PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Life Warden (Prestige Class) (PEACH)

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-19, 03:24 PM
Hello everybody,
Here is my third class that I am working on. This is a class designed to bring down the current Cleric holy warrior and divine spell caster archetype. The deity that sponsors this class is a water goddess and she favors healing and forgiveness. What I'd like to accomplish is a full healing caster

Thanks in advance for all your help!

P.S. I'm also terrible at placing the ability tags like Su and Ex. I'd appreciate help with it!

Life Warden
Hit Die
d6

Requirements
Alignment: Any Good
Deity: Vita
Feats: Augment Healing
Skills: Heal 10 ranks
Special: Must be able to cast Cure Critical Wounds.

Class Skills
Class Skills
The Life Warden's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Class Features
Spellcasting

1st
+0+0+0+2
Triage
+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2nd
+1+0+0+3
Dedicated Healer 1/day
3rd
+1+1+1+3
Protection of the Wise
4th
+2+1+1+4
Dedicated Healer 2/day
5th
+2+1+1+4
Healer’s Touch
6th
+3+2+2+5
Dedicated Healer 3/day
7th
+3+2+2+5
Divine Familiar
8th
+4+2+2+6
Dedicated Healer 4/day
9th
+4+3+3+6
Swift Healing
10th
+5+3+3+7
Dedicated Healer 5/day, Master Healer

Class Features:
All the following are Class Features of the Skyborn Enforcers prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Life Wardens gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Life Wardens are prohibited from wearing heavy armor; as the church of Vita seeks to portray an air of peace and non-violence.

A Life Warden who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast Life Warden spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Triage (Su):
At 1st level, as a free action, a Life Warden can activate Death Watch, Healer’s Vision, or Status. A Life Warden may have only one of these spells active at a time and they have an infinite duration.

Dedicated Healer (Su):
At 2nd level, when casting a healing spell, a Life Warden can also sacrifice an extra spell slot and add 1d6 per level of the sacrificed spell to the spell they are casting.

This spell gains an additional use per day at every even Life Warden level.

Protection of the Wise (Ex):
At 3rd level, while unarmored and carrying a light load, a Life Warden adds her wisdom bonus to AC.

Healer's Touch (Su):
At 5th level, a Life Warden can use Healer's Touch. This functions as the Paladin's Lay on Hands class feature, except that you may use your Life Warden levels in place of your Paladin levels. In addition to healing the target, if you choose to heal more than 10 points of damage, you can also remove one of the following status effects: Dazed, Shaken, Fatigued, Poisoned, Frightened, Nauseated, or Paralyzed.

Divine Familiar (Ex):
At 7th level, a Life Warden is granted a divine familiar. This function's like the Sorcerer's Summon Familiar class feature, except that you are granted a small water elemental familiar. This familiar grants you a +2 on all healing and Knowledge (Religion) checks.

For determining the level of the familiar, use caster level in place of your sorcerer levels.

Swift Healing (Ex):
At 9th level, a Life Warden can cast healing spells as a swift action.

Master Healer (Ex):
At 10th level, you gain one use of each spell from the healing domain as a spell like ability once per day. You must still be able to cast the level of spell required to use any of these spell like abilities.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-19, 03:47 PM
Hm. Full caster, one feat tax, 7th-level entry gated by a not-particularly-useful skill and a spell. That's fair, since the class features are better than 10 levels of Cleric (casting PrCs should either lose some casting or have entry taxes).

Triage is nice. Would be good to have Status as a third option.

Dedicated Healer is kind of... not good. I don't like those "sacrifice a spell of X level for Xd6 of something", because the exchange rate is pretty awful (a sixth-level slot could be spend for +6d6 healing, or it could be used to cast heal for CL*10 healing). Not sure what, if anything, should replace this.

There needs to be some way for these guys to get ranged healing. Maybe they can cast any [Healing] spell with a range of touch as a close-range spell 1/day at 2nd, +1/day every 2 levels after that? Would be a nice replacement for Dedicated Healer.

