PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Character and why!

Aleolus
2015-06-20, 09:39 PM
Like the title says, this thread is to tell us about your favorite character you have ever played in this system! All I ask you to include is their name, race, class, a few specifics about their build that you remember, and why that character was so memorable for you.
I'll go first: My favorite character was Walter, Halfling Druid. I remember I gave him the Halfling Druid RSLs, as well as feats which turned his initiative to "yes" (+16). The reason he was my favorite is that he was the first character that I got so emotionally attached to that when he was going through a huge amount of stress (and basically deciding to retire) I got choked up myself.

erok0809
2015-06-20, 10:44 PM
My favorite character I've played as a player was Sigrid Sarkynyt, a level 11 Elan psion. She was a blaster, for fun, but I still managed to win ecl+3 or greater fights by myself. Empowered energy current + solicit psicrystal, followed by another blasty power (psionic disintegrate, usually) on turns past the first = lots and lots of damage every round, and able to decide which energy type was appropriate first to get around type immunities. Plus, she also had death urge for low will things, that was awesome, and cranial deluge for fun. It did help though that she had a couple of meatshield, err, melee types in the party to distract enemies and keep her alive, since she was a bit fragile.

My favorite character to play as a dm was my first character, Soren Sarkynyt (the first humanoid arcane caster on the plane, and Sigrid's father, though he was about 2000 years old at that point, as opposed to 18 when I got to play him as a character) as an epic sorcerer (all of my friends and I have our first characters as rulers and epic characters in the multiverse) using epic magic and legendary commander to basically be immortal, or rather extremely long-lived. It was just fun to be that character at such a high level, but he served as a guide and quest giver; he didn't do a whole lot of actual stuff.

PraxisVetli
2015-06-20, 11:16 PM
Alithyra, my snake-revering Jungle Gnome Ranger/Horizon Walker/ Deepwood Sniper.
And her trusted Companion (via Wild Cohort) a Terrorbird that served primarily as her mount. Only plaged to 12, but we had a great time.
Groups face when she couldn't read (for rp flavor) was pretty priceless. We were a low-op campaign, and Ali and her Atlatl were far from powerful, but we had some good times.

atemu1234
2015-06-20, 11:53 PM
Ashblade, from an Aberrant D20 game. An immortal... being who forgot who he was, I had fun running around in-game with an intelligent, telepathic katana.

Dienekes
2015-06-21, 12:22 AM
Hmm, 99% of the time, I'm a GM. So, while I have a lot of fun with my villains and NPCs, I'm not sure I can really count them.

While I've done a few that I have loved, Gerric the Warblade/Fighter, who's running away from his murderous past and trying to become a better person, or Donnic the Torturer, a Rogue working as an information gatherer of the local army, a vile man full of self loathing who nevertheless always takes the most direct path for his own survival. They were both really fun.

But I have to say, my all time favorite, was Sir Squeeb, Goblin Cavalier for Pathfinder. Squeeb was a goblin who was saved from a bear by a traveling paladin when he was young. And from that point on he dedicated himself to being as honorable and knightly as he could be, without any real idea how that worked. He was an idiot, tried to wear the heaviest armor he could, and the biggest weapons while having a strength penalty. His mount was a pig named "Noble Steed". He was entirely useless in combat, but I loved playing that little bugger. He was always eager to be heroic even when he was useless. He kept saying "Huzzah" "Tally the hoes!" and other things he thought sounded knightly even though he didn't know what they meant. Great fun.

torrasque666
2015-06-21, 02:47 AM
Poruk the Warforged. Partially because he was my first character that I stuck with(a whole campaign actually) and also because my DM and I both overlooked that size changing magic works different than the Improving Monsters rules. He got to Colossal size (polymorph amulet to Warforged Charger, item of Augmented Expansion, divine boon [from Vecna of all people]) winding up with a whopping 70 strength before his war hulk levels. We used him as a living siege weapon, including dropping him into an enemy's stronghold from orbit.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-21, 03:21 AM
I'm a DM most of the time, but I did play variations of the exactly same character for several years in different RP Neverwinter Nights servers. It counts because Neverwinter Nights is based on d&d 3.0 (core). :smallbiggrin:
Anyway, in his many reincarnations Gorstag Tessele was a human LN pure Wizard (due to the lack of any decent arcane PrC in nwn), emphasis on both Lawful and Neutral, which essentially meant that in absence of a written rule that explicitly declared that a specific action or behaviour was illegal, he had no problem with it. He was primarily a transmuter, but he never specialized in Transmutation because he didn't want to give up any other school, although he did select Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus and Epic Spell Focus in every school bar Enchantment and Illusion. He was a somewhat young arcanist (around 20 years old), but he spent so much time indoors studying and reading dusty books researching new spells that he looked like a pale wrinkled old man (with Str 8, Dex 8 and Cha 8 that's the minimum), despite his long black beard. He always remained silent except when he had something important to say, expressing through nodding and frowning otherwise, liked flashy clothes and absolutely loved to never lift a finger in combat: his favourite tactic was summoning big bears or elementals to fight, buffing them to the stratosphere and raining spells like Flesh to Stone (especially Flesh to Stone) on his enemies. Gorstag Tessele was also a faithful servant of Oghma, the Lord of Knowledge, hence is love for everything written in a book and gold-lined purple cloaks.
Among the things he accomplished through the years (and dimensions), listed in no particular order, there are:
- founding an order of adventurers, bards, explorers and generally other seekers of Knowledge;
- exploiting system's mechanics (i.e. Appraise, Craft Traps, etc.) to have access to a sufficient amount of gold at any time;
- trying to become a Lich to have more time to study;
- using several hundreds scrolls of Time Stop to have more time to study (which actually backfired into accelerated aging);
- living in Forgotten Realms twice, as well as in Krynn (Dragonlance) and Barovia (Ravenloft).
I also plan to recycle him as a N Wizard 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Cloicestered cleric of Oghma <insert appropriate Dragon Age deity here> 1/Warblade 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 8 in the Dragon Age campaign that one of my players will DM as soon as they complete the current campaign.

