PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about a strange, heavy CHA-based multiclass build :)

Citan
2015-06-19, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone, how are you?
I come to you for input about a heavy-multiclass build.

In my oncoming campaign, we'll be a PC group who will be mainly fighters with a very bit of healing (1 Monk with Cleric dip, 1 Ranger, 1 Rogue Trickster). So, a frontliner (nova if he goes elemental, controller if he goes Open Hands), a ranged combattant (striker? controller? don't really understand Ranger' role) and pure striker. Very light healing powers (Monk/Ranger), control powers (Ranger? Monk?), nearly no offensive spells.

The easiest way for me to balance the group would be to add a wizard/sorcerer NPC.
However, I love Bards for the fluff and versatility (and social skills).

So, I was considering the following build just for crunching fun (maybe we'll never go past 10 levels anyways). (Sorry it's gonna be a long post)

CLASSES
Bard (Lore), 6 (starting): Bardic Inspiration at short rest, skills and expertise, Jack of all Trades, Magic Secrets.
Warlock, 2:usual Eldricht Blast + Agonizing Blast + Repelling Blast + 1rst level short rest spells.
Sorcerer (Draconic), 6 : Draconic Resilience (Fire), Elemental Affinity, Metamagic: Quickened and Twinned and offensive spells.
Paladin (Devotion), 6: Lay on Hands, Fighting Style (Duelist), 1rst and 2nd level spells, DIVINE SMITE, AURA OF PROTECTION.

STATS
Stats point-buy (houserule: 30 points, max stat 16) : STR 13 ( for paladin multiclass :/), DEX 15, CON 13 / INT 8 / WIS 8 / CHA 16.
Half-Elf : Darkvision, 2 skills, saving throws Charmed, immune Sleep, +2 CHA, +1 DEX + 1 CON.
Final starting stats : STR 13 / DEX 16 / CON 14 / INT 8 / WIS 8 / CHA 18.

SPELLS
Spell slots: lvl 17 (up to 9nth slot).
Spells known
Cantrips
- Bard: Vicious Mockery (start), Prestidigitation (start), Mage Hand.
- Warlock: Eldricht Blast, Poison Spray.
- Sorcerer: Shocking Grasp (start), Ray of Frost (start), Create Bonfire (start), Mold Earth (start), Message.

Lvl 1 Spells
- Paladin: paladin's List
- Warlock: Hex, ??? (many good spells : Armor of Agathys, Witch Bolt, Unseen Servant -for RP or fun tactics-, Dissonant Whispers)
- Bard: Faerie Fire (start), Sleep (start), Healing Word (start, replaced later), Thunderwave (start), Unseen Servant?, Feather Fall or Charm Person (start).
- Sorcerer: Magic Missile, Shield, Expeditious Retreat or Fog Cloud (replaced) (too bad for Chromatic Orb I love it).

Lvl 2 Spells
- Paladin: paladin's list
- Bard: Blindness/Deafness, Enhance Ability, Invisibility (or maybe Hold Person depending on monk and rogue choices), Silence.
- Sorcerer: Scorching Ray, Levitate or Hold Person.

Lvl 3 Spells
- Bard: Bestow Curse, Leomund's Tiny Hut, MAGIC SECRETS: Conjure Animals (because fun and OP) and Crusader's Mantle (or Aura of Vitality if really needed). Too bad no way to get Rope Trick which seems awesome.
- Sorcerer: Haste, Fly (or Slow? Fireball? COUNTERSPELL?)

Spells prepared max: 2 (Warlock) + 7 (Sorcerer) + 11 (Bard) + 6 (Paladin) = 26.

OTHER
Equipement: Finesse Weapon (Rapier, Whip) + Shield, no armor (better than any Medium Armor, no problem with Stealth/Movement).

ASI/Feat (three times)
Option 1 Warcaster, CHA+DEX, CHA+DEX (to max main stat and gain bonus Initiative/CA).
Option 2: Warcaster, Shield Master, Inspiring Leader (or Elemental Adept for fire spells).

WRAP-UP
Soooo... Basically, the idea was...
- At low level, be a Bard with Eldricht Blast Option.
- Expand versatility with Sorcerer and burst damage with Divine Smite.
- At higher level, be mainly an enhanced Paladin thanks to higher, rechargeable spell slots while always keeping a buff/debuff active (and using Eldricht Blast at range or for AoO).

