PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sorcerer creation for a 5th level campaign

Death knight 00
2015-06-20, 02:35 PM
i thought up a character idea for a sorcerer and i wanted to know what you guys thought ( this character has no race only a background which the criminal variant spy).

So the idea is a sorcerer that is of draconic bloodline but is trying to hide his magic by fighting with a melee weapon ( i am thinking a scimitar) and yet will use his magic to protect his friends.

So lets say that i rolled stats of:

What race should i be and how should i play him?

Dralnu
2015-06-20, 02:44 PM
Are you set on draconic sorcerer? Favored Soul would suit your needs much better. It gets you more/better protection spells, proficiency in melee stuff, extra attack etc. Draconic sorcerer gives you nothing in terms of melee or extra utility aside from a little more health and permanent mage armor (you'll need more in the frontlines).

Jamesps
2015-06-20, 04:01 PM
Are you set on draconic sorcerer? Favored Soul would suit your needs much better. It gets you more/better protection spells, proficiency in melee stuff, extra attack etc. Draconic sorcerer gives you nothing in terms of melee or extra utility aside from a little more health and permanent mage armor (you'll need more in the frontlines).

Crunch aside, you might want to play something that doesn't have visible scales as a class ability. I mean I guess you could go the whole "heavily robed" deal all the time, and maybe throw on some makeup but let's be honest: In fantasy settings heavily robed guys are the first person everyone suspects of being a secret dragon spy.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-21, 09:33 AM
I hear the best way to play a Draconic Sorcerer is to pick as few damaging Spells as possible and then pick up twin or Quicken and also careful spell.

Careful spell is for "Sleet Sotrm", especially if DM allows all saving throws to be careful during the spell duration.

Quicken is for damaging via cantrips. Grab the elemental Feat.

Twin is for buffs/debuffs.

Race only matters for what you want to do.

Blast/debuffs? Pick someone with a Cha boost or grab a boost at level 4.

Air Genasi or Hill Dwarfs make for some good non-cha races. Hill Dwarf for HP would be 16 Con + 1 DS + 1 Dwarf = 11 HP @ level 1 and 47 HP at level 5.

SharkForce
2015-06-21, 04:05 PM
careful is useful for many kinds of CC spells. works great with web, fear, hypnotic pattern, etc.

anything that might target an area your allies are in and has no impact on a passed save, careful is potentially useful if you think your party might want to go into the area.