PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unchained Monk/Warpriest Opti and clarification

Elfkin_King
2015-06-21, 09:13 PM
I had to roll up a new character, at level 3, and I decided to go (Unchained Martial Artist Monk 2/ Sacred Fist War Priest 1) and he's a War Priest of Gorum, so he's got a Greatsword that I may be focusing on, but I wanted to know if the Unchained Monk's Flurry Works with the TWF tree for extra attacks, and if I can use my Greatsword AND Unarmed attacks during a Flurry.
It's my understanding (according to my DM) that I can flurry with the greatsword after a certain point since it's my Deities favored weapon. So, I think that I can throw some kicks in there too, if I wanted, but I want to make sure, because every monk I ever played used 1h weapons, not 2h.

Geddy2112
2015-06-21, 09:33 PM
It won't work with TWF as a flurry "takes no penalty for using multiple weapons when making a flurry of blows, but he does not gain any additional attacks beyond what's already granted by the flurry for doing so"You can flurry with any monk weapon, and if your DM allows a greatsword to count as a monk weapon(or allow a 9 ringed sword or temple sword to count for Gorum). If the DM allowed 2 handed a flurry could be a combination of kicks/punches because monks can strike with their hands full.

Psyren
2015-06-21, 09:41 PM
1) You cannot TWF + Flurry no matter which monk you use.
2) Unchained Monk cannot, RAW, use any of the old monk archetypes. Even if it could, martial artist is a horrible idea because it loses the ki pool, and ki is the Unchained Monk's bread and butter.
3) You can flurry with a greatsword with the Crusaders Flurry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/crusader-s-flurry) feat.

Elfkin_King
2015-06-22, 03:04 AM
1) You cannot TWF + Flurry no matter which monk you use.
2) Unchained Monk cannot, RAW, use any of the old monk archetypes. Even if it could, martial artist is a horrible idea because it loses the ki pool, and ki is the Unchained Monk's bread and butter.
3) You can flurry with a greatsword with the Crusaders Flurry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/crusader-s-flurry) feat.

1) I figured, lol
2) *growls* Literally the only unchained... OK, I guess it could be RP'd that, when he started worshiping Gorum that he abandoned the Sublime Way of the monk, to an extent, which is why he's a Sacred Fist. It helps that he's being remade at level 3, that way it makes a bit more sense. Roleplaying that initial transition could have been really hard, but roleplaying the aftermath of that decision, that's gonna be fun. >:3
3) Ooooo, thank you :) I have been trying to figure that one out xD

Elfkin_King
2015-06-22, 03:21 PM
So, the wording through all this leads me to another question: Unchained Flurry is different from reg FoB, and that 2 level dip in Unchained Monk with the Sacred Fist Warpriest... he's got two different kinds of FoB's. How Does this work? "Use whichever is better"?

Geddy2112
2015-06-22, 03:28 PM
So, the wording through all this leads me to another question: Unchained Flurry is different from reg FoB, and that 2 level dip in Unchained Monk with the Sacred Fist Warpriest... he's got two different kinds of FoB's. How Does this work? "Use whichever is better"?

Since it works like the monk ability of the same name, it should count as the Flurry you are using(the unchained monk). Since your warpriest levels in sacred fist count as monk levels for unarmed damage, they will also count as monk levels to determine when you get an extra flurry attack.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-22, 03:30 PM
Since it works like the monk ability of the same name, it should count as the Flurry you are using(the unchained monk). Since your warpriest levels in sacred fist count as monk levels for unarmed damage, they will also count as monk levels to determine when you get an extra flurry attack.

It's worth noting, however, that CRB monk's FoB increases your effective BAB, whereas uMonk's does not. So CRB monk's flurry is usually going to be a better option for a Sacred Fist.