PDA

View Full Version : [5e] The Power of Names (IC)

Sierim
2015-06-18, 10:02 PM
Chapter 1: Night at the Ball

The town square buzzes with activity, with Dame Dolnoy's play only half an hour away. The townsfolk have been bustling for over seats for the better part of an hour already, and the chaos on stage is hidden only by the noise and screen between it and the audience. What few seats remain are hotly contested, already requiring the guards to remove eleven patrons for three separate instances of fisticuffs.

Behind the curtain, Dolnoy can be heard arguing with one of the major patrons of the play. "I don't need any bodyguards, Korgan." She tells the baker dismissively. "But the Salt Tree elves--" Dolnoy cuts him off mid-sentence. "What about the elves? Last month it was the goblins, and now that they've gone quiet, you think my extended kin will disrupt the show?"

She sighs, then smiles at him. "Korgan, I know you mean well, but I am quite safe in these walls. Now leave me room to see to my play and find yourself a seat. I asked Sharmae to save you. Don't worry, Rayla will look after me." She winks, and the tiny hearth spirit in the lantern next to Dolnoy flexes and does her best to look ferocious.

Your character has been hired as a bodyguard by the baker Korgan--better known to the locals as Cousin Fatty--to look after Dame Dolnoy and ensure nothing happens to "Dolart's greatest treasure."

Hal, after scanning the crowd for a few minutes, you see a comely dwarf surrounded by three or four other dwarves, the latter of whom seem to be quite enamored with the first's appearance.

Zaftig, the dwarves are making remarks about showing you "a real ride"--as opposed to your boat--after the play, and don't seem to have realized (or perhaps simply don't care) that you're male.

Ahj, you're near enough to the dwarves to notice they're sufficiently drunk--not to mention distracted--to warrant investigation, be it of their pockets or by the guards.

Damarh, Ahj seems to have disappeared from your sights. The halfling was told to keep tabs with you, but has wandered off and is now lost to you in the crowd. The captain also told you to keep an eye out for another troublemaker who goes by Jesse.

Jesse, have you been getting into fistfights? or maybe egging them on?

ronlugge
2015-06-19, 02:13 AM
Damarh looks around for any sign of lawbreakers, continuing his patrol until he finds some or it's over.

Zergrinch
2015-06-19, 04:50 AM
Zaftig, the beardless dwarf, rolls his eyes at the three obviously inebriated dwarves: this kind of treatment, he'd almost always get whenever the ale starts to flow. He'd miss being treated this ever since he left the clan and set sail for the seas. And in truth, the experience has not become more pleasant for him over time.

The female-looking dwarf tries his best to ignore all comers and focus on the play. He isn't letting three drunk dwarves ruin his shore leave, no sirree.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-19, 07:41 AM
Ahj smiled to himself as he saw the first three picks for the night. People seemed to let the guard pretty much do what they wanted when being "investigated" and Ahj took advantage whenever he could. Luckily, the small metal circle pinned to his lapel let people know of his affiliation with the guard, since he abhorred wearing metal armor and was much, much shorter than the rest of them. As he approached them, he did his best to remain inconspicuous as he waded through the crowd. As he moved, he tried to spot Damarh, who was supposed to be "supervising" him tonight.

Sierim
2015-06-19, 09:27 AM
"Oh, come on, girly! We're just having--" the dwarf teeters as he leans forward, more falling than relaxing against the chair between you; he grunts as the air is half-knocked out of him. "--just having a bit of fun."

He tries and fails to give Zaftig and drunken wink, closing both eyes instead of one. "And maybe more than a bit afterwards."

The other two dwarves chuckle a little too loudly, and one of them pipes up, "Yeah, don't let the night end with Many Tears!" His double entendre on the evening's play (The Many Tears) seems to irritate dwarf next to you. "Hey! That was my line!"

The other other totters as he stands up straight and puffs out his chest. "Well, you didn't use it, did you? So I guess it's mine now." He lets out a belch and eyes the first.

It looks as though another round of fisticuffs is brewing, and with three drunken dwarves so close, it's fairly obvious you're in the way, Zaftig.

Any slight of hand/stealth checks made against the drunk dwarves have advantage.

Zergrinch
2015-06-19, 09:51 AM
An evil plot forms in Zaftig's mind as he realizes there is a simple way to end the harassment.

By fully embracing his perceived role.

"Now, now, boys. There's only one of me, and three of you. Ah want only the bravest and stoutest dwarf. Ah propose a punching contest. The last dwarf standing, ah'll have some FUN with tonight!" he tells them in the most falsetto feminine voice he could muster.

Take the Dodge action and watch the fun.

2015-06-19, 02:43 PM
Do mine ears deceive me?!" a raucous voice cries out. Striding into plain view comes a tall human with a luscious head of hear and a smile consisting of more teeth than you were aware could fit in a single skull.What foul villains be thee three, to accost a lady when your advances remain so spurned? M'lady, allow me to show these crass churls the error of their ways!" Without bothering to wait for an answer, he continued talking as if he was the one this audience had gathered for: "Gather your wits, cretins, for now will engage in fisticuffs with none other than Jesse N. Volure, dashing swordsman and gentleman adventurer extraordinaire!!"

Initiative: [roll0]

Sierim
2015-06-19, 03:25 PM
The apparent leader of the dwarves turns toward Jesse. "Fine, first you, then we sort this out. Get 'em, boys."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damarh, you hear the scuffle begin as several patrons scurry out of the way. It's roughly 60ft from you.

ronlugge
2015-06-19, 03:27 PM
"Just what I need," Damarh muttered to himself. "Break it up, break it up!" he ordered. "Break it up or I'll arrest all of you for disorderly conduct!"

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-19, 04:49 PM
Otto snickers to himself as the fight breaks out. He picks up the pace as he moves towards the action. Finally, some action![roll0]

Sierim
2015-06-19, 07:37 PM
As the first dwarf straightens himself up for the fight, one of the others pulls in front and gives a quick jab at Jesse's face.

[roll0] vs 14 AC
If it hits, 1 damage.

The blow lands squarely in the face, and the dwarf grins widely, turning and smiling at Zaftig and the others.

2015-06-19, 07:45 PM
As the dwarf turns his back to bask in the adulation of his allies, he sees only confused and slightly fearful looks on their faces...

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: 4 bludgeoning
...only for a great force to collide with the back of his head. "Dishonorable braggard!" Jesse cried out triumphantly. "You should know better than to turn your back on as capable an opponent as myself. If you could avoid doing that again, I would appreciate you at least trying to give me a challenge."

Sierim
2015-06-19, 08:13 PM
The dwarf stumbles into a chair, but gets back up, shaking his head. "Dirty scamp, aren't ya?" His allies seem less shocked and more angered by you, and the leader seems ready for trouble now.

ronlugge
2015-06-19, 09:50 PM
"I said break it up, all of you!" Damarh ordered. "Next one to throw a punch gets to spend the night in lockup!"