On the other hand, if I had to choose among the characters that I actually had the chance to play at a table, my favourite would be Korg. This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?195049-Help-Me-Be-Annoying-with-a-Barbarian-Wizard) Korg. I used him on both sides of the DM screen and he's hilarious beyond imagination.

Darkweave31
2015-06-21, 04:54 AM
Shadowcraft mage that created a shadow world with a shadow plotline for the shadow PCs that he created out of shadows. The plot twist was when the shadow PCs got access to true seeing and discovered that everything they knew and everything they were, were just the shadows of the imagination of a mad illusionist.

Bromley20
2015-06-21, 05:04 AM
Draco Greenscale is the name the party gave him. He was a dragonwrought kobold dragon shaman. He was basically a mini green dragon including the wings and breath weapon. He would go around using intimidate to simulate a dragons frightful presence and with +20ish it normally worked. He took the leadership and landlord combo to establish a small kobold fort in a remote area. Every time he met another kobold, or occasionally even a dragon, he would invite them to join "Fort Greenscale". He slowly became kobold Moses leading his fellow kobolds to a "promised land" (his fort). After several campaigns he became a mini god (dragon ascendant prc) and watched over his small city.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-21, 05:32 AM
Shadowcraft mage that created a shadow world with a shadow plotline for the shadow PCs that he created out of shadows. The plot twist was when the shadow PCs got access to true seeing and discovered that everything they knew and everything they were, were just the shadows of the imagination of a mad illusionist.

This is brilliant! I love surprise recursive plots. But is it actually doable? I'm admittedly not an expert in Shadowcraft Mage's stuff (even though I know that they can create things like 140% real illusions), but I don't see how it's possible to create shadow PCs: even copying stuff like Summon Monsters, which you can use to create sentient shadow creatures, how do you create a sentient shadow human, dwarf, orc, elf, halfling or whatnot? You could create any of those with normal illusions, but you'd end up creating puppets that act at your whim and thus cannot "suddenly realize" anything unless you order them to.

TheNivMizzet
2015-06-21, 06:49 AM
I'm torn between two, since one was a well grounded in a campaign which banned most of the stupid stuff and we actually played a campaign which was really fun, and another in a campaign where WBL was thrown out, and we were allowed the stupidest of character options.
I probably enjoyed Niv more because as a wizard he had very few hitpoints but he never died, and wasn't even knocked below 0hp except at level 2 and he couldn't climb a rope. I built him for blasting, and almost reached the capstone of elemental savant before we finished the campaign and slowly became attacked to him. He had a wife in game and strived to keep a small village/town safe after founding it with his other adventurers. Best moment was having taken control of a huge wyrm, and sent it ahead at a zygarut..which then resulted in several enervations hitting him down to negative 3HD. He was a character with hopes and ambitions and damn it I wish I could have finished his story.
The campaign broke. We were given an artifact called the "RNG stick" which could change the properties of items, on a die roll, 50 being neutral and above being good, below being bad. We hit a pair of huge iron doors, rolled a 94 and made them platinum. We then dropped the plan and stole the doors. From there everything got out of hand. Arata was a Kalastar, giving him access to Quori shards, and he had them made without the 3/day limitation. So dumping most of my share into shards, maxing out my int and having an insane amount of magical defenses, he was basically immortal and the second strongest being in the world. This is the character which took out an Ancient green dragon in a single round by taking 3 standard actions and a swift and dropping 800 damage on its head. Favorite moment was finally getting our demiplane with a huge time shift. 1 round on the material plane was a week on our plane, so we all jumped to venerable age, and used it in combat to planeshift out, heal and recharge pp, then planeshift back.
I probably liked Niv more, but had more fun with Arata. Several million gold with do that to a character.