The fluff would be something like (in the hypothesis we go up to 20): character that starts as a bard will for some reason, crave for power to accomplish something. To achieve this, he will make a pact with higher entity which will at some point reveal its latent sorcerer power. Later, as he strives to accomplish his mission and loses his way in the process, he provokes a great catastrophe that will cost dearly to all and him in particular. After the shock, he vows to spend the rest of his life dedicated himself to life and good.
(Alignement Neutral Chaotic >>> maybe some part Evil >>> Chaotic or Lawful Good).

General Questions
A. I don't think it's OP, but I love the versatility (and I love mix-and-matching for a concept). So, without striving to min-max, is this character viable or would it be a dead-weight?
>>> General opinion is that a) it's not OP. b) it's viable but very late bloomer. c) it's fun to play as a PC. d) it's very hard to play and balance as a DMPC.

B. Is it justifiable Fluff-wise (seems that most Warlock Pacts are linked with "evil" so wonder how to articulate that with a Paladin Oath), especially if I want to alternate progression to get Divine Smite as soon as possible ?
>>>
You can refluff patrons.

C. If I could freely level up, what would be the best course?

I'd recommend switching your Devotion paladin levels to Oath of the Ancients paladin levels if you're getting countercharm from bard 6 (if not either is viable) and going to 8 (you'll lose 9th level slots but you can't cast 9th level spells anyway so it's not a massive problem imho) for ASI and awesome aura stuff. I'd also take your Warlock to 4 for the ASI and grabbing shillelagh.
I'd probably start Warlock or Bard, then go into sorc, then whichever you didn't pick and then go into paladin.
More specific questions
1. Would if be worth sacrificing Sorcerer's lvl6 Elemental Expertise for Paladin's 7th lvl Aura? If I consider that my main ranged spell attack will be Eldricht Blast anyways.
>>> General opinion is that lvl7 aura is better.

2. Same question with Pact of the Tome (I'd take Shillelagh, Thorn Whip and Guidance, and maybe trade Agonizing Blast for Ritual learning >> potential nice rituals like Find Familiar, Tenser's Floating Disk, Unseen Servant, Silence).
>>> General opinion is that Tome can be better, bringing Shillelagh to alleviate MAD.

2bis. Would other Metamagic options be better for me (was hesitating with Empowered and Careful).
>>> Opinions vary, some say 6 points is not necessary.

3. Would Sacred Weapon be really necessary? Because I feel overall Oath of Nature is nicer (spells like Ensnaring Strike, Monnbeam, Misty Step and lvl7 aura).
>>> No opinion given on usefulness of Sacred Weapon, but everyone recommends Nature for amazing lvl7 aura.

4. Can I live with only 18 CHA or is it specially mandatory to get to 20 for this build? I feel there are many strong feats to consider...
>>> Everyone recommends maxing CHA.

5. About Feats: I read in Master Guide that you could allow a character to learn one beyond the ASI/Feat system. If a player strives for one, what kind of quest or event could allow him to get it?
>>> No opinion given.

I'm real sorry for the huge list of questions and thank you in advance for any input, hoping this build at most piqued your interest, at worse made you smile at the poor chimera :)
EDIT1: Integration of answers and opinions in the original post, huge work to make this easier to read.
EDIT2: Two "final builds" hereunder.

Final starting stats : STR 13 / DEX 16 / CON 14 / INT 8 / WIS 8 / CHA 18
"Sooo. This is the same as the initial version right? "
Basically, yeah.
"So, you finally decided to disregard all the nice advice people gave you?"
Not really.
I just realized that I didn't explain enough why I chose these specific archetypes. And I didn't it because it was not clear in my own head. :)
The idea of this build was to get a "melee spellcaster" with the most versatility available, while keeping it efficient. Each class brought something unique while synergizing with others.
Lore Bard up to 6 to get Paladin's lvl3 exclusive spell Elemental Weapon (IF allowed to work with Elemental Affinity). While also learning healing spells and debuffs (Bestow Curse/Slow, Haste).

Paladin 6 for spells, smites, CD (to get better chance to hit) and aura to compensate and enhance saving throws.

