PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Martial Archtype: Kensai

Submortimer
2015-06-19, 04:27 AM
Martial Archtype: Kensai
http://artfiles.alphacoders.com/408/40860.jpg

While others may devote themselves to strengthening their body to inhuman levels, leading a thousand men in mass combat, or in the subtle and deliberate arts of magic, the kensai has chosen to devote himself to perfecting his techniqe, and the will that guides it. By harnessing the mystical power of Ki, he turns himself into a perfectly guided sword point of death.

Signature Weapon
Starting at 3rd level, When you become a kensai, you select a weapon into which you pour your time, your focus, your heart and very soul. You may select a single one-handed or versatile simple or martial melee weapon, or two light simple or martial melee weapons; this becomes your signature weapon, and it grows in power as you grow in power.

You may not declare a new signature weapon so long as you have your current one. You may transfer magical power from a weapon you find into your signature weapon; doing so requires a 8 hour ritual and 100 gp worth of components and ritual gear. At the completion of the ritual, the weapon loses whatever magical property it had, and your weapon gains that same property. Should you perform this ritual on a signature weapon that is already enchanted, it loses that current enchantment and gains the new one.

If you lose your signature weapon, you may replace it by performing a ritual costing of a day's worth of meditation and contemplation over a new weapon.

Kenjutsu
At 3rd level, your study and devotion to the blade has given you a mastery over combat that few could hope to achieve. When fighting with your signature weapon, you gain a number of different benefits
- You may use Dexterity instead of strength for the attack and damage rolls of your signature weapon.
- When wielding your signature weapon, if you are not wearing armor or using a shield, you may calculate your AC as 10 + dex mod + Wisdom mod.

Martial Discipline
When you take this archetype at 3rd level, you learn a number of maneuvers fueled by your Ki. Your Fighter level Determines the number of Ki points you have. You gain back all expended Ki points following a short or long rest.

Fighter level
Ki Points

3rd

5th

7th

9th

11th

13th

15th

17th

19th

You learn three manuevers to start, and two more at 7th, 10th and 15th level. Each time you learn new maneuvers, you may elect to replace old ones. Some maneuvers require a saving throw; if it does, the DC is equal to 8 + your Proficiency Modifier + your Wisdom Modifier.

Budo
At 7th level, your mastery over your ki grows and expands. Not simply useful on the battlefield, you learn to use your Ki at all times, allowing it to direct you as much as you direct it. You can spend ki points to produce a variety of effects:
- You may spend 2 ki points to cast the Enhance Ability spell without a spell slot.
- You may spend a ki point to gain proficiency in either persuasion or Intimidation until you take a short rest.

Bujustu
At 10th level, you have honed your mastery over your sword. You may select an additional fighting style from the list below:
- Two-weapon fighting
- Hand-and-a-half
- Great Weapon Fighting
- Dueling

Improved Ki
At 15th level, you've learned to harness your ki more efficiently. Before you roll initiative for combat, if you have no ki points in your pool, you instantly regain 3 ki points.

Bushi
At 18th level, you become an almost unparalleled master of combat, learning to submit to your Ki and let it guide your actions. As a bonus action, you may spend 5 ki to flood your body with energy, granting you a bonus equal to your wisdom modifier on all attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks for 1 minute. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before you can do so again.

Maneuvers

Moment of Alclarity
- At the beginning of combat, you may spend 1 ki point to add your Wisdom modifier to your Initiative roll.

Avalanche of Blades
- Immediately after you take the attack action on your turn, you may spend 1 Ki point to make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

Emerald Razor
- When making a melee weapon attack, you may spend 1 ki point to add your wisdom modifier to the attack roll. You may do this after the attack is rolled.

Exorcisim of Steel
- As an action, you can spend 1 ki point to to make an attack against a single target. If you hit, that target makes a strength save: on a failure, it has disadvantage on all attack rolls for a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier; On a success, it has disadvantage on it's next attack roll.

Iron Shout
- As a bonus action, you may spend 1 ki point to cast the spell Compelled Duel on one target that can hear you within 30 ft.

Quicksilver Motion
- By spending 1 ki point, you may take the dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and your movement speed is doubled for that turn.

Steel Wind
- By spending 1 ki point, you can Disengage as a bonus action on your turn, and your Jump distance for the turn is tripled.

Wall of Blades
- By spending 1 Ki point, you may use your reaction to add your Proficiency bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn. You must be wielding a kensai weapon in order to maintain this bonus to your AC.

Iron Heart Surge (level 7 required)
- As an action, you may spend 2 ki points to immediately end an ongoing negative status or effect currently affecting you. You may use this end the effects of any ongoing spell (only on yourself) or the Stunned, Frightened, Incapacitated, Paralyzed, Charmed, Petrified or Poisoned conditions.

