PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss from previous editions? A case for bard's lore

Takewo
2015-06-19, 04:28 PM
This thread made me ask this question to myself: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422803-Why-do-people-think-spellcasters-break-the-game-at-higher-levels and I'd find interesting to know what you would answer. Which features, rules, things in general from previous D&D editions would you like that they hadn't dumped?

The one I probably miss the most is bard's lore. I think it was really cool and gave the bard a role a bit more interesting than the "I can only give a bonus to my mates' actions" thing that was his main role. As a GM, you could assume that your party would get any context they needed for the adventure from a single roll. And also (especially if there was no divination) it gave you a good control over what they knew and what they didn't. It was perfectly cool to decide that something was too recent/long ago/hidden/whatever to be part of popular/obscure lore, so you could decide what to give or not to give them without making it seem artificial. It seems to me that now, either you give the information they need on a plate (NPC, book, any source from outside the party), they can use divination magic or they must start a quest to find the information they need and trust that the master has prepared it (which is sort of cool; once in a while, but maybe not as a general rule).