PDA

View Full Version : Its My Birthday, Recommend Me A Videogame Please!

Lord Raziere
2015-06-19, 06:17 PM
Hello. today is my birthday, and I like videogames, but I am at a loss at what to get these days. I tend to go for RPG games, but have also gone for action and played the occasional shooter. to get a better idea, here is all the games I remember playing and liking:

Chrono Trigger
The main Pokemon games
Xenoblade Chronicles
Halo games
Dragonball Xenoverse
Ashura's Wrath
KOTOR games
Dragon Age games
Mass effect 1-2
Skyrim (didn't like Oblivion or Morrowind though)
Tales of Symphonia (both games)
The Paper Mario Games
All Super Smash Bros
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Games
The World Ends With You
The Force Unleashed
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

those are all the games I can remember off the top of my head, and I want you to recommend me some games I could check out, preferably of the current times sort, but here are the technical limitations: I have a nintendo 3ds, an xbox 360 and normal Wii, while my computer is a Mac.

I prefer it if you work within these limitations of course. I would love to say, play a lot of games available to the PC like The Old Republic mmo, but I'm afraid getting a new computer is not in the cards.

and Thanks for the future recommendations! :smallsmile:

danzibr
2015-06-19, 06:21 PM
Earthbound on the virtual console.

Dienekes
2015-06-19, 06:22 PM
You seem to like RPGs, the Witcher series is generally highly regarded in that genre. Same with some classics like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment.

Grinner
2015-06-19, 06:34 PM
You seem to like RPGs, the Witcher series is generally highly regarded in that genre. Same with some classics like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment.

The first two games in the Witcher series are on sale right now. Could pick those up and still have money leftover for something else.

I unfortunately have none of those consoles, so I can't really make any recommendations of my own.

Lord Raziere
2015-06-19, 06:53 PM
Ah, the Witcher. sounds good. I'll check those out, if there are no other recommendations...

Grinner
2015-06-19, 07:11 PM
Ah, the Witcher. sounds good. I'll check those out, if there are no other recommendations...

Wait! I've got it!

Geneforge. Incidentally, also on sale at GOG.com. Probably Steam too.

Zevox
2015-06-19, 07:13 PM
You like Paper Mario and have a 3DS; have you played the Mario & Luigi series? Gameplay-wise it's pretty reminiscent of the first two Paper Mario titles, but it's generally sillier, and does some more over-the-top things with the story and your abilities. There are three you could get: Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story are regular DS games, while Dream Team is a 3DS title. I don't remember much about Partners in Time since it's been quite a while since I played it, but Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team are both quite fun, if pretty easy, and I do remember liking Partners in Time too. Plus it'd be good to try the series out if you haven't since Nintendo just announced a crossover of the two series that'll be coming to the 3DS next year: Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.

There is also a 3DS remake of Tales of the Abyss out there, since you like the Tales series, but I don't know how easy that would be to get ahold of at this point.

Also, general DS/3DS RPG recommendations:
- Fire Emblem: Awakening, one of the best reasons to own a 3DS.
- The Dragon Quest series, very old-school JRPGs (the series actually pre-dates Final Fantasy). Games 4-6 have DS remakes, and 9 is a DS game. (Technically there's a 3DS remake of 7 as well, but that's Japan-only. There's an upcoming 3DS remake of 8, which is my personal favorite, so I'm hoping that'll see release internationally).
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor series. There's two games, each with a DS original and expanded 3DS version. They're a mix of traditional RPG and strategy RPG combat, with stories involving demonic invasion and apocalyptic scenarios. Dark, but well-written - second only to the Persona series among the SMT games I'd say. Also, you get to train demons like Pokèmon.
- Radiant Historia, a JRPG heavily involving time-travel. You actually switch between two different timelines created by a decision at the start of the game in order to advance the plot by learning things in one time and taking that information to the other - though there's also strange instances where having something happen in one timeline somehow affects the other. Time-travel even sort of plays into the combat mechanics, where you're given abilities that let you alter the order in which turns happen.
- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) and 4 (3DS). Dungeon-crawler JRPGs, also rather dark and involving a lot of demon fighting. Not as good as the Devil Survivor games, but worth trying if you like dungeon-crawlers.

If you'd played the Persona series I'd strongly recommend Persona Q as well, but it's best not to play that until after playing both Persona 3 and 4, which are both PS2 games (with PSP and Vita versions for their handheld releases respectively), so I'm guessing you don't have any way to do that.

JohnTheSavage
2015-06-20, 10:04 AM
Since you've got a few Bioware titles up there, I'm going to give Jade Empire a wholehearted recommendation. It's a fantastic old RPG set in a fantasy imperial China featuring kung fu fighting, magnificent flying machines and John Cleese as a stranded European-style explorer. The combat system is more action oriented than say, KOTOR, revolving around the purchase and discovery of new martial arts styles and such rather than weapons, armor and other equipables. Writing's top notch, but Bioware doesn't really get points for that anymore.