Sorcerer 6 for Quicken spell and either Heightened or Twinned lvl 5 Bestow Curse. Going up to 6 was to get lvl4 slot creation for smites (6mp) and Elemental Affinity (Fire) to work with Scorching Ray, Fireball.

Warlock 2 for Hex, Armor of Agathys, Eldricht Blast++: better defense, offense, cantrip. And a few MMP per short rest.

Paladin synergizes with all casters (more spell slots), Bard with Sorcerer (metamagic), Sorcerer with Paladin (extra smites), Warlock with Sorcerer (extra MMP), all of which with large range of spells and decent melee attack with a magic weapon.

With that said, the two reasons for going Draconic Sorcerer were 1) Good natural armor (13+DEX) and 2) Elemental Affinity working with all fire spells (direct damage, Searing Smite and Elemental Weapon). I personnally don't see any good reason to forbid it fluff-wise, although it could certainly be questioned on Elemental Weapon balance-wise (one could argue that it's not better than Paladin 11+ with the same spell though, and less good than Vengeance 11+ with buffed weapon).

So, in games where DM would allow a large application of Elemental Affinity, this build rocks. No game-breaking magic sure, but one of the largest range of roles he can fulfill efficiently.
If DM doesn't allow this, the 6th lvl loses much interest, as all of Draconic: Draconic Resilience is not indispensable, not being able to generate 4th lvl is not so bad (since you can use MP points to good other use anyways).

In that case, the modifications proposed by everyone kind enough to answer in this thread become very pertinent. The consensus build is as follows:

Lore Bard 6 / Ancienst Paladin / Favored Soul Sorcerer 4 / Tome Warlock 3
You "eat" Sorcerer to get...
- Warlock 3: Tome for Shillelagh (reduce MAD), Guidance, Thorn Whip and potentially rituals, 2nd level slots.
- Ancients Paladin: you trade very good CD and protection spells for excellent protection aura and versatile Druidish spells.

This build is better in many aspects: Ancients aura and nice spells, 1 more ASI, greatly reduce MAD for a pure melee build (meaning more feats), better short rest spells. The drawbacks are not great but they exist though: no Sorcerer lvl3 spell (meaning you'll consume Magic Secret to get good offensive spell), 2 spellcaster levels's worth of spell slots, no physical versatility (you're stuck with melee everytime), no ability to Twin Bestow Curse, need of good armor, need to choose between rituals and Repelling Blast (which is very much underestimated imo, providing a bit of Manoeuvers).

Overall a better build because easier to build and come online, but requires a very different approach in spell selection especially with Magic Secrets (unless you forego Tome to get Sorcerer 5).
It's also easier to justify fluff-wise between Paladin and Warlock if you don't wan t to refluff (just take Fey) (pick Conjure Animals to reinforce the coherence ^^).

Which led me to think about other balance choices:

Lore Bard 6 / Devotion Paladin 6 / Favored Soul Sorcerer 3 / Tomelock 5 (or Chain if you really want spell resistance).
Metamagic which cost only one point have to be favored (although you could still cast Twinned Haste and Bestow Curse 3rd level).
Since lv3, best Domain will be Light (offense) or Trickery (defense, sneakery).
Warlock nets you 3rd lvl slots for direct smites or MM fueling, both Repelling Blast AND rituals up to lvl3 (which is great).
However, you'll have to use Magic Secrets on offensive spells or forego them entirely. And you have even less spell slots than before.

As the one before, build based on Shillelagh, although more offensive (focus on attack and damage rather than defense). Added versatility comes from lvl3 rituals, which incidently makes this build potentially the best in terms of spell choice.

Lore Bard 6 / Devotion Paladin 6 / Favored Soul(Light) Sorcerer 5 / Chainlock 3
Sorcerer nets you free Fireball and Scorching Ray, so Magic Secrets are free for anything else. Also more max MMP to play with.
Chainlock is here only for spells, cantrips and familiar (scout and magic resistance).

You still get Magic Resistance, although through familiar, and you'll need DEX to attack.

Apart from the lack of ASI/Feats, all these builds have strengths and weaknesses making them complex to build, but fun to play with. Pick your choice :)

zinycor
2015-06-19, 04:06 PM
I think this would be a nice PC, horrible NPC

Too many things to take care of, and takes too much of the spotlight.

