PDA

View Full Version : Can Warcraft 2 be played on a modern computer?

Jeivar
2015-06-20, 12:14 PM
I've been listening to the Warcraft 2 soundtrack on Youtube, and it triggered my nostalgia gland.
Is it still possible to play it on a modern computer without jumping through 20 different hoops? The only people I know who are less computer-savvy than me are in their fifties.

Cespenar
2015-06-20, 12:43 PM
As the situation is with many old games, you can probably play it by jumping through one hoop: DOSBox.

GungHo
2015-06-22, 09:39 AM
Haven't tried it in awhile, but DOSBox is the answer. Some mice have issues with DOSBox. It sometimes helps to have a simple, old school, two button mouse that looks like it probably originally was speced out with a PS/2 connector.

Gnoman
2015-06-22, 01:50 PM
If you have the Battle.Net edition, it should run well enough - my copy runs on Windows 7 without too much trouble, although I do have to jump through the slight hoop of ending Explorer's task after launching the game to prevent color corruption, much like Starcraft and Diablo II.

Cespenar
2015-06-23, 12:25 AM
I just gave it a try, by the way, and putting aside heavy nostalgia, it's pretty bland. Unlike other old gems such as Blood&Magic, Heroes 2, Master of Magic, etc.

factotum
2015-06-23, 02:18 AM
Some mice have issues with DOSBox.

I've never encountered one that did? DOSBox is essentially emulating the mouse via the Windows drivers, so if the mouse works in Windows, it ought to also work in DOSBox. It's possible to have certain *games* that don't like the way DOSBox emulates the mouse, but using a different mouse doesn't usually help those.