PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warforged Subraces (PEACH)

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 04:57 AM
I was talking with some of the players in our group, and we came up with some different things that we thought that maybe the Warforged would be able to do, and since they didn't get subraces in the Eberron Unearthed Arcana, I decided to turn what we discussed into a modified Warforged with subraces. If anything is overpowered let me know, I'm honestly curious, but if everything is okay, I will release it to my players.

Warforged
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Warforged reach maturity at 1 year old, and it is unknown how long they can live.
Alignment. Warforged are as varied as humans, and can follow any understanding of morality.
Size. You stand between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Composite Plating. Your construction incorporates wood and metal, granting you a +1 to your Armor Class.
Living Construct. Even though you were constructed, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish. Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You do not dream in this state; you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.
Subrace. Warforged were built to serve different purposes, here are the three most common.

Scout
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Darkvision. You can see in darkness as if it was dim light, and dim light as if it was bright light for 60 feet.
Camouflaged Plate. You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena. You are proficient with the Stealth skill.
Precision Strike. You are proficient with Finesse weapons.

Tank
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Sturdy. When your hit points are reduced to 0, you can make a Constitution Saving Throw (DC: 17). If you succeed on the Saving Throw, you are instead healed for half of the damage that dropped you to 0.
Improved Composite Plating. The bonus to your AC is +2.
Protected. You are proficient with Shields. Instead of wearing plate armor, you may bond plate onto your body. Bonding armor can be done as a ritual over short rests, and takes 30 minutes. After you do this, you may no longer wear armor, but you retain the Armor Class of the plate, and any enchantments it possessed. You can remove the armor to affix new plating to your body, the process of switching bonded armor can only be done over long rest, and takes four hours to accomplish.

Aerial
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
From A Distance. Your vision is incredibly strong, and you cannot have disadvantage imposed on you when making a ranged weapon attack or casting a ranged spell.
Jetpack. Built into your back is a jetpack, and it grants you a fly speed equal to your base movement speed. Your jetpack allows you to hover, and you can activate it once between short rests. This effect lasts for 1 minute.
Sniper. You are proficient with ranged weapons.

Steampunkette
2015-06-19, 06:51 AM
How long does the Aerial Warforged's flight last?

Can Warforged wear Armor?

Can a Warforged bond armor to their body?

Would it be appropriate to remove the strength requirements for Warforged wearing armor or otherwise bonded to it?

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 07:04 AM
How long does the Aerial Warforged's flight last?

Can Warforged wear Armor?

Can a Warforged bond armor to their body?

Would it be appropriate to remove the strength requirements for Warforged wearing armor or otherwise bonded to it?

It lasts for 1 minute. I have edited that in.

Warforged can wear armor. Why wouldn't they be able to?

We didn't discuss bonding the armor to their body - but I wouldn't see a problem with it. I do see a bit of a problem removing the Strength requirement; even if you've added the armor to your body, it's still extra weight that you wouldn't normally have. I feel, though, that if you're wearing plate you're going to have a Strength-based character anyways, and that you'll most likely meet the requirement :P

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 12:53 PM
We didn't discuss bonding the armor to their body - but I wouldn't see a problem with it.

I have added this in for the Tank subrace.

If anyone has any other suggestions for Warforged subraces, that would be awesome, and I'll edit any more that I come up with into the OP :)

Requiemforlust
2015-06-19, 06:50 PM
Looks good. The only issue I have is that everything here gets a +4 (+1 to Con, then a +1 AC and a +2 to Dex, or +2 AC and +1 Str).

EDIT: The dwarf gets 2 +2s so...never mind :P

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 07:21 PM
Looks good. The only issue I have is that everything here gets a +4 (+1 to Con, then a +1 AC and a +2 to Dex, or +2 AC and +1 Str).

EDIT: The dwarf gets 2 +2s so...never mind :P

That's actually the main race that I was balancing them against. For ASIs. For abilities I tried to just give them unique stuff no one else got, so that you'd have a reason to play one other than aesthetic :)

Requiemforlust
2015-06-19, 07:46 PM
That's actually the main race that I was balancing them against. For ASIs. For abilities I tried to just give them unique stuff no one else got, so that you'd have a reason to play one other than aesthetic :)

You did a good job there :)

JNAProductions
2015-06-19, 07:52 PM

That's not a good idea. Mountain Dwarves get an extra +2... And that's it. Giving them +4 total and a host of goodies is a bit too much.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-06-19, 08:12 PM
That's not a good idea. Mountain Dwarves get an extra +2... And that's it. Giving them +4 total and a host of goodies is a bit too much.

With what he gave them, I don't think it's too much. They're all highly situational...the only one that I would even bother playtesting - to see if it's OP - is the Aerial one :P