PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making a monk/barbarian in PF need some professional help! :)

djwood
2015-06-19, 08:46 AM
I'm a long time 3.5 player who's only recently ventured into PF, and I'm interested in character options that could make a monk barbarian. Both have interesting archetypes, for instance monk has 'monk of many styles' which IMO is way to strong early on, and for the barbarian I was interested in 'raging cannibal' which sounds promising (this is gonna be the first time ever that I'm trying a barbarian).

*NOTE* like I haven't been introduced in the campaign anything could still be changeable.

I'm a level 5 suli who's gonna be the DpS of my group, specializing in natural attacks.

http://charactersheet.co.uk/pathfinder/#/statblock/554e84a2c6b2c003006f2fa9

Just so you guys can picture my character here

APPEARANCE

He is a remarkably large suli who absolutely towers over most of the other people he encounters, making him very easy to spot in a crowd or at a distance, and has an exceptionally-sculpted and well-defined musculature honed from years of savage physical training he had to endure to survive . While his physique is usually barely hidden beneath his cloths, it seems he need only flex all his muscles at once to tear his garments to threads and leave him shirtless and bulging - a carriage he seems to generally prefer. He has the familiar piercing under his lower lip, and a Glasgow smile on his left cheek, making him appear even more barbaric

PERSONALITY

He loved fighting above all else: the sights, the sounds, even the taste of his own blood; Eah-mon lives for battle, and enjoys a good fight more than anything. He even holds back in an effort to make any fight last longer. He claims injury and death are nothing but the price one pays for a good fight. Despite his tendency to be brutal, He usually stops a fight if his opponent is too injured to fight back, claiming he is not interested in fighting "weaklings who can't fight anymore", and he does not feel obligated to deal a death blow to anyone who cannot fight any longer. However, he will unhesitatingly kill his opponent if they refuse to end their fight.despite his savageness His very disciplined in a fight, never allowing his failed plans or attacks (charge at the enemy while yelling) to upset him and never letting superior numbers or power intimidate him, and always willing to do whatever must be done to gain victory. Although he sometimes imposed limitations on himself, such as not using certain certain body parts more than once, he was once willing to "lower" himself to fight the tribes best Orc just so it would last longer. Despite his simple minded nature, Eah-Mohn tends to be impulsive when it comes to things that truly matter to him. Oddly sometimes contradicts his own logic in fighting. On the one hand, Eah-mon wishes to increase his own personal power. On the other hand, he conceals his strength to enjoy a fight for as long as possible. On multiple occasions, Eah-mon has shown to greatly respect those who can defeat him in a fight and those who can push him to his limits earn his respect.

Outside of battle, he is a glutton who is shown to be able to eat comparable amounts or even more than a Titan. He even overeats before a brawl with the thought that meat makes him strong. He frequently burps and lets out gas, which always annoyed his former tribe. He was often called a "The Devils instincts" and takes it as a compliment.

Is he pretty balance for his party role?

Are there any items that compliment elemental abilities? Like liquids when expose to a certain element solidify or anything of the kind (thinking of grappling someone and just spit flask liquids on his face)
Later on, are there certain items I should try and get? In the group we have a item maker, who has no limits !!

Please don't hesitate to correct anything or give tips. What ever I accept every feedback good or bad!

Have a great day and thank you for even reading !! :)

charcoalninja
2015-06-19, 09:05 AM
I'm at work and so can't view your character sheet but straight away you need to deal with the conflicting alignment restrictions.
IIRC, Barbarian must be chaotic, and Monk must be Lawful. Unless you're going the Martial Artist archetype (which has its own issues) you won't be able to blend the two classes without special DM permission.

Psyren
2015-06-19, 09:24 AM
As charcoalninja stated, you can't combine these two classes without houserules. And even then I would suggest going Brawler/Barbarian instead if the main thing you want is the unarmed combat + rage, or just going pure barbarian with a spiked gauntlet or something.

Geddy2112
2015-06-19, 09:34 AM
It is a solid concept, but you won't be getting into hardcore damage till level 7. The bite attack is a natural attack, so you will need 2 unarmed strikes before you can get the boar style and jabbing style to trigger. Once that happens you are going to be bashing face. Without natural attacks you won't be able to do this-you could pick up beast totem as a rage power(which leads into pounce) as your 5th level rage power, but even then you need feral combat training to use them as unarmed strikes, which requires weapon focus. Which you can do a level 5, but you can't take incremental assault.

As far as Law/nonlawful, monks don't lose their powers if they become nonlawful, you simply cannot take any further ranks in monk. So you would start monk 1, then have an alignment and class shift into barbarian.

djwood
2015-06-19, 10:05 AM
I'm at work and so can't view your character sheet but straight away you need to deal with the conflicting alignment restrictions.
IIRC, Barbarian must be chaotic, and Monk must be Lawful. Unless you're going the Martial Artist archetype (which has its own issues) you won't be able to blend the two classes without special DM permission.

As far as Law/nonlawful, I know that I won't lose monk powers if I become nonlawful, I simply cannot take any further ranks in monk. So I would start monk 1, then have an alignment and class shift into barbarian.

djwood
2015-06-19, 10:07 AM
As charcoalninja stated, you can't combine these two classes without houserules. And even then I would suggest going Brawler/Barbarian instead if the main thing you want is the unarmed combat + rage, or just going pure barbarian with a spiked gauntlet or something.