Frendle
2015-06-20, 12:51 AM
Hal shakes his head as he walks toward the scuffle. “My good guardsman, I believe I can straighten this out,” he faces the three Dwarfs, “my friends, allow me to introduce myself,I am Hal Understone Sr. If I may say, it seems you have been drinking far too much for so early in the night. You have failed to see that you are attempting to win the favor of a “Fellow” Dwarf.” Hal emphasizes the word and indicates Zaftig.

Then he turns toward Jesse, “Mr Volure, do I have that right? It does my heart good to see such gallantry, but perhaps a more peaceful solution can be found. After all, it’s a celebration!”

Entelechy
2015-06-20, 11:29 AM
[...]"Korgan, I know you mean well, but I am quite safe in these walls. Now leave me room to see to my play and find yourself a seat. I asked Sharmae to save you. Don't worry, Rayla will look after me." She winks, and the tiny hearth spirit in the lantern next to Dolnoy flexes and does her best to look ferocious.

Song clears her throat, as if her looming presence could possible be forgotten. Song stands wearing her chailmail, minus the the helm, with her hands folded on the pommel of a maul over half her height in length. The weather might not be best for the armour, but Song has worn it through far worse, and had used it as an excuse to leverage better pay. "And I will be here, too. Just to back us Rayla, if things get really wild." She adds.

Sierim
2015-06-20, 12:23 PM
"Fine, fine, on two conditions: first, keep your distance; I don't need the actors to be stumbling over you. Second, that armor's glint could distract from the play." Dolnoy calls over one of the stage hands, whispers something to her, and the young halfling rushes off. She comes back a short time later with a black shirt and a large black sack. Dolnoy motions to the shirt, "Put this on, if you please. And keep that weapon covered in this cloth; I don't want the children frightened by a specter of death mid-play."

Beyond the curtain you hear the shouting of a few drunken dwarves, and what sounds like the voice of a human, some hurried clamoring, and the shouts of a guard. Dolnoy sighs and wrings her hands. "I told them the ale was for after the play; I even provided my best bottled teas for the cake to stay them till we finished! A small glass for everyone and there'd be no trouble at all!"

You know that Bottled Beau, Dolnoy's bottled tea, is among the most renowned drinks in Dolart. None of you have ever met anyone who disliked it, even those who abhor tea. It seems to have a flavor none can resist, as well as an almost magical relaxing effect. The latter has led to its affectionate mispronouncing as "Boo," as in "Boos [booze] all 'round!" though it's nonalcoholic. Despite its pleasantness, many heavy drinkers in town outright refuse it, especially those who enjoy rowdy drunken brawls.

History checks are welcome.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-20, 05:25 PM
Right before Otto arrives to the brawl, Damarh steps in and breaks everything up as one of the dwarves lands a solid punch. He skids to a stop and stands up straight, looking around, before backing into the crowd again. "Well, that's no fun at all..."

Sierim
2015-06-20, 08:25 PM
The leader of the dwarves eyes Damarh carefully, then places a hand on the shoulder of the one Jesse punched. "Later." he says firmly. He turns back toward Jesse, and nods with a glare. "Later."

The dwarf looks back at Damarh and raises his hands. "A'ight, m'lord. No trouble from us. Boys..." He motions for them to follow, and they find a place to sit some twenty feet away.

A voice booms from the stage; those who turn see a small halfling, a local priest, speaking. "Thank you all for coming to this Long Night's event! Our own Dame Dolnoy has graced us this evening with her newest work, The Many Tears! We hope you all enjoy the show, which will begin in a few minutes, so please hurry to your seats!"

With a motion to the lanterns, the hearth spirits around the perimeter dim their light. The crowd quickly quiets and find places where they can.

The play begins with a calm, soothing song. A few children "ooh" and "ah," but their parents hush them.

Perception checks all around, please. If so desired, in the future, I will roll them myself. Right now, though, I'm short on time.

2015-06-20, 08:50 PM
Perception checks all around, please. If so desired, in the future, I will roll them myself. Right now, though, I'm short on time.

This is, I believe, one of the things Passive Perception is useful. Incidentally, Jesse's Passive Perception is 19.

After the fight splits up, Jesse makes his way back to his seat, keeping a watchful eye out the whole way. As the play began, Jesse began going through story structures and tropes in his mind, adding his own intellectual entertainment to the play taking place in front of him. As he took in every detail of the set and the characters, he thought he noticed something out of place...

Zergrinch
2015-06-20, 09:07 PM
Zaftig takes a seat as far from the horny dwarves as he possibly can, and behind to watch. He looks to be quite excited. Perhaps the prospect of even more fun after the play, watching drunk dwarves engaging in fisticuffs, appealed to his sense of vengeance. Or perhaps the fighter just enjoyed violence. Who knows?

Perception [roll0]

ronlugge
2015-06-21, 10:18 AM
Damarh steps back, nodding sharply as the fight breaks up, then glances around.

[roll0]

Entelechy
2015-06-21, 11:03 AM
With a shrug, Song slips the sack over the head of her maul. She struggles into the shirt over her chainmail. That done, she steps quickly to catch up with Dolnoy, her eyes alert for threats.

History [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-21, 01:14 PM
Otto dances around the floor as the lights go down, making his way back to the side of the stage, climbing his way up and back behind the curtain to where he belongs. He looks around, hoping Damarh hadn't seen him leave the area.Passive Perception is 19, but in case we're not using that one... [roll0]

Frendle
2015-06-21, 01:26 PM
Hal settles back down after the brawl and keeps an eye on things.

[roll0]

Sierim
2015-06-21, 04:10 PM
As the opening song continues, it picks up pace, and the hearth spirits brighten the scene, indicating a sunrise. The actors begin dancing onto the scene from stage left and stage right. A few children giggle happily, some calling out to friends they know on stage. As before, their families quickly hush them.

You see movement above the stage along the top of the stage batten, barely visible in the light. Several small creatures, obscured by the valance, crawl along the bar, stopping occasionally, then rushing forward, almost in unison. It seems highly unlikely this is an intended part of the play.

You notice an odd sway in the theater curtain, as well as movement of something--or perhaps several somethings--behind the valance.

From where you stand, you can see four or five small animals crawling along the stage batten. They seem to be stopping at the rope supports for the curtain, almost as if they were tampering with them. If the curtain were to fall now, its weighted bar would almost certainly land atop Dame Dolnoy!

Entelechy
2015-06-21, 05:40 PM
Song simply takes Dame Dolnoy around the waste and swings her out of harm's way before stepping out from under the bar herself. She points up at the animals in explanation.

