PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Beastmaster

Snig
2015-06-19, 09:19 AM
Just curious if my animal companion can act independently possibly gaining free attacks if I choose to not control it while mounted? Under the mounted combat rules they talk about this.

I could just let it run around attacking willy nilly while I dual wield from its back.

Easy_Lee
2015-06-19, 09:24 AM
Just curious if my animal companion can act independently possibly gaining free attacks if I choose to not control it while mounted? Under the mounted combat rules they talk about this.

I could just let it run around attacking willy nilly while I dual wield from its back.

By the RAW, no. The RAW specifically says that your beast takes no action unless commanded to do so. One possible way around this would be to have a druid Awaken your companion, though it would be up to your DM what the beast decides to do after that.

Gurka
2015-06-19, 09:24 AM
There are some hefty threads devoted to this specifically.

Basically, consensus seems to be that by RAW, it won't help much, but with some minor DM latitude it can be very effective. Look for Easy_Lee's "Breaking BM" thread. I'm too lazy to link it.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Snig
2015-06-19, 10:28 AM
By the RAW, no. The RAW specifically says that your beast takes no action unless commanded to do so. One possible way around this would be to have a druid Awaken your companion, though it would be up to your DM what the beast decides to do after that.

This is taken from RAW

While you're mounted, you have two options. Vou
can either control the mount or allow it to act
independently. Intelligent creatures, such as dragons,
act independently.
Vou can controI a mount only if it has been trained
to accept a rider. Domesticated horses, donkeys, and
similar creatures are assumed to have such training.
The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match
yours when you mount it. 1t moves as you direct it, and
it has only three action options; Dash, Disengage, and
Dodge. A controlled mount can move and act even on
the tu rn that you mount it.
An independent mount retains its place in the
initiative order. Bearing a rider puts no restrictions on
the actions the mount can take, and it moves and acts
as it wishes. 1t might flee from combat, rush to attack
and devour a badly injured foe, or otherwise act against
your wishes.

Do animal companion rules override this?

Easy_Lee
2015-06-19, 10:54 AM
Do animal companion rules override this?

I believe so, since the companion rules apply specifically to the beast while the mount rules are general. And he BM rules specifically say that the companion does not act on its own (unless the ranger is unconscious and using errata).

The only way I managed to sneak by the dash, dodge, and disengage (when riding the companion) is because it doesn't technically conflict with the BM rules. A BM may spend his action to command the beast, and a rider may command specific actions for free. The two rules don't have to be exclusive, which is the (admittedly dubious) way I finagled it for my Breaking BM build.