PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I'm level 4 and have no idea where to take my build

ekarney
2015-06-20, 09:45 AM
I'm playing in my first PF campaign, and have been for a couple months now, I've just hit level 4 as a Swashbuckler (Not using an archetype), and I'm not sure where to go from here. I either want to start dual wielding or start focussing on ranged weapons, as the DM has allowed his homebrew firearms into the game and I've picked up a LOT of them.

Abilities:
Str: 11
Dex: 20
Con: 14
Int: 11
Wis: 7
Cha: 17

Feats/Traits/Flaws/Abilities:
Extra Panache
Combat Expertise
Masterful Demeanor (Human)
Dirty Fighter
Meticulous
Weapon Focus (Cutlass)
Slashing Grace

I'm currently wandering around like Keira Knightly in Pirates of the Caribbean 3, when she's got the ridiculous amount of guns, and honestly I'd like to make use of them, as well as my Flaming Cutlass,

I was thinking along the lines of a dual-wield build from here on, as my Cutlii (Cutlasses?) are classed as light weapons and I feel like I should be making use of the ridiculous amounts of guns the DM's given me. (14 pistols and 2 carbines)

I'm assuming that feats-wise they'll be classed as crossbows for purposes of pre-reqs but I'll check with the DM.

I don't know the classes of the other party members but they're both minionmancers and apparently high-tier.

Allowed material is anything of d20pfsrd

Strormer
2015-06-20, 09:53 AM
Here ya go! (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/sword-and-pistol-combat) Sounds like a fun character. Good luck.

ekarney
2015-06-20, 10:44 AM
Here ya go! (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/sword-and-pistol-combat) Sounds like a fun character. Good luck.

Oooh thank you!
I've been playing him CG, as a wannabe Paladin, but he wasn't able to become one due to having the wrong physcial and mental aptitude.

Before I got all the guns, I was just throwing daggers from a bandoleer.

However, I was thinking I might just use the age-old pirate (and sometimes gypsy) trick of carrying multiple guns in a bandoleer or two, firing them, and not reloading them until the battles over, so I think I'll have to get quickdraw too, for switching between dual cutlasses and being a dirty pirate.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-20, 01:36 PM
Before you do start trying to TWF with guns, make sure you have a way to reload. You need a hand free for that.

Strormer
2015-06-20, 10:34 PM
Before you do start trying to TWF with guns, make sure you have a way to reload. You need a hand free for that.

He did say that he was planning to have multiple guns which would solve the reloading problem, though it makes magic effects on the gun effectively worthless. Perhaps magic up the cutlass and then just get magic ammunition? There's no reason you couldn't even have extra single-shot pistols with special ammo for special occasions if you go that route. Cost efficient, no, but again, cool.

Psyren
2015-06-20, 11:05 PM

He mentioned that - using multiple guns and not reloading until after the battle. (Though this isn't much of a long-term solution as later on you will need a magic firearm to keep pace with various monster defenses, and maintaining more than one of those will impact your finances too heavily.)

Personally, I would rock that feat on a Juggler bard, or dual-wield revolvers with a gun-kata, Equilibrium-style.

IZ42
2015-06-20, 11:15 PM
You could get the magic item enchantment Endless Ammunition. For a +1 bonus, you simply don't care about ammunition or reloading times anymore!

Psyren
2015-06-20, 11:28 PM
You could get the magic item enchantment Endless Ammunition. For a +1 bonus, you simply don't care about ammunition or reloading times anymore!

This doesn't work on guns sadly. Also, you do still care about reloading times actually:

"This ability does not reduce the amount of time required to load or fire the weapon."

However it does allow you to reload with your hands full, so there is that.

IZ42
2015-06-21, 12:01 PM
This doesn't work on guns sadly. Also, you do still care about reloading times actually:

"This ability does not reduce the amount of time required to load or fire the weapon."

However it does allow you to reload with your hands full, so there is that.

Just noticed that. That's absolutely stupid. I hate Fine Print.

Psyren
2015-06-21, 07:23 PM
Just noticed that. That's absolutely stupid. I hate Fine Print.

I agree it should work on guns (at least, Early Firearms that use individual bullets instead of cartridges or something) but a +1 bonus removing the action cost of all ranged weapons is a bit much. You would make Rapid Reload pointless for a mere 2k.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-21, 07:25 PM
I agree it should work on guns (at least, Early Firearms that use individual bullets instead of cartridges or something) but a +1 bonus removing the action cost of all ranged weapons is a bit much. You would make Rapid Reload pointless for a mere 2k.

Oh no, characters can spend gold to make guns and crossbows almost as viable as the standard composite bow, which reloads as a free action and automatically gets Strength to damage.

Psyren
2015-06-21, 07:40 PM
Oh no, characters can spend gold to make guns and crossbows almost as viable as the standard composite bow, which reloads as a free action and automatically gets Strength to damage.

Crossbows have other advantages, notably lacking a proficiency feat cost for multiple classes (like wizards, clerics and monks.) Not requiring rapid reload puts the crossbow user a leg up.

Keep in mind I'm merely playing devil's advocate here - for myself, I can barely be arsed to care about ranged weapon balance, since if I'm not using a character that is built around a specific ranged weapon chances are they won't be using one at all. But clearly it matters to the designers, of both games.

IZ42
2015-06-21, 07:45 PM
Crossbows have other advantages, notably lacking a proficiency feat cost for multiple classes (like wizards, clerics and monks.) Not requiring rapid reload puts the crossbow user a leg up.

Keep in mind I'm merely playing devil's advocate here - for myself, I can barely be arsed to care about ranged weapon balance, since if I'm not using a character that is built around a specific ranged weapon chances are they won't be using one at all. But clearly it matters to the designers, of both games.

The only time a monk will care about ranged weapons will either be with Shurikens (even if the damage die is crap) or if they took Zen Archer, which they get bow proficiency from.

Psyren
2015-06-21, 07:48 PM
The only time a monk will care about ranged weapons will either be with Shurikens (even if the damage die is crap) or if they took Zen Archer, which they get bow proficiency from.

And I agree, yet they have crossbow proficiency right there, plain as day. I'd be very surprised if it didn't save a PC's life somewhere at some point.

ekarney
2015-06-22, 04:23 AM
I'm still centring the build around melee I just want a dash of ranged in there for a bit of versatility

At the moment I've been using them to probe the defences of an enemy, and watch how the party's minions are doing in melee to see whether it's worth charging in.

I guess I'm trying to use ranged as a supplement, I'm not really sure how to do this because I'm used to 3.5
I'm thinking about getting quickdraw and reloading post-battle.