PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Diablo 2 Classes

intregus
2015-06-21, 04:54 PM
I love D2 and Gothic horror d&d settings. I decided I'd attempt to use 5E and make subclasses for the D2 classes. Here are my first 2 sub classes the barbarian and amazon.

I think the barbarian is pretty solid and fluffed out but the amazon needs some help. Either way I'd like some feedback and constructive criticism!

Barbarian Subclasses
Arreat Warrior Path

Born Warriors
When you choose this path at 3rd level, you are able to use your chosen weapons of war more effectively. At third level you can choose between the Great Weapon or Two Weapon Fighting Styles (see page 72).

Boon of Bul-Kathos
Starting at 3rd level, you become proficient in heavy armor.

War Cry
Starting at 3rd level, you are able to channel your rage into a primal War Cry that terrifies your foes and bolsters your allies. You learn two war cries of your choice, which are detailed under "War Cries" below. You learn one additional war cry of your choice at 6th, 10th and 14th level.You can use a number of war cries per short rest equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum once).
Saving Throws. Some of your war cries require your target to make a saving throw to resist the war cry's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

War Cry save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Con modifier

Mountain Strength
Beginning at 6thth level when you adopt this path, the blood of your ancestry gives you strength beyond normal men, allowing you to wield weapons of tremendous size. You may treat all heavy and two-handed weapons as light and one handed weapons.

Leap
The distance you can jump is tripled.

Earthen Might
At 14th level, not even the power of the Prime Evils can deter you from your path. When raging, your speed cannot be reduced, you are immune to the prone condition, and you cannot be shoved or otherwise physically moved without your consent.

War Cries

Primal Howl- When raging, as an action you may erupt with a powerful yell, casting doubt into your enemies. Each creature in a 30 foot radius must succeed on
a Wisdom saving throw or drop whatever it is holding and become frightened for 1 minute.

While frightened by this ability, a creature must take the Dash action and move away from you by the safest available route on each of its turns, unless there is
nowhere to move. If the creature ends its turn in a location where it doesn't have line of sight to you, the creature can make a Wisdom saving throw. On a
successful save, the effect ends for that creature.

Fearless Taunt- As a bonus action you may taunt your enemies, boiling their blood and drawing their ire and causing them to wish to engage you in hand-to-hand combat. Enemies that don’t attack you have disadvantage while all melee and ranged attacks against you have advantage.

Lead Through Strength- Your own bravery encourages and inspires your allies to fight on against great pain and danger. When raging, as a bonus action can you inspire all allies within a 30 foot radius from you, granting each of them 10 temporary Hit Points. A creature can't gain temporary hit points from this ability again until it finishes a short or long rest.

Battle Orders- As a member of a warrior tribe, you have learned to provide inspiration to those around you and give insight in the heat of battle. As an action you can direct your allies in battle, giving all allies that can see and hear advantage on all attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Shout- You let out a warning to those around you of impending danger. As a reaction whenever the DM calls for a saving throw, you may use your reaction to give all allies that can hear you advantage on all Dexterity saves until the beginning of your next turn.

Grim Ward- You present your enemies with a totem you have made from the corpse of an enemy, causing them to reconsider their course of action, afraid to be the first to meet their death at your hand. When you are raging, as a bonus action you challenge your foes with a grim talisman causing all enemies within a 30 foot radius that can see you to make a Wisdom saving throw or have their speed reduced to 0 until the start of your next turn.

Battle Cry- In the height of your rage you let out an unsettling roar. When raging and when your current Hit Points are equal to or less than half of your Max Hit Points, you may use a bonus action to let out a Battle Cry. Each adjacent enemy must make a Wisdom saving throw or be stunned until the end of your turn.

Whirlwind- When whipped up into a frenzied rage, you become a whirling mass of muscle and weapon, cutting through your enemies in moments. When raging, as an action you attack your foes with vicious fury. Your movement this round is not prevented by enemy creatures of large or smaller size. You make 1 attack roll and compare it against each enemy creature's AC that you move through or move adjacent to at any time during your turn. On a hit, roll a number of dice you would normally roll. On a miss, each target takes half damage.

Fighter SubClass
The Amazon

At level 3 you can choose the Amazon Archetype. It allows you to choose two of the following Innate Divine Abilities at level 3 and then one additional Innate Divine Ability at levels 7, 10, 15, and 18. You can use an innate divine ability a number of times per short rest equal to ½ your fighter level + your wisdom modifier. ( so a level 4 fighter with a wisdom score of 14 would be able to use 4 innate divine abilities per short rest).
Innate Divine Ability DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your wis modifier

Evasion
At 7th level, your instinctive agility lets you dodge out o f the way o f certain area effects, such as a blue dragon’s lightning breath or a fireball spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Uncanny Dodge
Beginning at 10th level when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

Penetrate
Starting at 15th level you learn to see the weak points of your targets allowing your arrows to pierce through enemies. When you use a ranged weapon to make an attack within your normal range each creature in the line excluding you and the target must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw taking your normal attacks damage on a failed save and half as much on a successful one. Then make a normal ranged weapon attack against the target.

