PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder/3.5: 1.5 Strenght with one hand?

Xarael
2015-06-20, 04:18 AM
Does anyone know of a way to do 1.5 STR damage while wielding a weapon one-handed? The reason I ask is, I have a character I am thinking of putting thro0ugh a Two-Weapon fighting tree that ends with this feat: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/thunder-and-fang-combat

THis really brings me up to a question of Two-Handed combat vs Two-Weapon Fighting. I've never been especially clear, but obviously the latter option always does worse against DR it doesn't overcome, and struggles with high AC slashing it's damage because of lower attack rolls...

So is this even worth it? If I had a legit way to do 1.5 STR mod with my one handed-two-handed weapon, that would make me feel a lot better...

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?

Andreaz
2015-06-20, 06:12 AM
Scarlet Throne Style (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EPARqt5jpie03MIXStgFrNK_si6g218bjT4TFbcizPY/edit?pli=1). It's in beta, but the book will be published soon, and that will not change.

Scarlet Throne Style is the closest thing, but it still locks down your offhand... You might have better succcess using more arms. An extra arm is enough for you to use the earth breaker 2h and still have the offhand klar. Aegis has extra arms powers.

And on to Thunder and Fang... I suppose you're aware that's a nerfed version of TWF + Improved Shield Bash? See if your DM won't buff it, like the Weapon Style feats in ultimate combat (and even those are weak, imo). Things like "attack with both weapons? Trip the enemy for free"

Aasimar
2015-06-20, 06:34 AM
The system is pretty implicit in it's intent that people who are dual wielding shouldn't gain the 1.5x bonus

The Insanity
2015-06-20, 11:26 AM
The system is pretty implicit in it's intent that people who are dual wielding shouldn't gain the 1.5x bonus
Really? Where?

As for the OP. Dunno about 1.5 Str bonus, but the wording of some feats and abilities (Power Attack for example) allow that if you wield a two-handed weapon one handed you still treat it as if you wielded it in two hands. Personally I interpret it as two-handed weapons always being treated as if they're being used in two hands, which in my games means you get that 1.5 Str bonus. It's probably just a wierd interaction with later material (I don't think there's any way to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand in Core), so I'm just going to call it a houserule of mine inb4 everyone jumps on me for being wrong.

Solaris
2015-06-20, 11:29 AM
Really? Where?

If you can point to specific text, it would not be implicit but rather explicit.

The Insanity
2015-06-20, 11:50 AM
If you can point to specific text, it would not be implicit but rather explicit.
True, but that's not what I asked. I asked where "the system is pretty implicit in it's intent", as Aasimar has stated.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-20, 01:30 PM
With only Paizo content, you'll have to play someone with four arms, like the Kasatha. Dreamscarred Press, however, has two options.

1. The Landsknecht (https://docs.google.com/document/d/14EfP9e8WfQG19MEYJ7Ts-fN5e-w1HrCgPHTfAnI5B68/edit) PrC, currently in playtest, lets you get 1.5*Str to damage when fighting with a single weapon wielded in one hand (so no TWF). Scarlet Throne Style doesn't give 1.5*Str, it just lets you treat your single, wielded-in-one-hand weapon as two-handed for purposes of Power Attack. I'd be pretty impressed if you could find a way to TWF with the Landsknecht or Scarlet Throne Style.

2. The Aegis has the Extra Arms customization chain. It lets you TWF with two-handed weapons from level 8.

Xarael
2015-06-20, 01:38 PM
Scarlet Throne Style (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EPARqt5jpie03MIXStgFrNK_si6g218bjT4TFbcizPY/edit?pli=1). It's in beta, but the book will be published soon, and that will not change.

Scarlet Throne Style is the closest thing, but it still locks down your offhand... You might have better succcess using more arms. An extra arm is enough for you to use the earth breaker 2h and still have the offhand klar. Aegis has extra arms powers.

And on to Thunder and Fang... I suppose you're aware that's a nerfed version of TWF + Improved Shield Bash? See if your DM won't buff it, like the Weapon Style feats in ultimate combat (and even those are weak, imo). Things like "attack with both weapons? Trip the enemy for free"

That looks pretty good, Although I would be dual weilding, so It would only help on turns where I chose not to use my off hand as a weapon. Still very good. My GM is not big on Beta third party sources, though. Uh...Wouldn't you consider this a BUFF to those two feats? It makes the shield a light weapon, gives you a two handed weapon in your main hand, and gives the benefit of improved sheild bash withough taking it? Is that not better then jsut those two, even with an extra couple feats sunk into it?

True, but that's not what I asked. I asked where "the system is pretty implicit in it's intent", as Aasimar has stated.

I kind of agree with him. Monks cannot get 11.5 STR, and no class features or feats even really HINT at it (As far as I have actually found). I would overall agree, which is why no one could immediatly name an obvious feat or class feature to give me such a benefit.

Ssalarn
2015-06-20, 02:00 PM
Really? Where?

As for the OP. Dunno about 1.5 Str bonus, but the wording of some feats and abilities (Power Attack for example) allow that if you wield a two-handed weapon one handed you still treat it as if you wielded it in two hands. Personally I interpret it as two-handed weapons always being treated as if they're being used in two hands, which in my games means you get that 1.5 Str bonus.

Weapons, Two-Handed in One Hand: When a feat or other special ability says to treat a weapon that is normally wielded in two hands as a one handed weapon, does it get treated as one or two handed weapon for the purposes of how to apply the Strength modifier or the Power Attack feat? (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9quw)
If you're wielding it in one hand (even if it is normally a two-handed weapon), treat it as a one-handed weapon for the purpose of how much Strength to apply, the Power Attack damage bonus, and so on.