PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Awakened Woodland Creatures - PEACH

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 05:39 PM
So, this is the kind of thing I do when I get bored: I make random PC races.

This idea started when I read in the DMG about reflavoring the Halfling to be an anthropomorphic mouse (page 285, under Cosmetic Alterations), and I thought: how cool would it be to play an Otter fighter that was basically from Narnia, or somewhere with Awakened animals. Here is my first run on Animal PCs. I'm willing to add more animals to the list if anyone has any suggestions :D

Awakened Woodland Creatures

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Age. You reach maturity at 1 year old, and you live to be about 30.
Alignment. You grew up in the woodlands and you tend to fend for yourself, you don't trust outsiders as easily. You might have a personal code of honor, but you tend towards the chaotic.
Size. You stand between 2 and 3 feet tall. Your size is small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Awakened. While you appear to be just a much larger version of an animal, you are actually a much more intelligent version of that animal. This was caused by a Fey's magic, and their magic gave you the power of speech and turned your front paws into paw-like hands.
Barding and Arming. Any armor you are proficient in can be tailored to your animal body. This increases the cost of the weapon by 5gp, but allows a weapon to retain its damage die, except in the case of a weapon with the Heavy property, in which case, the weapon's damage die drops to 2d4.
Darkvision. You can see in darkness for 60 feet.
Naturally Stealthy. You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you.
Nimbleness. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.
Subrace. You are a particular kind of creature from the woodlands.

Otter
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Aquatic. You have advantage on Constitution checks to hold your breath, and you gain a swimming speed of 35 feet.

Badger
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score does not increase. Instead your Constitution score increases by 2 and your Strength score increases by 1.
Superior Darkvision. You can see in in darkness for 120 feet.
Tunnel Dweller. You gain a burrowing speed of 10 feet.

Mouse
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Crafty. You gain proficiency in the Sleight of Hand skill, and a climbing speed of 30 feet.

Rat
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Devious. You gain proficiency in the Deception skill, and a climbing speed of 30 feet.

Hedgehog
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Curled Spines. As a reaction, when you are attacked by a melee attack you may curl into a ball. This halves damage dealt to you and deals 1d6 piercing damage to the foe who attacked you. While you are curled up, you are treated as prone for the purposes of movement.

Fox
Winter Coat. When in cold conditions you are considered proficient with the Survival skill, if you are not already. You also have advantage on saving throws against cold damage. You also have resistance against cold damage.

Turtle
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score does not increase. Instead your Strength score increases by 2 and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race. Your base movement speed is 20 feet. You also have a swim speed of 30 feet.
Hard Shell. You have a natural AC that equals 13 + your Strength modifier. As a reaction you may drop whatever you are holding and retreat into your shell. Opponents attacking you must make a Strength attack (DC = your AC + your proficiency bonus) or a Finesse attack that matches your AC to get into your shell. Once per short rest you may use this feature to avoid spells that require a saving throw.

Porcupine
Ability Score Increase. You Constitution score increases by 1.
Stay Back. You can throw your spines to deal 1d4 piercing damage. They have 20/60 range, and possess the Finesse property.

Cat
Ability Score Increase. You may increase your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma stat by 1.
Lesser Catfall. You may treat any fall as if it were 20 feet shorter than it actually was, and as long as you beat a DC 5 Dexterity saving throw you land on your feet.
Claws. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes. They deal 1d4 slashing damage, and you may use your Strength or Dexterity score on the attack.

Lizard
Minor Subrace. There are many different types of lizards from all around the world. You are likely one of the following.

Gecko
Tree Dweller. You gain a climbing speed equal to your movement speed. If you are not already proficient, you are considered proficient with Wisdom (Survival) checks in the forest.

Frilled Lizard
Frilled Intimidator. You are proficient with the Intimidation skill. As a reaction you can flare your hood. Doing so gives you a +5 to an Intimidation check against an opponent's Wisdom saving throw. If you succeed, their attack misses. You may use this ability once per short or long rest.

Chameleon
Stealthy. Your base movement speed is 20 feet. Your skin can change color to blend with your surroundings. As a bonus action you may start the process, and by the start of your next turn, you are completely hidden. You are no longer hidden once you make an attack, or cast a spell.

Skink
Adapt to Survive. You are proficient with the Survival skill. You may drop your tail to Disengage as a reaction. Any enemy that was attacking you misses their attack and is Surprised. You may do this once every 7 days.

Basilisk
Swift and Miraculous. Your base movement speed is 30 feet. Your legs carry you so quickly that you can run across water at a speed equal to your base movement speed + 10 feet.

Ant
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score does not increase. Instead your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Carapace. Your exoskeleton grants you an AC = to 12 + your Constitution modifier.
Vestigial Limbs. You have two smaller arms that can manipulate objects and interact with the environment, but cannot wield weapons that aren't Light.
Languages. You can speak Deep Speech. Communication with races that speak any other language must be done non-verbally. You do not gain any languages from your background.

Raven
Winged. You have a fly speed of 40 feet. You may not use this speed while wearing medium or heavy armor.

Variant Raven
Winged. You have a fly speed of 40 feet. You may not use this speed while wearing medium or heavy armor.
Nevermore. When a creature within 60 feet of you drops to 0 hit points as the direct result of your attack, or an ally's attack, you may select one creature that is hostile to you. That creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw, or become frightened by you for 1 minute. The DC for this saving throw is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. On a failure they must use their turn to get as far away form you as they can, and repeat this saving throw at the end of every turn. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw cannot be frightened by you in this manner for 24 hours. This replaces the Naturally Stealthy and Nimbleness traits.

Requiemforlust
2015-06-19, 06:48 PM

This idea started when I read in the DMG about reflavoring the Halfling to be an anthropomorphic mouse (page 285, under Cosmetic Alterations), and I thought: how cool would it be to play an Otter fighter that was basically from Narnia, or somewhere with Awakened animals. Here is my first run on Animal PCs. I'm willing to add more animals to the list if anyone has any suggestions :D

Alignment. You grew up in the woodlands and you tend to fend for yourself, you don't trust outsiders as easily. You might have a personal code of honor, but you tend towards the chaotic.
Barding. Any armor you are proficient in can be tailored to your animal body.
Naturally Stealthy. You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you.
Nimbleness. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.

Otter
Aquatic. You have advantage on Constitution checks to hold your breath, and you gain a swimming speed of 35 feet.

Badger
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score does not increase. Instead your Constitution score increases by 2 and your Strength score increases by 1.

Mouse
Crafty. You gain proficiency in the Sleight of Hand skill, and a climbing speed of 30 feet.

I may be new here, but I've been playing D&D since 3rd edition. It looks pretty decent for 5E :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 07:22 PM
I may be new here, but I've been playing D&D since 3rd edition. It looks pretty decent for 5E :)

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms?

Requiemforlust
2015-06-19, 07:25 PM
Any thoughts, comments, criticisms?

I wanna play Reepicheep :D

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 07:42 PM
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this race?

Logosloki
2015-06-20, 07:42 AM
More sub-races are needed imo. Seems pretty balanced but you either need a fluff feature or some racial fluff to point out that awakened animals do have 'hands' (or do they not, in which case there are some interesting play ideas that evolve).

DracoKnight
2015-06-20, 10:31 AM
More sub-races are needed imo. Seems pretty balanced but you either need a fluff feature or some racial fluff to point out that awakened animals do have 'hands' (or do they not, in which case there are some interesting play ideas that evolve).

I agree that more subraces are needed, and I welcome everyone's suggestions :)
They do indeed have hands - think the animals from the Narnia films; particularly Reepicheep the mouse, and Trufflehunter the badger.

DracoKnight
2015-06-20, 11:47 AM

I added the fluff ability to explain that they have hands :)

Animals I'm thinking of adding:

Cat
Ferret
Fox
Hedgehog
Mole
Porcupine
Rabbit
Rat
Shrew

Anything else that people want to see?

Belac93
2015-06-20, 01:23 PM
All of these seem really awesome

DracoKnight
2015-06-22, 02:24 PM
All of these seem really awesome

Thank you :) I'm working on the others that I mentioned in the comment above :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-23, 12:10 PM

Cat
Ferret
Fox
Hedgehog
Mole
Porcupine
Rabbit
Rat
Shrew

Any idea on what to give these?

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-23, 12:52 PM
Why do all of these animals have darkvision? That seems...off, except for those that do frequently operate at night.

Snig
2015-06-23, 03:02 PM
What about an Opossum?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-24, 02:35 AM
Why do all of these animals have darkvision? That seems...off, except for those that do frequently operate at night.

Haven't you heard? Every race gets darkvision by default now. Not having darkvision is considered a racial feature because it enhances the roleplaying experience.

