PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice on Master Summoner Spell List

5w337x7007h
2015-06-19, 09:34 PM
I'm building a Master Summoner for Pathfinder and I need some advice on spells I should choose. My aim is to summon one to two powerful monsters and play support battlefield control, while my Eidolon plays wand buddy.

I've chosen some spells, but the list isn't final. I'm looking for advice because I tend to pick up spells that fit a situation instead of more practical choices. I'm going off a recommended list that I found on a forum, so please do let me know if I should swap any spells out.

0 - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Guidance, Message, Mending, Mage Hand
1 - Grease, Shield, Protection from Evil, Enlarge Person, Reduce Person,
2 - Haste, Invisibility, Slow, Detect Thoughts, Glitterdust
3 - Dispel Magic, Spiked Pit, Dimension Door, Fly
4 - Wall of Stone, Mass Bull Strength

skypse
2015-06-20, 05:26 AM
Well the spell list looks good. You can't really mess up defensive and buff spells. I would most probably change the Wall of Stone for maybe Black Tentacles and then focus on summoning stuff with very high CMD against grapple.

5w337x7007h
2015-06-20, 07:57 AM
I'm new to summoning, and I don't want to overshadow my group, so I'm trying to minimize it to one or two summoned monsters that I and my Eidolon support.

Also, Black Tentacles is a 3rd level spell, Wall of Stone is 4th, and this is Rise of the Runelords. I could swap it for Spiked Pit though. The idea is the same, hold an enemy from advancing, but I couldn't wall over the top and seal them inside it.

Also, I need help on picking out monsters from the summon monster spell list, I've got the Summon Evil Monster feat, and I'm trying to pick out tanks to front-line for the party.

Spore
2015-06-20, 08:43 AM
I'd change Detect Thoughts for Lesser Evolution Surge. You can see the flexibility if you only open the 1 and 2 point evolutions. Questitem falling into the lava? Get Fire immunity and retrieve it. Enemy casting invisbility? Get scent (and hopefully have Skilled (Perception)) and find that guy. Eidolon's wings are constricted? Get another 2 points in Flight and have magical flight. In addition to that I've used Detect Thoughts once (and if you do it obviously, someone is BOUND to make the Spellcraft check OR the save and you are in deep trouble).

Mass Bull's Strength's usefulness entirely depends on your group (and chosen summon). I feel a Teleport spell outweighs the utility here.

Be sure to get Resist Energy some time in the future (or even the communal variant) for having on demand resistance for your whole group is great.

Also I am no fan of the pit spells as my DMs tend to use flying enemies often. They also tend to use evil monsters so I prefer Magic Circle against Evil (yes, Protection from Evil is sufficient IF the spell doesn't run out during the adventure).

5w337x7007h
2015-06-20, 09:04 AM
My problem is that I want to play a NE character. I want to tank and support, and I was given three options, Master Summoner, Synthesist, or a basic Summoner.

I like the idea of expendable summoned monsters, but I'm extremely out of sorts on the idea. I thought it would work, but now I'm feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I mean, I've got all the bestiaries, but I have to share them with my GM. Now I'm feelin' like I should go for a simpler plan, and head towards the Unchained Summoner with a big beefy Eidolon that'll crush the opposition.