Improved Critical
Beginning at 18th level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

Innate Divine Abilities

Guided arrow- As a bonus action your gods martial prowess guides your ranged attacks to its target. Your ranged attacks automatically hit their target.

Ice Arrow-As a bonus action you imbue your ranged weapon attacks with the bitter cold. Along with dealing your normal weapon damage the target is also hit with the ray of frost spell.

Fire Arrow- As a bonus action you imbue your ranged weapon attacks with the fire. Along with dealing your normal weapon damage the target is also hit with the firebolt spell.

Slow missiles- You call upon your reflexes and divine guidance to illuminate all enemies who aren’t invisible within 60ft of you making their presence and location known to all who can see. Whenever one of these targets make a ranged weapon attack they do so at disadvantage. Concentration lasts 1 minute.

Inner Sight-You gain advantage on perception checks. Concentration up to 10 minutes.

Poison Javelin- Your thrown weapons are laced with a poison. The javelin streaks toward its target, leaving a trail of green vapor. If it hits, The enemy must make a constitution saving throw. On a failed save the javelin deals normal damage and the target creature may be poisoned. On a successful save the javelin deals ½ damage and the target is not poisoned.

Decoy-You cast the mirror image spell. Prerequisite 7th level.

Lightning Arrow- You cast the lightning arrow spell. Prerequisite 10th level.

Volley- You can use your action to make a ranged attack against any number o f creatures within 10 feet of a point you can see within your weapon’s range. You must have ammunition for each target, as normal, and you make a separate attack roll for each target. Prerequisite 10th level.

Whirlwind Attack- You can use your action to make a melee attack against any number o f creatures within 5 feet o f you, with a separate attack roll for each target. Prerequisite 10th level.

Valkyrie- You summon a Planetar to come and fight alongside you. Concentration up to 1 hour. You can’t use this Innate Divine Ability again until after you finish a long rest. Prerequisite 18th level.

Ralcos
2015-06-21, 05:34 PM
This is awesome!
I'd like to see your take on the Necromancer and the D3 Witch Doctor! :D

The Barbarian subclass seems pretty cool. Makes it so you could make Conan without resorting to the Battlemaster Fighter.

Amazons seem to be a bit overpowered to me, but I do like the concept of an archer who can make her own arrows.

intregus
2015-06-21, 09:18 PM
Awesome thank you!

The D2 necromancer was my favorite class in D2. for 5e and dnd in general though i made a different necromancer class instead of a subclass. it can be found here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?418341-Necromancer-Class

PotatoGolem
2015-06-23, 10:27 AM
I like the barbarian a lot- it was my favorite D2/D3 class, and your version really captures the flavor. My one criticism is that whirlwind attack is very confusingly written- I can't figure out what it actually does.

eleazzaar
2015-06-23, 11:44 PM
Beginning at 10th level when you adopt this path, the blood of your ancestry gives you strength beyond normal men, allowing you to wield weapons of tremendous size. You treat all heavy and two-handed weapons as light and one handed weapons.

So what? You no longer can qualify for feats and features that require heavy and/or two-handed weapons?

Or are there any? I think heavy is only referenced by small races. So basically a hobbit of this class can dual-wield greatswords.

PotatoGolem
2015-06-24, 12:13 AM
Well, it doesn't say they're no longer Heavy, so the GWM feat still applies. GWF style wouldn't though. And it is a big boost for TWF- you're literally doubling your damage die

intregus
2015-06-24, 11:10 PM
In d2 the barb could dual weild twohanded weapons. In d3 they gave them mighty weapons.

The idea is for the barb to be allowed to dual weild 2handed weapons.

I'm open to better wording!

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-25, 09:59 AM
In d2 the barb could dual weild twohanded weapons. In d3 they gave them mighty weapons.

The idea is for the barb to be allowed to dual weild 2handed weapons.

I'm open to better wording!

As cool as it is, it definitely boosts your damage quite a bit. However there is no numerical difference between a Berserker path barbarian with its free bonus swing. So offer an alternative that functions the same.

Allow them to dual wield any weapon they are proficient with while raging, when the rage is done they receive 1 level of exhaustion.

This way you get your results that function same as existing mechanics but give that TWF feel you want.

Wartex1
2015-06-25, 10:35 AM
Well, he doesn't get an ability score bonus and the wording may suggest that it doesn't benefit from GWM.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-25, 11:30 AM
Well, he doesn't get an ability score bonus and the wording may suggest that it doesn't benefit from GWM.