I have about a 175-185lbs of unused carrying capacity, so I imagine I can pick up Dam Dolnoy and without any difficulty. Worse case, it would fall under Lift, Carry, Drag, which would limit my movement to 5ft, but should be plenty for clear her.

Zergrinch
2015-06-21, 05:52 PM
Zaftig sees a curious sway to the curtains, but after a few moments relaxed and continues watching the show. Evidently he has concluded that this is part of the spectacle.

2015-06-21, 06:11 PM
Jesse decides it's time to slip away and find a way up to where those creatures are. A brief sweep of the stage confirms that another is removing Dame Delnoy from the danger...which left confronting these villains to him. Jesse smiled as he made his way past the others seated to watch this spectacle; once he'd cleared the last person on the row and made his way to the shadows...

[roll0]

...it was almost as if he'd disappeared into thin air. Unnoticed by the general populace (and indeed, even the most perceptive of guardsmen), he made his way towards a spot where he thought he could climb up to where these would-be-assassins lay in waiting.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-22, 08:33 AM
Ahj looked atop the structure and his eyes widened when he saw what seemed like an organized group of critters skittering across it. Tampering with the curtain? But that would ruin the show! Ahj quickly looked around for the easiest way up to the buggers without distracting from the show, and then begins his ascent.Stealth: [roll0]
Acrobatics: [roll1]

2015-06-22, 08:41 AM
Jesse, easily noticing his fellow sneak, shurgs his shoulders and begins climbing towards the scaffolding himself, making sure not be noticed along the way.

The previous Stealth check should've only been for getting me to the back of the stage unnoticed; this one is for climbing up unnoticed. Incidentally, I wasn't sure if you wanted us to make Acrobatics or Athletics checks; either way, my bonus to those skills is +3, so it'll look the same in the roller.

Stealth: [roll0]
Acrobatics or Athletics (DM's choice): [roll1]

ronlugge
2015-06-22, 09:35 AM
Damarh sees the ripple in the curtain but ignores it, assuming it to just be stagehands or something setting up.

Sierim
2015-06-22, 10:07 AM
With a groan and a series of several loud snaps, the curtain lurches, then swings downward from stage right, slamming into the platform and throwing several performers aside like rag dolls! For a few seconds, many of the performers and stagehands are paralyzed with shock. You hear another loud groan, as the ropes above stage left begin to give way. The other end of the curtain comes down a split second later, landing where Dolnoy was before Song pulled her out of the way. It pins several of the actors who were too stunned to move.

The blow also dislodges several of the lanterns above, dropping them onto the stage and curtain. When they shatter, the startled the hearth spirits flee in random directions, spreading flames across the curtains and wooden stage.

In the audience, the laughter of children has become cries of terror. Since Dolnoy had arranged for families with young ones to have seating nearest the stage, there is a mad dash by parents and loved ones to grab their children and take them to safety, making reaching the stage to help difficult for the guards. Several proactive members of the guard and crowd rush to grab water, both local stores and further away from the Redwater.

Ahj, as you climb a ladder up the scaffolding, you see that the creatures atop the batten are rats. When the curtain falls, they scamper down the the scaffolding and rush from the stage. You hear several terrified squeaks as the hearth spirit flames spread across the stage.

Jesse, you also see the rats, several of which rush right by you as they escape the stage, oblivious (or perhaps terrified to indifference) to your presence. [[Did Jesse use a ladder, or look for a more dramatic location to climb?]]

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-22, 10:17 AM
On his way up the ladder, Ahj notices the creatures skitter away from the scaffolding and the distraction causes him to miss a rung and he falls from the latter to the stage. Standing up and shaking it off, he turns to the crowd. "Damarh! We have a situation!" He scrambles over to help pick the fallen curtain off of the performers, but his strength was not his strong suit.

ronlugge
2015-06-22, 10:22 AM
"I rather noticed!" Damarh snapped back, rushing in to try and organize things. "You, you, and you," he picked out three relatively burly audience members by the simple expedient of grabbing their collars, "with me! We're going to need help to contain this situation, and you're it!"

Damarh rushed to the stage to help unpin cast members.

Zergrinch
2015-06-22, 10:24 AM
At first, Zaftig allows the puny human to just about drag him by his collar - so complete was his shock at the recent events. Then his fighter training takes over, and the dwarf follows the sorcerer on his own two feet.

"Where do ye need me, lad?"

2015-06-22, 10:39 AM
Jesse appears, seemingly from nowhere, to help; he whips out a crowbar and his waterskin. "Alright, we need a bucket brigade, and we need people rescuing actors. Pick a job and get on it. Everyone who's not doing on of those things needs to clear out of the theatre in a calm and orderly manner. If anybody's capable of summoning a large amount of water via magic, now's the time.: His part said, Jesse turned to the trapped actors and began lifting the various stage pieces off of them, via liberal application of his crowbar as a makeshift lever.

Firstly, here's a straight Cha check to attempt to influence the crowd to work more smoothly throughout all this; if you think a Persuasion check is more appropriate than a general Cha check, add 2 to the result.

Charisma: [roll0]

Secondly, I'm making an active Perception/Insight check combo to see if anybody in the crowd seems to be acting suspicious.

Perception: [roll1]
Insight: [roll2]

Crowbar gives advantage on Str checks when it can be applied. I'm attempting to free one of the stuck actors.

Strength (use the better roll):
---[roll3]
---[roll4]

Entelechy
2015-06-22, 11:05 AM
Song slips her maul into its harness, and speak quickly to Dame Dolnoy as she walks towards the centre of the bar.

"Please stay with me, Dame Dolnoy, so I can help these people. Within four feet. If you leave, I'll have to go with you," She says. Then she squats down, takes the bar by the centre section, and lifts it up, and walks it clear of people before dropping it again.

Sierim
2015-06-22, 11:07 AM
A dozen or so able-bodied men and women hurry to help, most with the water, and three with the weighted rod. The crowd in general, however, is still panicked, especially near the front, and with them Jesse's voice goes unheard or unheeded. In addition, the hearth spirits are similarly panicked, and still rushing about randomly for fear of trampling feet.

Because of the number of people aiding, you all are able to lift the curtain rod off the actors and pull them to safety. Two are badly injured, and one unconscious.

Arcana or Nature checks (pick one; if you have Animal Handling, you get advantage on this roll). Alternatively, History with disadvantage.

The area is chaos; if something is happening in the crowd, you find anything out of the ordinary for such extraordinary a situation is difficult to discern.

Result of Nature roll: You know that hearth spirits like small, dry, enclosed places, and the more kindling, the better. Perhaps if you could find something that fit this description, you could coax them back to safety. [[Hint: This is an excellent place for props.]]

