PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Non-magical Gadgets

HockeyPokeyBard
2015-06-21, 04:34 AM
I am going to play a Bounty Hunter in a campaign very soon and I have noticed a considerable lack of gadgets compared to, say, 3.X or other systems. So I am looking for suggestions fluff wise on how to expand my arsenal without using magic. Things like smoke bombs, flashbangs, tracer bolts, tazers, explosives, that kind of thing. Thank you in advance

Gurka
2015-06-21, 04:57 AM
Quicklime is good. Easiest mechanical equivalent for it would be alchemist's fire, but it's a powder that has a violent exothermic reaction with water. So much so that even contact with flesh will cause it to burn you badly. It's made from limestone or seashells, cooked down in a kiln. Then you have to seal it up in airtight pots (prolonged exposure to air, and it will lose potency). It was used by various cultures as far back as Greek times as a weapon, and when in contact with water (or eyes/skin), it heats to around 300 degrees. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it can be used to render tainted water biologically inert and safe for drinking. Not so good for the taste, I imagine though.

Crossbows rigged to shoot lead slugs rather than bolts would also be good for taking targets alive.

Use poisons when you can, to render targets unconscious.

Cary lots of Manacles, and get them made really well, so a good role on a STR check isn't gonna break em.

Also chili powders are good for incapacitating folks. Medieval Mace.

Slipperychicken
2015-06-21, 11:26 AM
Don't forget the basics like lassos and nets.

Also, getting a KO is easier than ever; upon a melee hit which brings a target to zero hit points, you can simply choose to knock the target unconscious (and stable) instead of trying to kill him. This renders a lot of nonlethal options unnecessary.

Mjolnirbear
2015-06-21, 11:52 AM
One of my faves has always been tanglefoot bags, but I'm not sure theres a point if we have nets.

A netlauncher if your campaign is technological enough.

darkscizor
2015-06-21, 12:08 PM
I am going to play a Bounty Hunter in a campaign very soon and I have noticed a considerable lack of gadgets compared to, say, 3.X or other systems. So I am looking for suggestions fluff wise on how to expand my arsenal without using magic. Things like smoke bombs, flashbangs, tracer bolts, tazers, explosives, that kind of thing. Thank you in advance

Flashbang: Thrown range 40, all creatures within 10ft. of the landing spot are stunned for a turn if they fail a DC10 CON save.

Smoke Bomb: This vial contains two potent chemicals, which mix upon contact with air and replicate the effects of an Eversmoking Bottle, lasting for 3 rounds.

Taser (melee) : make a weapon attack, tbe taser deals 1 lightning damage and knocks the target unconsious on a failed DC16 CON save, ranged versions essentially have reach

HockeyPokeyBard
2015-06-21, 06:50 PM
These are all good. Keep 'em coming! Also thought I'd mention I am adding lead crossbow bolts to my arsenal to prevent casters from using spells until they pull out the bolt (I know that may not be in the books but its an old house rule that pretty much everyone in my city uses)

Sindeloke
2015-06-21, 07:21 PM
Cary lots of Manacles, and get them made really well, so a good role on a STR check isn't gonna break em.

For extra flavor points, ask your DM if you can treat your manacles as a flail in combat (a la the old Justicar PrC). If s/he says yes, see if you can use them to grapple (or at least try to lock them on someone while in a grapple).

Slipperychicken
2015-06-21, 07:52 PM
For extra flavor points, ask your DM if you can treat your manacles as a flail in combat (a la the old Justicar PrC). If s/he says yes, see if you can use them to grapple (or at least try to lock them on someone while in a grapple).

Fixing someone into manacles during a grapple should be at most an action, plus the normal grapple contest [i.e. str(athletics) vs str(athletics) or dex(acrobatics)].