If you make it function the same as frenzy, I actually don't see and issue with them using those fighting styles. Maybe while raging you gain bonus effects based on your weapon style, because of this exertion using these features gives you 1 level of exhaustion when your rage ends.

TWF - You can use a heavy weapon in one hand. You can use dual wielding with any weapon that you have proficiency with to make an attack using your bonus action after making an attack action.

GWF - While wielding a heavy weapon you empower your swings with such force that your strikes that hit your opponent wear away even at legions. When you strike a creature with a heavy weapon attack in melee, other creatures or objects within 5ft of the target and your reach that you select take bonus damage equal 1d6 + Rage Bonus Damage, the damage from this ability is the same as the damage dealt by your weapon.

Depending on the power this presents, you might have to specify that the initial attack must still beat the nearby creatures AC. This might prevent you slaying a dragon just by smashing kobolds. Also written to keep the initial target from taking the cleaving damage.

intregus
2015-07-03, 05:32 PM
Beginning at 10th level when you adopt this path, the blood of your ancestry gives you strength beyond normal men, allowing you to wield weapons of tremendous size. You treat all heavy and two-handed weapons as light and one handed weapons.

So what? You no longer can qualify for feats and features that require heavy and/or two-handed weapons?

Or are there any? I think heavy is only referenced by small races. So basically a hobbit of this class can dual-wield greatswords.

If it said "Beginning at 10th level when you adopt this path, the blood of your ancestry gives you strength beyond normal men, allowing you to wield weapons of tremendous size. You MAY treat all heavy and two-handed weapons as light and one handed weapons." would that help? That way you could still qualify for feats and features.

What I really wish is that 5e would have kept weapon size categories from 3.5 that way I could just say "You may use weapons one size category larger than you could normally." that way you could also wield bigger two-handed weapons too.

intregus
2015-07-10, 06:32 PM
Updated the barbarian and changed wording on some abilities.

Here is the sorceress!

Sorcerous Origin: Zann Esu

Warmth
Beginning at 1st level you now regain a number of sorcery points equal to your charisma modifier after a short rest. You can't use this ability until after you finish a long rest

Magic Ex Nihilo
Beginning at 1st level You ignore all material components for casting spells.

Expanded knowledge
Beginning at 1st level your number of spells known increases. When determining how many spells you know look at the bard table on page 53 of the PHB under spells known and that's how many you know.

Elemental affinity
At level 6th you choose one element type between fire, ice, and lightning. You may add your charisma modifier to damage on spells of the chosen type. At the same time you can spend 1 sorcery point to gain resistance to that damage type for 1 hour.

Elemental Atunement
Beginning at level 14 you become more attuned with the forces of nature. You can control the nonmagical weather, temperature, and climate within a 15ft radius centered around you, even while unconscious. In addition you can also use a bonus action to spend 1 sorcery point to gain 1 of the following abilities.
Tremor sense- You gain tremorsense out to 30 ft for 1 minute.
Darkvision- You gain darkvision out to 60ft for 10 minutes.
Create or destroy water- You can cast the spell create or destroy water.

Elemental Mastery
Over the course of your life you have developed a mastery over one of the elements. Starting at 18th level you choose one element type between fire, ice, and lightning. You may give up your move action to gain advantage on damage rolls for spells of the chosen type. For example, if 6d6 points of damage are called for, a sorceress may chose to forgo her movement action that turn and rolls 6d6 twice and takes the roll with the highest total.

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 06:53 PM
That sorcerer origin is pretty overpowered.

intregus
2015-07-11, 11:50 AM
Which abilities and what should be changed to balance it?

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 11:58 AM
All the level one abilities. The rest aren't that bad, but the level one abilities are horrendous.

khadgar567
2015-07-11, 12:58 PM
All the level one abilities. The rest aren't that bad, but the level one abilities are horrendous.
actualy I think magic ex nihilo is were things get over powerfull eschew materials on level one with out gold limit count me in.

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 01:17 PM
The issue is that it doesn't specify free material components. It includes the expensive ones.

intregus
2015-07-11, 02:47 PM
The point of Magic Ex-nihilo is to remove any and all material components.....ex nihilo means from nothing.

Why is taking out material components to strong?

What if it was"
you ignore material components unless they have a cost at level one"
and then "you gain the ability to ignore ALL material components regardless of value for evocation spells" at level 14 or 18?

I can deal with getting rid of another ability like Warmth to help balance it out as well.

thoughts?

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 02:49 PM
True Ressurection for free.

Simalacrum for free.

A whole host of other spells... For free.

Maybe limit it to Sorcerer only spells? It's still pretty damn powerful.

intregus
2015-07-11, 09:39 PM
O OK.

I didn't even consider multi classing.

If I made it do you ignore all material components just for evocation spells found on the sorcerer spell list would that be too powerful?