PDA

View Full Version : What are flumphs?

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-26, 08:02 PM
Ok, not into D&D, any edition, so I know little of the creatures in it now let alone the earlier ones.

So, what are/were flumphs?

jindra34
2007-04-26, 08:03 PM
Ok, not into D&D, any edition, so I know little of the creatures in it now let alone the earlier ones.

So, what are/were flumphs?

Its the name of a similar looking monster from an erlier version of DnD

Duke Malagigi
2007-04-26, 08:05 PM
Flumphs are Lawful Good jellyfish-like creatures from 1st Edition. Think of them as the paladins of abberation kind. That's what a flumph is.

PaladinFreak
2007-04-26, 09:17 PM
Actually, the Flumph was updated to 3.5 in a (relatively) recent Dungeon Magazine.They are soft and light, and, when surprised or angered, can release a really disgusting spray of glop all over the place. Oh yeah. Lawful Good.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-26, 10:10 PM
Actually, the Flumph was updated to 3.5 in a (relatively) recent Dungeon Magazine.They are soft and light, and, when surprised or angered, can release a really disgusting spray of glop all over the place. Oh yeah. Lawful Good.
So I guess the disgusting spray was how they kept from becoming displacer beast chow, huh?

JadedDM
2007-04-26, 11:52 PM
Flumphs are also part of a running gag in OotS. They were among the creatures in the first dungeon that were never converted to 3E. Since then, they often appear in the comic and get crushed by a falling character again and again.

Ral
2007-04-27, 12:41 AM
It's been a long time, but I seem to recall that the defining aspect of the older edition Flumphs was that they tasted like chicken. Do they still taste like chicken in 3.5?

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-27, 06:41 AM
It's been a long time, but I seem to recall that the defining aspect of the older edition Flumphs was that they tasted like chicken. Do they still taste like chicken in 3.5?

Maybe WotC were nice and had them upgraded to Turkey, or maybe beef.

cheese534
2007-04-27, 07:09 AM
they were those little jelly-like guys who kept getting stepped on all the time.

TroyXavier
2007-04-27, 09:51 AM
Do you know which Dungeon they were converted in? I'd like to get stats for them for a humor campaign I plan on running.

Grey Watcher
2007-04-27, 09:56 AM
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flumph)'s all you ever wanted to know about flumphs, but were afraid to ask (short of their actual stats, anyway).

RTGoodman
2007-04-27, 12:14 PM
Actually, I spent a while looking up flumph stats, and I ran across their 3.x conversion here (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/aberration/flumph.htm).

Don't know if these are the stats Dungeon used, but there they are.

Wrecan
2007-04-27, 01:53 PM
So I guess the disgusting spray was how they kept from becoming displacer beast chow, huh?
The displacer beasts never actually saw the flumphs, as the beasts were watching the adventurers drive off, and the flumphs were addressing their displaced images.

Also, flumphs, unlike displacer beasts, can fly.

Stormwolf
2007-04-28, 07:02 AM
Flumphs were 'officially' published in the AD&D 1st ed. Fiend Folio. They're 2HD LG and definitely one of the wierdest critters ever to make an official manual.

these strange creatures are saucer-shaped and pure white in colour and about 2' in diameter. The mouth is at the centre of the upper surface (which is AC0*) either side of the mouth is a 4" long eyestalk. The underside is AC8 and carries a mass of small spikes and numerous small tentacles.

The flumph 'flies' by sucking air into its mouth and expelling it through its underside. Normally it floats just above the ground but can fly up to 10' (usually for attack purposes).

Normally the flumph repels an attacker with a squirt of foul-smelling liquid squirted though an aperture on the creature's 'equator' - any victim failing a save vs. poison will flee in disgust and any creature struck by the liquid will be shunned for 1-4 hours.

If the repulsion attack fails to deter an attacker the flumph rises above its target and drops vertically on its victim. The spikes collectively inflict 1d8 damage and the tentacles fill the wounds with acid which does 1d4 damage recurring for 2d4 rounds (unless magically negated).

The creature can communicate in lawful alignment tongues although its vocabulry is limited. A flumph is helpless if turned over.

*remember in 1st ed. AD&D lower AC is better: AC0 is the same as good field plate armor, AC8 is the same as leather.

GrayMatter
2007-04-28, 09:38 AM
Trivia note, they're named after the sound made when an adventurer's life is saved by falling on them...

Tetsubo 57
2010-01-04, 02:30 PM
Flumphs are the greatest monster ever created for D&D. :)

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 02:36 PM
Though I can't get to headinjurytheater myself at work, their article (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm) on the flumph (and many of the other monstrosities in Dorukan's pit) is a must-read.

EDIT: Found a way around the filter :smallamused:

ericgrau
2010-01-04, 02:40 PM
Besides their intended purpose, they are a common target for jest. See above link (dang ninja).

Tetsubo 57
2010-01-04, 02:45 PM
I've used them successfully in the past. I made them inter-dimensional beings. There was only *one* colony of flumphs in all of the Planes. They slipped between planes as easily as you and I walk across a room. Eventually the PCs were going to use them as a traveling method. But the campaign ended early.

factotum
2010-01-04, 04:54 PM
Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-04, 05:13 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Welcome to 2010. Much has happened in the three years since you were last a live thread.