PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help Building a Yeti Chief

walfulninja
2015-06-19, 07:42 AM
Hello everyone! I'm currently running a Himalayan campaign and I'm planning on the players meeting a tribe of yetis. I need some help on the build of their leader, fluff and crunch wise. The game is a low op game. 3.5 preferred but if another source can be linked ill be open to that. No home brew.

Flickerdart
2015-06-19, 08:03 AM
What level is he? What level is the party? What should he be good at - do you expect the PCs to parlay or fight? Is he a warrior, or a spellcaster?

Assuming you want him to be a beefy bruiser, I'd recommend a were-dire ape, permanently in hybrid form. Intelligent, but physically imposing. If you want him to be really strong, use Water Orc as a base; otherwise, Human will do fine. If you want him to be slightly magical, apply the Half-Celestial or Half-Fiend templates (depending on whether you want him to be an ally or an enemy). Total CR will be 5 plus class levels, but you may want to take away the wings (which should reduce the CR by 1).

schreier
2015-06-19, 11:08 AM
Could also use the Ursoi from dragonlance - they are pretty close conceptually- just change the look from big bear to yeti

It's in Age of Mortals (Dragonlance book)

I posted a build for a lvl 20 melee character here ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?416295-3-5-Ursoi-melee-character-(Dragonlance) )

Obviously, that's more of a high-op build, but could go straight bard, or druid, or whatever

Geddy2112
2015-06-19, 11:24 AM
It is a pathfinder monster, and it fits more of a Tribal Elder shaman type than a warcheif and direct leader. However, the Ijiraq (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/ijiraq) is a good monster for a stormy cold area.

This would not be the in your face meet the warchief, but the wise village elder who guards our village is rarely seen. Seeking the leader out could be another quest, and while there would be a certain air of hostility, the party could offer help and gain favor by showing a willingness to guard and respect the lands.

ksbsnowowl
2015-06-19, 12:21 PM
Could also use the Ursoi from dragonlance - they are pretty close conceptually- just change the look from big bear to yeti
I would bet he's using the Yeti stats from Frostburn.

IIRC, there is a normal Yeti (Large) and some sort of harder/fiercer version (Huge) in Frostburn. Maybe the chief is of the larger variety?

Maybe give the chief the Warchief prestige class from the Miniature's Handbook? That would allow him to buff his warriors (Strength bonuses) when the PC's attack.

Alternately, a few levels of Barbarian or Fighter, and giving him some unique fighting style via feats would be a good way to make the chief stand out. Trip is usually good, and Bull Rush would work well assuming you are in mountainous terrain.

Urpriest
2015-06-19, 01:35 PM
I would bet he's using the Yeti stats from Frostburn.

IIRC, there is a normal Yeti (Large) and some sort of harder/fiercer version (Huge) in Frostburn. Maybe the chief is of the larger variety?

Yeah, since the OP only needs help with the tribe leader they presumably already have workable Yeti stats. I think the Frostburn ones are a fine assumption, but it would probably help if the OP clarified.

walfulninja
2015-06-19, 08:21 PM
Yeah, since the OP only needs help with the tribe leader they presumably already have workable Yeti stats. I think the Frostburn ones are a fine assumption, but it would probably help if the OP clarified.

Thanks for all the feed back so far guys! Lemme clear up a few things:

1. Right now the party is level 3 but I don't plan on them meeting him until later. Although if I play him as more of a wise elder guardian like Geddy recommended they could meet him now
2. The party consists of a human dragon shaman, a phycopathic paladin, and a scout that likes to run alot
3. ATM I'm using the yeti stats from Oriental Adventures but I'll look into the Frostburn one.
4. I don't plan on this being a boss battle, more of a cautious "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" kinda deal. But for if they do ever fight him, I'd like to have stats on hand.

Hope this helps out if you need anything else just say so.

DrMotives
2015-06-19, 09:15 PM
Pretty sure the OA yeti & the frostburn yeti are just 3.0 % 3.5 update, I recall them looking pretty much the same. And the other bigger frosturn yeti is just the regular one at the max end of it's advancement by HD, those kind of entries are peppered in 3.5 monster books a bit.

atemu1234
2015-06-19, 09:46 PM
Also, levels in Barbarian?