PDA

View Full Version : Players always know they've made a save?

ManInOrange
2015-06-20, 02:48 PM
I vaguely remember a rule (I think) about players always knowing they've made a save, so RAW, you can't have an Enchanter across the room lobbing Tasha's Hideous Laughter at the fighter, waiting for him to succumb (or for the party's casters to notice), and rolling his save secretly.

The problem is that I don't know if this is actually a rule, and also that I don't know where to find it. I kind of like the above encounter, but this possibly imaginary rule is stopping me for now..

Morcleon
2015-06-20, 02:58 PM
The Saving Throw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow) section of the SRD states this:

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.

...which implies that (assuming the caster is casting the spell stilled and silenced, and has Eschew Materials) the fighter would feel something, but not be able to tell what's actually going on until they fail a save. Also, the party casters would not be entitled to a Spellcraft check to determine the spell until they can see the effects of the spell (in this case, when the fighter fails the save and starts laughing).

ManInOrange
2015-06-20, 03:35 PM
Thank you! That's what I was looking for.

Anyway, my idea was to have a silent and eschewed spell, but so the casters have a chance of noticing, using sleight of hand for the somatic components as per the skill trick, Conceal Spellcasting.

I think I might use it anyway, since I don't have to specify that it's a spell making him feel funny. (Bah Dum Tssss)