Zergrinch
2015-06-22, 09:15 PM
Zaftig tries his best to administer rudimentary first aid to the injured actors. After which, he will attempt to aid in pacifying the wayward hearth spirits.

Medicine: [roll0]
Nature (with advantage due to animal handling proficiency): [roll1] [roll2]

Entelechy
2015-06-23, 12:40 AM
"Dame Dolnoy, until the fire under control, I need to get you out. The smoke isn't safe, the building isn't safe. If you make me carry you out, I wouldn't be able to bring anyone wounded out with us. We're going now, okay?" Song says firmly, to the same.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-23, 09:28 AM
Ahj dances around helping the able-bodied and able-sized people gather the injured. As he collects his wits, he notices the hearth spirits dancing around and wonders if there is some way to stop them from spreading the fire.
[roll0]

2015-06-23, 09:32 AM
As Jesse takes out his tinderbox (it's not much, but it's better than nothing), he looks around to see if any of the fallen beams have been damaged enough to have pieces splinter off.

Perception: [roll0]

Sierim
2015-06-23, 09:50 AM
Dolnoy nods and follows, apparently still in shock from what just happened to her play, gripping Rayla's lantern tightly. However, something catches her eye, and instead of proceeding with you to one of the buildings that circles the square, she makes a sharp turn and hurries toward one of the injured patrons still in the seating area.

ronlugge
2015-06-23, 09:55 AM
Damarh attempts to take charge of the situation, focusing on getting the wounded carried out.

Entelechy
2015-06-23, 10:33 AM
Song growls a curse and hurries after Dolnoy on her tangent.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-23, 11:57 AM
As Ahj looked out over the crowd he noticed that he couldn't find the critters who had chewed through the supports. Leaping back up on stage he vaulted over the fallen curtain to the back stage area, scanning the surroundings for the little things that had run across the scaffolding. "Here here, little rats... come out come out wherever you are!"

Frendle
2015-06-23, 12:36 PM
Hal stands with a look of amazement on his face, then he quickly runs toward the wounded, giving aid with healing and comfort.

Here is a series of medicine checks on wounded folks brought out.

Medicine checks

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

2015-06-23, 05:00 PM
Spotting what he was looking for, Jack rushed over to one of the fallen beams and swept the multitude of beam-splinters into a pile roughly the size of a tumbleweed. Hoping this would draw the attention of the wayward hearth spirits, he began looking for his noble friend, the illustrious Dame Dolnoy.

Would I have already noticed her leaving the room?

Sierim
2015-06-23, 08:58 PM
As Jesse piles the splinters together, several hearth spirits dive into the collection. It smolders, the flames far calmer than those they lit in their panic. Dame Dolnoy can be seen kneeling next to a human, though at this distance and lighting it's difficult to tell who it is.

Song, however, can see that it is Korgan, the baker who hired her to guard Dolnoy. He nurses a head wound, and begins to lift himself up as Dolnoy approaches. "Stay still." she tells him. "Sharmae is probably getting water; we'll take care of you soon." Korgan shakes his head and winces. "No...no! They took him! Knocked me over the head and ran with him! I told you this was a bad idea, Dolnoy!"

Backstage, Ahj finds no sign of the rats; it seems they've fled into the night with nary a trace.

Several of the townsfolk return with water and do their best to douse the flames. Others grab cloth from the backstage for bandages and makeshift bedding. Altogether sixteen were injured on stage; thankfully, most of the injuries are minor, small cuts and burns, aside from the three who were caught beneath the beam.

Entelechy
2015-06-23, 10:36 PM
"Stay down, and stay still. I've seen men cripple themselves moving too much when hurt. Don't move your head" Song says as she take the sack off the head of her maul. She stuffs it with the shirt Dolnoy gave her, to make an improvised pillow, gently guides Korgan back down onto it.

"Now, tell me exactly what I need to know, and what you want me to do about it," She says, leaning over him and looking him directly in the eye so he isn't tempted to turn or lift his head.

Zergrinch
2015-06-24, 04:56 AM
At a loss of how to make himself more useful, Zaftig ushers out all the unharmed onlookers and kibitzers, and shortly returns to the stage.

"What happen? Someone set up us the bomb?"

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-24, 07:57 AM
Ahj's ears perk when he hears the baker screaming. He hurries over. "Took him? Took who?"

ronlugge
2015-06-24, 09:55 AM
Damarh pulled his head up and away from trying to organize the evacuation.

Sierim
2015-06-24, 08:12 PM
"The local thresher, Sharmae. He was sitting next to me when the curtain fell. We both jumped to help, then somebody grabbed us." He shows his shirt arm, which has multiple tears and several small gashes beneath them. "We fought back, but they were too strong for us. I couldn't see them clearly. I don't know; could've been the elves. One hit me with a club or something before I got a good look. Knocked me out cold."

He looks away, wincing again, then looks back at Song. "As for what I want you to do...what can we do? It's the Long Night! Whoever did this has cover of darkness and likely the blessing of darker spirits with blood on their hands."

At this point there are lots of available options in terms of skills. The work with the stage is mostly under control now, and if any out of hearing range come over, Korgan will repeat himself.

If you make an investigation check and have a paired relevant skill, such as history/religion and questions about the Long Night, you may use either passive score (in this case, investigation or history/religion) or make a roll with advantage. Because of how much information could be uncovered here, I will do my best to steer information gathered toward the plot relevant. Questions may be asked OOC or IC, though for the moment I'd prefer OOC because waiting turns isn't necessary.

A note about my writing style: in a game like this, I follow the rule of conservation of detail; if I point something out, there's likely something useful to remember/investigate about it.

Zergrinch
2015-06-24, 10:16 PM
Zaftig overhears the baker's account, implying that elves were complicit in the disaster and that someone has been spirited away. His evening is now ruined, and the fighter appears to be eager to crack a few heads.

"Listen," he speaks up, "Anyone with a prisoner can't travel that fast. Do we have any good trackers here? If the baker shows us where the abduction happened, maybe we can find a clue that will lead us to the villains!"

Investigation: [roll0]
Tracking - Survival: [roll1]
Advantage Survival Roll, if applicable: [roll2]

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-25, 08:53 AM
Ahj slouches, one hand on his hip and the other rubbing the back of his neck. "He's right, there isn't much someone moving in the Long Night can do. I'm not much of a tracker, but I know how to move in the dark. And if there's magic afoot, be it spirits or just witchcraft," he grins wolfishly. "Then I say we pursue."

2015-06-25, 10:41 AM
With a satisfied look on his face, Jesse suddenly feels his drama senses going off, and wanders towards where a large group of people are gathered around another with concerned looks on their faces. With no small amount of delight, he noticed the guard and the female dwarf he'd met earlier.