To the OP: maybe consider having different bases for tiny, small and medium creatures?

Logosloki
2015-06-24, 09:04 AM
I added the fluff ability to explain that they have hands :)

Cat
Ferret
Fox
Hedgehog
Mole
Porcupine
Rabbit
Rat
Shrew

Anything else that people want to see?
Not sure about the +1 stat for these but:
Cat - Pounce
Ferret -
Fox - winter coat (their fur changes adapts to colder climes, allowing them to ignore cold weather effects)
Hedgehog - Defensive spines (as a reaction they can curl up causing damage to melee attackers)
Mole - Blindsight, burrowing speed
Porcupine - lose darkvision, gain climbing speed (I like new world porcupines more than old world ones) and a ranged attack (it's fantasy, porcupines can have their fairytale ability to shoot things)
Rabbit - some sort of disengage ability
Shrew - gain performance as a bonus skill

Other animals that didn't make the cut
Platypus - poison attack (only males have barbs in real life but barbs for everyone in fantasy because fun comes first)
Beaver - swim speed and a natural bite attack

DracoKnight
2015-06-24, 11:50 AM
Not sure about the +1 stat for these but:
Cat - Pounce
Ferret -
Fox - winter coat (their fur changes adapts to colder climes, allowing them to ignore cold weather effects)
Hedgehog - Defensive spines (as a reaction they can curl up causing damage to melee attackers)
Mole - Blindsight, burrowing speed
Porcupine - lose darkvision, gain climbing speed (I like new world porcupines more than old world ones) and a ranged attack (it's fantasy, porcupines can have their fairytale ability to shoot things)
Rabbit - some sort of disengage ability
Shrew - gain performance as a bonus skill

Other animals that didn't make the cut
Platypus - poison attack (only males have barbs in real life but barbs for everyone in fantasy because fun comes first)
Beaver - swim speed and a natural bite attack

I like all of those :)
Question: is pounce in any of the books, or is it an ability you made up?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-25, 10:29 AM
Haven't you heard? Every race gets darkvision by default now. Not having darkvision is considered a racial feature because it enhances the roleplaying experience.

I pray that that was some form of satirical humor. . . please let it be so.

Requests:
Squirrel - Climb speed, bite, disengage, +1 Dex
Hawk/Owl - Fly, Talons/bite, +1 Int or dex
Bat* - Fly speed, blind sense, bite, +1 Dex
Gecko - Climb speed, sleight of hand, +1 Con
Turtle* - Natural AC, hold breath, bite attack, Adv on first bite made each combat, +1 Con
Hedgehog (already listed, but pointing at it) - Reaction to spike enemy on hit, unarmed strike can deal piercing
Otter - Swim speed, hold breath, +1 wis
Frog/Toad - Double jump, 25ft walk speed, maybe contact poison, +1 Con
Chameleon - Climb Speed, rotating eyes, color change, +1 Int
Crab/Crayfish - Claws, Natural AC, water breathing, swim speed (10ft), +1 Str (because ow)

DracoKnight
2015-06-25, 01:05 PM

Most animals see better at night, or at least decently at night.

DracoKnight
2015-06-26, 01:11 PM
Hawk/Owl - Fly, Talons/bite, +1 Int or dex
Bat* - Fly speed, blind sense, bite, +1 Dex

I like the rest of your suggestions, but I don't know if I'll do these, just because most people seem to dislike the Aarakocra (I am not one of them, I happen to think they're balanced, and actually really easily countered)

DracoKnight
2015-06-26, 01:12 PM
I've updated the OP with some additional subraces, for everyone's viewing.

Belac93
2015-06-26, 02:36 PM
What about something like this for cats?
Cat
Ability Score Increase. Your choice of Wisdom or Charisma increases by 1
Cats always land on their feet. You may treat any fall as being 20 ft shorter that it would normally be. You may always land on your feet after a fall.
Claws. You may use Dexterity for your unarmed strikes attack and damage rolls. Your unarmed strikes are light and deal slashing damage.

DracoKnight
2015-06-26, 02:44 PM
What about something like this for cats?
Cat
Ability Score Increase. Your choice of Wisdom or Charisma increases by 1
Cats always land on their feet. You may treat any fall as being 20 ft shorter that it would normally be. You may always land on your feet after a fall.
Claws. You may use Dexterity for your unarmed strikes attack and damage rolls. Your unarmed strikes are light and deal slashing damage.

