PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder My peculiar DM and his new campaign idea. Random Parents gone odd.

Nishant
2015-06-19, 08:24 PM
So, without getting into too much detail, we're cracking into Pathfinder. My DM likes making things interesting, and for giggles, he put up a system where we roll the parent races of our characters, rolling off of tables that branched into others. Most of the players got somewhat normal race combinations, someone managed to get a pure human, and me? I got Undine and Efreeti. So now I've got quite a few issues. my DM recommended here for this particular situation.

So, the questions are;

1. Can an Undine and Efreeti even breed successfully? They are opposites on the spectrum. I suppose they are both outsiders, but that's a huge well, and so are Tieflings and Aasimar, and I haven't heard of that union before..

2. If they can, How would we distribute stats or powers? Rather than getting into specifics, guidelines would probably be best. the best I got would be 'steam' and scalding, outside water breathing.

If I have to reroll, I have to, but I admit this could be an interesting character to play as.. Interesting role play opportunities.

Platymus Pus
2015-06-19, 08:41 PM
I think they can mate well enough, they just die in the process while the child is born. A union or sorts.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-19, 08:43 PM
I believe a pair of smokin' hot babes in a steamy relationship can raise a child just fine.

Nishant
2015-06-19, 08:52 PM
I believe a pair of smokin' hot babes in a steamy relationship can raise a child just fine.

Should have seen that coming XD

What would you suggest for 'steamy' powers?

atemu1234
2015-06-19, 09:44 PM

I'm debating which I'm disturbed by; the pun or the implications.

Though yes, they can.

IZ42
2015-06-19, 10:54 PM

Probably obscuring mist as an SLA, a bonus to DEX and a penalty to CON or STR, no clue what the other stat bonus would be. Fire and Cold resist 5, and the ability to take undine and efreeti racial feats or something like that. Or just call it a Sylph and be done with it.

Hrugner
2015-06-20, 12:21 AM
You could probably just use Sylph as a base for your steam blooded human.

Red Fel
2015-06-20, 08:57 AM
1. Can an Undine and Efreeti even breed successfully? They are opposites on the spectrum. I suppose they are both outsiders, but that's a huge well, and so are Tieflings and Aasimar, and I haven't heard of that union before..

Probably. Undine and Ifrits (I assume you meant Ifrits, and not Efreeti; there are some bigger complications if your parent is a proper Outsider) are both Native Outsiders. In other words, they are more of the Material Plane than the Elemental Planes, and as such their bodies function... You know. As bodies do. The bigger question is whether the extraplanar nature of their blood can mingle, but eh, fantasy role-playing game. Go for it.

2. If they can, How would we distribute stats or powers? Rather than getting into specifics, guidelines would probably be best. the best I got would be 'steam' and scalding, outside water breathing.

My advice? Take after one parent, with tendencies of the other. That is, use either an Undine or Ifrit base, but ask to be allowed the racial benefits (e.g. access to racial traits, feats, and ACFs) of the other. Then do so. For example, an Undine Immolator with Blazing Aura might be interesting, or an Ifrit Watersinger.

Another option is to net their stats and trim off the excess. Consider that Undines get +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str, and Ifrits get +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis. Slap them together, that's +4 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str; trim off the extra Dex and it's +2/+2/-2, a fairly standard array.

Now, if you meant an actual Efreet, instead of an Ifrit, that gets easier, in my mind. Grab an Undine, swap out the Wis bonus for a Cha bonus, go with an Efreeti Bloodline Sorcerer. Ask to swap out the Undine SLA for the Ifrit Efreeti Magic alternate racial trait, and to swap out the Water Affinity trait for a variant of the Ifrit Fire Affinity trait that uses the Efreeti Bloodline instead of the Fire Bloodline. You're not actually gaining anything major at that point - it's all equivalent trades (mental bonus for mental bonus, SLA for SLA, bloodline bonus for bloodline bonus).

Alternatively, use a watered-down version of the Flame-Spawned Creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/flame-spawned-creature-cr-varies-tohc) template. No type change, no CR adjustment, no ability bonuses. Add Fire Resistance (equal to your Undine Cold Resistance), a fire aura, and the ability to deal fire damage with natural weapons. Simple. Perhaps add the Molten Swim ability from the Fire Creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/fire-creature-cr-2) template.

Strormer
2015-06-20, 09:58 AM
Why not try a modified Suli? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-suli)

Use the default Suli, but make the Resistances and Elemental Assault only cold and fire. You don't have any of the earth or air powers at that point, so yeah.

If it was me, I'd also ask to replace negotiator with a continuous endure elements, or a bonus at least, to represent your equal ability to deal with cold or hot environments.

IZ42
2015-06-20, 11:46 AM
Why not try a modified Suli? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-suli)

Use the default Suli, but make the Resistances and Elemental Assault only cold and fire. You don't have any of the earth or air powers at that point, so yeah.

If it was me, I'd also ask to replace negotiator with a continuous endure elements, or a bonus at least, to represent your equal ability to deal with cold or hot environments.
Ooh, better yet, they have continuous endure elements, but in Hot Environments their fire resist increases by 5 and cold resistance decreases by 5, and in Cold, it's the opposite, and in Temperate climates, they're both 5.

Urpriest
2015-06-20, 11:50 AM
I don't know if PF changed this, but in 3.5 Planetouched show up sometimes if the outsider/elemental heritage is particularly prominent. They don't breed true with any reliability. Two Aasimar could have a child who is also an Aasimar, but the child could also just be human. So a child of an Undine and an Ifrit would be either an Undine, an Ifrit, or more likely just a normal human.

IZ42
2015-06-20, 12:07 PM
I don't know if PF changed this, but in 3.5 Planetouched show up sometimes if the outsider/elemental heritage is particularly prominent. They don't breed true with any reliability. Two Aasimar could have a child who is also an Aasimar, but the child could also just be human. So a child of an Undine and an Ifrit would be either an Undine, an Ifrit, or more likely just a normal human.

Shhhhhhh... we don't need any of those silly logical conclusions :smallwink:

Karl Aegis
2015-06-20, 12:40 PM

I think you should go in the opposite direction, personally. Be a Defrosting Ice Queen. Consume an excessive amount of salt. Because you won the genetic lottery, your taste buds for salt aren't on your tongue, they're on the outside of your face cheeks. Your cheeks are also the primary way you absorb salt. If you see someone crying get up close and personal. You want that salt more than they do.

You get these effects of Prestidigitation:
It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material.
Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial.

Except for flavoring you can only use salty flavors and the objects are made of salt water crystals. At least two fingertips have to be in contact to use this ability. You can use these effects as long as you have enough salt.

I think it would be cool if you had a frozen heart ability, as well. If a critical confirm roll fails by 5 or more they bounce off your frozen heart, dealing a percentage of the damage that would have been dealt to you to the weapon that attacked you. Heartwarming or romantic decrease the percentage of damage dealt while betrayal and other events that would chill a person's heart increase the percentage. True love's first kiss deactivates this ability until such events transpire that you would want to tear your own heart out and freeze it.

I can give you a description of your mothers if you want me to.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-02, 04:24 PM
There is an entire 3rd party source book for this. But we generally pretend it doesn't exist. :smallwink:

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-02, 04:31 PM
There is an entire 3rd party source book for this. But we generally pretend it doesn't exist. :smallwink:

Until someone wants a caster build, and 3rd party sources are allowed. At that point it's just irresponsible not to point to the Metaphysical Shaper, among the most powerful PrCs ever printed.