Protection of the Wise is good.

Healer's Touch isn't all that good because of its numbers. It should key from the primary casting stat of the class they used to qualify for the PrC, and scale with caster level.

Divine Familiar has two issues. You didn't list a scaling for the familiar abilities (tying it to CL works), and there's no such thing as a Tiny water elemental. You'd have to make it a Small water elemental, or come up with custom stats.

Swift Healing should come online earlier. Maybe they can cast a [healing] spell as a swift action if they didn't cast any other spells that round from 4th level on, and then at 9th they can cast a [healing] spell as a swift action in the same round as a different spell?

Capstone is weak but it fits for a healer.

Overall... meh. It's a fairly well-designed class (it at least doesn't make a character worse at things other than healing), but healing isn't a good focus in d20. If I wanted a full-casting PrC to boost my healing, I would take Radiant Servant of Pelor, but that's not exactly a fair comparison (that PrC is way overpowered).

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-19, 04:01 PM
Hm. Full caster, one feat tax, 7th-level entry gated by a not-particularly-useful skill and a spell. That's fair, since the class features are better than 10 levels of Cleric (casting PrCs should either lose some casting or have entry taxes).
I'd prefer not to tax the casting on this... what other feats would you recommend?

Triage is nice. Would be good to have Status as a third option.
I'll definitely add Status, I like that.

Dedicated Healer is kind of... not good.
Huh. Here I thought it was pretty sweet! I'll work on this.

There needs to be some way for these guys to get ranged healing. Maybe they can cast any [Healing] spell with a range of touch as a close-range spell 1/day at 2nd, +1/day every 2 levels after that? Would be a nice replacement for Dedicated Healer.
I do like this. I think I'll use it!

Protection of the Wise is good.
Bonus AC from your primary stat is always good!

Healer's Touch isn't all that good because of its numbers. It should key from the primary casting stat of the class they used to qualify for the PrC, and scale with caster level.
It would work fine if it was Wis Mod x CL?

Divine Familiar has two issues. You didn't list a scaling for the familiar abilities (tying it to CL works), and there's no such thing as a Tiny water elemental. You'd have to make it a Small water elemental, or come up with custom stats.
I'll make it a small water elemental. I'll also work on the scaling for it's abilities.

Swift Healing should come online earlier. Maybe they can cast a [healing] spell as a swift action if they didn't cast any other spells that round from 4th level on, and then at 9th they can cast a [healing] spell as a swift action in the same round as a different spell?
That is good. "Swift Healing" & "Improved Swift Healing"

Capstone is weak but it fits for a healer.
Hmmm....

Overall... meh. It's a fairly well-designed class (it at least doesn't make a character worse at things other than healing), but healing isn't a good focus in d20.
I am 1 for 3 with you! I need to up my game!

If I wanted a full-casting PrC to boost my healing, I would take Radiant Servant of Pelor, but that's not exactly a fair comparison (that PrC is way overpowered).
D:

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-19, 04:56 PM
I'd prefer not to tax the casting on this... what other feats would you recommend?

Nah, it's fine where it is. Augment Healing and the Heal ranks are a good enough entry price for this class.

It would work fine if it was Wis Mod x CL?

Yup.

I am 1 for 3 with you! I need to up my game!

Eh, closer to 2 for 3. Stone Sentinel was pretty good (I'd take it if I were in one of your games*), and this one at least does what it's supposed to.

Also these PrCs look to be built for a lower optimization level than I usually play at, so a lot of my feedback is going to be along the lines of "eh. I guess it's alright". Not a bad thing :smallbiggrin:

D:

Don't worry. Being worse than RSoP is like being worse than IotSV. If you aren't familiar with Radiant Servant of Pelor, go take a look at it (it's on the site-which-must-not-be-named), and you'll understand.

*you should run a PbP at some point so I can be in one of your games.