PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 1st Time with Spheres of Power

MesiDoomstalker
2015-06-20, 01:07 AM
My group decided to try a new game and the GM has allowed me to use Spheres of Power. I've decided to go with an Incantor with a focus on being as wide-ranged with my abilities as possible while remaining effective and competitive (I'm thinking of having about 1/3 of the spheres, but focusing on 2-4 spheres), without focusing on any one sphere too much. I'm trying to pin down what 3 Spheres to take at level 1 (I want at least one Talent to demonstrate how the system works to the group). I want to take at least Destruction to have a reliable offensive option (albeit boring and under-powered). I'm trying to absorb all the different Spheres, there talents and their base abilities, but its a little overwhelming. Any suggestions on what Spheres I should test drive first?

Eldaran
2015-06-20, 04:23 AM
Well, Conjuration is by far the most powerful in general (though others can be situationally better) so I'd recommend investing some into that.

Pyromancer999
2015-06-20, 10:11 AM
Alteration is always fun, so long as you don't mind concentrating on your shapeshifting or expending the spell points to do so.

If you want to boost your allies like a bard, the War sphere can always help with that also.

Ironsides
2015-06-20, 10:51 PM
The Incantor is a great class to start off with. I would suggest, however, that you do not go with any of the specializations other than maybethe Domain specializations or possibly the channel specialization if you want to build a cleric of some sort. I say this because you have to consider is what you are getting worth the extra bonus feats you are losing out on down the road. These bonus feats can be spent on metamagic feats, item creation feats, the Extra Talents Feat, and other specialty stuff like Divine Protection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/divine-protection).

Also just to let you know the new expanded options for Spheres of Power is out on Paizo's website (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9es0?Spheres-of-Power-Expanded-Options). It may have something in there that you would like to go with.

stack
2015-06-21, 07:50 AM
Weather can be rather nasty, but the best low level trick, lightning bolts every round, require a high degree of specialization.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-06-21, 10:55 PM
So did some discussion with my DM. He requires I have at least 2 drawbacks, of which, one must be an "exploitable" drawback that "an intelligent, knowledgeable opponent can exploit." So I decided on Focuse Casting (Staff) and Verbal Casting drawbacks. I was thinking of having the staff have a bit of quartz which glows depending on which Sphere I'm using (Red for Destruction, for example). Would this be sufficient for the Magical Signs drawback? I feel like its too subtle, since the drawback makes it seem the signs are unambiguous, and everyone knows the type of Sphere you are using.

I've decided I'm going to focus on 3 Spheres, and have 4 sub-Spheres. My main 3 Spheres are going to be Time, Warp and Telekinesis, while my sub-Spheres are Life, Destruction, Mind and an open slot I'm still deciding on. Below I've got a mock up of his build (were using Epic Fantasy Point-Buy).

Myree Hilo, Drow Incanter 1 (male)
Str: 8
Dex: 8 (10)
Con: 12 (10)
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 18 (20)

Abilities:
Drow Abilities (minus Keen Senses and Poison Use)
Ambitious Schemer (Diplomacy) and Ancestral Grudge Alternate Racial Traits

Talent/Spheres:
Bonus 1: Time Sphere
Bonus 2: Warp Sphere
Incanter 1a: Telekinesis Sphere
Incanter 1b: Mind Sphere

Skills:
Appraise 1
Diplomacy 1
Linguistics 1 (Drow Hand Sign)
Spellcraft 1

Feats:
Level 1: Drow Nobility
Incanter Bonus 1: [Open]

Spell Points: 7 (5 (Cha)+ 1 (level) +1 (Drawbacks)

I'm debating on using my Incanter Bonus feat to snag a Talent from one of my spheres. Note, this is my first time really using Pathefinder, so some of the nitpicky details I'm not sure of (like skills). Specifically, I've seen a few references to making concentration checks (both for Spheres and regular Spells) but Concentration doesn't seem to be a skill anymore.

Vhaidara
2015-06-22, 05:58 AM
Concentration is now 1d20+Casting modifier+ Caster level (i think)

I'd probably not allow that for Magical Signs. Then again, the ones that I've done are subtitles (the character screams the name of the ability in Japanese and they appear) and diagrams (university professor who gives lectures to cast, draws them in the air)

stack
2015-06-22, 06:26 AM
I'd probably allow that as a sign, as long as it glowed brightly enough to be obvious. Note that if you take verbal or somatic casting that silent or still spell make good metamagic feats for those tight spots.