PDA

View Full Version : 0-level Adventurers

darkscizor
2015-06-21, 01:13 PM
I know that this has been addressed tons of times before, but I want to try my hand at making 0-level characters.

HP: One class HD plus your CON. modifier

XP: -150 (become a lv. 1 character at 0XP, OR as a milestone when your character completes their first adventure)

Speed: as race

Proficiency Bonus: +1

Skills and proficiencies: 1 skill of your choice, 1 weapon proficiency of your choice, and 1 tool proficiency of your choice

Starting equipment: 2d6 gp worth of trade goods and/or mundane adventuring gear, in addition to common clothing

Languages: As of race

Stats: Assign the following scores: 13, 12, 11, 10, 10, and 8, and add racial modifiers. Humans gain a +1 to three stats of your choice as a 0-level character instead of a +1 to all stats, and racial score bonuses can add a max. of +1 to a score.

Classes:

Warrior, Class HD 1d8 (for those who will become fighters, barbarians, rangers, monks, and paladins): Gain 1 simple weapon and leather armor or a martial weapon costing 15gp or less, in addition to a +1 to attack rolls. You also regain 1 HD of HP at the end of a short rest.

Arcane Caster, Class HD 1d4 (for those who will become a wizard, bard, warlock, or sorcerer): Gain a spellcasting focus and the ability to cast one cantrip and the ability to cast a 1st level spell ¥ times(min. 1), all spells have to be on the spell list of the class you're going into. You regain all lost uses of your spell after taking a short rest.

Divine Caster, Class HD 1d6 (for those who will become a cleric or druid): You gain a spellcasting focus and choose a level-one spell from the class you're going into, and have the ability to cast it ¥+2 times. You regain all lost daily uses of your spell after taking a short rest.

Sneaky Hobbitses, Class HD 1d6 (for those who will become a rogue): Gain a simple light weapon and the sneak attack rogue class feature with a 1d4 sneak attack die (useable once per 2 rounds)

For casting classes:

Spell Attack Bonus: ¥+Prof. Bonus
Spell Save DCs: 6+¥+Prof. Bonus

¥=The spellcasting modifier stat of the class you're going into

So, any thoughts? Did I put too much thought into this, or is there something I missed? What can I do to improve this?

Elbeyon
2015-06-21, 01:20 PM
The best a person can get is +2 while the worst is -1. And, this modifies a dice that is has 10 to 20 times more impact than the players choice? This system is basically just handing people a d20* and saying roll it.

*plus some near worthless class features.

darkscizor
2015-06-21, 01:35 PM
The best a person can get is +2 while the worst is -1. And, this modifies a dice that is has 10 to 20 times more impact than the players choice? This system is basically just handing people a d20* and saying roll it.

Well, the point of having low modifiers and weak "class features" is that they have little to no experience adventuring. With a potiential max. of +3 on a skill check or attack roll and +2 to damage, they are a step above normal commoners (in the MM NPC section) but a step below seasoned adventurers. It's a slightly better NPC commoner that PCs play as with a few customization options, and they may have to do this to become level-one adventurers. Remember, they're level 0, so all those "worthless" class options are actually pretty balanced for them. Now, all he have to do is hunt down those housecats terrorizing the village, and we'll be up to level one...

Once a Fool
2015-06-21, 01:42 PM
So, does a 0-level medium creature lose hit points by gainin a level in wizard or the like?

darkscizor
2015-06-21, 01:47 PM
So, does a 0-level medium creature lose hit points by gainin a level in wizard or the like?

Well, you would just create a level-one character of the class you're leveling to 1 in.

Once a Fool
2015-06-21, 01:51 PM

Well, you would just create a level-one character of the class you're leveling to 1 in.

So, potentially, yes?

mrfish
2015-06-21, 01:55 PM
I like it, reminds me of the fantastic "Commoner Joe" thread on the WOTC forums.

Will class abilities be added to this when they gain enough exp to reach 1st, or will the abilities replace these? Can they change their class, or the class they were supposed to enter, later. As in a warrior becoming a Wizard? Its balanced enough to serve its purpose I think, but why do you want them to start at 0th level, and how many sessions do you plan on them staying 0th level?

Do you plan to let them increase their ability score when they reach 1st, either way I think I would let them start with, at least 13 12 11 10 10 8, allowing them to increase one score to +2 modifier. Too much is left to chance if they start too low, and there are few situational modifiers that they can take advantage of in 5th. Anyway Id readily deal out inspiration points and allow them to get advantage.

darkscizor
2015-06-21, 02:10 PM
So, potentially, yes?

