PDA

View Full Version : Potion of Faith Healing

Roga
2015-06-19, 01:14 AM
It seems that potions of Faith Healing will always work on anyone who drinks it, regardless of the creator's faith. While making items magic items, it's very clear that the crafter determines the caster level of the spell. Potions have this line in their crafting description:

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target; therefore, spells such as shield other cannot be stored in potion form.
Emphasis mine. This seems that if the imbiber is both then it would work for anyone that drinks it, regardless of the crafter. I could see rulings either way, but I'm curious what your guys' take on it is. I'm sure if it did work it would obviate the market for potions of cure light wounds.

Crake
2015-06-19, 01:45 AM
It seems that potions of Faith Healing will always work on anyone who drinks it, regardless of the creator's faith. While making items magic items, it's very clear that the crafter determines the caster level of the spell. Potions have this line in their crafting description:

Emphasis mine. This seems that if the imbiber is both then it would work for anyone that drinks it, regardless of the crafter. I could see rulings either way, but I'm curious what your guys' take on it is. I'm sure if it did work it would obviate the market for potions of cure light wounds.

I think it would work, though potions (or better yet wands, cheaper/use) of lesser vigor still beat it in hp/gp. It is a much better mid combat option though.

Ogh_the_Second
2015-06-19, 04:59 AM
I think, by RAW, the OP's position is certainly defensible.

As a DM, however, I would not let it fly, as such a potion would then not really reflect the nature of the spell itself.

The SRD text on potions is:

The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so. The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect). (emphasis mine)

I would have the potion affect only creatures of the same faith as the potion's creator, using the first sentence as further justification. Rules-wise iffy, I realize (is the faith of the creator a 'choice', like energy type is for Resist Energy potions?), but altogether more in line with the spell's intended effect.