I have added cats, maybe not word-for-word as you had them, but the gist is there.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-06-26, 03:43 PM
I like all of these, and they fit into literally any world with almost no effort necessary...all you have to do is have wildlife and fey in your world. :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-26, 03:59 PM
I like all of these, and they fit into literally any world with almost no effort necessary...all you have to do is have wildlife and fey in your world. :)

That was one of my goals, cuz there are times when I want to get something into a game, and the DM says "No, that's not in my world."

GandalfTheWhite
2015-06-27, 03:26 AM
That was one of my goals, cuz there are times when I want to get something into a game, and the DM says "No, that's not in my world."

Thank you for attempting to accommodate your fellow DMs :)

Logosloki
2015-06-27, 08:26 AM
Sorry for the late reply. Pounce is in the Monster Manual on various monsters - typically it is if the monster moves at least half their movement in a straight line to a target and makes an attack on the same turn that target must make an 8+str+prof DC strength save or be knocked prone, if they are already prone then you make may an attack on the target instead. Thinking about it though pounce may be problematic for balance.

DracoKnight
2015-06-28, 03:32 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Pounce is in the Monster Manual on various monsters - typically it is if the monster moves at least half their movement in a straight line to a target and makes an attack on the same turn that target must make an 8+str+prof DC strength save or be knocked prone, if they are already prone then you make may an attack on the target instead. Thinking about it though pounce may be problematic for balance.

Thank you for clarifying :) I think that I'll stick to the way I have Cats right now :)

GandalfTheWhite
2015-06-28, 05:13 PM

That'd be extremely OP for a PC race. That's something that you get as a higher level Barbarian, if I'm not mistaken :P

DracoKnight
2015-06-29, 12:42 PM

Awakened. While you appear to be just a much larger version of an animal, you are actually a much more intelligent version of that animal. This was caused by a Fey's magic, and their magic gave you the power of speech and turned your front paws into paw-like hands.
Barding and Arming. Any armor you are proficient in can be tailored to your animal body. This increases the cost of the weapon by 5gp, but allows a weapon to retain its damage die, except in the case of a weapon with the Heavy property, in which case, the weapon's damage die drops to 2d4.

Otter

Badger

Mouse

Rat
Devious. You gain proficiency in the Deception skill, and a climbing speed of 30 feet.

Hedgehog
Curled Spines. As a reaction, when you are attacked by a melee attack you may curl into a ball. This halves damage dealt to you and deals 1d6 piercing damage to the foe who attacked you. While you are curled up, you are treated as prone for the purposes of movement.

Fox
Winter Coat. When in cold conditions you are considered proficient with the Survival skill, if you are not already. You also have advantage on saving throws against cold damage.

Turtle
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score does not increase. Instead your Strength score increases by 2 and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race. Your base movement speed is 20 feet. You also have a swim speed of 30 feet.
Hard Shell. You have a natural AC that equals 13 + your Strength modifier. As a reaction you may drop whatever you are holding and retreat into your shell. Opponents attacking you must make a Strength attack (DC = your AC + your proficiency bonus) or a Finesse attack that matches your AC to get into your shell. Once per short rest you may use this feature to avoid spells that require a saving throw.

Porcupine
Stay Back. You can throw your spines to deal 1d4 piercing damage. They have 20/60 range, and possess the Finesse property.

Cat
Ability Score Increase. You may increase your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma stat by 1.
Lesser Catfall. You may treat any fall as if it were 20 feet shorter than it actually was, and as long as you beat a DC 5 Dexterity saving throw you land on your feet.
Claws. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes. They deal 1d4 slashing damage, and you may use your Strength or Dexterity score on the attack.

Lizard
Minor Subrace. There are many different types of lizards from all around the world. You are likely one of the following.

Gecko
Tree Dweller. You gain a climbing speed equal to your movement speed. If you are not already proficient, you are considered proficient with Wisdom (Survival) checks in the forest.

Frilled Lizard
Frilled Intimidator. You are proficient with the Intimidation skill. You may flare your frilled hood and gain a +1 bonus to AC for 1 minute. This ability may be used once per short or long rest.

Chameleon
Stealthy. Your base movement speed is 20 feet. Your skin can change color to blend with your surroundings. As a bonus action you may start the process, and by the start of your next turn, you are completely hidden. You are no longer hidden once you make an attack, or cast a spell.