Potentially, yes, but only a little- There's a .25 chance of rolling a 7 or 8 for a medium creature's HP, and if you don't change your CON score, you can lose 1-2 HP. However, you can only potentially lose HP when playing as a wizard or sorcerer, and you will have higher scores to put into CON anyways, so there's also a good chance of being able to have the same HP.

I like it, reminds me of the fantastic "Commoner Joe" thread on the WOTC forums.

Will class abilities be added to this when they gain enough exp to reach 1st, or will the abilities replace these? Can they change their class, or the class they were supposed to enter, later. As in a warrior becoming a Wizard? Its balanced enough to serve its purpose I think, but why do you want them to start at 0th level, and how many sessions do you plan on them staying 0th level?

Do you plan to let them increase their ability score when they reach 1st, either way I think I would let them start with, at least 13 12 11 10 10 8, allowing them to increase one score to +2 modifier. Too much is left to chance if they start too low, and there are few situational modifiers that they can take advantage of in 5th. Anyway Id readily deal out inspiration points and allow them to get advantage.

Well, the point of level-0 classes is so that you can choose your class for later on and get benefits early on in the game because of that. As a warrior, you can later become a barbarian, fighter, monk, paladin, or ranger, but not a wizard or other class. They can have new ability scores at level 1, because at that point they are rolling up 1st level characters from scratch, keeping nothing mechanical of their old class. The thing about the 13 score is noted and fixed- I made a mistake and put in the wrong scores.

Elbeyon
2015-06-21, 02:16 PM
Well, the point of having low modifiers and weak "class features" is that they have little to no experience adventuring. With a potiential max. of +3 on a skill check or attack roll and +2 to damage, they are a step above normal commoners (in the MM NPC section) but a step below seasoned adventurers. It's a slightly better NPC commoner that PCs play as with a few customization options, and they may have to do this to become level-one adventurers. Remember, they're level 0, so all those "worthless" class options are actually pretty balanced for them. Now, all he have to do is hunt down those housecats terrorizing the village, and we'll be up to level one...Level 1 is already pathetically weak. Level 0 isn't required to have extremely weak PCs. Level 1 can already be no adventuring experience. When a person is level 7 they can look back and say, "Dam. I really had no clue what I was doing. Now, that I can bounce swords off my breasts I realize how crappy I must have looked."

1Forge
2015-06-21, 06:38 PM
Level 1 is already pathetically weak. Level 0 isn't required to have extremely weak PCs. Level 1 can already be no adventuring experience. When a person is level 7 they can look back and say, "Dam. I really had no clue what I was doing. Now, that I can bounce swords off my breasts I realize how crappy I must have looked."

Dude its not required but it's nice, commoners have 10 in all stats and comparitively the adventurer stats are op. Besides it's nice for introductory games for starting a story when these lvl 0 commoners, or trainees before they do something that sets them apart. For example not every guard is a fighter, fighters are experts, but we dont all start experts so this could be good for story purposes. (its like a prolouge to a book, its not needed but it can be nice)

I used something like this once and it worked great, we had a lvl 0 guy (going paladin) whos daughter was kidnapped, his farmer who hadnt fought a day in his life found a spear and went to rescue her from the undead horde. (he failed but it was still fun) he was then saved by some clerics and paladins who saved him right before he turned undead himself. It was fun and couldnt be accomplished the same way with a 1st level character.

Elbeyon
2015-06-21, 06:49 PM
Dude its not required but it's nice, commoners have 10 in all stats and comparitively the adventurer stats are op. Besides it's nice for introductory games for starting a story when these lvl 0 commoners, or trainees before they do something that sets them apart. For example not every guard is a fighter, fighters are experts, but we dont all start experts so this could be good for story purposes. (its like a prolouge to a book, its not needed but it can be nice)

I used something like this once and it worked great, we had a lvl 0 guy (going paladin) whos daughter was kidnapped, his farmer who hadnt fought a day in his life found a spear and went to rescue her from the undead horde. (he failed but it was still fun) he was then saved by some clerics and paladins who saved him right before he turned undead himself. It was fun and couldnt be accomplished the same way with a 1st level character.You want something weaker than extremely extremely weak? A lot of animals can take out a commoner in one attack and these rules would allow for the same thing. A rat would pose a serious threat to these stats. A single normal, tiny sized rat has a chance to kill a PC in a one on one fight. A rat could literally chew the pc to death before the hero could defeat it.

