PDA

View Full Version : Soulbow Question

AmoDman
2007-04-26, 08:09 PM
I was just upgrading my Soulknife to a Soulbow and ran into a query here I thought I'd run past the experts. From the Mind Arrow desciption -

The bolt is identical in all ways (except visually) to an arrow shot from a composite longbow. For instance, a Medium soulbow materializes an arrow that speeds toward the specified target, and if it hits, deals 1d8 points of damage (crit x3) plus extra damage equal to the soulbow's Wisdom modifier.

So here's what I was wondering, did they mean identical to a Composite Longbow for just the range, crit, etc., or did the mean the very crux of the Composite bow, that is, add strength mod? The wisdom bonus is clearly specified as extra damage, so we know it didn't "replace" the Str mod of the Composite. They didn't specify a max Str mod, which may mean it meant the standard +0 Composite, but I just would like to be sure.

Necromas
2007-04-26, 08:18 PM
Soulbows do not get strength to damage, you can verify this by looking at the example soulbows.

Matthew
2007-04-27, 06:56 PM
I would have to agree with Necromas, though it is possible to read it the way you are suggesting it takes some liberties with logical interpretation to arrive at that conclusion, and the intention seems rather clear.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-27, 07:01 PM
no, thats why they get wis instead

AmoDman
2007-04-27, 10:17 PM
I would have to agree with Necromas, though it is possible to read it the way you are suggesting it takes some liberties with logical interpretation to arrive at that conclusion, and the intention seems rather clear.

I agree that the intention seems clear, which is why I didn't notice the awkward phrasing until just recently.

p.s. And yes, Innis, it is why they get WIS (among other things), but the description clearly states that the WIS damage is "extra," not in place of. I'm offically assuming that strictly RAW the paragraph actually does state that Soulbows' arrows are as shot from a Composite +0, since that is standard. Saying they don't get strength because they get WIS, RAW, is the incorrect explanation.