"Compatriots!" he called out as he approached the group, "While I was busy putting out the stage fire and saving the lives of the trapped actors, I noticed the peculiar fraying of the ropes the held up the fallen beams and rods, no doubt chewed through by the rats I saw in the rigging prior to the accident. I think..." he pauses for dramatic effect, "...this was a set-up."

"Perhaps one of you has an idea of what the purpose was? Theft, arson, kidnapping? Perhaps even...murder?!

Zergrinch
2015-06-25, 10:52 AM
Zaftig rolls his eyes (in his head) at Jesse's dramatics.

"Someone's done this and spirited away the thresher. I say some of us try to follow his kidnappers' tracks, while others try to find out why he was taken. Maybe his house or place of business holds some clues?"

ronlugge
2015-06-25, 01:36 PM
"Arson, kidnapping, assault..." Damarh moans. "The paperwork on this one is going to be a tin-plated bitch."

"But that can wait. For now, we need to find the victim. Anyone have any ideas, because frankly... I'm fresh out. The crowd destroyed what evidence there was."

2015-06-25, 01:49 PM
"Hmm..." Jesse mused aloud. "Acting under the assumption that this kidnapping and the accident are connected--not exactly a difficult deduction--we can assume that this group was able to get close by without their presense arousing suspicion. Furthermore, they were sonehow able to direct several rats to carry out their bidding." He was silent for a moment. "Perhaps...have you ticked off any local druids lately? Hrm..."

"Of course, we can't assume the kidnapping was just to get at you. We could be dealing with some sort of sacrifical cult here, although I would think that walking around in dark cloaks wearing a demon's unholy symbol would make one more than a bit conspicuous."

Sierim
2015-06-25, 02:28 PM
Korgan's eyes go wide. "Rats? Druids? What did I tell you, Dolnoy?! Those Salt Tree elves have it out for you!"

You all are aware of the Salt Tree elves, a collection of fey who live in the Salt Trees to the north of Dolart. A history check may reveal more.

Entelechy
2015-06-25, 03:16 PM
"This might not have been a kidnapping. Coulda been something smart hunting. Look at Korgan's wounds. That's claws or teeth that made that." Song says.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-25, 05:06 PM
Ahj sits on the ground, cross legged and rests his elbows on his knees to prop his chin in his hands. "Druids? Salt Tree Elves? Sounds like my kinda gig. Damarh," he turns his eyes but not his head. "We should pursue the elves." Back to Korgan. "Why do the elves hate the Dame?"

Entelechy
2015-06-26, 12:20 AM
Song loudly clears her through. "Dame Dolnoy is right here. You're being rude talking about her like she ain't," She says to the man sitting cross legged.

Zergrinch
2015-06-26, 01:01 AM
"Huh. Elves that suck on salty trees. Now I've heard everything."

What does Zaftig know about Salt Tree Elves? History: [roll0]

After it became clear that the tracks were too jumbled to track, the dwarf gives a sigh.

"I don't suppose anyone knows where he works and lives? Maybe if we can find out why he was abducted, we would know who abducted him."

ronlugge
2015-06-26, 01:50 AM
"Salt tree elves?" Damarh asked, surprised.

[roll0]

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-26, 09:11 AM
Ahj shrugs. "Meant no disrespect. I figured the man pointing fingers might have more insight than the woman he's pointing fingers at." He stays seated, and doesn't move his arms from their position. "So anyway, what do the salt elves have against you, ma'am?" His head doesn't move, but his eyes move to the Dame. [roll0]

Frendle
2015-06-26, 12:15 PM
Moving through the group of hurt townfolk, Hal stops at the Baker and leans over him to check his injuries.

Medicine roll on the Baker to determine extent of injuries. [roll0]
If the injuries appear life threatening then Hal will use a cure wounds on the Baker.

If not, then he will bandage and inform him that he should see the healer in the morning and to watch for dizziness etc.

Hal is listening to the conversation as he ministers to the Baker and when he is finished he stands up and addresses the group surrounding the fallen man.

"I believe we should set out as soon as possible to find the kidnappers. Obviously they are willing to go to great lengths to abduct their target. I am willing to provide whatever help I can to this end. By the way, I am Hal Understone Sr. these are not the best of circumstances, but pleased to make your acquaintances." Hal bows to all those present.

Sierim
2015-06-26, 02:51 PM
Dolnoy, though apparently flustered by the whole situation, nods to Song in thanks. "The Salt Tree elves are my kin, and live in the Salt Trees just north of here. As forest itself is home to spirits of passions, those who linger tend to succumb to the same. They also to hold on to whatever they consider their own, often unto violence."

"And you left them!" the baker interrupts. "I told you they'd find a way into the city!"

Dame Dolnoy pauses and frowns. "But this isn't like them. They're passionate, yes, but extremely focused in their passion. Kidnapping is too drawn out, and they do that to claim a prize."

Korgan's eyes narrow, looking at Dolnoy, "Unless the goal is to hurt someone else through loss." She opens her mouth at his comment, then closes it without a word. It is clear Korgan knows more than he's saying. With Dolnoy's silence, he takes the floor, "What she hasn't told you is the Salt Tree elves have many druids in their ranks. I'm sure rats would be no trouble for them to direct."

The wounds seem wrong to you; definitely not from any type of humanoid you know, but not quite animal either. In addition, the marks are deep all like puncture wounds, with claw marks going in, then coming out, but in a grip form, with no raking damage to the tissue around. From what you can tell, whatever did this wasn't forced to let go: it simply let go.

What Korgan says about the elves rings true; you do know them to have druids. Dolnoy's information also sounds accurate, though how focused their passions are is beyond your knowledge.

Both Korgan and Dolnoy's words are true to the best of your knowledge, though your understanding implies more. Salt Tree elves leaving the woods is almost unheard of, and when they do, other elves have never been known to follow or cause them harm. In addition, those elves that leave, while often passionately artistic, are generally quite level-headed. It's as if the wild passions of the Salt Tree elves extend to the forest's edge and no further.

2015-06-26, 03:08 PM
"I have spent time among the Salt Tree Elves myself," Jesse pipes up, "and while their passions are quite vigorous, it's rare that they extend beyond the purview of their forest home. I can't imagine what would prompt such a kidnapping from their general populace, but it would certainly make sense if one of them had a particular vendetta against you."

He pauses briefly as a=two new thoughts occurs to him. "I've thought of two potential motives. Firstly, it's possible that an enemy or rival of yours around town knows of your elven kin and thought to frame them in this kidnapping, assuming that people would believe their passions drove them to commit this kidnapping, despite such an act not fitting with their general modus operandi. Secondly, if you are kin to the Salt Tree Elves, then so too is your daughter; is it possible that one of your kinsmen wished for your daughter to have the opportunity to experience her heritage and culture?"

