PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales How does your group handle snacks?

Feddlefew
2015-06-19, 11:47 PM
There may have been a thread for this at one point, but I'm not digging it up.

I always bring a baked good of some sort, usually home made but sometimes I pick up a package of nice cookies from the store if I don't have time for whatever reason. I promised I'd bring honey olive oil french bread to the game this week. I spent ~5 hours making bread.... only to leave the loaf of bread on the counter while I did pre-game prep, where it was promptly devoured by hungry family members. They ignored the sticky note, but I really should start hiding the things because this happens about half of the time.

This is where a normal person would give up. However, I am a crazy determined person who doesn't like to break promises, so I waited until my family went to sleep before starting the second loaf. It is now 12:40 am, and my bread is just starting bulk fermentation.

In short, I'm not getting any sleep tonight. And neither is anyone else. :smallannoyed:

YossarianLives
2015-06-20, 12:38 AM
As a fellow baker, I admire your perseverance.

Feddlefew
2015-06-20, 12:50 AM
Doing it by hand, too, since our standing mixer is a POS. :smallfrown:

The Evil DM
2015-06-20, 01:11 AM
I host in my house. Every time I host I plan a full meal - we usually play noon to midnight on a Saturday so an hour to 90 minute break for dinner is warranted.

Most of the time, the meal is prepped prior to game start, and when the players are role playing amongst themselves to figure a course of action I eavesdrop from the kitchen and answer questions as they need.

Meals vary, anything from several racks of baby back ribs in bourbon, pulled pork, guacamole and tortillas, to scratch made potato leek soup or a 4 inch deep lasagna.

Usually the players bring a few things to go with it all, bread, chips, dip, sodas, energy drinks, and whatever suits their fancy.

Sometimes, if the game's session is taking place during one of the setting festivals I will make foods using only ingredients as defined to be local to the setting. In many cases the food has a very simple agrarian society feel because the setting has fewer spices and no refined sugars. One of the players even made home made mead for one of these feasts.

LokiRagnarok
2015-06-20, 04:10 AM
We usually play in a... I guess you could call it lounge of a student club we have access to. So usually everyone brings some chips or whatever they like, maybe some cake or whatever. Soda is readily available from the fridge in the room.

Feddlefew
2015-06-20, 05:44 AM
I host in my house. Every time I host I plan a full meal - we usually play noon to midnight on a Saturday so an hour to 90 minute break for dinner is warranted.

Most of the time, the meal is prepped prior to game start, and when the players are role playing amongst themselves to figure a course of action I eavesdrop from the kitchen and answer questions as they need.

Meals vary, anything from several racks of baby back ribs in bourbon, pulled pork, guacamole and tortillas, to scratch made potato leek soup or a 4 inch deep lasagna.

Usually the players bring a few things to go with it all, bread, chips, dip, sodas, energy drinks, and whatever suits their fancy.

Sometimes, if the game's session is taking place during one of the setting festivals I will make foods using only ingredients as defined to be local to the setting. In many cases the food has a very simple agrarian society feel because the setting has fewer spices and no refined sugars. One of the players even made home made mead for one of these feasts.

We're trying a potluck thingy this week- I think the host said they were going to make some burgers, and another player sent a vaguely ominous text along the lines of "Is everyone okay with pepperonis, bacon, and sausages?"

Edit: I finished baking the bread at around 5:30. I should have used butter instead of olive oil to grease the pan and baste the top of the loaf, but the olive oil was closer..... It's crustier than the first bread was, but didn't rise as much in the oven. It also kind of fried on the bottom and edges because of the pan I used.

Ralanr
2015-06-20, 06:40 AM
On rare occasions (once a semester) my group does "dinner" with d&d. One guy cooks steak, I drive to the market (with said guy) to purchase steak and things like lemonade or chips. The DM has bowls for snacks.