Happy Birthday!

Lord Raziere
2015-06-20, 11:39 AM
oh right I forgot to mention that I HAVE played Jade Empire as well...I just don't have it anymore and forgot I did. thats why I I tried to remember as much as I could before posting this, otherwise I would get a lot of recommendations that are repeats of things I've already played. sorry. maybe if they ever send out a remake kind of thing for it...

@ Zevox: oh a lot of recommendations there. I'll have to remember your post in particular.

JohnTheSavage
2015-06-20, 11:53 AM
Ah. Then I'll leave a replacement recommendation for The Banner Saga. Isometric turn-based strategy RPG. Beautiful, well-written game about leading your village in running away from the fantasy Nordic apocalypse. Gameplay's challenging and sometimes it sucks when a character you poured a ton of xp and money into dies in a (really well executed) story section but apart from that it's absolutely brilliant.

Hunter Noventa
2015-06-22, 02:50 PM
I'll certainly second Fire Emblem : Awakening, it's pretty brilliant.

enderlord99
2015-06-24, 03:00 AM
I agree with Zevox's first paragraph. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Wookieetank
2015-06-24, 01:09 PM
Also, general DS/3DS RPG recommendations:
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor series. There's two games, each with a DS original and expanded 3DS version. They're a mix of traditional RPG and strategy RPG combat, with stories involving demonic invasion and apocalyptic scenarios. Dark, but well-written - second only to the Persona series among the SMT games I'd say. Also, you get to train demons like Pokèmon.
- Radiant Historia, a JRPG heavily involving time-travel. You actually switch between two different timelines created by a decision at the start of the game in order to advance the plot by learning things in one time and taking that information to the other - though there's also strange instances where having something happen in one timeline somehow affects the other. Time-travel even sort of plays into the combat mechanics, where you're given abilities that let you alter the order in which turns happen.
- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) and 4 (3DS). Dungeon-crawler JRPGs, also rather dark and involving a lot of demon fighting. Not as good as the Devil Survivor games, but worth trying if you like dungeon-crawlers.

A very emphatic second to these.

OrcusMcP
2015-06-25, 02:52 PM
A little different, but I'm going to recommend Crusader Kings 2. Superficially, it looks like a strategy game, and while it is that, it's far more of a role-playing game. You're not playing as a country, you're playing a person who owns feudal lands. It has a somewhat steep learning curve, but there is a lot of cool game there.

There's a lot of DLC, the majority of which you don't need right out of the gate, but if you do get the game I will recommend getting Sons of Abraham and Way Of Life before long.

Triaxx
2015-06-25, 10:16 PM
I'm going to go against the grain a bit here, and recommend Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It's more of a top down arcade game, something of a cross between Diablo and Gauntlet. It's not an RPG exactly, but it's still incredibly fun. I believe it even has two-player co-op, though it's been a while. It's available on the Gamecube, but the Wii runs GC games just fine.

Wookieetank
2015-06-26, 07:52 AM
I'm going to go against the grain a bit here, and recommend Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It's more of a top down arcade game, something of a cross between Diablo and Gauntlet. It's not an RPG exactly, but it's still incredibly fun. I believe it even has two-player co-op, though it's been a while. It's available on the Gamecube, but the Wii runs GC games just fine.

I only ever played this on the PS2 myself, it does make for a great deal of fun though. I'd say it falls firmly into the ARPG realm, particularly as the archer. So many arrows on screen at once, it was glorious (beholders are still rat bastards though).

Triaxx
2015-06-29, 11:35 AM
There is no scenario in which they are not.

Knaight
2015-06-29, 12:00 PM
If you're good with games with puzzle elements, I could see you enjoying the DROD series. If it's still on sale on GoG, it's about two bucks for the first three games in a bundle, though I suspect you might prefer Tendry's Tale. All are on Mac. They're a bit outside of the range you listed, but they're also esoteric games without much like them that are really, really good. Plus, if you don't like them, you're not exactly out a lot of money (and you can get the demos for free and try those first).

On the console, take a look at Baiten Kaitos. It's an excellent gamecube RPG (which will run on the Wii), it's by the same publisher as Xenoblade Chronicles. It's going to be a bit pricier though, by virtue of being out of production.

Merellis
2015-06-30, 07:40 AM
One series I can always recommend for someone that likes JRPG's is the Etrian Odyssey series!

You command a group of five individuals to traverse the mysterious labyrinth of the Yggdrasil, mapping and exploring your way deeper and deeper into it's secrets and dangers. Creatures are all over the place to fight, including ones that you need to navigate around if you want to survive.

Battle everything from death dolling deers to eldritch abominations that come from the abyss! Survive and thrive as these twisted creatures and the very labyrinth itself attempts to kill you!

And it's on both the DS and 3DS with a Mystery Dungeon spin-off! :smallbiggrin: