PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for a group and help to learn DND more

duskskully
2015-06-21, 10:48 PM
Hello everyone on this forum, it's a pleasure to be here and all, but listen I need help with finding a game of starters to join and looking for some help to learn this game of Dungeons and Dragons, so is there anyone out there?

Venger
2015-06-21, 10:58 PM
Hello everyone on this forum, it's a pleasure to be here and all, but listen I need help with finding a game of starters to join and looking for some help to learn this game of Dungeons and Dragons, so is there anyone out there?

welcome!

you'll want to look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment)) to find a game to fit your needs.

if learning the basics is also something you want to do, this is the right subforum for that. the more specific you can be, the better we'll be able to answer your questions

duskskully
2015-06-21, 11:15 PM
Basicly I wanna learn all there is to be, but mainly ummm well making the character, I try to, but like I don't know the numbers to start with for the ac, the stats, and all the other stuff like some of you veteran players do

Venger
2015-06-22, 09:11 AM
Basicly I wanna learn all there is to be, but mainly ummm well making the character, I try to, but like I don't know the numbers to start with for the ac, the stats, and all the other stuff like some of you veteran players do

Ok let's start at the beginning. What kind of character would you like to play?

Mystral
2015-06-22, 09:14 AM

For the love of all that is good and holy, don't start playing D&D by playing a forum RPG, especially on this board.

Go to your local games store and look for game advertisements. Find a real life group.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-22, 09:24 AM
For the love of all that is good and holy, don't start playing D&D by playing a forum RPG, especially on this board.
Hey, you make it look like we can't build characters that don't require writing a brief essay to explain how and why they are supposed to work by RAW. :smallbiggrin:

Go to your local games store and look for game advertisements. Find a real life group.
Seconded. RL tabletop gaming, when possible, is usually preverred to online tabletop gaming. Probably because it's supposed to be played around a "table", I guess.

@OP: I'll echo Venger on this: what character would you like to play? A brave warrior? A faithful priest? Iron Man, but with katanas?

Mystral
2015-06-22, 09:30 AM
Hey, you make it look like we can't build characters that require writing a brief essay to explain how and why they are supposed to work by RAW. :smallbiggrin:

Also, you will have a hard time actually finding a game on here that is suitable for newbie and not something crazy like tripple gestalt epic. And even if you find one, only one out of 4 players is included because of higher supply than demand, and a new player has really bad chances.

Urpriest
2015-06-22, 11:16 AM

Thirding this.

I would also advise not playing D&D 3.5. Play Pathfinder if you want, or play the newest edition of D&D (5th edition). D&D 3.5 is out of print, so unless you're got an unusual emotional attachment to it (like we do :smallwink:) there are better options available.

Flickerdart
2015-06-22, 11:30 AM
Have you read through a Player's Handbook? It breaks this down pretty well.

There are a bunch of statistics that are core to every class, so you should understand them before you even start building:
Ability scores: The default score generating method in the books is rolling four 6-sided dice, and taking off the lowest one. On the forums we like to use 32 point buy because it eliminates the randomness (google "point buy calculator" to find a tool that does the math for you). Barring a class selection, the most important ability is Constitution because it gives you more hit points, which prevents you from dying! Dexterity is also good because it governs a whole lot of different things. Generally you will want at least a 14 in Constitution and 12 in Dexterity regardless of what you are going to play.

Ability score modifiers: To get a modifier from a score, subtract 10 and then divide by 2. So 10 has a mod of 0, 12 has a mod of 1, and so on. You will be using these modifiers more than the actual stats themselves.

HP: As long as you have more HP than 0, you're in the fight! Every level you gain, you roll your hit die (which depends on the class you pick) and add your Constitution modifier. At level 1 you automatically gain the maximum value of your hit die. So at level 1, a wizard with 10 Constitution would only have 4 hit points (4 from his d4 hit die), while a barbarian with 16 Constitution would have 15 hit points (12 from his d12 hit die and 3 from his Constitution modifier).

AC: While naked, your AC is 10 + your Dexterity modifier. Armor adds to this, but not all characters can wear armor, and the armors that provide the best protection are also heavy and expensive.

Attack bonus: This is the bread and butter of most characters. Your attack bonus is equal to your Base Attack Bonus (from your class) plus your Strength mod (for melee attacks) or Dexterity mod (for attacks with bows, crossbows, etc). When you attack, you roll a 20-sided die and add this bonus. If it's not lower than your enemy's AC, you hit them and deal damage! Damage depends on what weapon you are using, so pick carefully.

Aleolus
2015-06-22, 11:34 AM
Thirding this.

I would also advise not playing D&D 3.5. Play Pathfinder if you want, or play the newest edition of D&D (5th edition). D&D 3.5 is out of print, so unless you're got an unusual emotional attachment to it (like we do :smallwink:) there are better options available.

Blasphemy! Even though 3.5 isn't in official print anymore the books can still be found and bought in numerous locations, both online and irl

Mystral
2015-06-22, 12:01 PM
Blasphemy! Even though 3.5 isn't in official print anymore the books can still be found and bought in numerous locations, both online and irl

You can also play a perfectly good game of core D&D with the free SRD.

Flickerdart
2015-06-22, 12:04 PM
Not really - character generation rules and rules about gaining levels are not listed in the SRD.

Urpriest
2015-06-22, 12:05 PM

Except for the fact that there will never be errata for any contradictions you manage to find, sure.

The benefit of a game being in print isn't just that the books are easier to find, it's that the game is still supported by its publishers.

Also, judging by the meetup groups I've perused it's going to be way easier for the OP to find a PF or 5e (or even Numenera!) game than a 3.5 one.

atemu1234
2015-06-22, 12:06 PM
Thirding this.