Sadly we don't set up snacks often due to difficulties in setting up sessions. The DM does a great job in providing beverages, (she asks and there is usually something in the fridge). Hopefully with our new set "D&D" day we can cover snacks more. I'll probably try to bring something. Hopefully I won't eat all of it cause sadly that's the kind of person I am.

We have ended many a session with the munchies.

Phoenixguard09
2015-06-20, 09:32 AM
We play at my house, usually between 9am and 5pm these days, with a break for lunch.

There's a bakery just down the road and a fish and chip store just a little further, so usually the players bring $5-10 for food and whatever drinks they feel like. We do have a blanket ban on alcohol while playing. That started because when we began only myself and Dev could drink legally. Now only LD can't, but we still have the rule.

We usually have some snacks, most often provided by myself or Ladyhawk sitting on the middle of the table. We then take a break approximately halfway through for lunch.

I do intend to do up a feast at some point, much like what has been described here already, but I can really only cook Mexican. So I need to get my players to make their way to the equivalent of central America.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-20, 10:51 AM
Different groups, different styles. One group usually orders pizza. Another group tends to be BYOS (with some sharing, 'cause we're not *****). My ex and I would have everyone over at our apartment and make a meal... sometimes something easy like spaghetti, sometimes something more involved like a complete turkey dinner (usually if we could get them to chip in some cash).

Incidentally, Masterkerfuffle? I read your sig as your response to "How does your group handle snacks". :smallbiggrin:

Pex
2015-06-20, 11:56 AM
We start play at 2 pm. Everyone either ate lunch beforehand or brings it along and eat at game start. Anyone may bring snacks open for everyone if they want. No obligation to bring snacks of your own, but generally everyone does. If for some reason one game session you don't no one notices or cares. We order dinner and the check, with tip, is divided evenly but if someone ordered something that is significantly lower in price it's ok if he puts in a dollar less. Occasionally someone brings their own dinner, which is ok by us.

BWR
2015-06-20, 12:15 PM
Generally people bring what they want and share (or not) as they wish. Chips of various sorts and cheesy poofs tend to be the most popular, but some chocolate pops up. As the hosts for something like 95% of the time, we try to have something available for guests, usually fruit, always coffee. Every now and then my gf will make cinnamon buns, and a couple of times a year we'll make cakes or pies.

Dinner tends to be pizza, either frozen or from the local shop (or if we don't want pizza, kebabs or burritos or hamburgers or lapskaus, etc.), though what with changes in life style, pizza has gone from a once per session thing to a couple of times a year thing for both of my groups. On a few occasions we take breaks and make dinner, but this usually coincides with visiting cabins/summer houses or having house guests - we don't want to waste valuable play time on cooking. Any food that's ordered is paid for by whoever eats it - no sponsoring other people's food, though pizzas are usually paid equally and eaten equally until people have had their fill and whatever is left goes to whoever wants it.

oxybe
2015-06-20, 12:42 PM
occasionally we go eat before the session or order a pizza, but we game at the FLGS so snacks are either chips off the rack or timbits/doughnuts bought at the Tim's around the corner.

Arbane
2015-06-20, 01:27 PM
My current group plays at one guy's house, and usually either he cooks something or we order food. Last week it was sandwiches, week before that was pizza, and he's threatening to make casserole this week. Usually folks bring various snacks anyway - I usually bring cookies.

prufock
2015-06-20, 02:52 PM
Usually we bring our own snacks, but everyone shares. We usually play 4-6 hour sessions, so real meals aren't always necessary. Once in a while we'll do something special like barbecue, pizza, etc.

TurboGhast
2015-06-20, 05:09 PM
The groups I have been in either haven't had snacks, or snacks were gotten individually in the game shop we played at. Occasionally people brought cookies.

legomaster00156
2015-06-20, 05:29 PM
When I played at the game store, we had Popeye's and Moe's nearby, so we grabbed some food there for lunch. When I played at friends' houses, they provided lunch or dinner. When I played at my house, I provided dinner. Now I just play over Skype, so it's a moot point.

