PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Ezekiel Stone: 5e Ranger/Rogue/Warlock

Mad Puppy
2015-06-21, 02:53 PM
Hello all,

I lurk here a bit but wanted to post a character concept I've been working on. It is a bit MAD, but Sounds fun to me. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to comment.

The concept here is a character based on the TV series “Brimstone” where the main character was Ezekiel Stone, a dead cop who was sent to hell (for murdering the man that raped his wife), is returned by the Devil to recover 113 escaped evil spirits. If Stone can recover all 113, then he'll be given a second chance at life...or so the Devil says. He is covered in the 113 names via tattoo’s in symbols that will evaporate as the evil spirit is vanquished back to Hell..

I'll use the standard stat array to start: (+1Dex, +1 Wis, +1Con(resilient))
Str:8, Dex:16, Con:14, Int:10, Wis:13, Cha: 14

I want a Martial Character with some bonuses to damage

Colossus Slayer (+1d8/Turn)
Sneak Attack (+1d6/scaling)
Assassinate (Advantage&Critical on surprize)

Also using Concentration heavy spells and Martial enhancing abilities like:

Hunter's Mark (+1d6/turn)
Ensnaring Strike (lockdown +damage/round)
Hex (+1d6/turn)
Armor of Agathy's (THP & damage to attacker, scaling)
Absorb Elements (elemental damage reducion and response)

I thought the Ranger would be a good start for the Favored enemies (abyssal), Fighting Style (two -weapon), tracking (Primeval Awareness). Ranger Archetype: Hunter and colossus Killer (1d8 extra damage/turn). Taking him to 3rd level in Ranger. Then enter a pact with the fiend (Grazz’zt, known for his devious and seductive nature) to oppose his enemies Demogorgon & Orcus. Who’s agents in the world Ezekiel hunts. Two more levels here to get my first couple Invocations (Devils Sight, and Armor of Shadows: Flavored to appear like the armor of Witchblade coming from his “gauntlet given by his pact) and the initial Fiend pact ability Dark one’s Blessing ( +4THP when reducing an enemy to zero HP). Next I add Rogue up to Level 3 (Assassin archetype). This adds Sneak attack damage (2d6), Expertise (Stealth & Perception), Cunning action, Disguise, poisoner kit, Assassinate (critical when surprised opponent).
From here I intend to continue primarily with Warlock; Blade Pact, more Invocations, and 5th level Rogue for the Extra ability score improvement/Feats and uncanny dodge.
I created a google doc of the build Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MiUeAUxhxnivmWwFXu58cOrC31y1KSl0bGulb5cYTFM/edit) I hope you like it.....

I anticipate in mele damage output is quite good:
dual wielding Short swords, Thirsting Blade&Lifedrinker, LEvel 3 hunter(colossus slayer) Level 5 rogue(assassin)
*this includes Sneak attack, Colossus, Hex or Hunter's mark)
1st attack: 1d6+3+1d6+3d6+1d8+2 [ave:24]
2nd attack: 1d6+3+3d6+2(Thirsting blade) [ave:17]
off hand attack: 1d6+3+3d6 [ave:15]
**if surprise is active X2!!

The THP from Fiend pact and armor of agathys, help to keep you running and discouraging others from damaging you.
Any opponent immune or resistant to mele damage could be an issue for this guy, but some of the Warlock spells and Eldritch blast can help there.
Key feats:
Resilient (human) Constitution for con saves
War caster
Dual wielder (+1 AC & increase weapons to rapiers 1d8)

optional feats:
tough (more HP's)
alert (+5 to initiative (helps assassin abilities)
observant (wis) perception boost (not totally necessary)

Comments are appreciated

djreynolds
2015-06-21, 07:21 PM
I like it, I made a paladin/ranger with strength. I think the build is sweet. Someone is gonna say do this or that to optimize it. But I like it. It feels natural.

I think once you get assassinate at third level you may want to stop taking rogue levels, or stop at 4 for ASI or 6 for another expertise. You have auto crit and cunning action by 3 levels of assassin.