Iron Heart Focus (level 7 required)
- As a reaction, you may spend 2 ki points to reroll a failed save. You must take the new roll.

Iron Heart Endurance (level 7 required)
- As a bonus action, you may spend 2 ki points to regain HP equal to 1d8 + your fighter level

Lightning recovery (level 7 required)
- As a reaction, you may spend 2 ki points to reroll a failed attack roll.

Manticore Parry (level 7 required)
- When you are hit by an opponent's melee or ranged weapon attack, you may spend 3 ki points and use your reaction to reflect or re-direct the attack. The attacker rolls damage as normal; instead of dealing damage to you, the attacker deals damage to either himself or a target within 5 feet of him (your choice)

Mind over Body (level 7 required)
- When you are forced to make a Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution Saving throw, before the roll is made, you may spend 2 ki points and use your reaction to instead make a Wisdom saving throw. You must take the result.

Rapid Counter (level 7 required)
- When you are missed by a creature's melee attack, as a reaction you may spend 1 ki point to make a single melee weapon attack against that creature.

Bounding Assualt (level 10 required)
- As an action, you may spend 2 ki points move up to double your movement speed; you do not provoke opportunity attacks from this movement, and you are not hindered by rough terrain. At the end of this movement, you may make one melee weapon attack; this attack deal an additional 10 damage.

Disrupting Blow (level 10 required)
- As an action, you may spend 1 ki point to make a single melee attack against a creature. If it hits, the creature must make a constitution saving throw; Failure means that it is stunned until the end of your next turn

Hearing the air (level 10 required)
- By spending 2 ki points, you can focus on the battelfield around you, gaining Blindsight 20' for 1 minute.

Mithral Tornado (level 10 required)
- As an action, you may spend 2 ki points to make a melee weapon attack against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, making a separate roll for each creature.

Scything Blade (level 10 required)
- On your turn, immediately after making the attack action, as a bonus action you may spend 3 ki points to make two melee weapon attacks.

Adamantine Hurricane (level 15 required)
- As an action, you may spend 8 ki points to make 2 Melee weapon attacks against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, making a separate roll for each creature; each of these attacks adds your wisdom bonus to the damage roll.

Diamond Nightmare Blade (level 15 required)
- As an action, you may spend 8 ki points to make a single melee weapon attack. You may add your widsom modifer to the damage roll (In addition to your strength/dex modifier), the attack is a critical hit, and triggers any effects that occur on a natural 20. Additionally, the target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom bonus. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before you can do so again.

Finishing Move (level 15 required)
- As a bonus action, you may spend 8 ki points, and select a target that you can see. For the rest of this turn, each of your successful melee weapon attacks against that target gain a cumulative 2d6 bonus to damage, to a maximum of 8d6 damage. One you use this maneuver, you must take a long rest before you can do so again.

Strike of Perfect Clarity (level 15 required)
- As an action, you may spend 8 ki points to make a single melee weapon attack. If it hits, this attack deals an additional 10d10 slashing damage. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before you can do so again.

Time Stands Still (level 15 required)
- After taking an action on your turn, by spending 8 ki points, you can take an additional action and an additional Bonus Action on this turn. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before you can do so again.

Lightning Throw (level 15 required)
- As an action, you may spend 5 ki points to throw your weapon. Your weapon spins through the air, hitting every creature in a 5' wide, 120' long line. Each creature must make a dexterity saving throw: on a failure, they take 5d10 Bludgeoning, Piercing, or Slashing damage (based on the weapon you threw), or half that on a save. Your weapon returns to your hand at the end of the throw.

Fighting Style: Hand-and-a-half
- When using a versatile Weapon in two hands, you gain a +1 to hit and +1 to damage.

Feat: Bastard Sword Mastery
- When using a weapon with the versatile trait in two hands, You gain a +1 to your AC.
- When using a weapon with the versatile trait in two hands, You may treat it as if it had the Heavy property.
- You may use your dexterity bonus instead of your strength bonus when wielding a versatile weapon.

Update: made some changes. Ki point total has been reduced now, so ki point costs of abilities have changed to reflect that.

BRKNdevil
2015-06-19, 06:05 PM
You should throw the 5e tag on this,

Mithral Tornado seems oddly worded

Critical hits always hit

Submortimer
2015-06-19, 08:04 PM
You should throw the 5e tag on this,

Mithral Tornado seems oddly worded

Critical hits always hit

1) Done
2) Changed the wording to mimic Whirlwind Attack's wording
3) Yeah, it was supposed to be "Add wisdom modifier to damage" not "Add wisdom modifier to attack". That's changed now.

Ralanr
2015-06-19, 08:39 PM
I like how this is usable with a battleaxe or a warhammer. I'm not joking, that makes it all the better to me.

The time stands still ability seems a bit redundant for the class, especially with that ki point cost. Remember action surge? You get two (that you have to use at the same time, but still two) uses of them at level 17 as a fighter.

Submortimer
2015-06-19, 09:36 PM
I like how this is usable with a battleaxe or a warhammer. I'm not joking, that makes it all the better to me.

Yep! The idea was not to limit, but to give options for a specific type of weapon. It's OBVIOUSLY designed around a longsword/bastard sword/katana, but samurai used spears, short swords, and all other kinds of weapons.

The time stands still ability seems a bit redundant for the class, especially with that ki point cost. Remember action surge? You get two (that you have to use at the same time, but still two) uses of them at level 17 as a fighter.

I'm aware. This let's you get a third per short rest. I'm open to changing it, maybe allowing you to get an additional action AND bonus action, but I don't want it to be too OP.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-20, 03:06 PM
I like it! Questions:

Wasn't this spelled as Kensai in previous editions? I don't know enough Japanese to know which is correct though...
If you use Wall of Blades after level 7, do you get your Wis mod on your AC twice? Would it be better to add your proficiency bonus, just for a change?

Hearing the Air is nice - reminds me of Sanageyama's Tengantsu technique in Kill La Kill.

Submortimer
2015-06-21, 01:54 AM
I like it! Questions:

Wasn't this spelled as Kensai in previous editions? I don't know enough Japanese to know which is correct though...
If you use Wall of Blades after level 7, do you get your Wis mod on your AC twice? Would it be better to add your proficiency bonus, just for a change?

Hearing the Air is nice - reminds me of Sanageyama's Tengantsu technique in Kill La Kill.

Thanks! To answer your questions:

1) It was. AFAIK, Kensei is the proper spelling, but It's been spelled Kensai and Kenshi as well.

2) I honestly hadn't thought about that. I wanted something similar to Shield , and proficiency bonus just didn't seem to get a big enough bonus fast enough. I think I'll make that as a change.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-21, 09:14 AM
Oh, another thought: should Blade of Virtue cost some kind of action? Apropos of nothing, I favour a bonus action. Also, you should be able to end the effect early (in my head, I want to have a thing where if someone else picks up the weapon, they take radiant damage, but that's probably not necessary).

Submortimer
2015-06-21, 07:36 PM
Oh, another thought: should Blade of Virtue cost some kind of action? Apropos of nothing, I favour a bonus action. Also, you should be able to end the effect early (in my head, I want to have a thing where if someone else picks up the weapon, they take radiant damage, but that's probably not necessary).

I made a change. Honestly, I don't even know if Blade of Virture is strong enough of an ability, how do you feel about it's overall power?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-22, 03:03 AM
I made a change. Honestly, I don't even know if Blade of Virture is strong enough of an ability, how do you feel about it's overall power?

Personally, I think it's fine. The martial archetype capstones in the PHB are all quite limited - up to 30d6/turn* extra damage is more powerful overall, but limited by its ki cost.

* Assuming Full Attack (4x2d6), Bonus Attack (2d6), Haste (2d6), Action Surge (4x2d6), Time Stands Still (5x2d6).

Submortimer
2015-06-22, 04:06 AM
Personally, I think it's fine. The martial archetype capstones in the PHB are all quite limited - up to 30d6/turn* extra damage is more powerful overall, but limited by its ki cost.

* Assuming Full Attack (4x2d6), Bonus Attack (2d6), Haste (2d6), Action Surge (4x2d6), Time Stands Still (5x2d6).

Not to mess up your math, but you forgot the second action surge :-)

Yeah, I think the new version (+2d6) works better and feels stronger than the old one (+wis mod). I intended for this to put out a stupid amount of damage for one round, if you so choose.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-22, 04:16 AM
Not to mess up your math, but you forgot the second action surge :-)

Yeah, I think the new version (+2d6) works better and feels stronger than the old one (+wis mod). I intended for this to put out a stupid amount of damage for one round, if you so choose.

Yeesh, I did forget that.

It's a cool image though. I imagine a round like that resembling Cloud's Omnislash or Squall's Renzokuken. LIMIT BREEEEAAAKKKKK!!!!!

Submortimer
2015-06-22, 05:01 AM
If you wanna get stupid crazy with the "Limit Break"ness of it all, combine That with Finishing Move and watch the d6's rack up...

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-22, 11:50 AM
Spoiler for thoughts.

