PDA

View Full Version : Essential Books?

d20 Miscreant
2015-06-21, 09:49 PM
Hey, Playgrounders, l want your recommendations. I received a $100 Amazon gift card for Father's Day, and rather than do something practical with it, I think I'm going to expand my Pathfinder library. Currently I own: Core Rulebook, Gamemastery Guide, Advanced Player's Guide, and Ultimate Combat.

What "essential" books do you feel that one should have other than those listed? I've been tempted to try the Inner Sea Guide for some campaign info. Plus with all the posts of the Magus being thrown around here, I'm thinking Ultimate Magic is another.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Many thanks! And happy Father's Day to the other gamer dads out there.

Venger
2015-06-21, 09:54 PM
happy father's day!

"spheres of power" seems very popular. ultimate psionics is of course a valuable addition as well.

(you might want to add in the "pathfinder" tag to this thread/title, so the pf gurus can come in and help.)

d20 Miscreant
2015-06-22, 03:18 AM
I'm a posting newb. I have "Pathfinder" under the tags section but it doesn't seem to tag it that I can see, if that makes sense.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-22, 04:24 AM
I'm a posting newb. I have "Pathfinder" under the tags section but it doesn't seem to tag it that I can see, if that makes sense.

You added the "pathfinder" tag, but that only shows up in forum searches and at the bottom of the page. What Venger meant was the "prefix" pathfinder, that will add the [Pathfinder] tag in purple to the title of the topic.

I don't play Pathfinder though, so this is all the help I can give you.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-06-22, 07:00 AM
I'm not super familiar with pathfinder, but in my mind, the most important books to have in print are the ones I'll need to read a lot. That's doubly true for PF, given that it's all online if you just need a class or feat or something. So I'd look at subsystem books (psionics, path of war, spheres of power, that sort of thing). Or, depending on how much DMing you do, a monster manual or two.

Ken Murikumo
2015-06-22, 11:28 AM
Any "ultimate" book. Also NPC codex and advanced race guide make excellent additions for players and DMs.

d20 Miscreant
2015-06-22, 12:59 PM
You added the "pathfinder" tag, but that only shows up in forum searches and at the bottom of the page. What Venger meant was the "prefix" pathfinder, that will add the [Pathfinder] tag in purple to the title of the topic.

I don't play Pathfinder though, so this is all the help I can give you.

I guess that's what I'm having trouble with, how do I add that prefix (along with all the others; DM help, 3.5, Roleplaying, etc.)? I'm positing on my phone if that makes a difference.

Also, thank you for the suggestions. I've never heard of spheres of power, I'll have to research that one.

Krazzman
2015-06-22, 01:11 PM
Books which I found awesome to have in hardcover:

Ultimate Equipment
and that was it basically...

d20pfsrd.com has all the other stuff really "needed".

Else just spend on the stuff you think that might be fun (Core Rulebook, Advanced Players Guide, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Bestiaries 1-4, Advanced Class Guide).

Palanan
2015-06-22, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by d20 Miscreant
Currently I own: Core Rulebook, Gamemastery Guide, Advanced Player's Guide, and Ultimate Combat.

Looks like you have a good starting set already; the APG is my hands-down favorite. After that, I'd suggest the Advanced Race Guide and Ultimate Magic.

I wasn't that impressed with the Inner Sea Guide, but I'm not a big fan of the kitchen-sink approach of Golarion, where each nation typifies a different concept or theme. I do like the NPC Codex, and if you ever think about running a campaign or even a few sessions, Bestiary 2 and Bestiary 3 have some great creatures in them.

As for Spheres of Power, it's not available on Amazon that I can find, so that might affect your purchasing decision.

atemu1234
2015-06-22, 08:43 PM
I hear Path of War is quite good. If you're DM, so is Tome of Horrors Complete.

d20 Miscreant
2015-06-24, 09:47 AM
Went ahead and ordered some books, thanks all!

I miss the 2E days when splat books were soft cover and $18.00 a piece...

atemu1234
2015-06-24, 11:10 AM
Went ahead and ordered some books, thanks all!

I miss the 2E days when splat books were soft cover and $18.00 a piece...

Don't we all?