PDA

View Full Version : Fun Spell Combinations

g3taso
2015-06-21, 08:21 PM
I just thought of Chill Touch with the metamagic feat Fell Drain. Bestow that by feat or spell on my nice Xill (Dread Skeleton and Advanced Creature templates). Now that undead critter will be making 4 touch attacks per round, doing 1d6 damage and a negative level every successful attack until all 10 wonderful dice and negative levels are bestowed. I can't wait to check that out in play :)

• Dread Skeleton (Dread Skeleton, Advanced Creature Templates), Male Xill Undead9 CR 8 ; Size: M Face: 5 ft. x 5 ft. Type Undead ( Evil, Extraplanar ); HD (9d10)+36; hp 82; Init +13 (+9 Dex, +4 Misc); Spd Walk 40 ft.; AC 21 (touch 19, flatfooted 12), *Shortsword +17/+12 0 ft./P (1d6+7 19-20/x2 Primary M ) or *Claw +17/+17/+17/+17 0 ft./PS (1d4+7 20/x2 Primary M ) or *Bite +16 0 ft./BP (1d3+7 20/x2 Off-hand M ); SA: Aligned (Evil), Darkvision (Ex), Grab (Ex), Implant (Ex), Multiweapon Mastery (Ex), Paralysis (Ex), Undead Traits, DR 10/bludgeoning, immunity to cold, unnatural aura (30’), channel resistance +2, Planewalk (Su), Spell Resistance 17, ; Vision: Darkvision (60 ft.) AL: NE; Sv: Fort +10, Ref +15, Will +8; STR 24, DEX 29, CON -, INT 20, WIS 17, CHA 19. Skills and Feats: Acrobatics +20, Appraise +6, Bluff +15, Climb +10, Diplomacy +5, Disable Device +11, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (Arcana) +16, Knowledge (Nobility) +13, Knowledge (Planes) +13, Perception +14, Profession (Gambler) +6, Profession (Soldier) +9, Sense Motive +14, Sleight of Hand +11, Spellcraft +9, Stealth +20, Survival +7, Use Magic Device +8; Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Weapon Focus (Claw, Sword (Short)). Possessions: 4 Shortsword, 1 Claw, 1 Bite Planewalk (Ex): A xill can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as a move action. Shifting from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane takes 2 consecutive full-round actions, during which time the xill is immobile. As a xill fades away, it becomes harder to hit: opponents have a 20% miss chance in the first round and a 50% miss chance in the second. A xill can take a single willing or helpless creature with it when it switches planes. Command Skeletons (Su): As a free action, a dread skeleton can automatically command all normal skeletons within 30 feet (as command undead). It can attempt to command skeleton warriors, but they get a Will save to resist (caster level equal to dread skeleton's total HD; save DC is Charisma-based). Normal skeletons never attack a dread skeleton unless compelled.

Anyone else think of a cool spell combo or other nifty trick?

Brova
2015-06-21, 08:36 PM
Not a combo per se, but many fun things can be done with simulacrum, particularly in conjunction with improved familiar for a Mirror Mephit. For example, if you are 14th level or higher, you can make an infinite army of mini-me clones to run around doing stuff for you.

permanency can also be fun, particularly with expansion options (like that spell that gives you a pile of energy damage on your weapon).

Pretty much any spell with material components that are doing something nonstandard (i.e. launch bolt or hide life) does fun/stupid/broken things if you have a way of ignoring material components.

fireball + fiery burst + circle magic is almost worth looking at, except that you're likely to be level 10+ can could just be casting save or dies. If it scaled the area, it would be worth talking about as an army cleaner.

sadism has some interesting uses. The basic trick is just to add it to your list of buffs for a polymorph/shapechange abusing character to funnel your damage into defenses. Or you could use apocalypse from the sky to deal a huge pile of damage to everything within a huge number of miles, then use your massive skill bonus to ... actually, there's not much except epic spellcasting. You can do a kinda cool thing were you use a blast to fuel an even bigger blast (like, size of the universe big).

Not really a spell (or a spell at all), but spell-stitched is an interesting template. IIRC, it requires you to have a sufficient level to be able to cast the spells you stitch, but not actually know or be able to cast them. So free spells known if you happen to be a sorcerer. Or access to any evocation, necromancy, or conjuration spell of 6th level or lower if you happen to have banned those schools as a Wizard.

If your base race is elf, you can chaos shuffle away your elf feats, kill yourself, get raised by true reincarnate, transform back into an elf with wish, and chaos shuffle again.

Rubik
2015-06-21, 09:19 PM
Explosive Spell on a casting of Explosive Runes. Since the area the spell affects is based on the distance someone can read it from, this means you can affect everything within a thousand mile radius or more if you make a large enough rune. Just construct a tarpaulin the size of the moon and cast Explosive Explosive Runes on it when in a 0g environment. Then drape it over the moon. Add Fell Drain instead for a nigh-guaranteed wightocalypse.

atemu1234
2015-06-21, 10:30 PM
Explosive Spell on a casting of Explosive Runes. Since the area the spell affects is based on the distance someone can read it from, this means you can affect everything within a thousand mile radius or more if you make a large enough rune. Just construct a tarpaulin the size of the moon and cast Explosive Explosive Runes on it when in a 0g environment. Then drape it over the moon. Add Fell Drain instead for a nigh-guaranteed wightocalypse.