...and that's what Jesse gets for wandering into the conversation halfway through. Oh well...maybe someone else can make more sense of this than I can, since I apparently haven't been paying attention to which NPC is which.

Sierim
2015-06-26, 03:42 PM
Dolnoy looks confused. "My daughter?" She laughs, perhaps for the absurdity of the moment. "Do you mean Rayla?" She holds up the lantern containing the blue hearth spirit. "Many of the townsfolk call her my daughter, saying I dote on her. She is the closest thing I have to one..." Her voice trails off, and Korgan glares in Jesse's directly. He apparently hit a nerve.

Zergrinch
2015-06-26, 06:21 PM
Dolnoy suddenly went silent, and Zaftig finds out somewhat strange. Is she hiding something?

Insight: [roll0]

ronlugge
2015-06-26, 07:37 PM
Damarh knelt down beside Dolnoy and looked back and forth between her and Korgan. "I understand your desire to keep secrets," he said softly. "We all have secrets we'd like to keep. But it sounds like your secrets touch on the current disaster. Perhaps you should consider telling us what we need to know, so we can help as best we can."

"If you keep your allies in the dark, only your enemies prosper. Especially when they probably already know whatever secrets you keep."

[roll0]

Sierim
2015-06-29, 10:23 AM
Dolnoy shakes her head. "I don't know what others would use against me here. I don't have a daughter. I...I can't have a daughter. Or a son. I don't know why, I just can't." She looks back at Korgan, her emotions flowing more raw now, "And why would my kin care what happens to me? I'm already dead to them: a dead end!"

She muffles a cough to reconstitute herself, then answers Zaftig, "Do you know the building to the east with the two grain sieves above the door? That's Sharmae's home. He does his work there as well."

Any character in the party who lives/works in Dolart knows where this is. It's not more than a five minute walk from where you are now.

As far as you can tell, she's simply distraught. Her trailing off seems more due to uncovering old wounds on top of the stress of the moment than wanting to hide something.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-06-29, 01:04 PM
Ahj sits up straight, cracks his neck to the right while stretching, and stretches his arms out straight above his head. "So, no kin. No reason for the Elves to take their discontent with you out on the thresher boy. If he works down in that building, I guess that's as good a spot as any to start." He places his palms on his knees to stand himself up, looking squarely at Dame Dolnoy. [roll0]

Zergrinch
2015-06-29, 09:46 PM
Apparently feeling somewhat awkward with the situation, the dwarf gruffly announces that he will be headed towards the thresher's home to investigate. He turns to leave, but sheepishly adds, "Where is it again?"

Sierim
2015-06-30, 11:35 AM
You arrive at the thresher Sharmae's home after a few minutes' walk. This area of town is quiet, as most of the town have either shut themselves in for the duration of the Long Night or are at the inns discussing the misadventure of Dolnoy's play. The door, though locked, uses a simple mechanism, and your group has little trouble opening it.

Those who go inside find the following: Behind a wooden counter, just to the right of the entrance, is a threshing floor. Several winnowing and sieving tools lean against the wall. Among other items in the area are several boxes, some containing chaff, others grain. To the left are additional boxes, apparently prepared to be delivered, and a wicker cage trap, likely to capture rodents after the grain stores.

Through a doorway at the back of the room, covered by a curtain, is Sharmae's sleeping quarters. The room is furnished with a small stove (a hearth spirit can be heard snoring quietly inside), a simple bed, a meager nightstand, and a clothes chest.

Zergrinch
2015-07-01, 02:32 AM
Zaftig starts tapping the ground and walls for any signs of a hollowed recess, such as a trapdoor or a hiding place.

Investigatin', yo. [roll0]. <-- watch me roll a zero.

Sierim
2015-07-01, 01:20 PM
While you don't find any compartment hollows, you do find several mouse holes. However, besides these and the wicker cage, there are no signs of mice anywhere. Odd, considering all of the grain stored in his house. It would have been reasonable to expect to see rodents fleeing as you entered.

2015-07-01, 01:27 PM
"What a quaint little home!" Jesse proclaims as he crosses the threshold, giving the room a quick once-over glance. "Reminds me of the home I grew up in, actually. The smell of freshly threshed grain, the pitter patter of tiny rodent feet..." He pauses, as if cocking one ear. "...or it would remind me of it, if there were any to be heard. Perhaps this is the work of the same roderemancer that caused the ruckus at the play?"

To notice anything obviously abnormal in the threshing room.
Passive Perception: 19
Passive Investigation: 16

To try and find any clues as to the kidnapping.
[roll0]

Let's see how I did...

Sierim
2015-07-01, 01:54 PM
Apart from the absence of mice, also you notice the wicker cage has no bait. In fact, given the dust on the floor around it, it was only recently placed where it now sits, perhaps within the last day or two.

Zergrinch
2015-07-01, 08:57 PM
Zaftig looks puzzled at his companion's apparent fixation with minutia. "Who cares about the lack of rats?" he asked. "It's a blessing not to have any of them underfoot."

The dwarf fighter stomps into the room, and cautiously opens all the boxes in the threshing room. While he does this mundane task, his subconscious mind is at work processing this new information.

Rolling for any knowledge about the implication of a lack of rats. [roll0]. <-- I bet this is a single digit roll again.
If this is Insight, add 1. If this is Animal Handling, add 3. If this is Investigation, subtract 1.

Sierim
2015-07-01, 10:23 PM
The boxes appear mundane, though again lacking any sign of rats or mice. You do know that grain workers often consult with druids regarding rat problems, as legends tell of spirits taking revenge on those who poison or otherwise kill rats. Still, this leaves the wicker cage out of place. If Sharmae did work with a druid, why the cage? Perhaps he wanted to catch something else.

Something else stands out to you: each of the boxes is labeled with the name of the person or place it is due. The labels appear to follow a natural route, stacked descending from nearest to farthest. Except the bottom box. It is labeled as going to Dame Dolnoy, who, from your knowledge of the city, should fall in the middle somewhere among the other private homes.

Zergrinch
2015-07-01, 10:49 PM
Zaftig opens the box addressed to Dolnoy, and looks inside.

Entelechy
2015-07-02, 12:09 AM
"Sir," Song says to Dolart, "You hired my to guard Dame Dolnoy during the play, and things have become rather chaotic. Do you want to extend my contract to protect Dame Dolnoy?"

