PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I'm trying to create a haunted battlefield. Total homebrew campaign

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-06-21, 09:58 PM
I need suggestions for templates.

I am using the elf/orc battle field map out of enchanted locations as my starting point. One of the locations has Corellion Lareathian's final resting place and another has a spot where Gruumsh's head is. So here is the senario

Huge battle between elves and orcs. The avatars of the respective deities put in an appearance and fell in combat. The fall out was horrific. In addition to neither avatar being able to manifest for the next 100 years, both armies were decimated. The orc army was nearly wiped out only a dozen or so half orcs escaped with their lives and the elves had a 90% casualty rate. (Given the hostility level between elves and orcs if any full blooded orcs had survived no elves would have made it back alive)

The truly terrible fall out every day the dead rise, repeat the battle fall again only to rise the next day. I have come up with a way for the Pcs to break this cycle but I need monsters to inhabit the battle field. The orcs will be somewhat easy, but I need sentient good aligned undead for the elves, something between revant and deathless.

I looked at revanant and that changes alignment to true neutral and I looked at deathless and just could not figure it out. I need something that leaves them sientiant and with their former abiliese and corporial

Venger
2015-06-21, 10:04 PM
The orcs will be somewhat easy, but I need sentient good aligned undead for the elves, something between revant and deathless.

I looked at revanant and that changes alignment to true neutral and I looked at deathless and just could not figure it out. I need something that leaves them sientiant and with their former abiliese and corporial

since you're homebrewing everything you could always just... waive alignment.

dread warrior keeps most abilities.

karrnathi skeleton and/or zombie are another option.

what superpowers specifically do you want your guy to keep?

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-06-21, 10:09 PM
keep, alignment, class features, feats, skill points, abilites except con spells if applicable. The deathless ghost does seem to do this, but the crypt warden does not. Can the deathless template be used to alter amost any type of undead?

They also need to look more or less like they did in life

Venger
2015-06-21, 10:14 PM
keep, alignment, class features, feats, skill points, abilites except con spells if applicable. The deathless ghost does seem to do this, but the crypt warden does not. Can the deathless template be used to alter amost any type of undead?

ok. I think dread warrior does all that stuff except alignment, but if you're rolling your own, you can obviously ignore that. deathless is not a template, so no. deathless is just the undead type but the type of clerics that can boss them around and their energy vulnerability are flipflopped, and they're subject to energy drain.

atemu1234
2015-06-21, 10:19 PM
ok. I think dread warrior does all that stuff except alignment, but if you're rolling your own, you can obviously ignore that. deathless is not a template, so no. deathless is just the undead type but the type of clerics that can boss them around and their energy vulnerability are flipflopped, and they're subject to energy drain.

Which makes them weaker. Why not just go ghost?

Venger
2015-06-21, 10:23 PM
Which makes them weaker. Why not just go ghost?

I know deathless are weaker. OP just seemed under ther misapprehension that it was a template.

I need something that leaves them sientiant and with their former abiliese and corporial
(emphasis mine)

ghosts are incorporeal.

atemu1234
2015-06-21, 10:24 PM
I know deathless are weaker. OP just seemed under ther misapprehension that it was a template.

(emphasis mine)

ghosts are incorporeal.

Necropolitan, refluff appearance. Fit?

Venger
2015-06-21, 10:25 PM
Necropolitan, refluff appearance. Fit?

sure, all you'd need is a hat of disguise or a similar low level item or spell (or just wear makeup)

atemu1234
2015-06-21, 10:27 PM
sure, all you'd need is a hat of disguise or a similar low level item or spell (or just wear makeup)

Ooh, make that appearance a glamour that is over the animated corpses!

Venger
2015-06-21, 10:30 PM
Ooh, make that appearance a glamour that is over the animated corpses!

that's certainly an option. or an eternal wand of disguise undead

Crake
2015-06-21, 11:16 PM
Considering that this is what happens all the time on the heroic planes of Ysgard, which just so happens to be the CN-CG plane, you could say that the impact of the battle was so mighty that the site of the battle caused it to merge slightly with Ysgard, and now the fallen arise every morning to fight once more to the death.

I think this is suitable, because the battle was CG vs CE, and since CG prevailed, but only barely, Ysgard seems the appropriate plane to be impacted by it's events. Plus it results in the effect you wanted, and for added effect, the site could also have occasional planar pathways that open and close allowing planar travellers who can navigate the battlefield to make their way onto the planes.

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-06-21, 11:24 PM
Considering that this is what happens all the time on the heroic planes of Ysgard, which just so happens to be the CN-CG plane, you could say that the impact of the battle was so mighty that the site of the battle caused it to merge slightly with Ysgard, and now the fallen arise every morning to fight once more to the death.

I think this is suitable, because the battle was CG vs CE, and since CG prevailed, but only barely, Ysgard seems the appropriate plane to be impacted by it's events. Plus it results in the effect you wanted, and for added effect, the site could also have occasional planar pathways that open and close allowing planar travellers who can navigate the battlefield to make their way onto the planes.

Thanks this was my first thought, but hubby thought it too melodramatic. I showed him your post, now he likes the idea of everyone rising from the dead every morning to fight to the death again. When I first told him about it he was like I get a true resurrection I'm out of here. But merging with Ysgard slightly would change things. So a piece of Ysgard merges with the Prime material plane.