Martial Discipline
When you take this archetype at 3rd level, you learn a number of maneuvers fueled by your Ki. Your Fighter level Determines the number of Ki points you have. You gain back all expended Ki points following a short or long rest.

Other than the table, would you be willing to write out your ki pool in words? Something like: You have 2 ki points at 3rd level and gain an additional ki point at every odd level of this class?

Battle Sense
At 7th level, you begin to eschew heavy armor, focusing on your wit and willpower to shield you. When you are not wearing Armor or using a shield, you may Calculate your AC as 10 + Dex Mod + Wisdom Mod.

To prevent the monk from gain Wisx2 to his AC I recommend just calling this Unarmored Defense, because that's exactly what is does.

Improved Ki
At 15th level, you've learned to harness your ki more efficiently, adding your wisdom modifier to your total number of available Ki points.

This feels a bit out of place to me. I'm not quite sure what to put in its place just yet, but adding your modifier to your resources isn't in normal tow with 5e. Some class features have stat fueled mechanics to them, but they aren't the main resource. Bard uses Cha for inspiration and the Paladin uses Cha for detecting things, but both of them have the mainline resource of spells.

You could give them the same Ki recharge mechanic that monks have, maybe give them 2 to 4 Ki points on initiative if their pool is empty?

Blade of Virtue
At 18th level, you lean to focus your Ki into your weapon, strengthening it into an unstoppable force. As a bonus action, you can spend 2 ki points, causing a kensai weapon you are wielding to flare with Ki for 1 minute. This weapon becomes magical if it is not already, and deals an additional 2d6 force damage. This effect ends if you let go of the weapon, or you may end it as a bonus action.

Huge potential to Nova in a round if they action surge. But I do like that it requires at least the sacrifice of the almighty bonus action, and it IS the capstone of the archetype. Mainly Because dice stacking is so potent in 5e I would recommend that bonus damage you add is equal to your Wisdom modifier, the weapon is being powered by you and adding Wis would allow for more consistent output.

Moment of Alclarity
- At the beginning of combat, you may spend 1 ki point to add your Wisdom modifier to your Initiative roll.

Maybe word change to: When you roll initiative, you may expend 1 ki point to add you Wisdom modifier to the roll. This is done before results are determined. Or a recovery mechanic that gives 1 ki point each time they crit.

Emerald Razor
- When making a melee weapon attack, you may spend 1 ki point to add your wisdom modifier to the attack roll.

Is this added wis allowed to be done after the roll but before results? Their ki is a very limited resource and even the BM with precise strike gets to add a superiority dice after the roll.

Exorcisim of Steel
- As an action, you can spend 1 ki point to to make an attack against a single target. If you hit, that target makes a strength save: on a failure, it has disadvantage on all attack rolls for a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier; On a success, it has disadvantage on it's next attack roll.

I would just make this impose disadvantage for 3 rounds instead. Otherwise that's up to 5 rounds of free dodge against that one mook. It's similar to the maneuvers of the BM to fuddle the bad guy, but you have to hit first. . . so yeah

Iron Shout
- As a bonus action, you may spend 1 ki point to cast the spell Compelled Duel on one target that can hear you within 30 ft.

I don't know how I feel about a 1 ki point taunt. I would make it cost 2 ki, like the 1st level spells for the monk.

Steel Wind
- By spending 1 ki point, you can Disengage as a bonus action on your turn, and your Jump distance for the turn is tripled.

I would just mimic the monk's 'step of the wind' here and only double their jump distance considering you are 1 turn combining two 1st levels spells (expeditious retreat and jump) into a 1 ki point bonus action.

Wall of Blades
- By spending 1 Ki point, you may use your reaction to add your Proficiency bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn. You must be wielding a kensai weapon in order to maintain this bonus to your AC.

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but I think that weapon's that are 'kensai' weapons need to be more clearly defined. To me they seem offhandedly mentioned in the Ken-jutsu section.

Iron Heart Surge (level 7 required)
- As an action, you may spend 3 ki points to immediately end an ongoing negative status or effect currently affecting yourself.

Needs to be defined, being able to just end a curse from a god seems a bit potent with how open ended this and its 3.x version are. I love to be able to flip greater being the bird as much as the next guy, but 7th level isn't the time to start.

Iron Heart Endurance (level 7 required)
- As a bonus action, you may spend 3 ki points to regain HP equal to 1d6 + your fighter level

I would actually make this give 1d8 + Fighter level in temp HP.

Lightning recovery (level 7 required)
- As a reaction, you may spend 3 ki points to reroll a failed attack roll.

Why not have the reroll be with advantage?

