PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Invocation-based magic items?

Valwyn
2015-06-19, 06:15 PM
I was thinking, can you use the normal rules for crafting magic items to create magic items that duplicate warlock invocations (necklace of Beguiling Influence, helmet of All-Seeing Eyes)? I mean, technically each invocation has a spell equivalent level, so you could, but I haven't found any official items that do that, only items that improve/alter your eldritch blast.

What do you think, Playground? Yes, no, or DM call?

Doc_Maynot
2015-06-19, 06:17 PM
Just like any custom magic item, it'd be a DM call. But I see no reason that if they allow custom magic items why they wouldn't let you use your invocations.

nedz
2015-06-19, 07:26 PM
Many invocations are simply spell effects, those would be easy to duplicate.

Other than that it's a DM's call about custom items. I'd be wary of reducing a class's unique abilities to a set of items though.

Valwyn
2015-06-19, 07:36 PM
The thing is, I was thinking of replicating Samus Aran's equipment in Metroid Prime (ony Metroid game I've played), and I was thinking of crafting a helmet with a few invocations on them (Devil's Sight, See the Unseen, and maybe All-Seeing Eyes). Something like them being active 24/7 (like most warlock buffs are) but needing a swift action to switch between each of them.

I do realize I could just play a warlock, but while the class could work as a basis for Samus, I don't think it has much to offer other than a a few specific invocations.

That, and I was curious to see what the Payground thought of possible invocation-base items.

atemu1234
2015-06-19, 09:57 PM
The thing is, I was thinking of replicating Samus Aran's equipment in Metroid Prime (ony Metroid game I've played), and I was thinking of crafting a helmet with a few invocations on them (Devil's Sight, See the Unseen, and maybe All-Seeing Eyes). Something like them being active 24/7 (like most warlock buffs are) but needing a swift action to switch between each of them.

I do realize I could just play a warlock, but while the class could work as a basis for Samus, I don't think it has much to offer other than a a few specific invocations.

That, and I was curious to see what the Payground thought of possible invocation-base items.

I have a link to a Metroid-Incarnum homebrew thing from these forums, if you are interested. If I am remembering correctly. I think I am.

Valwyn
2015-06-19, 10:10 PM
I know nothing about Icarnum and I usually prefer to avoid homebrew, but sure. :smallsmile: I mean, I probably won't use it, but it's always nice to read about other people's ideas.

Urpriest
2015-06-20, 09:42 AM
The skill buff invocations won't work, regardless, since skill boosts default to their own pricing formula. (This is also one of the reasons why items of True Strike don't work.)

If you're going for a custom wondrous item, remember that wondrous items only care about spells for price estimates and crafting requirements. Similar estimates should work for warlock invocations, and IIRC there already are items that require certain warlock class features to craft, so your DM could definitely homebrew an item "based on" warlock invocations.