1Forge
2015-06-21, 10:06 PM
Only if the party sucked a rats not a big deal. Also Like i said it would be temporary mainly for story purposes, heck a rat might level a party up.

Elbeyon
2015-06-21, 10:47 PM
I said a single hero. But, the characters do suck. That is why these rules were created. To make PC's suck.

And, no it wouldn't level up a person. A rat gives 10 xp. A person would have to fight 15 rats to level up and by that point they'd be dead.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-22, 09:55 AM
I know that this has been addressed tons of times before, but I want to try my hand at making 0-level characters.

HP: 1d8 (1d6 if a small character) plus your CO modifier

XP: -150 (become a lv. 1 character at 0HP)

Skills and proficiencies: 1 skill of your choice and 1 tool proficiency of your choice

Starting equipment: 10gp worth of trade goods and/or mundane adventuring gear, in addition to common clothing

Stats: Assign the following scores: 13, 12, 11, 10, 10, and 8, and add racial modifiers. Humans gain a +1to three stats of your choice as a 0-level character, and racial score bonuses can add a max. of +1 to a score.

Classes:

Warrior (for those who will become fighters, barbarians, rangers, monks, and paladins): Gain 1 simple weapon and leather armor or a martial weapon costing 15gp or less, in addition to a +1 to attack rolls

Arcane Caster (for those who will become a wizard, bard, warlock, or sorcerer): Gain an arcane focus and the ability to cast one cantrip and the ability to cast a 1st level spell ¥ times(min. 1)/day, all spells have to be on the spell list of the class you're going into, Spell attack bonus

Divine Caster (for those who will become a cleric or druid): You gain a spellcasting focus and choose a level-one spell from the class you're going into, and have the ability to cast it ¥+2 times per day.

Sneaky Hobbitses (for those who will become a rogue): Gain a simple light weapon and the sneak attack rogue class feature with a 1d4 sneak attack die once per 2 rounds

For casting classes:

So, any thoughts? Did I put too much thought into this, or is there something I missed? What can I do to improve this?

It's very cool, but you made some mistakes. For casting classes the spell atacks bonus isn't balanced with the save DCs
If they become lv. 1, they still have low stats.
Maybe a 1d8 hit dice for warrior, 1d6 for the divine caster and the hobbitses and 1d4 for the other caster.

critter3of4
2015-06-22, 11:15 AM
Have you checked out Rise of Heroes ($4 PDF at DrivethruRPG)?

It's a 0 level adventure designed for 5th Edition. I picked it up but never used it.

Estrillian
2015-06-22, 02:14 PM
I said a single hero. But, the characters do suck. That is why these rules were created. To make PC's suck.

And, no it wouldn't level up a person. A rat gives 10 xp. A person would have to fight 15 rats to level up and by that point they'd be dead.

While I understand having a 150xp requirement for Level 1 (based on the 300xp for Level 2), I assume you want to do this because you think low level is fun and you'd like to play out how characters become heroes for the first time. For this reason, since 150xp is only an encounter or two, you might well want a bigger threshold, so that you can properly get to know the characters. Even if you are just looking at a single session at Level 0 the system pretty much expects 5-8 encounters in that time, not 2. Maybe better just to ignore the XP and do a milestone at the end of the session to get to Level 1?

It might also be nice to see these basic classes have something more to do with short rests, other than heal with their single hit die. For example maybe give the Caster a spell book only containing cantrips, and give them slots for cantrip casting (I know that cantrips are usually at will, but these people haven't reached that level yet), then let them recover the slots in a short rest. Maybe let warriors spend an extra hit dice on healing (like really low powered second wind) in a rest?

darkscizor
2015-06-22, 03:30 PM
It's very cool, but you made some mistakes. For casting classes the spell atacks bonus isn't balanced with the save DCs
If they become lv. 1, they still have low stats.
Maybe a 1d8 hit dice for warrior, 1d6 for the divine caster and the hobbitses and 1d4 for the other caster.

Hit dice noted and added.

While I understand having a 150xp requirement for Level 1 (based on the 300xp for Level 2), I assume you want to do this because you think low level is fun and you'd like to play out how characters become heroes for the first time. For this reason, since 150xp is only an encounter or two, you might well want a bigger threshold, so that you can properly get to know the characters. Even if you are just looking at a single session at Level 0 the system pretty much expects 5-8 encounters in that time, not 2. Maybe better just to ignore the XP and do a milestone at the end of the session to get to Level 1?

It might also be nice to see these basic classes have something more to do with short rests, other than heal with their single hit die. For example maybe give the Caster a spell book only containing cantrips, and give them slots for cantrip casting (I know that cantrips are usually at will, but these people haven't reached that level yet), then let them recover the slots in a short rest. Maybe let warriors spend an extra hit dice on healing (like really low powered second wind) in a rest?

Short Rests added for three classes, Milestone XP (optional) noted and added.

Flashy
2015-06-22, 05:37 PM
It's worth pointing out that any Vuman with either ritual spell caster or magic initiate is approximately as good a caster as any other character with one of the magic 0th level classes.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-25, 09:25 AM
It's worth pointing out that any Vuman with either ritual spell caster or magic initiate is approximately as good a caster as any other character with one of the magic 0th level classes.

Euhm, yeah, you're right, but a variant human with magic initate is as good as a warlock at first level.
If you look at the magic.

Knaight
2015-06-25, 03:12 PM
Commoners have an average of 10 in their stats (actually 10.5), nowhere does it suggest that they are all so homogeneous that they literally have straight 10 down the line. As for adventurers being overpowered, look at the stats for guards and the like. They don't have class levels, but are routinely in the 2-5 level range power wise. Level 1 characters are already not particularly impressive.

Alternately, from a capability standpoint consider what characters with commoner level points in games like GURPS can do. It's routinely more impressive than a 1st level D&D character, despite being from a game which isn't built for high power and in which a veritable weapons master and hardened veteran is equivalent to a pretty low level character in some regards.

Yagyujubei
2015-06-25, 03:33 PM
honestly if you want to have a "pre-adventurer" component to your campaign, I would just do it without any stats and just have a session or two of 100% RP where you do mostly character building and setup of the main antagonist of the campaign, then do combat by just using a d100 to determine hits or misses, and have your descriptions of whats going on be really visceral.

I say this because if they aren't even adventurers yet, then why would you try to put them into the mechanical system for heroic style adventuring?

TheOOB
2015-06-28, 03:20 AM
Honestly I see level one characters as "pre-adventurer's" They're basically normal people with a few extra abilities showing they've just starting on their road, and level 1 and 2 on average will only last one session each. You're not really a fully member of your class until level 5, and you're not even really that exceptional until level 3.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-28, 06:59 AM
Honestly I see level one characters as "pre-adventurer's" They're basically normal people with a few extra abilities showing they've just starting on their road, and level 1 and 2 on average will only last one session each. You're not really a fully member of your class until level 5, and you're not even really that exceptional until level 3.

Dude, a monk can at first level just hit two people down, with his fists in one turn... (with 1d4+3 damage without rolling)
A barbarian can take easily a guard down with 1 hit (like 2d6+3), but a guard has to hit him like 4/5 times in a rage.
These are just examples

They aren't pre-adventurer's, they are allready adventurers, they're pre-heros

TheOOB
2015-06-28, 12:11 PM
The NPC's in the monster manual show that regular people can be pretty tough. A 1/8 CR guard has 11 hp and +3 to hit, which isn't that bad, close to a player in fact. Most of the players ability at level 1 is more a function of their equipment than their class abilities.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-28, 12:46 PM

HP: One class HD plus your CON. modifier

XP: -150 (become a lv. 1 character at 0XP, OR as a milestone when your character completes their first adventure)

Skills and proficiencies: 1 skill of your choice, 1 weapon proficiency of your choice, and 1 tool proficiency of your choice

Starting equipment: 2d6 gp worth of trade goods and/or mundane adventuring gear, in addition to common clothing

Stats: Assign the following scores: 13, 12, 11, 10, 10, and 8, and add racial modifiers. Humans gain a +1 to three stats of your choice as a 0-level character instead of a +1 to all stats, and racial score bonuses can add a max. of +1 to a score.

Classes:

Warrior, Class HD 1d8 (for those who will become fighters, barbarians, rangers, monks, and paladins): Gain 1 simple weapon and leather armor or a martial weapon costing 15gp or less, in addition to a +1 to attack rolls. You also regain 1 HD of HP at the end of a short rest.

Arcane Caster, Class HD 1d4 (for those who will become a wizard, bard, warlock, or sorcerer): Gain a spellcasting focus and the ability to cast one cantrip and the ability to cast a 1st level spell ¥ times(min. 1), all spells have to be on the spell list of the class you're going into. You regain all lost uses of your spell after taking a short rest.