Manticore Parry (level 7 required)
- When you are hit by an opponent's melee or ranged weapon attack, you may spend 3 ki points and use your reaction to reflect or re-direct the attack. The attacker rolls damage as normal; instead of dealing damage to you, the attacker deals damage to either himself or a target within 5 feet of him (your choice)

I feel like an opposed attack or damage roll is needed here. . .

Disrupting Blow (level 10 required)
- As an action, you may spend 2 ki points to make a single melee attack against a creature. If it hits, the creature must make a constitution saving throw; Failure means that it is stunned until the end of your next turn.

hmm very potent. Maybe bump the ki cost to 3, of have the stun end at the start of your next turn.

Hearing the air (level 10 required)
- By spending 2 ki points, you can focus on the battelfield around you, gaining Blindsight 20' for 1 minute.

I would make this 10' radius instead. Mainly because it's blindsight whereas the rogue gets blindsense at 14th level (but his is permanent) so I have less issues with the level acquisition since it is only a minute. If you feel that more range is something they should be capable of, maybe let it be augmented with additional ki points.

Mithral Tornado (level 10 required)
- As an action, you may spend 2 ki points to make a melee weapon attack against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, making a separate roll for each creature.

Why not allow it to use the range of the weapon? Can't remember the ranger whirlwind specifics, but this one costs resources and whirlwind can happen all day. If you extend the range, I would bump it to 3 ki cost though.

Adamantine Hurricane (level 15 required)
- As an action, you may spend 10 ki points to make 2 Melee weapon attacks against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, making a separate roll for each creature; each of these attacks adds your wisdom bonus to the damage roll.

Definitely has the feel of an ultimate attack. Only suggestion is the same I had for Mithral Tornado and reach weapons.

Diamond Nightmare Blade (level 15 required)
- As an action, you may spend 10 ki points to make a single melee weapon attack. You may add your widsom modifer to the damage roll (In addition to your strength/dex modifier), the attack is a critical hit, and triggers any effects that occur on a natural 20.

Potent and mean, but it seems a little underpowered compared to the other maneuvers until magic items are introduced (looking at you vorpal). Maybe add a rider effect?

Time Stands Still (level 15 required)
- After taking an action on your turn, by spending 10 ki points, you can take an additional action and an additional Bonus Action on this turn.

Maybe this one is a bit too intense. . . Maybe allow a move and an action, or even just an action because holy crap that's a lot of swings if they surge with this.

Lightning Throw (level 15 required)
- As an action, you may spend 10 ki points to throw your weapon. Your weapon spins through the air, hitting every creature in a 5' wide, 120' long line. Each creature must make a dexterity saving throw: on a failure, they take 5d10 Bludgeoning, Piercing, or Slashing damage (based on the weapon you threw), or half that on a save. Your weapon returns to your hand at the end of the throw.

No critique, just fanboy moment at the bloodstorm reference.

Fighting Style: Hand-and-a-half
- When using a versatile Weapon in two hands, you gain a +1 to hit and +1 to damage.

I like it, I think I've seen this before in other posts, but more than likely it was your other ones. Regardless, its nice simple and elegant with a mix of column A and column B that comes with a versatile weapon.

Feat: Bastard Sword Mastery
- When using a weapon with the versatile trait in two hands, You gain a +1 to your AC.
- When using a weapon with the versatile trait in two hands, You may treat it as if it had the Heavy property.
- You may use your dexterity bonus instead of your strength bonus when wielding a versatile weapon.

The name is a little misleading with this. I get what you mean, and I like how the feat isn't forcing the sword into peoples hands. But I think the name could use help. All the ones I'm trying to think of feel lame so yeah I think I know the pain.

Overall the general direction of this subclass is well placed. There are plenty of places where you have transferred 3.x into 5e (emerald razor is baller), and then there are others where it feels like mechanics are old or just out of place. If I haven't brought something up, that usually means I either really liked it, or I didn't see an issue.

Submortimer
2015-06-22, 02:23 PM
Hoo boy, this will be a long one.

Other than the table, would you be willing to write out your ki pool in words? Something like: You have 2 ki points at 3rd level and gain an additional ki point at every odd level of this class?

Sure, seems simple enough.

To prevent the monk from gain Wisx2 to his AC I recommend just calling this Unarmored Defense, because that's exactly what is does.

This actually can't happen. Even if a monk were to get the Battle sense ability, because it calculates your AC a certain way, it doesn't stack with Unarmored defense. This is similar to a monk having Mage Armor: his AC is either 10+dex+wis or 13+dex.

This feels a bit out of place to me. I'm not quite sure what to put in its place just yet, but adding your modifier to your resources isn't in normal tow with 5e. Some class features have stat fueled mechanics to them, but they aren't the main resource. Bard uses Cha for inspiration and the Paladin uses Cha for detecting things, but both of them have the mainline resource of spells.

