PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Wizards and/or expanding sorcerer spells list.

Ken Murikumo
2015-06-21, 12:43 PM
As the title implies: are there any EASY ways to make a wizard a true (or close to true) spontaneous caster? I know i could divine my spell for the next day, and there's a few class features and feat combos that give you a small degree of spontaneity, like mage of the AO and the spontaneous divination feats.

Alternatively, how about expanding a sorcerer spell list? I saw somewhere there was a way to throw money at that problem, and also a class from sandstorm that adds to your spells list.

gorfnab
2015-06-21, 02:03 PM
The Easy Bake Wizard Handbook in my signature lists ways to set up a wizard to be a pseudo spontaneous caster.

Evolved Shrimp
2015-06-21, 02:22 PM
There are some options for expanding the “spells known” list of a sorcerer.

The Sand Shaper prestige class from Sandstorm gives you access to about 45 spells for a one-level dip. The list is fixed and desert-themed, though, and the higher-level spells are of questionable value, so check whether it’s worth it to you.

Dragon 333 (p93) offers a way to throw gold at the problem: For 1000 gp times spell-level squared, you can treat any sorcerer spell as a spell known by getting a knowstone for that spell.

There are two feats that let you cast spells from a staff using your own spell slots, without using up charges of the staff. In effect, you can treat the spells in the staff as spells known. (With a good UMD bonus, you can even use spells not on the sorcerer list, including divine spells.) By crafting your own staffs, you can taylor them to your needs.

The better of the two feats is Master Staff from the Epic Level Handbook, which lets you use spell slots of the same level as the spell in the staff, but is available only to epic characters. The Channel Charge feat from Lost Empires of Faerûn is available to mid-level characters, but they must use a spell slot one level higher.

Ellowryn
2015-06-21, 02:29 PM
There is the Magelord PrC from LEoF, part of its class features is giving you the Spell Mastery feat a bunch of times and then letting you spontaneously cast any of those spells.

(Funny how LEoF has a bunch of stuff for making Wizards spontaneous, maybe Wizards have gotten weaker over the eons.)

Grooke
2015-06-21, 02:40 PM
Signature spell allows you to spontaneity with one spell (hurray!)

Shadowcraft Mages with signature spell (Silent Image) can basically spontaneously cast any Evocation/Conjuration(creation/summoning) spell.

schreier
2015-06-21, 03:15 PM
Uncanny Foresight is the go to I think ...

Exemplars of evil

Grooke
2015-06-21, 03:21 PM
I believe you meant Uncanny Forethought

2xMachina
2015-06-21, 04:27 PM
Spontaneous casting (acf or Uncanny forethought) + Versatile Spell caster.