Divine Caster, Class HD 1d6 (for those who will become a cleric or druid): You gain a spellcasting focus and choose a level-one spell from the class you're going into, and have the ability to cast it ¥+2 times. You regain all lost daily uses of your spell after taking a short rest.

Sneaky Hobbitses, Class HD 1d6 (for those who will become a rogue): Gain a simple light weapon and the sneak attack rogue class feature with a 1d4 sneak attack die (useable once per 2 rounds)

For casting classes:

Looks great

It is still better then a commoner.

Well, the point of having low modifiers and weak "class features" is that they have little to no experience adventuring. With a potiential max. of +3 on a skill check or attack roll and +2 to damage, they are a step above normal commoners (in the MM NPC section) but a step below seasoned adventurers. It's a slightly better NPC commoner that PCs play as with a few customization options, and they may have to do this to become level-one adventurers. Remember, they're level 0, so all those "worthless" class options are actually pretty balanced for them. Now, all he have to do is hunt down those housecats terrorizing the village, and we'll be up to level one...
True

Sometimes

Euhm, yeah, you're right, but a variant human with magic initate is as good as a warlock at first level.
WTF, he totally isn't. It depends on which class, but 1 spell slot a day for 1 spell and a cantrip I think is very weak. A Warlock can get free Temporary HP on a kill(Fiend), and much other stuff I don't recall clearly. A Warlock is much stronger then a feat...

Dude, a monk can at first level just hit two people down, with his fists in one turn... (with 1d4+3 damage without rolling)
A barbarian can take easily a guard down with 1 hit (like 2d6+3), but a guard has to hit him like 4/5 times in a rage.
These are just examples

They aren't pre-adventurer's, they are allready adventurers, they're pre-heros
Your english man, however, lvl 1 characters only have 1 or 2 defining events which sometimes didn't even include doing anything, just experiencing.

Elbeyon
2015-06-28, 12:50 PM
It is still better then a commoner.But, worse than a noncommoner NPC.

1Forge
2015-06-28, 04:35 PM
But, worse than a noncommoner NPC.

Tats because those non-commoners have jobs that deal specifically with that. A guard trains harder then a farmer, if your guy was an experianced guard it would change.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-29, 09:30 AM
WTF, he totally isn't. It depends on which class, but 1 spell slot a day for 1 spell and a cantrip I think is very weak. A Warlock can get free Temporary HP on a kill(Fiend), and much other stuff I don't recall clearly. A Warlock is much stronger then a feat...

Your english man, however, lvl 1 characters only have 1 or 2 defining events which sometimes didn't even include doing anything, just experiencing.

You already told my English is bad, so shut up, you made your point, and it's clear you understand me. (you also make mistakes, it's much stronger THAN not much stronger THEN, and you don't say 'I think is very weak' but 'which I think is very weak' or something like that, now I'm going to continu talking about D&D).

And I know it's just experiencing, but where are you talking about, I didn't say it's NOT just about experiencing. I don't know what you want to say with this...

silverkyo
2015-07-10, 04:15 AM
I actually tried running something like this once before and I thought I'd share my take on it.

For me, I went even more simple for level 0, they didn't have a class or stats or anything, they were just regular characters. I introduced the main city, had them come up with names and why their character would be here, and used this to introduce the new players to role playing. The town was big enough that there was someone who could mentor them to be whatever they wanted, so they went out and explored and developed their characters and motivations, trying to get taken seriously by the local adventuring guild. End up doing a minor quest where they discover a goblin and had to use whatever they happened to find or obtained to fight with. They rolled, but I kept all the numbers in my head and abstracted everything and just gave them a feel for how hurt they were, and it really brought them in to the idea of their character and what they would be doing before we even looked at the book. And the goblin had a little plot hook medallion to lead to the first adventure arc0 We timeskipped ahead after that a little bit so they could train up to be level 1, but it was still a great level 0 experience.

The real question I would ask is why you want or need a level 0. If its to introduce new players to the game, fantastic, but I'd keep it simple. If they have to pick a class and roll stats that locks them into something later down the line, why not just have them pick a class and start level 1? What is your level 0 accomplishing at that point? The strongest thing you could do with a level 0 is to introduce your setting and characters before any commited choices are made, so if a player isn't sure what their character is or what they want to do they can build it up and find out. It's like college, try a few things, take that random art class, decide what you like before you really commit to that one particular thing, or in this case, class.