You could give them the same Ki recharge mechanic that monks have, maybe give them 2 to 4 Ki points on initiative if their pool is empty?

That's not a bad Idea. I'll have to change the ki point cost of things around, since the 1/3/2/10 point cost scheme was set up around having about 15 points at level 20.

Huge potential to Nova in a round if they action surge. But I do like that it requires at least the sacrifice of the almighty bonus action, and it IS the capstone of the archetype. Mainly Because dice stacking is so potent in 5e I would recommend that bonus damage you add is equal to your Wisdom modifier, the weapon is being powered by you and adding Wis would allow for more consistent output.

It initially was +wis mod, but it didn't feel big enought for a capstone ability.

Maybe word change to: When you roll initiative, you may expend 1 ki point to add you Wisdom modifier to the roll. This is done before results are determined. Or a recovery mechanic that gives 1 ki point each time they crit.

Not a bad idea on either account.

Is this added wis allowed to be done after the roll but before results? Their ki is a very limited resource and even the BM with precise strike gets to add a superiority dice after the roll.

Will edit for clarification.

I would just make this impose disadvantage for 3 rounds instead. Otherwise that's up to 5 rounds of free dodge against that one mook. It's similar to the maneuvers of the BM to fuddle the bad guy, but you have to hit first. . . so yeah

I'll have to look at this in greater detail.

I don't know how I feel about a 1 ki point taunt. I would make it cost 2 ki, like the 1st level spells for the monk.

Ki point costs are balanaced against his reduced ki point total.

I would just mimic the monk's 'step of the wind' here and only double their jump distance considering you are 1 turn combining two 1st levels spells (expeditious retreat and jump) into a 1 ki point bonus action.

Step of the Wind has been split into two abilities, quicksilver motion and Steel Wind. I'll go back and look at this though. Also, expeditious retreat allows you to Dash as a bonus action, not disengage.

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but I think that weapon's that are 'kensai' weapons need to be more clearly defined. To me they seem offhandedly mentioned in the Ken-jutsu section.

Yeah, I can do that.

Needs to be defined, being able to just end a curse from a god seems a bit potent with how open ended this and its 3.x version are. I love to be able to flip greater being the bird as much as the next guy, but 7th level isn't the time to start.

Agreed. I was AFB when I wrote it up, so I didn't have a good list. Needless to say, it's not powerful enough to end a cue or disease, but maybe stop petrification, end a stun, or stop a charm.

I would actually make this give 1d8 + Fighter level in temp HP.

Done!

Why not have the reroll be with advantage?

I feel like that might be too strong.

I feel like an opposed attack or damage roll is needed here. . .

Nah. Opposed rolls make things too complicated. At most, I might require you to make an attack against the new target, but there shouldn't be chance of failure on the redirect.

hmm very potent. Maybe bump the ki cost to 3, of have the stun end at the start of your next turn.

Wording is directly pulled from Stunning Strike. Only difference is that monks can do it for 1 ki point.

I would make this 10' radius instead. Mainly because it's blindsight whereas the rogue gets blindsense at 14th level (but his is permanent) so I have less issues with the level acquisition since it is only a minute. If you feel that more range is something they should be capable of, maybe let it be augmented with additional ki points.

Maybe I'm not understanding the difference between blindsense and blindsight? I think 20' range for this is just fine.

Why not allow it to use the range of the weapon? Can't remember the ranger whirlwind specifics, but this one costs resources and whirlwind can happen all day. If you extend the range, I would bump it to 3 ki cost though.

Yep, exact text of the whirlwind attack

Potent and mean, but it seems a little underpowered compared to the other maneuvers until magic items are introduced (looking at you vorpal). Maybe add a rider effect?

I thought about that. Vorpal and Sharpness weapons were what I had in mind when I wrote this up, but I might be able to come up with an appropriate rider.

Maybe this one is a bit too intense. . . Maybe allow a move and an action, or even just an action because holy crap that's a lot of swings if they surge with this.

Yep! As someone above pointed out, it's got a real "Omnislash" feel to it.

The name is a little misleading with this. I get what you mean, and I like how the feat isn't forcing the sword into peoples hands. But I think the name could use help. All the ones I'm trying to think of feel lame so yeah I think I know the pain.

Yeah, that was my main problem. It USED to be called Kenjutsu, but that an ability of this subclass now.

Overall the general direction of this subclass is well placed. There are plenty of places where you have transferred 3.x into 5e (emerald razor is baller), and then there are others where it feels like mechanics are old or just out of place. If I haven't brought something up, that usually means I either really liked it, or I didn't see an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Submortimer
2015-06-26, 04:39 AM
Made a few changes, mostly to keep him from spamming the higher level maneuvers.

