PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sorcerer with the cleric spell list - should I allow this?

Talyn
2015-06-20, 12:58 PM
For a one-shot, one of my players wants to play an Ur-Priest (i.e. a cleric that steals power from the gods, instead of actually worshipping them.)

Rather than create a new class from scratch, he suggested that the class mechanically be a Wild Magic sorcerer, but with the Cleric spell list instead of the Sorcerer spell list.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't allow this? The character concept is awesome, and I'd like a solution that doesn't involve a ton of work on my end to make it work.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-20, 01:46 PM
For a one-shot, one of my players wants to play an Ur-Priest (i.e. a cleric that steals power from the gods, instead of actually worshipping them.)

Rather than create a new class from scratch, he suggested that the class mechanically be a Wild Magic sorcerer, but with the Cleric spell list instead of the Sorcerer spell list.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't allow this? The character concept is awesome, and I'd like a solution that doesn't involve a ton of work on my end to make it work.

There a absolutely no reason to not do this.

Submortimer
2015-06-20, 02:18 PM
Agreed. For a longer game, I'd advise against it, mostly because I think the player would find his power lacking, but for a one shot it's an awesome idea!

GiantOctopodes
2015-06-20, 02:25 PM
Agreed, I see no issues with that whatsoever, sounds cool. In addition, I'd provide him with the spells from one domain (but not any other benefits associated with the domain) as the cleric spell list does kinda assume he has that extra oomph in one form or another

Inevitability
2015-06-20, 02:43 PM
Agreed, I see no issues with that whatsoever, sounds cool. In addition, I'd provide him with the spells from one domain (but not any other benefits associated with the domain) as the cleric spell list does kinda assume he has that extra oomph in one form or another

Was going to point this out. Clerics need their domains if they want to have versatility.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-20, 02:47 PM
Was going to point this out. Clerics need their domains if they want to have versatility.

I would just give the sorcerer the domain spells as spell known for free, UA is already doing it so it wouldn't be that crazy.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-21, 11:25 AM

Indeed, like wizards need their spellbook.

Elbeyon
2015-06-21, 11:40 AM
A lesser option would be to allow the favored soul (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes).

darkscizor
2015-06-21, 12:11 PM
Makes sense. It won't be a primary damage dealer, but as a healer, it'll work almost as well as a cleric.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-22, 10:02 AM

I don't see a real reason (except contagion, which is still THE spell). But in fact the cleric doesn't cast better spells in fact. You have to give him the same amount of spells as a sorcerer normal can.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-22, 10:04 AM

A sorceren can't prepare many spells, but this isn't a cleric but a sorcerer. With the same amount of spells as a normal sorcerer he is some weaker than a normal sorceren. But if the player isn't a munchkin, why not?

ImSAMazing
2015-07-04, 11:03 AM
I don't see a real reason (except contagion, which is still THE spell). But in fact the cleric doesn't cast better spells in fact. You have to give him the same amount of spells as a sorcerer normal can.
He already was going to do that. He only asked if there is a reason he shouldn't change the spell list to Cleric spell list.

A sorceren can't prepare many spells, but this isn't a cleric but a sorcerer. With the same amount of spells as a normal sorcerer he is some weaker than a normal sorceren. But if the player isn't a munchkin, why not?

Use multiquote, this is called: Doubleposting, it isn't allowed. To talk about your quote, nothing wrong with munchkins

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-04, 11:23 AM
Use multiquote, this is called: Doubleposting, it isn't allowed. To talk about your quote, nothing wrong with munchkins

First, you did that often enough, see the body tactican
First a post, than a second with
Any other feedback?

And you may not talk about others who are post farming, did you read the rules? (this don't mean I'm postfarming)

To talk about what YOU said, I didn't say there's anything wrong with munchkins, I said that you can allow it if he isn't a munchkin. Because a munchkin doesn't want to be a sorcerer with the cleric spell list.

Ralanr
2015-07-04, 11:28 AM
First, you did that often enough, see the body tactican
First a post, than a second with
Any other feedback?

And you may not talk about others who are post farming, did you read the rules? (this don't mean I'm postfarming)

To talk about what YOU said, I didn't say there's anything wrong with munchkins, I said that you can allow it if he isn't a munchkin. Because a munchkin doesn't want to be a sorcerer with the cleric spell list.

At the risk of being rude, it's just more polite to do multi quoting. Though it's really difficult to do it on a phone (which I'm on sometimes) so if that's a reason and someone calls you out, make that point.