Kane0
2015-06-20, 05:58 PM
We used to just bring whatever, but now everyone has fallen into a recognisable pattern. We have the drinks guy, the chips & dip guy and the two confectionary guys. We break and head down the street for lunch/dinner and to stretch our legs.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-20, 08:54 PM
My group plays at the FLGS from 12 to 20, the store itself has a stock of Chips, cookies and other sweets, there is also a McDonalds right next to it and a Pizzeria across the street so we usually do a 30-40 minute break to get dinner.

Steampunkette
2015-06-20, 09:02 PM

So, uh...

Can I join your group?

The Evil DM
2015-06-20, 10:44 PM
So, uh...

Can I join your group?

If you happen to be in the Tucson Arizona area send me a PM. We have two groups that meet, one is mostly teenagers and the second mostly adults.

Steampunkette
2015-06-20, 11:13 PM
In April I moved from Phoenix to Wisconsin... so... not really an option!

Ralanr
2015-06-20, 11:26 PM
So many good things in Arizona!

The Evil DM
2015-06-21, 01:02 AM
In April I moved from Phoenix to Wisconsin... so... not really an option!

Arizona for Wisconsin....

I did Oregon for Arizona 11 years ago. Wouldn't trade for Wisconsin. The only thing of note from Wisconsin is cheese and Oregon has better cheese :)

Steampunkette
2015-06-21, 01:27 AM
I started in Georgia for 18 years, went to Kentucky for two, hit up Florida for five, then back to Georgia for 1, headed off to Thailand for a month, went to Colorado for a week or two, then to Wisconsin for 6 years, Arizona for 1, and came back to Wisconsin.

Life is strange.

Kol Korran
2015-06-21, 08:46 AM
3 out of our 5 members are Vegan, and the other 2 don't eat much meat. We all try to be conscious and eat healthy in our normal lives, but when we come to game we actually prefer snacks and such. We let loose with the junk food and so on... :smallbiggrin:

There are 3 side treks though:
- One guy's family like to experiment with baking, and he sometimes brings cookies, cakes and sometime freshly squeezed juices and such from fruit plantations near his house.
- One of the guys knows all kind of spicy food stores from... I really don't know where. He keeps bringing all kind of surprises, which are at times good, at times weird, but very rarely bad. Always a strange taste experience. He has some... odd tastes.
- A tradition we have is a Humus break (We know some good places). At some3 point in mid session, when there was some tension resolved, we spread the table and spread it. It's a traditional thing I guess, but as a DM who is very involved and energized, I feel it is a very much needed break, and energizes me much.

I've started cooking recently, but not good enough to share yet. Hopefully in the future...

Ralanr
2015-06-21, 11:39 AM
I started in Georgia for 18 years, went to Kentucky for two, hit up Florida for five, then back to Georgia for 1, headed off to Thailand for a month, went to Colorado for a week or two, then to Wisconsin for 6 years, Arizona for 1, and came back to Wisconsin.

Life is strange.

I'm still in Kentucky for a few years. Thinking about heading to Minasota at some point.

Elvenoutrider
2015-06-21, 11:41 AM
I offer bonus xp for anyone who brings food. If we are hungry we all throw in for pizza. We take a video game break while someone picks it up. The break helps keep people focused on the game for longer

The Bandicoot
2015-06-21, 12:03 PM
I've got two regular groups. Each one we usually bring our own snacks and soda. One is right down the street from a couple of fast food places so we usually take a half hour break to run down there. The other one is so far out in the boonies only a couple places deliver out there so we order from one of those places about midway through the game.

Socksy
2015-06-21, 01:19 PM
Different groups, different styles. One group usually orders pizza. Another group tends to be BYOS (with some sharing, 'cause we're not *****). My ex and I would have everyone over at our apartment and make a meal... sometimes something easy like spaghetti, sometimes something more involved like a complete turkey dinner (usually if we could get them to chip in some cash).

Incidentally, Masterkerfuffle? I read your sig as your response to "How does your group handle snacks". :smallbiggrin:

*scrolls up*
*laughs loudly*

My group went to get burger king/snacks from the co-op before the game, since most of the guys lived in the same house we played there, and since it was in town, it was easy to get our own food on a shopping trip before we started :3

LibraryOgre
2015-06-21, 04:04 PM
I'll also add that handling snacks has changed as we've gotten older. In High School, it was all Mountain Dew, Taco Bell and Papa Johns. Nowadays? The snack that's gonna get destroyed is the grapes.

Ralanr
2015-06-21, 05:49 PM
I offer bonus xp for anyone who brings food. If we are hungry we all throw in for pizza. We take a video game break while someone picks it up. The break helps keep people focused on the game for longer

How much extra exp we talkin?

SowZ
2015-06-21, 09:19 PM
I read this as, "How does your group handle sneak attacks" and was curious because the rules seem fairly straight forward except in a few edge cases.

goto124
2015-06-21, 11:45 PM
You throw potato crisps and gummy bears at the target of your sneak attack, of course.

Also a safer alternative to tossing books and dice at DMs and rules-lawyers, though it may leave a bit of a mess.

hifidelity2
2015-06-22, 07:03 AM
I have two different groups

One is in the evenings and its held in a pub – so its stuff from the bar – we cant bring our own stuff in but we do get the rooms for free

The other one is generally weekend long games held a couple of times a year at one of our houses. It’s a matter of pride for the person who’s house it is to produce something good – The “homeowner” decides what we are having and then all the others pay for the ingredients. Each person brings their own alcohol

So last time at mine its was
Fri night – Pizza
Sat – Light Breakfast, left over pizza for lunch and rare Rib of Beef plus trimmings for supper
Sun – Full Sunday brunch

Crisps (or chips to my American Cousins) and biscuits during the day

GreatDane
2015-06-22, 11:15 AM
My group cooks dinner every week. We all contribute to a group fund, which can be used by anyone to buy supplies. People who won't/can't cook contribute more to the group fund; the person who usually does most of the cooking doesn't pay for much.

We try to stay creative with our meals. Here's what we had for the last few sessions:

Inn fare (bread, grape juice, beef stew)
Chicken cordon bleu with rice pilaf
Home-made burgers

Airon
2015-06-22, 11:44 AM
We play a couple of times a month, mid-afternoon to midnight on a Saturday or Sunday. We take turns hosting, and usually at least half the players brings some snack: fresh fruit and dried nuts, home-made cookies, orange squeeze, etc... we all like to eat fairly healthy and avoid chips or sodas.

For dinner we either order a pizza or make a home-made dish that can be prepared in advance, like cous cous or pasta salad.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-22, 04:06 PM
Most groups I gave been a part of have been after dinner deals, with people pitching in snacks and caffeine for the table as they can or are able to. Never really had issues with moochers.

Only exception was when we played at the FLGS...We really aren't supposed to bring in food, but regulars who are nice to staff and buy things (there is an informal rule to patronize the snacks and drinks there) we usually could smuggle in food if we cleaned up and didn't bother others. Wasn't as much of a rule to share, but getting even cheap Chinese for 6-10 people does add up. Factor in pickiness and dietary choices and it would have have been a nightmare.

Never really had a game and a show outside of a few times. I find the dinner breaks can be disruptive and messy if not planned out well. Not to mention, many picky eaters. A separate table for drinks and food works wonders however.

Reltzik
2015-06-23, 12:38 AM
All snacks must be incapable of causing harm when thrown, incapable of staining character sheets, books, clothes, or carpet, and easily vacuumed up.

goto124
2015-06-23, 02:53 AM
Rel, what snacks fall under that category of 'safe for throwing'?

Reltzik
2015-06-23, 09:23 PM
That's a good question. Every time we discover a new addition to the category, we have to eliminate one. :smallbiggrin: Jawbreakers are out. MnMs and Reeses Pieces are light enough not to hurt (much). Ooooooh, gummy bears and gummy worms would work.

Feddlefew
2015-06-23, 09:38 PM
That's a good question. Every time we discover a new addition to the category, we have to eliminate one. :smallbiggrin: Jawbreakers are out. MnMs and Reeses Pieces are light enough not to hurt (much). Ooooooh, gummy bears and gummy worms would work.

If you're of age, gummy shots are not throw-safe - they might be squishy, but they're absolutely HORRIBLE to get in your eye. Or so I've heard.

No, really, we could hear the screaming from halfway across the dorm complex. We thought someone had gotten stabbed. :smallfrown:

Reltzik
2015-06-23, 10:27 PM

:smalleek:

Okay, no gummy bears.

Feddlefew
2015-06-23, 11:15 PM

Okay, no gummy bears.

Just don't soak them in alcoholic beverages and you'll be fine!

Sir Chuckles
2015-06-24, 04:08 AM
My group is still young, so $5 ready anytime pizza and Dollar Tree off-brand soda is still the most common thing for us, though any chance I get I make sure to feed them something real. My pies and cookies win small contests, so they often enjoy that, though my tomato basil bread is well received.

I mean, there's still the dollar tree off-brand soda, but that's a given. As for real food, I tend to keep it simple but good. Never let anyone tell you that running two pounds of bacon through a grinder and mixing it with ground chuck for the grill is a bad idea. Because they'd be wrong.

Feddlefew
2015-06-24, 04:40 AM
As for real food, I tend to keep it simple but good. Never let anyone tell you that running two pounds of bacon through a grinder and mixing it with ground chuck for the grill is a bad idea. Because they'd be wrong.

50/50? And what kind of bacon?

caden_varn
2015-06-24, 06:02 AM
Maybe we need a new forum or thread for recipes in the playground? It si sort of chemistry, so we could put it in the technology forum? :smallwink:

We generally only have short sessions in the evening (rarely more than a couple of hours) due to other commitments, so people generally bring snacks for themselves if they desire which are generally offered around. A couple of us like baking, so there is cake around a fair bit (as I live on my own and like baking, I prefer to share my creations with work or friends so I don't end up too overweight).

I draw the line at staying up all night baking though. That is dedication above and beyond for me...

LibraryOgre
2015-06-24, 07:53 AM
Maybe we need a new forum or thread for recipes in the playground? It si sort of chemistry, so we could put it in the technology forum? :smallwink:

The Mod Wonder: If you want to start one, I'd check Arts & Crafts.

obryn
2015-06-24, 10:29 AM
I host, and my players all just bring snacks. Sharing is the default. I do the game prep and host, and they bring stuff to eat. Works out well. :smallsmile:

Reltzik
2015-06-24, 12:38 PM
Just don't soak them in alcoholic beverages and you'll be fine!

Okay, no gummy bears.

BiblioRook
2015-06-25, 08:05 PM
Since most of the time the people I play with don't bother with having miniatures on hand (whether we need them or not), more then once Ive resorted to using the snacks I bring as makeshift replacements. As a result an unofficial 'Eat what you kill' rule has often started to come into play.

Sir Chuckles
2015-06-26, 12:34 AM
50/50? And what kind of bacon?

Depends on the beef's %. Less bacon for 80/20, but ideally you go 50/50 with a 96/4 beef. Less flare up on the grill, but still ends up nice and juicy. Do a heavy dry seasoning on the outside to help make a good char. I also grind a clove or two of garlic into it, as well as some red onion.

Adjust the type of bacon to the seasonings. Less onion and more garlic for maple bacon, add black pepper and swap to white onion of smoked.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to open a tabletop recipes thread in arts and crafts.

Edit:
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424104-Tabletop-Recipe-Exchange)

Jay R
2015-06-26, 09:31 AM
A few years ago, the husband of one of my players was making sausages for the gaming table. On a whim, he started shaping the meat differently, and then put sticks in them.

That game, we all ate "rat on a stick".

Esprit15
2015-06-26, 12:37 PM
Whoever runs the game is not expected to do anything, while players generally bring one or two snack/drink items.