Skink
Adapt to Survive. You are proficient with the Survival skill. You may drop your tail to Disengage as a reaction. Any enemy that was attacking you misses their attack and is Surprised. You may do this once every 1d6+1 days.

Basilisk
Swift and Miraculous. Your base movement speed is 30 feet. Your legs carry you so quickly that you can run across water at a speed equal to your base movement speed + 10 feet.

I have updated the OP with new subraces for the forum to check.

DracoKnight
2015-06-29, 12:55 PM
I have added various Lizards and the Ant (in honor of Ant-Man coming to theaters soon.)

GandalfTheWhite
2015-06-29, 04:41 PM
I have added various Lizards and the Ant (in honor of Ant-Man coming to theaters soon.)

I like the lizards. Also, I like what you've done with the turtle and the ant: using STR to calculate AC. I hate that this Edition is so DEX dependent...: Initiative, AC, Sneak Attack, the most common Saving Throw...basically if your Dex is ****, your character's gonna suck :P

Requiemforlust
2015-06-29, 04:57 PM
The only problem I see with this (as you have it now) is the sheer amount of subraces that you have. It is probably the most versatile race now - even more so than the Half-Elf or the Variant Human. But I guess it does make sense thematically :P

DracoKnight
2015-06-29, 05:22 PM
The only problem I see with this (as you have it now) is the sheer amount of subraces that you have. It is probably the most versatile race now - even more so than the Half-Elf or the Variant Human. But I guess it does make sense thematically :P

Hmmmmmm...you have a point... Thoughts anyone?

DracoKnight
2015-06-29, 10:21 PM

Otter

Badger

Mouse

Rat

Hedgehog

Fox
Winter Coat. When in cold conditions you are considered proficient with the Survival skill, if you are not already. You also have advantage on saving throws against cold damage.

Turtle

Porcupine

Cat

Lizard

Gecko

Frilled Lizard
Frilled Intimidator. You are proficient with the Intimidation skill. You may flare your frilled hood and gain a +1 bonus to AC for 1 minute. This ability may be used once per short or long rest.

Chameleon

Skink
Adapt to Survive. You are proficient with the Survival skill. You may drop your tail to Disengage as a reaction. Any enemy that was attacking you misses their attack and is Surprised. You may do this once every 1d6+1 days.

Basilisk

Ant
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity Score does not increase. Instead your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Carapace. Your exoskeleton grants you an AC = to 12 + your Strength modifier.
Vestigial Limbs. You have two smaller arms that can manipulate objects and interact with the environment, but cannot wield weapons that aren't Light.
Languages. You can speak Deep Speech. Communication with races that speak any other language must be done non-verbally. You do not gain any languages from your background.

Is there anything else that I should add, or does the forum agree with Requiemforlust that I should stop adding to this race? My hesitance in not adding more subraces is that there is so many other animals in the world.

khadgar567
2015-06-30, 12:49 AM
Is there anything else that I should add, or does the forum agree with Requiemforlust that I should stop adding to this race? My hesitance in not adding more subraces is that there is so many other animals in the world.
is there any chance giant eagle( or maybe giant bald eagle) can be awaken animal

Logosloki
2015-06-30, 08:12 AM
I think at this stage, if we are going to go any further we should split our cuddly friends into races and then sub race those, much like how there is lizard and then sub-races on top of that. Congrats everyone!

DracoKnight
2015-06-30, 03:29 PM
I think at this stage, if we are going to go any further we should split our cuddly friends into races and then sub race those, much like how there is lizard and then sub-races on top of that. Congrats everyone!

I think I'm done. Unless anyone wants to add to it. But I am closing my part in the development of this race. If other people want to split it up into more races for their own games, I would be interested to see what you come up with, but for the moment, I think we're good :)

DracoKnight
2015-07-01, 05:30 PM
I updated some of the abilities that were a little bit wonky.

DracoKnight
2015-12-15, 10:52 PM
I have added a Raven to the list of subraces :smallsmile:

JNAProductions
2015-12-15, 11:23 PM
The Variant Raven is slightly more powerful than the regular Raven. Nevermore is good, and Charisma is just as good as Wisdom.

DracoKnight
2015-12-15, 11:31 PM
The Variant Raven is slightly more powerful than the regular Raven. Nevermore is good, and Charisma is just as good as Wisdom.

Changed it from CHA to INT. And corrected the features that it replaces.