... What has science magic done?

Bad Wolf
2015-06-21, 11:11 PM

Otherwise known as the D&D-style Infinite Tsukuyomi.

It's Infinite because everyone will be dead.

g3taso
2015-06-22, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Explosive Spell on a casting of Explosive Runes. Since the area the spell affects is based on the distance someone can read it from, this means you can affect everything within a thousand mile radius or more if you make a large enough rune. Just construct a tarpaulin the size of the moon and cast Explosive Explosive Runes on it when in a 0g environment. Then drape it over the moon. Add Fell Drain instead for a nigh-guaranteed wightocalypse.[/QUOTE]

I am so going to try that out. I just happen to have bought nice maps from a mapmaker in Halruaa. I bet I can get a nice 3'x5' piece of map paper in a nice case and everything. Large enough to read at 50', I bet. I like the idea of Fell Drain and a plague of critters, but a nice flame mod to burn a castle down might be amazing :)

martixy
2015-06-22, 08:06 PM

Yea... no.

For the few who are unaware of it: The infamous "Locate City" nuke.

Brova
2015-06-22, 08:14 PM

I am 99% certain this doesn't work. Explosive Spell says:

Explosive Spell can be applied only to spells that allow Refl ex saves and affect an area (a cone, cylinder, line, or burst).

explosive runes doesn't actually effect "a cone, cylinder, line, or burst". It effects "any other creature within 10 feet of the runes". Also, insofar as explosive runes has an area, it is that 10ft thing, not "as far as you can read it". The specific line you appear to be focusing on is "close enough to read them", which is a parenthetical modification of "next to the runes" rather than any actual definition of area.

noob
2015-06-22, 08:20 PM
Polymorph any object a black hole since the limit is volume it works because black holes does not have huge volumes as they are extremely compacted(you will probably also need trans-dimensional spell and to create a portal to the black hole because the range of polymorph any object is short).
Now you bring your black hole who have been morphed into a chicken to the place you want to annihilate and you go away with teleport.

Brova
2015-06-22, 08:32 PM
Polymorph any object a black hole since the limit is volume it works because black holes does not have huge volumes as they are extremely compacted(you will probably also need trans-dimensional spell and to create a portal to the black hole because the range of polymorph any object is short).
Now you bring your black hole who have been morphed into a chicken to the place you want to annihilate and you go away with teleport.

No need for all that. Just create a simulacrum, hand it a scroll of polymorph any object and deploy the world's most effective suicide bomber.

Also, simulacrum + invisible spell. On a related note, is there a way to apply metamagic feats to SLAs?

atemu1234
2015-06-22, 08:36 PM
No need for all that. Just create a simulacrum, hand it a scroll of polymorph any object and deploy the world's most effective suicide bomber.

Also, simulacrum + invisible spell. On a related note, is there a way to apply metamagic feats to SLAs?

Some of them have spell-like ability variants.

Brova
2015-06-22, 08:43 PM
Some of them have spell-like ability variants.

I know that, but as far as I'm aware that's only for Quicken and other core metamagics. I'm looking for something general so I can combine that, improved familar for a Mirror Mephit, and a 14th level character for an infinite (technically arbitrarily large) number of invisible simulacra. As it stands, you can have your Mirror Mephit familiar create a copy of you which is entitled to a Mirror Mephit familiar which can create a copy of you. That's very good, but I'd like the copies to be invisible, more for style points than anything else.

noob
2015-06-22, 08:51 PM
"No need for all that. Just create a simulacrum, hand it a scroll of polymorph any object and deploy the world's most effective suicide bomber.
Also, simulacrum + invisible spell. On a related note, is there a way to apply metamagic feats to SLAs? "

Who would want to blast an zone with no anti-magic fields?

Brova
2015-06-22, 09:02 PM
Who would want to blast an zone with no anti-magic fields?

Eh, just pump in some mass with a gate to the elemental plane of water. Gravity should do the rest.

Darkweave31
2015-06-22, 09:45 PM
Genesis to create a self contained demiplane filled with perpetually falling rocks (aka Paraelemental demiplane of falling rocks). Gate to the demiplane over the head of your target. Rocks fall. It's a fun prank among archmages.

ben-zayb
2015-06-22, 10:09 PM
Telekinesis (using violent thrust) + Greater Shadow Conjuration (Shalantha's Delicate Disk) + whatever the hell spell/s below level 5 that you want to sling around someone.

AKA Whatever-the-hell-spell/s-below-level-5-that-I-want-to-sling-around-ally-or-enemy Nova TM. Polymorph? Celerity? Fireball? Major Creation (BL extract)? Enervation? Orb of X? Greater Invisibility? Arcane Fusion? Sanctumed level 6 spells? All of these and more!

Heck, there should be an entire handbook on spell/feat/class feature combinations using Shalantha's Delicate Disk..

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-23, 04:42 PM

There is debate on whether or not a black hole is actually a singularity. If they aren't their volumes are huge. Also this seems like a needless murder of catgirls, but I hate them so *stamp of approval*