PDA

View Full Version : Become a little bit like another class feats.

Spacehamster
2015-06-20, 07:19 AM
So there is already the magic initiate feat and the battlemaster type feat, anyone thought of any other class/kit feats that could be put into the game? Thoughtof this one myself "scoundrel" : you gain one skill from the rogue skill options and gain expertise in that skill, you also gain 1d6 sneak attack die.

Anyone else got any ideas of feats that gives you the feel of a bit of multiclassing without actually having to mc? :)

Ralanr
2015-06-20, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure if a feat that gave 1 use of rage would be too powerful. It is resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing weapons

Gurka
2015-06-20, 07:31 AM
You could have a feat for an animal companion/sidekick, that could work similar to the beastmaster. Unfortunately, as that stands, it's a little like selecting "cancer" as a feat. Here, have an extra mouth to feed that also uses up your actions in combat, should you want it to do anything.

Spacehamster
2015-06-20, 07:35 AM
Maybe a Paladin one that lets you use smite but only from lvl 1 spell slots so it never gets up to the amount
of damage a paladin gets out of it?

Steampunkette
2015-06-20, 07:46 AM
Take a look at Battlemaster feat. 2 maneuvers. 1d6 to use it. That's worse than the Battlemaster does.

Make it rage 1/day without the resistance. Or resistance to one of the damage types.

I couldn't see a Sneak attack feat, but expertise in one skill would fit.

Ralanr
2015-06-20, 07:46 AM
Maybe a Paladin one that lets you use smite but only from lvl 1 spell slots so it never gets up to the amount
of damage a paladin gets out of it?

Would the feat provide the slot or would the class already need spell slots?

Spacehamster
2015-06-20, 07:48 AM
Would the feat provide the slot or would the class already need spell slots?

Could have it provide 1 slot that can be used only for the feat I suppose, so if you are completely mundane you get
only one use out of it. :)

darkscizor
2015-06-20, 08:18 AM
Feats: Give a low-level feature of a chosen class

Barbarian: Rage for 1d4 rounds

Bard: Can give 1 Inspiration die

Cleric: Can turn undead as a lv. 3 Cleric

Druid: Can wildshape into a 1/8CR
creature once/day.

Fighter: Gain 1fighting style

Monk: Unarmed strikes deal 1d4 damage

Paladin: Can smite with lv. 1 spell slots

Ranger: Gain 1 favored enemy

Rogue: Gain a 1d6 sneak attack

Sorcerer: Choose one metamagic feat for a single spell

Warlock: Choose a lesser invocation useable for a 1 hour of the day max

Wizard: Learn a wizard cantrip

EvanescentHero
2015-06-20, 09:56 AM

Tavern Brawler and Magic Initiate, respectively, do these and more.

Lolzyking
2015-06-20, 10:11 AM
Feats: Give a low-level feature of a chosen class

Barbarian: Rage for 1d4 rounds

Bard: Can give 1 Inspiration die

Cleric: Can turn undead as a lv. 3 Cleric

Druid: Can wildshape into a 1/8CR
creature once/day.

Fighter: Gain 1fighting style

Paladin: Can smite with lv. 1 spell slots

Ranger: Gain 1 favored enemy

Rogue: Gain a 1d6 sneak attack

Sorcerer: Choose one metamagic feat for a single spell

Warlock: Choose a lesser invocation useable for a 1 hour of the day max

Give each one of these a +1 to a stat relevant to the class, and one other nifty thing and it balances out, perhaps the wizard one could grant a single spell slot and at any time 2 prepared wizard spells.

perhaps ranger and druid could give proficiency in a skill like nature/medicine/animal handling

Spacehamster
2015-06-20, 10:59 AM
A feat like these should maybe give 2 small things from the class it got the feel off, one crunch and one fluff thing. So o e give a small mecanical edge and the other mostly gives the feel or vibe of the class it emulates but rarely is mechanically useful. :)

thereaper
2015-06-22, 01:27 PM
The Sentinel Feat makes you part melee, the Magic Initiate feat makes you part caster, and the Criminal or Urchin background makes you part Rogue.

obryn
2015-06-22, 01:32 PM
This is more or less how 4e handled multiclassing, and it worked quite well in practice.

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-22, 01:36 PM
I don't think sneak attack is appropriate for a feat. In addition to being incredibly boring, sneak attack is a core damage scaling mechanism for rogues. It's like giving Extra Attack as a feat (albeit probably less powerful).

Feats should be interesting. Casting spells is interesting. Combat maneuvers like tripping people or scaring them is interesting. +1d6 damage is not interesting.

Ralanr
2015-06-22, 04:16 PM
I don't think sneak attack is appropriate for a feat. In addition to being incredibly boring, sneak attack is a core damage scaling mechanism for rogues. It's like giving Extra Attack as a feat (albeit probably less powerful).

Feats should be interesting. Casting spells is interesting. Combat maneuvers like tripping people or scaring them is interesting. +1d6 damage is not interesting.

YMMV. Personally I find spell casting to be lazy. I'm much more creative (personal experience) when I can't use magic than when I can.

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-22, 04:18 PM
YMMV. Personally I find spell casting to be lazy. I'm much more creative (personal experience) when I can't use magic than when I can.

Regardless, I'm sure you can agree that spellcasting can be used more creatively than +1d6 damage.

Ralanr
2015-06-22, 04:25 PM
Regardless, I'm sure you can agree that spellcasting can be used more creatively than +1d6 damage.

+1d6 AND tripping/scaring. Being tripped while fighting a martial is the last thing you want.