View Full Version : how bad could it be if rangers could have a 1/2 companion.

Kidbuu51
2015-06-19, 06:01 PM
Been thinking on upping the cr limit for a while mostly for black bears but how bad would it be if I did, what exploits should I be wary of.

Naanomi
2015-06-19, 07:54 PM
Blackbear, as you said, packs quite a punch

Ape has multiattack and a ranged attack; and 'can use many items' type limbs

Giant Wasp has a good poison, and can fly halflings around

Submortimer
2015-06-19, 08:40 PM
My thought process on ranger has always been this: The beast that a BM currently gets is given to ALL rangers, and the BM gets to upgrade his to something like this. This makes BM ranger not only a viable option, but an appealing one, and it lets rangers keep all the abilities they've always been known for.

Gurka
2015-06-20, 12:01 AM
My thought process on ranger has always been this: The beast that a BM currently gets is given to ALL rangers, and the BM gets to upgrade his to something like this. This makes BM ranger not only a viable option, but an appealing one, and it lets rangers keep all the abilities they've always been known for.

I like your idea a LOT. Maybe leave out a few of the higher level (though still lackluster) beast perks they have now, since the hunter is quite good on his own. I think that's a fantastic idea.

DivisibleByZero
2015-06-20, 12:12 AM

Our table grants all Rangers the Animal Friendship spell for free, which doesn't count against spells known. The Ranger can cast that spell as normal, with the normal results/effect. The Ranger can also cast that spell with the expressed intent of gaining an animal companion for the day.
If cast from a 1st level slot, the companion can be up to 1/8 CR. From a second level slot, 1/4 CR. From a third level slot, 1/2 CR. From a fourth level slot, CR 1. From a fifth level slot, CR 2.
All Rangers have the Beast Master archetype, but only when they have an active, living companion at the time. So all Rangers are Hunters, and also become Beast Masters if/when they call a companion.

If the Ranger's companion dies, he must cast the spell again, with the expressed intent of calling another companion. This system allows more powerful companions, but requires high levels slots (possibly many) per day. It also grants the DM some leeway as to which animals are available for the Ranger's companion, depending on the climate or terrain of the area.

It works very, very well for us.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-20, 02:28 AM
Been thinking on upping the cr limit for a while mostly for black bears but how bad would it be if I did, what exploits should I be wary of.

An ape has multiattack, so the system doesn't work anymore. That's all I can say about it.
And it is balanced, BM isn't the worst. I prefer it above hunter.

Kidbuu51
2015-06-20, 04:53 PM

So your saying a ranger hunter would have a 1\4 creature while a BM could get a 1\2 beast with it correct. Do your animals act independently for the hunters or is companion a 3rd level ranger ability? While BMs get an upgrades creature at level 3.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-22, 10:00 AM
So your saying a ranger hunter would have a 1\4 creature while a BM could get a 1\2 beast with it correct. Do your animals act independently for the hunters or is companion a 3rd level ranger ability? While BMs get an upgrades creature at level 3.

What would be the different?