I was thinking of the same thing at first, but brawler doesn't have MOMs and that's an archetype that seems interesting and I wou like to try it.

djwood
2015-06-19, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Geddy2112;19422501]It is a solid concept, but you won't be getting into hardcore damage till level 7. The bite attack is a natural attack, so you will need 2 unarmed strikes before you can get the boar style and jabbing style to trigger. Once that happens you are going to be bashing face. [QUOTE/]

I thought bite was counted as an unarmed strike. Thank you for correcting me hahaha!

[QUOTE/] Without natural attacks you won't be able to do this-you could pick up beast totem as a rage power(which leads into pounce) as your 5th level rage power, [QUOTE/]

What are totems ? Sorry barbarian noob xD

[QUOTE/] but even then you need feral combat training to use them as unarmed strikes, which requires weapon focus. Which you can do a level 5, but you can't take incremental assault. [QUOTE/]

Is incremental assault even worth taking? I just took it because I found his arm ability pretty neat!

Psyren
2015-06-19, 10:19 AM
FYI, there's a rule against double-posting in this forum - it is usually a better idea to just edit your post if you want to respond to more people before someone else has replied.

I suggest you read a barbarian handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1plVgdYb5KYxtXiysgd_pzdK-37PCmz2u9VzpuvNPDdo/edit) and a monk handbook (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7b8EGfd1Lu3MTNiMjIyMjUtOWVkYS00ODEyLTkwMTAtMTI3Y jk1MTFkNDFk/view) to learn the basics about both classes (like what totems are and how unarmed strikes work) before attempting to combine the two.

djwood
2015-06-19, 10:23 AM
FYI, there's a rule against double-posting in this forum - it is usually a better idea to just edit your post if you want to respond to more people before someone else has replied.

I suggest you read a barbarian handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1plVgdYb5KYxtXiysgd_pzdK-37PCmz2u9VzpuvNPDdo/edit) and a monk handbook (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7b8EGfd1Lu3MTNiMjIyMjUtOWVkYS00ODEyLTkwMTAtMTI3Y jk1MTFkNDFk/view) to learn the basics about both classes (like what totems are and how unarmed strikes work) before attempting to combine the two.

Thank you! And what do you mean by double posting? I thought answering everyone was A-okay no?

Geddy2112
2015-06-19, 10:26 AM
Totem's are a specific line of barbarian rage powers. They allow you to get certain powers while you rage, but you can only get one set of totem powers. So you could take beast totem, but not dragon. There is usually a lesser, normal, and greater. The beast totem allows you to pounce(move and attack with full attacks) and is probably the best one for your style of character.

Incremental assault is OK but its not really something you want until higher levels. Until level 7 you will probably burn the few rounds you get it in a single combat, but to have it for multiple combats is handy. That said, most monsters at higher levels are resistant 10 to at least 1-2 of the elements, and usually immune to a third. Useful if you identify a weakness. It also depends on how many combats you have a day, what you fight etc. See how the game goes and take it around level 11 if you really want it. I think you will find better feats.

Socksy
2015-06-19, 01:16 PM
Maenad (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/maenad) barbarians can be Lawful, if your DM allows them :)

Ordered Rage: Maenads may take levels in the barbarian class even if they are of the lawful alignment.
That might not be so helpful if you already have a race you're sticking with, though.

You can quote more than one person at once by using the button next to the "Reply with quote" button (the one with a set of speech marks and a + sign) - click it on every reply you want to quote, then start a new reply, and all of those will be quoted for you :33

djwood
2015-06-19, 01:30 PM
Totem's are a specific line of barbarian rage powers. They allow you to get certain powers while you rage, but you can only get one set of totem powers. So you could take beast totem, but not dragon. There is usually a lesser, normal, and greater. The beast totem allows you to pounce(move and attack with full attacks) and is probably the best one for your style of character.

Incremental assault is OK but its not really something you want until higher levels. Until level 7 you will probably burn the few rounds you get it in a single combat, but to have it for multiple combats is handy. That said, most monsters at higher levels are resistant 10 to at least 1-2 of the elements, and usually immune to a third. Useful if you identify a weakness. It also depends on how many combats you have a day, what you fight etc. See how the game goes and take it around level 11 if you really want it. I think you will find better feats.

well thank you! I will take beast totem it looks promising, and about Incremental assault was just so I can deal a little more damage a little longer! But you are right they're way to many creatures with résistances. What feat do you recommend?

djwood
2015-06-19, 01:33 PM
Maenad (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/maenad) barbarians can be Lawful, if your DM allows them :)

That might not be so helpful if you already have a race you're sticking with, though.

You can quote more than one person at once by using the button next to the "Reply with quote" button (the one with a set of speech marks and a + sign) - click it on every reply you want to quote, then start a new reply, and all of those will be quoted for you :33

thank you sempai! :3

torrasque666
2015-06-19, 01:38 PM
Post #12 and #13 is double posting. The general advice is to edit your post to include the new material.

Psyren
2015-06-19, 01:42 PM
If you're interested in using elemental liquids on people, you may want alchemist instead of barbarian. (They can rage or similar activities too, it's just chemically induced instead of emotional.)

Thank you! And what do you mean by double posting? I thought answering everyone was A-okay no?

I was referring to this rule: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)

Double Posting
Posting twice in a row is generally frowned upon. If you are responding to multiple points, please use quotes and other post formatting to clarify this. Please use the Edit option to modify information in a post instead of immediately making a new one. If you do accidentally double post, you can delete the extra post under the Edit option.

Geddy2112
2015-06-19, 01:46 PM
What feat do you recommend?

Power attack. This is probably the most important feat for your build and for almost every barbarian build around. If you are going to put any decent amount of ranks into intimidate, be sure to pick up cornugon smash so you get free intimidate checks when you power attack.