Ruethgar
2015-06-22, 10:30 PM
Jivens Ulshar. A human skull who was intended to power a golem but became a Bone Creature by magical mishap. He was driven mad by his undead birth, and was eventually able to develop some magical power and escape. He focused on enchantment and mental manipulation. It was fun messing with people's heads. He even had a raven familiar that only knew Infernal, because what other language would you teach a black bird carrying a human skull with glowing red eyes? He started off as more of an occasionally helpful prankster but slowly got darker. He ended up being built into a belt and would Mind Rape anyone who wore it over time to mimic his own warped psyche. Eventually he managed to possess a powerful Psion and went on a murder spree forcing the party to hunt him down.

The Psion, Adrian Blackbone, was a child made into a Bone Creature after his untimely demise from Wailing Death. Instead of curing as many of the townspeople as they could, the clergy of Pelor sealed the town to let the disease run its course in quarantine. When Adrian was driven to madness by Jivens, this betrayal was the driving factor of his murder spree and he decimated a dozen towns worth of temples before being stopped.

Edit:

This is brilliant! I love surprise recursive plots. But is it actually doable? I'm admittedly not an expert in Shadowcraft Mage's stuff (even though I know that they can create things like 140% real illusions), but I don't see how it's possible to create shadow PCs: even copying stuff like Summon Monsters, which you can use to create sentient shadow creatures, how do you create a sentient shadow human, dwarf, orc, elf, halfling or whatnot? You could create any of those with normal illusions, but you'd end up creating puppets that act at your whim and thus cannot "suddenly realize" anything unless you order them to.

You can Shadow Conjuration Summon Undead and manipulate them to be what you want from there at least to some degree. Still limited options. Also Awakened Animals have ELC and you may be able to work it from that angle from the summon monster line.

Riculf
2015-06-23, 07:20 AM
Ryback Rhinkainen (Barbarian/Full Storm Giant Bloodline/Psychic Warrior/Prodigy of Strength/Primeval). A character that was ostensibly human for the most part, until higher levels. I'd always enjoyed the superhero genre so I tried to recreate a "Hulk"-like character. He was allowed to have Powerful Build and was also allowed to use it when in Primeval form. As a house rule his form was a protohumanoid based on the stats for a Skullcrusher Ogre. He can use Improved Expansion and Primeval form to become "effectively" Colossal in size (with a Gargantuan Greatsword or Superior Unarmed Strike). A bit of a glass cannon if I'm honest but fun smushing everything within 20 feet in one round :smallbiggrin:

Roga
2015-06-24, 02:02 PM
Here's a handful of my favorites.
Oren was a Warforged Artificer who was obsessed with discovering the key to artificial life. After many fun adventures with various golems, he discovered two great secrets of golem crafting: How to make them intelligent (Dragon Magazine on Frankenstein) and how to make them indistinguishable from human (PrC adapted from the Muse of Kingdoms of Kalimar). Eventually he started making people, real people, that were still fiercely loyal to him, but could pass as human. Long after he was retired as a PC he returned as an NPC that had taken to replacing people in power to build up a huge network of spies and power players. Eventually a group started discovering them and the PC's were tasked with rooting them out.

Memorable moment: The party's necropolitan monk using Life Sight (from Libris Mortis) to discover that a young prince was in fact an Orenite. When discovered it led to a super powered fist fight between him and the child. Several broken walls and bones later he was found with the young prince's body and unable to prove his story.

A Changeling Ranger/Mole/Horizon Walker, he specialized in infiltration. Acting more like a rogue, Doth would sneak undetected with Dark Stalker, burrow through stone, or dimension door at will to get in and out of anywhere. Wildly fun to RP with and in combat.

Memorable moment: He finally got caught sneaking into a noble's house to plant incriminating evidence, and was captured by a Hellbreaker(Fiendish Codex II) with stowaway to pursue him when he BAMF'd. Shackled with restraints that dimensionally anchored him, he was thrown in the dungeon to await trial. He promptly burrowed out of the stone walls. :smallbiggrin:

A changeling Factotum/Chameleon, with an emphasis on being a Jack of All Trades. Cadre would sell not only his versatile skills, but also the fame of his actions. He would often go on quests assuming the identity, mannerisms, and archetype of the person who hired him. It's one thing to drive off bandits as a group of heroes, but what keeps them from coming back after the heroes leave? Driving off the bandits as the Mayor of said town. So many great RP sessions with him, and I never got bored of him since I got to be so many different people with different styles.

Memorable moment: A paladin friend of the party was murdered by a cleric from his order. The cleric was a cult leader who, at the paladin's funeral, was casting all the blame and suspicions onto the paladin. At which point the paladin, Cadre is disguise, gets up and challenges him. Using surprise, a show of divine power, and serious intimidation to get a confession from the cleric in front of the whole town. It was a great moment of vindication for the party. We all really liked the paladin, and we felt we got justice for him. :smallsmile: