PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk PC?

Alejandro
2015-06-19, 01:54 PM
One of my players might ask to play one. I have no problem with it, but I have questions.

In the back of the DMG there are NPC stats for lizardfolk. Is that supposed to be for a lizardfolk PC, as well? The bonuses seem a little strong, especially the armor.

Has someone homebrewed one?

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-19, 02:04 PM
In the back of the DMG there are NPC stats for lizardfolk. Is that supposed to be for a lizardfolk PC, as well? The bonuses seem a little strong, especially the armor.

No. That table is shorthand for DMs wanting to add racial flavor to NPCs. If the modifications in that table happen to be balanced for PC use, it's a coincidence.

As far as homebrew: You can search the homebrew forum here, as well as various other places that post homebrew online. I'd be cautious, though - a lot of homebrew created by players is terrible. You'll want something that went through a number of iterations and got a lot of eyes on it, so I'd look mostly for places in a forum format.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-19, 02:18 PM
I seem to recall a lizardfolk homebrew race on this forum not long ago. It looked pretty good to me.

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420648-Monster-Races-Duergar-Goblin-Lizardfolk-amp-Kobold-(PEACH)&p=19383025).

Gnomes2169
2015-06-19, 02:39 PM
The DMG races are not meant for PC's. The fact that many of the PHB races are different in the DMG, and races have -x to stats in the DMG, when no PHB race has them should be a clear indication of this.

There are multiple conversions for lizardfolk and other monster races in the Homebrew forums. I suggest looking in there, since there should be a conversion project in it with a rendition of lizardfolk mixed in there.

burninatortrog
2015-06-19, 02:39 PM
Here's what I'd do:

Lizardfolk

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age. Lizardfolk mature a little faster than humans, reaching adulthood around age 14. They age noticeably faster and rarely live longer than 75 years.

Size. Lizardfolk are somewhat larger and bulkier than humans, and they range from 5 to well over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Swim. You have a swim speed of 30 feet.

Hold Breath. You can hold your breath for 15 minutes.

Relentless Endurance. See half-orc trait.

Savage Attacks. See half-orc trait.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-19, 02:42 PM
I seem to recall a lizardfolk homebrew race on this forum not long ago. It looked pretty good to me.

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420648-Monster-Races-Duergar-Goblin-Lizardfolk-amp-Kobold-(PEACH)&p=19383025).

I actually really don't like that implementation. Flat +AC from race is terrible for bounded accuracy. There is no reason at all for anyone to play a non-Lizardfolk martial character with that in play.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-19, 02:47 PM
I actually really don't like that implementation. Flat +AC from race is terrible for bounded accuracy. There is no reason at all for anyone to play a non-Lizardfolk martial character with that in play.

...I actually complained about that in the other thread (less vehemently/eloquently, but still). The designer kept it as +2 because they wanted monk and barbarian to be disproportionately attractive to lizardfolk.

Alejandro
2015-06-19, 03:24 PM
Wow, I would definitely not use that linked lizardfolk. I would immediately be besieged with players making lizardfolk fighters and monks.

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-19, 03:53 PM
...I actually complained about that in the other thread (less vehemently/eloquently, but still). The designer kept it as +2 because they wanted monk and barbarian to be disproportionately attractive to lizardfolk.

That's cool, but the race simultaneously manages to be overpowered in the hands of certain classes and bad in the hands of others (those that need to wear armor). Bounded accuracy should not be messed with.

BurninatorTrog's variant looks pretty good. If you don't object to the fact that it's largely a reskinned half orc, I'd be comfortable putting that into one of my games.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-19, 04:02 PM
Wow, I would definitely not use that linked lizardfolk. I would immediately be besieged with players making lizardfolk fighters and monks.

Which would make your job easier... So I'm not seeing this as a bad thing.

They get something awesome and you get something easy to control.

My that the linked Lizardfolk is what I would want but... Yeah if they are playing Fighter/Monks then your job will be quite easy.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-20, 02:44 AM
One of my players might ask to play one. I have no problem with it, but I have questions.

Has someone homebrewed one?

It would give him -3int. That isn't how 5e works.

And the lizardfolk in the link gives +2. AC........
In that way it is something like an OP warforged. Give him +1str +1wis and +1AC.
It's still stronger

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-20, 02:46 AM
Here's what I'd do:

Lizardfolk

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age. Lizardfolk mature a little faster than humans, reaching adulthood around age 14. They age noticeably faster and rarely live longer than 75 years.

Size. Lizardfolk are somewhat larger and bulkier than humans, and they range from 5 to well over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Swim. You have a swim speed of 30 feet.

Hold Breath. You can hold your breath for 15 minutes.

Relentless Endurance. See half-orc trait.

Savage Attacks. See half-orc trait.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

That's almost the same as half-orc...
Lizardfolk are somewhat larger and bulkier than humans...
Lizardfolk mature a little faster than humans...

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-20, 03:34 AM
And the lizardfolk in the link gives +2. AC........
In that way it is something like an OP warforged.

Except that the warforged gets its +1 while wearing armour. The only classes that benefit from Geodude6's implementation are monk and barbarian.

I would have preferred "unarmoured AC is 13+dex", like the draconic sorcerer's ability. That's much more balanced.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-20, 07:36 AM
First, you want your wisdom around 16, later 18. That's balanced.
And still, if you want to play a lizardfolk, you always want to be barbarian or monk that way. And you're always a too strong barbarian.
We had a warforged barbarian in our party, he was already very strong.

Believe me, you DON'T want a AC and HP tank in your party.

darkscizor
2015-06-20, 08:44 AM
Reflavor a half-orc and change out the languages for common and draconic, and switch out the intimidating skill for a 30 swim speed and hold breath (15min)

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-20, 11:45 AM
First, you want your wisdom around 16, later 18. That's balanced.
And still, if you want to play a lizardfolk, you always want to be barbarian or monk that way. And you're always a too strong barbarian.
We had a warforged barbarian in our party, he was already very strong.

Believe me, you DON'T want a AC and HP tank in your party.

There are so many ways around this issue that it is laughable.

If you want to challenge them then don't target their strengths. So many spells, traps, and abilities can target other defenses.

Get creative.

1Forge
2015-06-21, 10:14 PM
In the DMG theres a section on converting monsters to NPC's. I've used it to make tons of stuff.

zinycor
2015-06-21, 10:27 PM
Reflavor a half-orc and change out the languages for common and draconic, and switch out the intimidating skill for a 30 swim speed and hold breath (15min)

I would also do this

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-22, 10:06 AM

You repeat the thing burninatortrog did...

zinycor
2015-06-22, 09:12 PM
You repeat the thing burninatortrog did...

Who is burninatortrog and what did he do?

Edit: OH I just saw burninatortrog's post, and it's not exactly he same since on darkscizor version they would still have darkvision. Plus It felt way clearer to me.