PDA

View Full Version : Did his shadow just drain 20 levels from me?

Corbert
2007-04-26, 04:38 PM
I posted this spell on ENWorld and never got any feedback, so I'll try here. Please let me know, is this spell too powerful? Should it be epic? Is it just too cheesy for words? Feedback people c'mon :smallbiggrin: I don't think I've seen a spell like this anywhere else. This is a spell I decided to give to a couple of important NPCs in my campaign. The cleric has a set of goggles from Libris Mortis that let him see if something is alive, undead, dead, or a construct, and I want to see the look on the players face when he finds all the undead hiding in the NPCs shadows. I'm using the alternate rules for turning undead where a turning attempt does 1d6 damage per level to all undead within 30', so imagine his surprise at how little damage he will do them if he tries to turn.

Shadow of Undeath
[Necromancy]
Level Sor/Wiz 8
Range: close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Duration: instantaneous
Target: one incorporeal undead
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell resistance: yes

You bind a number of incorporeal undead equal to twice your caster level to your shadow and can make them fight for you. HD limits as per the Animate Dead spell still apply, IE 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level. All bound undead must be of the same type. Once bound, the undead inhabit and control the shadow and can move it contrary to any light source up to 10’ per level of the caster, but the caster can order them to act like a normal shadow. Even if turned the bound undead must stay with 10 feet per level of the caster. No matter the number of light sources the caster only casts a single shadow.

The bound undead can be made to fight for the caster, and perform any function they can normally do at the order of the caster.

Successive castings of this spell on a new undead type will release all current undead bound to your shadow, with the released undead most likely hostile. The spell allows telepathic communication with the bound undead, but the caster can choose to cut communication at will. The caster is immune to all special and supernatural abilities of the bound undead. This is especially important in the case of a bound Allip as mental contact with one can cause the loss of Wisdom.

The most powerful aspect of this spell is that at the casters option he can choose not to affect the bound undead with any spells he casts of 7th level of lower. So if the caster should cast Fireball on an enemy engaged in battle with his bound undead he could choose to affect only the enemy.

Bound undead get a turn resistance of +1 per 3 level of the caster in addition to any turn resistance they may already have. Bound undead count towards the limit of undead a caster may control.

Corbert
2007-04-29, 01:11 PM
Shameless BUMP

What, 3 days still no feedback? :smallannoyed: :smallsigh:

Moribundus
2007-04-29, 02:10 PM
I'm not one to really comment about balance...
but I like it!
it looks fine

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-29, 08:46 PM
um... it really depends on what type of undead. you could have 16 20th level ghosts, or 16 allips. It should be HD, not # of undead.

Corbert
2007-04-30, 04:32 PM
um... it really depends on what type of undead. you could have 16 20th level ghosts, or 16 allips. It should be HD, not # of undead.

Hmmm, thought I had covered that.

You bind a number of incorporeal undead equal to twice your caster level

Oops, you're right, that is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Fixed in original post.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-30, 06:07 PM
Yay, i was helpful!

Corbert
2007-04-30, 09:02 PM
Yay, i was helpful!

Yes you were :smallsmile:

I guess I assumed people would remember about the HD limit, but the spell didn't mention it. :smallredface:

Black Mage
2007-04-30, 10:28 PM
I guess I assumed people would remember about the HD limit, but the spell didn't mention it.
If it's not mentioned in the spell, no matter what common sense may dictate, it will be exploited. So yeah, it's a good thing you fixed that.

The spell looks good ^_^

s.donahue
2007-04-30, 11:09 PM
I think it's a cool idea. I like the idea of some nefarious villain's shadow sneaking off on it's own and attacking the PCs. Very creative.

Zeta Kai
2007-04-30, 11:34 PM
If it's not mentioned in the spell, no matter what common sense may dictate, it will be exploited.

You speak the truth there. Homebrewing teaches you to write like a lawyer, in case a player tries to exploit a loophole in the rules. Does it defy the laws of physics, common sense, the spirit of the rule, & all decency? Yes. Does it go against the precise wording of the rule? No. LET'S DO IT!!!