In my opinion if you absolutely need to have an NPC with the party (Which I avoid like the plague) it would be best to have it be on the support role, let your party of players have fun and the NPC be just there to provide healings, buffs and do whatever the party wants.

General Questions
A. I don't think it's OP, but I love the versatility (and I love mix-and-matching for a concept). So, without striving to min-max, is this character viable or would it be a dead-weight?
B. Is it justifiable Fluff-wise (seems that most Warlock Pacts are linked with "evil" so wonder how to articulate that with a Paladin Oath), especially if I want to alternate progression to get Divine Smite as soon as possible ?
C. If I could freely level up, what would be the best course?

A. Not so OP, but has way too many things to keep track of for an NPC
B. You can refluff warlock patrons (I made a warlock with "The Force" as his patron, so he is a Jedi :D)
C. I don't know

Dralnu
2015-06-19, 04:22 PM
You're the DM. You can make a custom NPC to do whatever you want it to do. PC character building rules don't apply to you.

I personally never use DMPCs, because I as a player have had bad experiences with them and I already have enough on my plate in combat managing all the monsters.

The party seems set for healing anyway. Ranger, Cleric dip. If they're really pressed for healing suggest someone take the Healer feat, or give one of them the feat for free / quest / item.

If you just want to play a DMPC because that's something you'd enjoy, and you like building PCs and playing them with the group, that's 100% fine. I can totally understand DMs who want to do that to keep themselves interested/happy with the game. Your build looks fine. Doesn't seem too powerful, and if you're excited about it, then go for it. Just be advised not to hog to spotlight, or make your DMPC super special in terms of plot etc. Keep the focus on the PCs.

ruy343
2015-06-19, 04:29 PM
Hmmm... Your theory-craft-fu is powerful...

However, I think that you should let the party have a fair go at it before you decide to send along an NPC to keep them alive. You might just be surprised at how well such an imbalanced party will do! Besides, unlike 4th edition, there's less need to worry about having "controllers" or "leaders" in a group, now that players can spend hit dice during short rests, and the various archetypes can allow for diversification in abilities.

The group that I'm currently a PC in has absolutely no healing or buffing abilities, but we seem to get through just fine. There are moments where you realize that you wish you had those, but it's certainly not a show-stopper. It just requires a bit of creativity!

Isyndel
2015-06-19, 05:05 PM
I'm getting a support-caster type vibe here. I'd recommend switching your Devotion paladin levels to Oath of the Ancients paladin levels if you're getting countercharm from bard 6 (if not either is viable) and going to 8 (you'll lose 9th level slots but you can't cast 9th level spells anyway so it's not a massive problem imho) for ASI and awesome aura stuff. I'd also take your Warlock to 4 for the ASI and grabbing shillelagh. Metamagic is nice and all...but all you need for metamagic is 3 levels, I'd go to 4 for the ASI (if you're going to go to elemental affinity take something besides fire or poison, but you're not going to use it that much and I don't think it's worth it. as for metamagic options heightened/quickened/twinned are best) but you're going to lose two bard levels if you go for the ASI, which will lose you font of inspiration/d8 inspiration, and you can afford to lose one ASI in this build. You're dipping into so many classlists that imho you don't need to do anything more but if you wanted more versatility you could go Favored Soul and Light Armor, which would net you more free spells.

So we have
Oath of the Ancients Paladin 8
Tome Warlock 4
Favored Soul/Draconic Sorcerer 3 (I'd go Trickery for your support build)
Lore Bard 5

I'd probably start Warlock or Bard, then go into sorc, then whichever you didn't pick and then go into paladin.
As for ASI/Feats, max CHA as soon as possible(since pretty much your entire build depends upon it), I'd take War Caster and Inspiring Leader and dump the rest into CON (or maybe DEX if you really wanted it) for saves. Personally I'd put the 16 into CON (since you'll get 4 ASI you'll get it to 18) for saves and durability then put DEX at 10 and make your INT and WIS 10 (INT for RP purposes, WIS because you really don't want to have a -1 to WIS saves).

Citan
2015-06-20, 04:40 AM
Thank you all for the answers, confirming my fears about creating a character that would be "too much in spotlight" for an NPC.
I'll probably keep him in my stash for when I can be a "PC only" then, and follow your advice to let the group start as their own first, see if they handle themselves (or add them a pure sorcerer which will be handled by one player, one of them is experienced enough to do so). :)

Thanks for the tips about fine-tuning the concept also, I'll bear it in mind. :=)

Citan
2015-06-20, 04:56 AM
You're the DM. You can make a custom NPC to do whatever you want it to do. PC character building rules don't apply to you.

I personally never use DMPCs, because I as a player have had bad experiences with them and I already have enough on my plate in combat managing all the monsters.

The party seems set for healing anyway. Ranger, Cleric dip. If they're really pressed for healing suggest someone take the Healer feat, or give one of them the feat for free / quest / item.

If you just want to play a DMPC because that's something you'd enjoy, and you like building PCs and playing them with the group, that's 100% fine. I can totally understand DMs who want to do that to keep themselves interested/happy with the game. Your build looks fine. Doesn't seem too powerful, and if you're excited about it, then go for it. Just be advised not to hog to spotlight, or make your DMPC super special in terms of plot etc. Keep the focus on the PCs.
That was indeed one of my fears, as I suspect being a "PC with voice" as well as DM can be difficult. My friend resolved the problem in his campaign by DMPlaying a very-low intelligence dwarf, only there to hit things ^^.

I just hope one of them will have decent INT or CHA for all the problems I'll put in front of them that have no chance to be resolved by sheer force. :)

noce
2015-06-20, 05:08 AM
I just hope one of them will have decent INT or CHA for all the problems I'll put in front of them that have no chance to be resolved by sheer force. :)

The arcane trickster is certainly suited. He needs INT for casting, has many skills, and has expertise.
He's a "trickster", after all, so I hope he picks CHA-based skills.

lordshadowisle
2015-06-20, 06:09 AM
As others have noted, the build is probably too complex for a NPC. I'll comment only on it as a PC class

First, errors: you'll only get up to level 8 slots (15 caster levels, warlock doesn't count!) This isn't a big issue, as it doesn't affect your build. You also begin with 4+6/2 = 7 paladins spells prepared.

Thoughts on your questions:
1. Seems fair, elemental affinity does nothing for you. Devotion aura is pretty weak though, I'll only go Paladin 7 here if you've sworn another oath. Note: you'll lose your level 8 spell slot.
2. I think this is a good trade. Warlock 3 has many goodies! Shillelagh means you can throw away your rapier and focus on CHA. Feel free to dump repelling blast for a utility invocation. Ritual learning is good, but you're stuck on level 2 and below rituals. Still good, since that covers most rituals. You'll also lose your level 8 spell slot.
2(why do you have 2 2's). Empowered sucks. Careful may be helpful, but your spell selection doesn't have anything that synergizes! How do you not have any AOE? Hypnotic pattern works well with careful. Fireball may be ok (but you'll still be frying your friends for 1/2).
3. If you want to go into melee with this build.

Other thoughts:
1. I have a hard time imagining how to play this; the melee paladin levels is only for burst, but otherwise he'll be better of with ranged eldritch blast. The character focus is lacking.
2. Very hard to level up and not be useless. Best option for leveling is Sorc 1(for con prof), 2 warlock (for EB), 2 paladin (unlock divine smite). But it feels like it's basically coasting on the OPness of EB.
3. I think you should keep healing word, it's the best in-combat healing spell (BA+range).

PotatoGolem
2015-06-20, 12:34 PM
If you want a DMPC, though, a straight Bard isn't necessarily a bad choice, so long as you let the players do all the talking. I gave my players a kobold Bard follower (the paladin was really into Neverwinter Nights), and they made good use of the little guy. As long as you stay to more of a minstrel/follower vibe, it shouldn't overshadow the party- keep him to healing and buffing, along with singing inspiring songs about how wonderful and grand and heroic and shiny and awesome the PCs are. I'd definitely keep DMPCs low-optimization- they shouldn't be better than the worst PC in the group.

Dralnu
2015-06-20, 02:50 PM
That was indeed one of my fears, as I suspect being a "PC with voice" as well as DM can be difficult. My friend resolved the problem in his campaign by DMPlaying a very-low intelligence dwarf, only there to hit things ^^.

I think you're going about it the right way. The fact that you show concern about possible issues already convinces me that you wouldn't fall into the traps people mention.

Run a session or two, and if you still want to DMPC for whatever reason, go for it. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Citan
2015-06-20, 06:46 PM
@Noce: you're right, he put a nice INT stat (14) and correct CHA (12). Let's hope he'll take the good skills also... :)
@PotatoGolem: thanks for the tip, duly noted. I love the idea of NPC always singing about the PC, that can praise them, but also mock them when they fail... ^^
@Drainu: thanks. I'll probably do that indeed.

As others have noted, the build is probably too complex for a NPC. I'll comment only on it as a PC class

Other thoughts:
1. I have a hard time imagining how to play this; the melee paladin levels is only for burst, but otherwise he'll be better of with ranged eldritch blast. The character focus is lacking.
2. Very hard to level up and not be useless. Best option for leveling is Sorc 1(for con prof), 2 warlock (for EB), 2 paladin (unlock divine smite). But it feels like it's basically coasting on the OPness of EB.
3. I think you should keep healing word, it's the best in-combat healing spell (BA+range).

Well, thank you for your honest propositions and critics. :) I agree with you that this character lacks focus, it's always a kind of habit of mine..
In a DD4 campaign where I played as regular PC, they were only a Rogue and a Warrior in the band so I had to fulfill the roles of caster/healer/controller as Bard/Wizard hybrid (3man team for a campaign set up for 4-5 people ^^). Was not easy to play, we nearly got wiped out on the very first fight because many misses overall. But very fun, as being the tactical one is usually fine with me. And having the Divine Mark through multiclass feat combined with forced movement/vicious mockery from the bard was imo an OP way to dispatch the most dangerous foe ^^. But Divine Mark was OP in itself imo because automatic damage. Anyways, back on topic...

I didn't play any campaign in DD5 yet, so all this is indeed only theorycrafting. Hence the ask for opinions.
As long as it's not severely underpowered it would be fine by me. But I'll keep it for when I can play PC anyways. Maybe I will realize during my players's session that in fact it's totally unnecessary to twist brains and classes like this to be versatile, who knows. :)

Anyways, a quick answer to your points:
1. Indeed, but I was under the impression that it was a flaw that would share a pure paladin also, so I thought that having more spell slots and reliable ranged attack would be a bonus rather than a regression.
2. Not sure to understand "coasting": you mean that my build would rely too much on basic EB attacks for general efficiency? Or that my build would SOLELY rely on EB for many levels become my concept can come online (which is indeed very probable I admit)?
3. I thought that Healing Word was in Paladin's List so I could "ditch" it later, thanks for the correction. Also duly noted the lack of AOE spells (I thought Scorching Ray could make do but I guess it's not enough after all). :)

Ashrym
2015-06-20, 09:01 PM
Warlocks don't count towards MC spell caster spell progression and paladins count half so the OP build wouldn't have the 9th level slot proposed. That gets to 15th level on the chart.

Fey patron is the way to go for non-evil/dark on the warlock and ancients paladin is an easy oath to match, especially for a half elf.

8th level ancients paladin, 9th level lore bard, 3rd level fey patron tome pact warlock would give that one more feat and have plenty of spells known, including 4th and 5th-level spells known not available in the OP build. A person could give up 5th-level spells known for another feat by dropping 1 bard level for 1 warlock level, but I would go for the 5th-level spells.

Xetheral
2015-06-21, 01:41 AM
I agree with dropping two levels of Sorcerer to get to Warlock 4. Shillelagh is important for this sort of build. Alternatively, stick with Warlock 2 and spend the 2 extra levels to get to Paladin 8, and using a Magical Secret to gwt Shillelagh.

Either way you get an extra feat. With Paladin you can get magic-resistance aura with Ancients. With warlock you don't have to burn a magic secret and double the number of sorcery points you can recharge on a short rest.

Citan
2015-06-21, 05:34 PM
Thanks for additional advice. Have not much time right now but I'll post a "final" build when I can. Even if I can't play him right now, I'll ensure you he'll get his chance one moment or another, considering all the community wisdom that was put in crafting him. :)

Citan
2015-06-23, 07:37 AM
Sooo...