For ranger, you will have to invest levels for it to be worth it. At least 5th level, for your attack and then maybe to 11 for volley and 12 for ASI.

That leaves at least 4 levels for warlock but up to 12. I'm not sure if hex will be affected by critical hits.

Anyhow, I like the build and concept. In the guide section here, there is a rouge build that has assassin as its chassis. "Death dealers Handbook". Very cool and informative. I think that warlock and paladin can connect too.

Mad Puppy
2015-06-21, 08:31 PM
I just checked out the Death dealer handbook.....some synergy with my idea here. Great ideas.
I use a Human bonus feat for the con saves and like the hunter abilities.
I see your point about stopping at level 3 with rogue, but I went for the ASI extra sneak attack die and the uncanny dodge ability.
I use the Warlock Fiend blade pact for the extra attack (though it is only for my pact weapon, I don't see when I wouldn't have one in use). and all those invocations and spells.
I like the Ranger spells better than the fighter abilities for this character concept and role play but it is really just personal opinion.

This has plenty of merit
Ranger3/rogue3/Warlock14
-->loses at least 1 ASI

I could see where I go fighter2/Rogue5/Warlock13
or
Fighter 5/Rogue15
-->Mage initiate feat for Hex, Eldritch Blast & blade ward more sneakeattack dice

djreynolds
2015-06-22, 12:20 PM
I think the author starts off with fighter to get that whole constitution save out of the way. I think the build he has with fighter/ assassin/ warlock might be up your alley. Grab half elf for charisma & darkvision, cause you'll have to wait five levels for warlock. Take outlander for survival and grab nature as your bonus. Maybe even history for character purpose. You could always snag a level of ranger or two. But I checked out the visual, really cool. Battle master helps out to, they are like free feats that you use when needed.

djreynolds
2015-06-22, 11:35 PM
Check out the "cold fire trilogy" character Gerald Tarrant. Might be up your alley.

JellyPooga
2015-06-23, 04:26 AM
I'd probably start with Rogue (I like having skill proficiencies), MC to Warlock for a couple of levels (probably only 2-3) to get Devil's Sight and Hex, then finish out on Rogue. Ranger doesn't really do a heck of a lot for this build, except for the flavour elements and most of those are easily substituted with an appropriate (Custom) Background.

Mad Puppy
2015-06-23, 04:55 PM
I'd probably start with Rogue (I like having skill proficiencies), MC to Warlock for a couple of levels (probably only 2-3) to get Devil's Sight and Hex, then finish out on Rogue. Ranger doesn't really do a heck of a lot for this build, except for the flavour elements and most of those are easily substituted with an appropriate (Custom) Background.

hmmm custom background? Hand't thought of that. The extra rogue levels prvide more sneak damage.....

I do like the spells the ranger has however, Like absorb elements from EE_players companion. Also Hunters mark is another Hex essentially (or just use the slot for Hex).
Though I didin't mention it I like the reaction stuff from the Warlock like Hellish rebuke, Fireshield as well.
But I do want to focus on the concentration spells provided I can maintain them (yes con saves helps but as a mele character there will be a lot of rolls in combat).
I like the flavor of the Warlock (Bladelock especially), I'm looking for a martial character with enhancements from the spells.

All good suggestions though and I'm definitely looking at that as well.

Mad Puppy
2015-06-23, 04:56 PM
Check out the "cold fire trilogy" character Gerald Tarrant. Might be up your alley.

I am not a prolific reader, but looking at the plot synopses I'm intrigued. Will have to add that to my E-reader list.
Thanks

djreynolds
2015-06-23, 05:15 PM
Asimov said if magic were real it would have to follow the laws of the universe or something like that. They came from an advanced civilization, but the planet fed on sorta psychic energy, doubts and hopes. Guns became useless became of the belief that something could go wrong in something so chemically complicated. Cool read back in the day, while in the back of a five ton.