PDA

View Full Version : Player Help If you had a paladin that took a vow of protecting a nation , what would that vow do?

CyberThread
2015-06-20, 07:24 PM
So concept

Paladin vow, instead of to an ideal or god . It is to a nation . Protect that nation. That nation may have some ideas but lets make this more a nationalist paladin vow then some sort of moral empowerment.

What sort of things do you think we can throw in this vow to make it feesaible. I am thinking some sort of mix of a rangers favored enemy , maybe some social interaction skills, with a few bard like auras.

ZenBear
2015-06-20, 07:31 PM
Read the Captain America comics. Work from there. :smallbiggrin:

Kane0
2015-06-20, 07:44 PM
Or a samurai-like approach to duty also works

Chaosvii7
2015-06-20, 09:52 PM
If we're talking literal up front power, they'd probably based around urban exploration. Their channel divinity would likely show to the Paladin people who have sinned or committed crimes, they'd get some abilities wont to apprehending people(or perhaps just delivering straight up justice), and their capstone would probably let them teleport throughout the settlement, presumably no bigger than a metropolis, either one to a few times per day.

Slipperychicken
2015-06-20, 10:34 PM
Paladin vow, instead of to an ideal or god . It is to a nation . Protect that nation. That nation may have some ideas but lets make this more a nationalist paladin vow then some sort of moral empowerment.

Bear in mind this passage from the Paladin fluff:

Sometimes their oaths lead them into the service of the crown as leaders of elite groups of knights, but even then their loyalty is first to the cause of righteousness, not to crown and country.

Paladin fluff doesn't seem to lend itself well to nationalism, as they would act against the perceived national interest when it conflicts with the cause of righteousness. I think a fighter or ranger would be better suited to nationalist ideals, as they are not as handcuffed to righteousness.

CyberThread
2015-06-20, 10:57 PM
Bear in mind this passage from the Paladin fluff:

Paladin fluff doesn't seem to lend itself well to nationalism, as they would act against the perceived national interest when it conflicts with the cause of righteousness. I think a fighter or ranger would be better suited to nationalist ideals, as they are not as handcuffed to righteousness.

Look at vengeance, which lends itself to no religious bit, but rather well.. a vow of vengeance. Paladin fluff lends itself well to whatever you wish it to do.

1Forge
2015-06-21, 10:35 AM
Guys this is an order of the stick forum...Look at the paladin city, they still use divine power, but they hardly ever talk about the dieties they worship (if they worship one) Just set it up like that. A moral code of chivalry was set and they follow it. It admittedly dosent make much sense power-wise but you could make an artifact that powers their abilities, or a patron god of the naton. If you dont have something like that then they are just LG knights with a moral code (which isn't crazy, you dont have to be a paladin to know whats right)

Alejandro
2015-06-22, 09:49 AM
I will assume Good paladins. What happens when a less than good government comes to power in their nation? Say, the sovereign dies and a much less moral heir is crowned, or a less moral president or prime minister is elected, whatever government it is. What happens to the paladins? Do they violate their oaths if they keep serving this new head of the nation? Do they get exterminated (see real world examples all over medieval Europe.) Are they now morally compelled to overthrow the government?

MadBear
2015-06-22, 10:07 AM
Look at vengeance, which lends itself to no religious bit, but rather well.. a vow of vengeance. Paladin fluff lends itself well to whatever you wish it to do.

While I agree that creating a new vow could do as you wish, I'd say you're rather wrong on the vengeance paladin not being religious. He's the religious assassin who cuts off the head of the snake. I'll quote the quite religous bits:

punish those who have committed a grievous sin.

when an entire people turns against the will of the gods

So to say that it doesn't lend itself to religion isn't true. It very much reminds me of Silas from the Da Vinci Code who is a murderer, but is still quite religious.