What I'll probably go with (if only the character lives long enough ^^) for a final build, thanks to your suggestions, will be...

Sure classes
Paladin 7 : Oath of the Ancients for amazing aura.
Warlock 3 : Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + 2nd invocation + Tome Pact (Shillelagh + Guidance or Resistance + ThornWhip), Archfey Patron (I have the feeling that being able to push or pull enemies can be as fun as helpful with other melee fighters). :)
Bard 6 : for all skills cherry + spells + Magic Secrets.
Sorcerer 1 : for cantrips, 1st lvl spells and Draconic resilience (Favored Soul is very good to access some spells but I feel extra protection is necessary to go smiting in melee).

Later options with what will be left
With 3 levels left, I'll have up to 3 ASI/Feat if I feel it necessary (Paladin8 or Warlock4 or Bard8) OR go Warlock 5th for ASI+Feat, lvl3 slots and additional Invocation OR Sorcerer 3rth for 2nd lvl spells and Metamagic fun OR go Bard 9 for 5th lvl spells. I'll check when (if) I get there. 17 levels of planning is already very far-stretched imo. :)

ASI/Feats
For ASI/Feats, Maxing CHA, then Warcaster is a given, probably Inspiring Leader if/when I can.

Leveling planning
Although I admit Warlock or Sorcerer would be better build-wise, I'll start with Bard because I made all his background around it (and CON saves for concentration will come with Warcaster). If I'm useful to party as a pure bard I'll go at least to Bard 4 for skills and first ASI/feat.
Probably then sorcerer 1 (armor), warlock 2 (EB) (or reverse) then whatever is best suited with the group I'll be with and how I fare in combat (up bard first if utility needed, or take 2 lvls Paladin beforehand for the Smite ability).

NOTES/FINAL Questions for those who still bear with me :)
1. I find the power from Fey Patron very lacklusting (frighten/charm for a turn), compared to Great Old One (free telepathy with anyone 30 feet!!!). Is this really useful ? Or can I find a non-evil ancient god that could work as GOO?

2. You all seem very keen on getting CHA to 20. Specific to my build because everything on it? Or is a 20 instead of 18 really a "requirement" for any character (I ask as a DM too in case a player needs advice).

3. On the same page, you also seem very focused on getting as many Feats as possible. Is it really so game-changing?

4. From what I understood, pushing someone with Repelling Blast or pulling them with Thorn Whip has no chance to provoke AoO for an ally, since they are not using their own move. Contrarily, Dissonant Whispers and other "frighten" effect can provoke them. Correct?

5. Is Magic Missile worth it? I find it very useful to give a 100% success final blow to wounded enemy or dispatch several minions (since only Shield can block it iirc). But maybe I overevaluate it?

6. Control Flames cantrip stipulates it works with "non-magical fire". So I guess Create Bonfire is excluded?

7. Is it worth to have cantrips covering different elements in case of immune enemies, or useless considering the low damage compared to "real" spells?

8. Case: my Monk ally is at hands with an enemy. He wants to damage him then flee to safety on his next turn, but let's say he has no more ki points to disengage. If I decide to use Eldritch REPELLING Blast as a reaction on his turn just after his attack and succeed, hence pushing away the enemy... Then technically Monk gets out of his reach then can move safely right? If yes, would it also work if I were aligned with both of them, behind my ally?

Thanks again for your time. :wink:

zinycor
2015-06-23, 09:53 AM
What level is your party right now?

Citan
2015-06-23, 01:15 PM
What level is your party right now?
Hi ! Thanks for stopping by! :)

Initially, I was asking advice for a PC that I would manage while also DMing (DMPC), but experienced players advised me to let my group play alone (Ranger/Rogue/Monk) as they should fend for themselves good enough without having a dedicated spellcaster/healer (which also avoids me the risks of spoiling adventure or taking too much light).

So I'll keep this concept for a) either later in the campaign if they need it or b) for another adventure entirely (that I wouldn't DM probably).
Only sure thing is that I'll play this concept one moment or another. :)

As for the campaign I'm writing (hoping to start in two weeks max), I was planning to make it start lvl1 for everyone. Easier for them to grasp basic game concepts, and leveling up seems very fast until level 5 anyways (I intend for them to get to lvl3 quickly so then can begin playing around with their archetypes).