Sierim
2015-07-02, 06:52 PM
Korgan nods distractedly. "Yes. Yes, see her home. We don't want to give those ruffians another chance at harming the lady. I'd do so myself, but..." he pauses, then nods to his arm and up to the wound on his head. "Well, it's obvious I'm no match for them, and you're a capable warrior. You've already saved her once. I'll go to my bakery, Cousin Fatty's. I have some priest purified water for my goods and clean cloths to bandage these scratches."

~~~

Back at the thresher's, Zaftig opens the box addressed to Dolnoy. Inside is chaff rather than grain, along with a single purple flower. The flower appears to almost sparkle, even without light shining directly on it.

Nature check to identify the flower; advantage with proficiency in Medicine. Would have been passive, but nobody had the score for it.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-07-02, 09:54 PM
Ahj watches the others as they investigate the building, unsure of where to go from here. He sits in the doorway, watching. Keeping an eye out. He looks for anything at all out of the ordinary, but when the thresher was taken it wasn't from this building so he was unsure what he was hoping to find. One of the others pulls a flower from the box listed for Dolnoy. "The order seems off. But at the same time, I thought we had ruled the Dame out as a target..."

Zergrinch
2015-07-02, 10:23 PM
A sparkling purple flower? Zaftig has no time for such sentimentality. If the thresher had a fondness for the dame, that was his business.

With a snort, he passes it to his fellow dwarf (Hal Undertone, Sr.). "તમે આ શું કરી શકું?" he asks the cleric in Dwarvish.
What do you make of this?

Nature check to identify flower: [roll0].

Pushing thoughts about flowers out of his mind, the dwarf continues his methodical investigation of the thresher's residence by heading towards the man's sleeping quarters and opening up any drawers, chests, and cabinets he can see.

I'm not sure an investigation check is warranted, but ehhh... [roll1]

Sierim
2015-07-03, 12:40 PM
The flower is an aconitum, also known as devil's hood, mousebane, blue rocket, and Queen of all Poisons. It is deadly if ingested or ground into a paste to poison a blade, but perfectly harmless to the touch. Mind you don't get it in a wound, though.

Sharmae's nightstand contains a comb, quill pen, journal, and a small bottle of ointment, while his clothes chest contains exactly what one would expect. You also notice it sits a few inches too high on the interior, indicating a false bottom. As Zaftig tampers with the chest, a few dust bunnies scurry out from under it. It seems the thresher wasn't terribly worried about more spirited pests, judging by the dust around his furniture.

Zergrinch
2015-07-03, 07:45 PM
Muttering to no one particular about "poisonous flowers" and the "Queen of all Poisons", Zaftig continues his search by fiddling with every last inch of the thresher's chest to look for a catch that opens the false bottom.

Skill check: [roll0]
If Investigation, subtract 1.
If Sleight of hand, add 2.

Sierim
2015-07-03, 09:48 PM
In addition to its value as a poison, you also know the aconitum (the flower Zaftig handed you) is used in a number of rituals. Among them are those of summoning, warding, and lycanthropy. In each case, it serves as a conduit for transformation, a symbol of life and death.

The chest does not appear to have any catch or other opening mechanism, but a blade or other thin object could be used to pry the false bottom from the interior.

Entelechy
2015-07-03, 10:27 PM
Song nods. She takes the sack off the end of her maul, then nods to Dame Dolnoy, "My lady. I may escort you home, but I might recogmend staying somewhere else tonight. With a relative, or a room at an inn. It's best not to be where you are expected."

Zergrinch
2015-07-03, 11:55 PM
Zaftig takes a crossbow bolt and tries to pry open the false bottom.

ronlugge
2015-07-04, 01:40 AM
Damarh looks around with wide eyes at the thorough investigation everyone else was managing.

Sierim
2015-07-04, 02:20 PM
As Zaftig pries the false bottom from the chest interior, the strong smell of herbs wafts from below. Inside are a number of plants, including more aconitums, peppermint, and lavender organized in a delicate pattern. In addition, several small candles sit at the corners of the chest. Given how one of the candles is still stuck to the false bottom fron when Zaftig lifted it, as well as scorch marks on the other corners, it appears the candles were still alight when the board was placed over them.

The design indicates some sort of ritual, though nothing terribly malevolent from your experience, given all the materials are plant or animal byproducts.

Pressed against the side of the board, perhaps having fallen between the false bottom and inner wall earlier, is a paper note. It reads, "If the rats give you any more trouble, let me know."

~~~

Dame Dolnoy agrees to your suggestion and suggests you take her to the Inn and Out for the night. Before leaving town square, she grabs a few items from the stage chest--"For anonymity's sake," she says--and makes a simple but effective disguise for herself. It seems unlikely anyone will notice her, as she also changes her voice and gait almost naturally.

Zergrinch
2015-07-04, 07:33 PM
Evidently satisfied there was nothing malevolent in the chest, Zaftig keeps the note, as well as a few acotinum flowers to later coat his weapons in.

The dwarf now focuses his attention on the journal and starts to read it.

Entelechy
2015-07-05, 10:24 AM
Song raises an eyebrow. "That's a startling talent. What should I call you, now?" she asked as they walked to the Inn.

Sierim
2015-07-06, 06:31 AM
Sharmae's journal relates the details of his comings and goings over the past several months. Among the things that stand out is a relationship with Dolnoy, which the entries imply is something of a secret, and a recent problem with rats. It seems Sharmae has repeatedly found rodents in his bedroom, specifically around his personal belongings. While you gather that he contacted a local druid, pages with names are missing, with several torn or entirely removed.

Near the end, after one such torn page, you read "...y's tonight and ask for advice. May get a clue what she likes. He's known her longer."

Just then, you hear the skittering of tiny feet along the sill outside.

~~~

"Call me Sin," Dolnoy says coyly. "And how else would I be? To perform, one mustn't play the part, one must become it."

As you both walk into the inn, she whispers, "If you wish me to remain unknown, keep your distance for now. Several stage hands saw you tonight, and Korgan made it clear he wished you to guard Dame Dolnoy."

Zergrinch
2015-07-06, 07:54 AM
The skittering greatly annoys the dwarf, and he stomps outside to squash a few rats.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-07-06, 02:53 PM
Ahj reaches out instinctively to stop the one prying open the chest, then recoils and covers his eyes. When nothing happens, he breathes a sigh of relief. When it's his turn, he takes the journal and sits down cross-legged again to read it. As he skims through the pages, he tries to make sense of it while looking around for any remnants of the pages.

When the skittering starts, his head whips on a swivel to the door. "More rats? This doesn't sound good to me..." his voice trails off as he tosses the book onto the closest box and creeps over to the wall.

Entelechy
2015-07-06, 03:44 PM
Song nods gravely. "The better solution is for us to flirt publicly. Guards become distracted all the time, and people won't find it strange for us to take a room together."

Zergrinch
2015-07-07, 09:53 AM
Zaftig sees a couple of rats scurrying about. The dwarf takes out his belaying pin and clubs them to death!

Sierim
2015-07-07, 12:49 PM
The pained squeak of the rats clubbed by Zaftig only seems to heighten the sound of skittering. Now they can be heard going over the roof, under the flooring, and in the walls. In addition, rats can be seen coming from other buildings toward the thresher's home.

Roll for Initiative!