Th3Law
2015-10-01, 10:37 PM
Some questions:

Bastard Sword MAstery should just be named Kendo Mastery. (Works in every way.)

What happened to blade of virtue?(Gone all together?)

Could you specify what Iron Heart Surge works against? (Cause you said you'd look at it? But I don't see any changes to it.)

Manticore parry works against a single basic attack, ranged or melee, right? Does that include Crits? (Might be a bit OP vs a natural 20, and wouldnt make a lot of sense.. So maybe specify that it doesnt work against crits?)

Love the guide. Going to request to use it after finding out the answers to these quetions :D

Submortimer
2015-10-02, 02:28 AM
Bastard Sword MAstery should just be named Kendo Mastery. (Works in every way.)

I'm keeping it the way it is, since it was originally made for my Witcher class, and it fits more into the traditional western fantasy that D&D is as a whole.

What happened to blade of virtue?(Gone all together?)

Yep, replaced with Bushi.

Could you specify what Iron Heart Surge works against? (Cause you said you'd look at it? But I don't see any changes to it.)

Poisoned, paralyzed, petrified, stunned, frightened...I think thats the major ones. Basically, any negative condition in the back of the book that isn't Restrained, grappled, incapacitated, or dead.

Manticore parry works against a single basic attack, ranged or melee, right? Does that include Crits? (Might be a bit OP vs a natural 20, and wouldnt make a lot of sense.. So maybe specify that it doesnt work against crits?)

Nope, totally works against crits.

Side note: will you message me if you get a chance to use this and provide some feedback on the playtest? I'd really appreciate it!

Th3Law
2015-10-02, 05:20 AM
Yeh I'll let you know for sure man!

I think its overpowered to simply redirect a crit though. Amd especially at higher levels... when it just gets too stong for PVP. So if you won't mind im changing manticore to work against any basic attack except crits. (2 ki points for rreflecting 50+dmg is a bit crazy xD. Or well, way crazy. imo if you wanna redirect a crit they should get to make a saving throw first and take half damage f they make it.)

Thanks for answering everything so soon. Evrything looks very well balanced and super sexy. I cant wait to use it and let you know. I might be using it as sooon as tonight. Atm im thinking between a sephiroth kinda bloke with the longsword. Or having a Cloud kinda dude with a reskinned greatsword buster blade. Or a speedy musashi miyamoto with the dual wield. So many sexy options

I'm keeping it the way it is, since it was originally made for my Witcher class, and it fits more into the traditional western fantasy that D&D is as a whole.

Yep, replaced with Bushi.

Poisoned, paralyzed, petrified, stunned, frightened...I think thats the major ones. Basically, any negative condition in the back of the book that isn't Restrained, grappled, incapacitated, or dead.

Nope, totally works against crits.

Side note: will you message me if you get a chance to use this and provide some feedback on the playtest? I'd really appreciate it!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-02, 05:35 AM
especially at higher levels and its too stong for PVP.

Question for Submortimer: how much weight to you give to this type of concern when homebrewing stuff? I tend to ignore PVP completely in my own homebrew, but perhaps that's not the best approach...?

Th3Law
2015-10-02, 06:04 AM
In my opinion, a fair made class always works in every direction (knew you werent asking me, but I got no life so.)
Especially a homebrew class should be so fair-made that it lends to any situation, this its legitimacy cannt be drawn in doubt.
There's alot of other classes out there with very strong pvp spells, but there's almost always something which can be done to counter, even if its something farfetched. IMO for homebrew, if you make something very strong, it cant be unavoidable without very very very good reason or proper nerfing.

This is the best homebrew class I've ever seen. Simple, fun, legit

My DM gave me the green light on this one btw. So I'll be posting updates of our sessions soon.

Question for Submortimer: how much weight to you give to this type of concern when homebrewing stuff? I tend to ignore PVP completely in my own homebrew, but perhaps that's not the best approach...?

Submortimer
2015-10-02, 08:06 AM

Honestly? I ignore PVP entirely.

At its core, the game is PvE and Co-op based, not competitive.

Also, Law, consider the number of spells and abilities that allow you to force re-rolls on people. I believe, with some playtesting, you'll come to find that Manticore Parry is not OP.

Th3Law
2015-10-03, 06:25 AM
Allright Chief Sub,, I'll try it as is and I'll get back to you :). First session tonight. I'm excited!

Honestly? I ignore PVP entirely.

At its core, the game is PvE and Co-op based, not competitive.

Also, Law, consider the number of spells and abilities that allow you to force re-rolls on people. I believe, with some playtesting, you'll come to find that Manticore Parry is not OP.

Inevitability
2015-10-04, 04:29 AM
I really, really suggest wording IHS better. We don't want to return to 3.5's full-blown 'I am a drow. Ergo, the sun is negatively affecting me. Ergo, I remove the sun.'

Maybe just write down all conditions it can be used against, or have it suppress an effect instead of outright removing it.

L Space
2015-10-04, 03:49 PM
Oooh, I've been waiting for someone to make this archetype! Very nice, seems balanced and clean.

Yep! The idea was not to limit, but to give options for a specific type of weapon. It's OBVIOUSLY designed around a longsword/bastard sword/katana, but samurai used spears, short swords, and all other kinds of weapons.

I'm glad you went this route. The thought of playing spear-wielding samurai has always appealed to me, but so many classes in the past were too focused on swords.

I'm AFB at the moment, but what are the rules for readying a weapon ie. quick drawing? Mostly wondering if there's a use for a possible "Iaijutsu" maneuver/ability, where you can draw and attack an enemy with one action or possibly use it as a feint.

Submortimer
2015-10-05, 09:28 PM
Oooh, I've been waiting for someone to make this archetype! Very nice, seems balanced and clean.

I'm glad you went this route. The thought of playing spear-wielding samurai has always appealed to me, but so many classes in the past were too focused on swords.

I'm AFB at the moment, but what are the rules for readying a weapon ie. quick drawing? Mostly wondering if there's a use for a possible "Iaijutsu" maneuver/ability, where you can draw and attack an enemy with one action or possibly use it as a feint.

I left Iaijutsu out of the whole thing specifically because it then limits the class to swords.

Also, for anyone reading, I finally laid out exactly what IHS can stop. It's expansive, but makes sense.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2015-10-10, 11:19 AM
It's been a few days since the last post, but I thought I could add to the Iaijutsu maneuver discussion.

I don't think Iaijutsu is necessarily too sword-focused. You could fluff it as a more acrobatic move, unslinging a weapon and attacking in a single movement doesn't have to be only for swords. I can imagine some sort of movement that would work for almost any weapon. I would suggest also allowing the maneuver to allow the Kensai to pick up his weapon if it's on the floor and attack with it in a single move, to make it worth a Ki point. I suggest the following:

Iaijutsu
As an action, spend 1 Ki point to draw or pick up your weapon and make a melee attack in the same action.

L Space
2015-10-12, 02:22 PM
I left Iaijutsu out of the whole thing specifically because it then limits the class to swords.

Also, for anyone reading, I finally laid out exactly what IHS can stop. It's expansive, but makes sense.

That's understandable and after looking at the PHB I saw drawing/readying a weapon can be done as an interaction when taking the Attack action, so that makes my whole idea moot anyways :smallbiggrin:.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2015-10-12, 07:55 PM
That's understandable and after looking at the PHB I saw drawing/readying a weapon can be done as an interaction when taking the Attack action, so that makes my whole idea moot anyways :smallbiggrin:.

Maybe grant advantage when doing so?

Submortimer
2015-10-13, 09:53 PM
Maybe grant advantage when doing so?

Again, not really in the plans for the class. It really already has a LOT going on, iaijutsu is just one more thing I really dont want to tack on.

L Space
2015-10-14, 01:27 PM
Fair enough. I'd really like to do a test run of this class sometime, though I am currently DMing an adventure and everyone already has characters, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it. But if I get the chance too, I'll let you know how it goes.

Kane0
2015-10-15, 01:28 AM
This looks great! Saved.

DracoKnight
2015-11-29, 02:25 AM
You know what would be awesome for this?

Variant Human
Magic Initiate Feat: Warlock

Booming Blade, Greenflame Blade, Armor of Agathys

cooldes
2015-11-30, 05:47 AM

Quick question, What does this mean?

Scarce
2015-11-30, 02:35 PM
I totally forgot: if anyone wants a wants a pdf for this, Submortimer and I made one (http://middlefingerofvecna.blogspot.com/2015/10/kensai-redux.html). There might be a few small differences between these two versions, which will be placed in the changelog in the blog post.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-30, 03:00 PM
Quick question, What does this mean?

Time Stands Still is one of the Kensai Manoeuvres. That calculation predates some tweaks Submortimer made; you should probably ignore it. If I'm remembering rightly, it also wasn't 100% correct at the time of writing either.

thedarkstone
2015-12-02, 05:22 AM
You should consider renaming "Bastard Sword Mastery" to "Versatile Weapon Mastery". Considering it applies to all versatile weapons.

Kane0
2015-12-02, 08:20 PM
I've recently started a game where I play a monk studying under a higher level NPC Kensai. Hopefully she will participate in the game and I can give you some good feedback!