PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Water Orc Barbarian Help

SovelsAtaask
2015-06-20, 02:43 AM
I'm planning on taking part in a solo game over on Myth Weavers as a level 2 Water Orc Barbarian, but I need some help in choosing where to put my stats. Also, the DM is giving me an extra +2 to stick wherever. I've already rolled and have gotten:

Now if I just wanted to smash skulls this would be an easy thing to figure out. But my orc has aspirations beyond that. He wants to be a leader of his people, putting his tribe on top of the others, all that nice stuff. So, how should I configure my abilities to make that a bit more possible?

Side Note: General build advice is also appreciated. And I could be gestalt if I wanted to, any suggestions there?

EDIT: Would I be better off going half-orc?

Ellowryn
2015-06-20, 10:14 AM
Stats are Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13, Put the extra +2 in Str for a total of Str 24, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 8, Cha 11.

For actual builds, what do you want your orc to do in battle? Barbarians are pretty much face smashers, so Shocktrooper build would be pretty standard (and quite powerful with your rolls).

If you are going gestalt then PrC's like Orc Warlord (Races of Faerun) and Warchief (Miniatures Handbook) would be good to stick on the other side.

Oh, and Water Orc is far better than Half-Orc.

Warrnan
2015-06-20, 10:29 AM
Barbarian's have a ton of intimidate synergy. You could go imperious command, never outnumbered and instantaneous rage.

SinsI
2015-06-20, 02:04 PM
Put 18 and +2 into Constitution and play as a Totemist.

atemu1234
2015-06-20, 03:36 PM
Stats are Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13, Put the extra +2 in Str for a total of Str 24, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 8, Cha 11.

For actual builds, what do you want your orc to do in battle? Barbarians are pretty much face smashers, so Shocktrooper build would be pretty standard (and quite powerful with your rolls).

If you are going gestalt then PrC's like Orc Warlord (Races of Faerun) and Warchief (Miniatures Handbook) would be good to stick on the other side.

Oh, and Water Orc is far better than Half-Orc.

Why on earth is the barbarian's Charisma higher than his Intelligence?

eggynack
2015-06-20, 04:06 PM
Why on earth is the barbarian's Charisma higher than his Intelligence?
Intimidation power, I would suspect. Imperious command demands a 15 in charisma, but you can make up the difference with items by the time you need it, and then you combine that with classics like intimidating rage, instantaneous rage, and the never outnumber skill trick, and you wind up with a pretty powerful intimidator. Either that or the build is just seeking to use intimidate normally. You really want intimidate as a skill chosen, and listen is quite good as well, but you don't really need more than that unless you want to abuse handle animal. The other skills aren't useless, but bumping the intimidate ability may be more important than having those other abilities. Also, the OP did explicitly say that he's trying to put together a leader here, if you want a non-mechanical reason.

Darrin
2015-06-20, 04:14 PM
I would try a "Reverse-Thogaturge (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?195049-Help-Me-Be-Annoying-with-a-Barbarian-Wizard)". He "claims" to be a raging barbarian, but is secretly a transmuter wizard. His "rage!" is really bull's strength, the "alchemical fire" on his sword is really blades of fire, and so on. Max out his Int, put some ranks in Sleight of Hand to hide somatic/material components, wear some light armor "for more mobility" (and suck up the ASF until you can afford the twilight mithral breastplate). Of course, he's very sensitive about his tribal history and insists he's not a dirty no-good pointy-hat wizard.

Blackhawk748
2015-06-20, 04:24 PM
I would try a "Reverse-Thogaturge (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?195049-Help-Me-Be-Annoying-with-a-Barbarian-Wizard)". He "claims" to be a raging barbarian, but is secretly a transmuter wizard. His "rage!" is really bull's strength, the "alchemical fire" on his sword is really blades of fire, and so on. Max out his Int, put some ranks in Sleight of Hand to hide somatic/material components, wear some light armor "for more mobility" (and suck up the ASF until you can afford the twilight mithral breastplate). Of course, he's very sensitive about his tribal history and insists he's not a dirty no-good pointy-hat wizard.

I love this, but id go Sorc, so you dont have to hide a spellbook too.

ericgrau
2015-06-20, 05:04 PM
For the leading stuff, I'd get the leadership feat. If your DM or you think it's broken, don't let your cohort travel with the party. Have him assist you with other business with your people. A 12-14 charisma is pretty good for leadership, and with proper role-play to build a good reputation you can get by with a 10-12. Plus there are cha magic items. Skills aren't essential but dipping or some such to pick up diplomacy and/or gather information wouldn't be terrible either. Knowledge local and/or history isn't bad either.

Oh, and also smash skulls.

JW86
2015-06-20, 05:28 PM
Might makes Right is a feat which adds your strength modifier to your leadership score.. :)

Blackhawk748
2015-06-20, 05:40 PM
Might makes Right is a feat which adds your strength modifier to your leadership score.. :)

Its also extremely Orky

Darrin
2015-06-20, 05:59 PM
I love this, but id go Sorc, so you dont have to hide a spellbook too.

Desert half-orc has no Cha penalty, hopefully you can add the Magic-Blooded template for Cha +2/Wis -2. Stalwart Sorcerer ACF gets you MWP with something big and sharp. Not quite as good as the Martial Wizard ACF, but yes, no spellbook to hide.

SovelsAtaask
2015-06-20, 08:11 PM
Definitely not looking to make a mage of any kind. And I've decided to go Wolf Totem Barbarian|Bonus Feat Rogue gestalt, with plans for Warchief later. If I do that, I'll have enough feats to be able to be an intimidator and shock trooper pretty easily. In combat, I'm mostly planning on trying to smash as many faces as possible and trying to keep others from hitting back, or at least from hitting back effectively.

Ellowryn
2015-06-20, 08:21 PM
Well, you really don't need the feat rogue though. The general build is Whirling Frenzy Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 4 which gets you everything you need to be big and nasty at level 6. The thing is, there is really no point to going more than 2-4 levels of Barbarian as their class features just are not worth it. After those 6 levels you want just about anything that fully progresses BaB such as Fist of the Forest, Frenzied Berserker, Bear Warrior, Horizon Walker, etc.

For your other side, you are going to want something that compliments your Barbarian. The aforementioned Marshal is a very good class, helping to shore up your abysmal Will Saves and giving very good leader-like synergies. Dragon Shaman also works too.

Blackhawk748
2015-06-20, 11:30 PM
Well, you really don't need the feat rogue though. The general build is Whirling Frenzy Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 4 which gets you everything you need to be big and nasty at level 6. The thing is, there is really no point to going more than 2-4 levels of Barbarian as their class features just are not worth it. After those 6 levels you want just about anything that fully progresses BaB such as Fist of the Forest, Frenzied Berserker, Bear Warrior, Horizon Walker, etc.

For your other side, you are going to want something that compliments your Barbarian. The aforementioned Marshal is a very good class, helping to shore up your abysmal Will Saves and giving very good leader-like synergies. Dragon Shaman also works too.

He can still do the Barbar/Fighter combo on one side, the Rogue is giving him lots and lots of skills, though i guess Ranger does that too, and a one level Marshall dip is nothing to bat an eye at in gestalt.