~~~

Inside the Inn, several dwarves are sitting at the bar, grumbling about their ill luck with the ladies, a mouthy human, and absent friends. Apart from the dwarves, the area is relatively quiet. You notice several empty bottles lying about, and a rich, soothing smell, rather than a reek of alcohol. "Sin" walks up to the barkeep and speaks with him, and returns shortly with two wine glasses holding a yellow-green liquid. "Boos for two." she says, handing Song one. The scent of the drink leaves no doubt: it's Beau. "Strong as dwarven ale without any of the unwanted side effects." She takes a sip from her glass.

ronlugge
2015-07-07, 04:25 PM
Damarh snatched up his dagger and readied himself to stab a couple of rats.

[roll0]

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-07-08, 03:24 PM
Back up against the wall, Ahj loads a bolt into his crossbow as he pulls it off his back.[roll0]

Zergrinch
2015-07-08, 06:42 PM
Zaftig hurriedly grinds one of the poisonous flowers into a paste, and coats his battleaxe in the residue.

Initiative: [roll0]

Entelechy
2015-07-09, 01:58 AM
"I have been in town a few days, Sin. You learn what Boos is pretty quick," Song said with a wink and a smile. Reaching for hers, she knocks it over onto Dame Dolnoy, "Ah Hells. Sorry, Sin, I can be clumsy. Too much strength."

ronlugge
2015-07-11, 08:23 PM
Damage: [roll1]

Damarh stabs at the first rat to enter his reach.

Sierim
2015-07-12, 01:37 PM
Damarh's repeated attacks against the swarm strike true, as four of the tiny creatures fall dead. Rather than scatter, however, the swarm wraps around his legs, scurrying upward. An especially large rat stops along the lower thigh of Damarh's right leg and attempts to bite through his clothing. Its teeth sink deep, but still fail to break through the cloth.

Damage: [roll1]
The swarm is currently in your space. All all attacks (besides your own) against the swarm attacking you will hit you on a miss. Alternatively, the damage can be negated by attacking with disadvantage.

Outside, one of the swarms rushes around a large rain barrel and sweeps across Zaftig's feet and up his legs as well. Several of the small rats scratch at his hips as they move upward toward his backpack. Their tiny claws are ineffective, however, only managing to leave white scratch marks on his clothing.

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
The swarm is currently in your space. All all attacks (besides your own) against the swarm attacking you will hit you on a miss. Alternatively, the damage can be negated by attacking with disadvantage.

Inside the house, rats can be heard moving along the rooftop and down the sides of the walls. Moments later, you hear them scampering through the walls themselves, then in the back room. The sounds of hundreds of tiny feet continue as rats begin pouring out of the mouse holes to the left of the entry door.

Zergrinch
2015-07-13, 09:18 PM
Uttering several curses about these godforsaken rodents, Zaftig drops his backpack to the ground, throws his considerable bulk (261 pounds) on the swarm at his feet, and starts rolling on the ground and crushing dozens of the creatures with ease.

It probably didn't occur to the dwarf that he would likely regret such a course of action later, when he and his chain mail begin to smell like dead rats.

I attack the rats with my magnificent bulk!

To hit: [roll0].
Damage to be determined by DM.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-07-15, 08:44 AM
Ahj watches, horrified, as the large dwarf uses his mass to crush the swarm of rats surrounding them. Thinking quickly, he turns his head away from the window behind him and smashes it with the butt of his crossbow. As the rats begin to skitter to where he stands, he takes a few steps back before running and vaulting over the windowsill... And as he pushes off with his free hand, he performs a stunning front flip, firing his crossbow into the swarm of rats as they close in on the spot he just stood in. Landing on his feet, free hand palm open on the ground to steady himself, Ahj stands and dusts himself off before turning to assess the building infested with the vermin.[roll0] to see if he can pull it off...

Zergrinch
2015-07-15, 09:29 PM
Puppeteering Hal Undertone, Sr. (Sent Frendle a PM days ago, he didn't reply, so I'm assuming Hal is abandoned)Hal Undertone Initiative: [roll0]

"So much rodents can't be helpful to the health of the city! I am sorry, my little friends, but by fire, thou shalt be purged! I will make it quick."

The dwarven cleric hurriedly exits the dwelling, and summons the radiance of Pelor which descends on a swarm of rats that's not already attacking someone else.

Sacred Flame: Swarm must make [roll1] + DEX mod DC 13 save, else [roll2] radiant damage.

Assuming that an entire swarm can make a single save, of course.

Sierim
2015-07-15, 10:23 PM
The rats screech in pain from the fiery attack, and the majority of the swarm scatters away from Zaftig, only to be rounded back up by the largest in the group. There's a certain cunning in the eyes of that one.

Within the house, Ahj sees another of these large rats, which appears to give order to the smaller ones, guiding them toward specific tasks.

Zergrinch
2015-07-15, 10:31 PM
Zaftig continues frolicing in the ground, squashing rats right and left. His burly backside rolls over the cunning-looking rat, and it mewls pitifully as the heavyset dwarf rolls into it and hopefully crushes it to death.

Action/Move: Continue rolling on the ground and crushing the rats. But roll towards a wall. To hit: [roll0]. Damage: [roll1].

ronlugge
2015-07-16, 09:13 AM
Once again Damarh lays about himself with his dagger.

[roll0][roll1]

Sierim
2015-07-17, 11:53 AM
As Zaftig rolls, the remaining rats scatter. The larger rat scurries out of the way, apparently aware of the dwarf's intentions. It then turns and takes advantage of Zaftig lying on the ground and bites at his neck. Zaftig's movements are too fast, however, and the rat is unable to keep enough of a grip to bite down, much less harm him.

Attack (with advantage): [roll0], [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
The rat swarm outside has dispersed, but the large rat remains. Rolling on the ground will not harm the lone rat.

The rats atop Damarh crawl into his backpack pack producing an eerie, tickling feeling along his back, while others try to slip beneath his clothes and into his boots, biting as they go. Their efforts, however, amount to little more than a painful itching.

Attack (advantage, as they still occupy Damarh's space): [roll3], [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

From the back room, the sounds of skittering across furniture can be heard, followed by irritated squeaks.

Zergrinch
2015-07-18, 11:28 PM
Zaftig stands up and grabs at the bothersome rodent. If he manages to catch it with his gauntleted fists, he'll crush the life out of it.

Grapple: Athletics check vs opponent's Athletics or Acrobatics.
For Zaftig: [roll0]

ronlugge
2015-07-19, 12:58 AM
Getting tired of the game, Damarh continues to lay about him with the dagger, wishing he had something else to do to attack.

attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage