PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a Dark Hunter 5e Edition :-D

FatherLiir
2015-06-21, 08:53 PM
Greetings acquaintances! :smalltongue:

I've only been playing DnD for a few months now, started out with two separate TPKs in The Lost Mines of Phandelver with two different DMs right after that initial goblin ambush in the very beginning and then got into the Adventure League expeditions. Honestly even with my characters getting eaten by wolves, save my AL Warlock, I'm in love with the game and really wanted to try something new. I'm also a Dresden Files fan so the Archfey Pact was super flavorful to me. Anyways, I started looking for DnD official Fey stuff and for awhile was coming up dry until I found a series of articles on the Seelie and Unseelie courts as per Dungeons and Dragons (rather than Jim Butcher, or Shakespeare), written by two authors Gwendolyn F. M. Kestrel and Faith M. Price. If anyone is looking for these articles, the link is right here http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/fey

ANYWAYS, to the matter at hand, I thought that the Unseelie Court's Dark Hunter prestige class looked very fun and was curious if a similar thing could be done with an Archfey Pact Warlock, either straight through or Multiclassing into Ranger/Rouge/Dex Paladin, etc.

Information on the Dark Hunter Prestige Class can be found here http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a

And thank you for all the help that you guys/gals/intermediate gender roles that I have left out can deliver! :smallbiggrin:

Human Paragon 3
2015-06-21, 09:14 PM
My initial thought was to multiclass ranger with feypact warlock, but I think Barbarian or Vengeance Paladin is actually closer, since anyone can track just by using survival. Barbarian would give you fast movement and beast sense as a ritual. I'd go with the Wolf totem abilities since they make you a good team player and the entry you linked talks about hunting parties.

If you go with Paladin, you get some pretty good abilities for hunting people down, too. This might not be great fit though, since the Queen is chaotic and Vengeance Paladins are lawful (though why not have a lawful servant?).

Since you will be multiclassing with a class that gains extra attack at 5, blade pact is useless to you. I would recommend the pact that gives you the ritual book to expand your knowledge. I'm pretty sure you can use spells to make yourself and your mount faster. Warlock gives you dark vision. You should be good to go.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-22, 10:05 AM
I'd go for a paladin/ranger.

djreynolds
2015-06-22, 12:29 PM
I got another thread on paladin/ranger. I like it. No reason you can't grab assassin or warlock in the mix. Yes it's MAD, but have fun. I'd actually like to see him when he's done. Post a guide. I'm trying to make a spear wielding paladin ranger dragon killer. My problem is 11th level. Paladin get improved divine smite and ranger gets volley or whirlwind. I think 11 paladin is best. So you take 12 paladin, 4 ranger grab hunter and colossus slayer and grab either 4 assassin for autocrit with magic initiate and hex, or just 4 warlock.

FatherLiir
2015-06-24, 10:22 AM
Thank you so much for the replies everyone.

Part of me feels this build is really hard to accomplish because you need to be adapt at nearly every situation you can come across from court etiquette to hunting dragons. Perhaps I'm overthinking it and a straight warlock could absolutely do it, but I love the ideas everyone has put forward :)

MrStabby
2015-06-24, 12:48 PM
Nature Cleric / Ranger or Trickery Cleric / Ranger might work?

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-25, 09:18 AM
I got another thread on paladin/ranger. I like it. No reason you can't grab assassin or warlock in the mix. Yes it's MAD, but have fun. I'd actually like to see him when he's done. Post a guide. I'm trying to make a spear wielding paladin ranger dragon killer. My problem is 11th level. Paladin get improved divine smite and ranger gets volley or whirlwind. I think 11 paladin is best. So you take 12 paladin, 4 ranger grab hunter and colossus slayer and grab either 4 assassin for autocrit with magic initiate and hex, or just 4 warlock.

This sounds like a good idea. But you can better go for 5warlock/5assassin and 11 paladin. The ASI is not that important.

KorvinStarmast
2015-06-26, 08:11 AM
If you go with Paladin, you get some pretty good abilities for hunting people down, too. This might not be great fit though, since the Queen is chaotic and Vengeance Paladins are lawful (though why not have a lawful servant?). By what definition in the PHB is a Vengeance Paladin lawful? I realize I am splitting hairs here, but words do have meanings. The core motivation of the Vengeance Paladin is the cause of righteousness, which is not necessarily lawfulness. The law can be wrong or even evil. The VP is about defeating that evil.

Beyond that little nitpick, I like your suggestions to the questions asked.

Human Paragon 3
2015-06-26, 03:39 PM
By what definition in the PHB is a Vengeance Paladin lawful? I realize I am splitting hairs here, but words do have meanings. The core motivation of the Vengeance Paladin is the cause of righteousness, which is not necessarily lawfulness. The law can be wrong or even evil. The VP is about defeating that evil.

Beyond that little nitpick, I like your suggestions to the questions asked.

I count them as lawful because they are more interested in punishing wrongdoers than defending the weak. Lawful doesn't necessarily mean you respect all laws, it can mean you hold steadfastly to your own personal oaths and honor. Maybe I'm off base, but the unwavering drive to mete out justice seems lawful to me.

MrStabby
2015-07-17, 09:20 PM
I have to say that going away and reading more about this class has made me want to play one.

I am tempted by a fey-pact warlock (pact of the blade) with some rogue for expertise in tracking and probably more.

I am imagining going Warlock to 2, rogue to 2, warlock to 5, rogue to 3, fighter (or maybe Paladin) to 2 and rogue beyond that.

Warlock invocations will be probably One With Shadows, Thirsting Blade and Devil's sight. Rogue will probably be Assassin.

Stats will be focussed on dexterity as I will only need Charisma to multiclass into Warlock; I am not intending to use any spells that use my casting stat.

I think it could be great fun to play.