Hey, I learned to play 3.5 when it was out of print. Been meaning to switch to Pathfinder for a while, but never got around to it.

I think 3.5 is one of the best options out there.

Mystral
2015-06-22, 12:15 PM
Not really - character generation rules and rules about gaining levels are not listed in the SRD.

We can explain those.

But yeah. I suggest you play pathfinder instead, too.

YossarianLives
2015-06-22, 12:21 PM
3.5 is easily my favorite RPG system out, and I don't even own any of the books except my copy of ToB. My group just pieced the rules together from the stuff we found online. Balance issues aside it's a solid and fun system. It's also has the highest customization ceiling of any rules-heavy system I've ever seen.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-22, 12:27 PM
If you're looking for a group, I'd say playing an in person game is probably the best way to start out. I think Obsidian Portal (https://www.obsidianportal.com/) has a good way to find a local group, but I haven't used it in a long while.

Please don't take this offensively, but D&D for Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Dungeons-Dragons-For-Dummies.productCd-0764584596,navId-322498.html) is also a spectacular way to gain a working knowledge of the game. Despite it's name, it isn't written for dummies.

Do you have any specific questions? I'm sure the Playground would love to help out.

Venger
2015-06-22, 04:24 PM

You know, he probably asked to find a group online because there aren't any in-person options available. I grew up in a small town too, there weren't any people who wanted to play D&D.

I'm going against the mob. if OP said he wanted to play 3.5, I say let him.

it's always possible to make a thread in recruitment and ask for a dm for a noob game, it couldn't hurt.

Urpriest
2015-06-22, 04:28 PM
You know, he probably asked to find a group online because there aren't any in-person options available. I grew up in a small town too, there weren't any people who wanted to play D&D.

I'm going against the mob. if OP said he wanted to play 3.5, I say let him.

it's always possible to make a thread in recruitment and ask for a dm for a noob game, it couldn't hurt.

The OP didn't say he wanted to play 3.5, though, he said he wanted to play D&D. I'm just pointing out that the largest subforum doesn't necessarily entail the most viable system.

Yeah, it can be hard to find in-person groups. There actually are occasional noob games on the PbP forum, but it might be better to do something a bit faster-paced, like roll20. Does anyone know where good sites are to find roll20 games?

Karl Aegis
2015-06-22, 04:37 PM
Ouch. Isn't calling them a noob pretty harsh?

Urpriest
2015-06-22, 04:39 PM

I feel like it's not a slur if someone is literally new to the game, but if it makes the OP feel uncomfortable then I apologize.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-22, 04:48 PM
I feel like it's not a slur if someone is literally new to the game, but if it makes the OP feel uncomfortable then I apologize.

You're thinking of a homonym. Noob has been exclusively used for flaming. I have no idea when anyone thought newb and noob could be used interchangeably, but a noob does not show respect nor deserve respect. A newb is much more likeable, being more akin to a newborn or a puppy than an ignoramus who thinks they are better than you.

noob
2015-06-22, 05:09 PM
Even kinder is new player I think but it takes two words.
Dnd have lots of bugs and one important thing to know is that finding bugs or trying to use them annoys game masters(in the long or short term) except if you have a game master with so much sympathy that he can not be annoyed but game masters like that are rare.
The manual of players is the only needed manual other manuals are secondary but if you feel like a cheater you can learn by heart the manual of monsters and the master manual but things in those manuals are far more likely to be changed by the game master and can be changed without the need of explaining that you use home rules.
You can even have the manual of players on internet.
Erratas are not so much important as long as you do reasonable stuff but some questions are not answered anywhere like questions on the reference frame of "stationary" spells
For a first play you can use nearly any character it is just that with magician you loose 3 additional hours choosing spells and with spontaneous casting spell classes you need to solve impossible to solve dilemma which can never end.

Venger
2015-06-22, 06:13 PM
no? OP is new to the game, that's all it means, it's not a defamatory or negative term. if I took up sailing tomorrow, I'd be a noob.

yeah, I haven't seen it used as an insult in like a decade.

You're thinking of a homonym. Noob has been exclusively used for flaming. I have no idea when anyone thought newb and noob could be used interchangeably, but a noob does not show respect nor deserve respect. A newb is much more likeable, being more akin to a newborn or a puppy than an ignoramus who thinks they are better than you.
they are absolutely used interchangeably. why just the other day I saw a poster named-

Even kinder is new player I think but it takes two words.
Dnd have lots of bugs and one important thing to know is that finding bugs or trying to use them annoys game masters(in the long or short term) except if you have a game master with so much sympathy that he can not be annoyed but game masters like that are rare.
The manual of players is the only needed manual other manuals are secondary but if you feel like a cheater you can learn by heart the manual of monsters and the master manual but things in those manuals are far more likely to be changed by the game master and can be changed without the need of explaining that you use home rules.
You can even have the manual of players on internet.
Erratas are not so much important as long as you do reasonable stuff but some questions are not answered anywhere like questions on the reference frame of "stationary" spells
For a first play you can use nearly any character it is just that with magician you loose 3 additional hours choosing spells and with spontaneous casting spell classes you need to solve impossible to solve dilemma which can never end.
-oh hey noob. congrats on your 20th level in truenamer. solid advice.

Telonius
2015-06-22, 11:14 PM
3.5, as others have mentioned, is pretty glitchy. While the system imbalance was apparent even shortly after it was released, the posters on the forums (here and elsewhere) have had more than a decade to see what poorly-worded rules and unexpected combinations can completely break the system. They've been able to show how certain classes and builds can make the game-world's reality cry at least six times before breakfast, without really breaking that much of a sweat. Basically, the level of optimization can be pretty stratospheric.

Because so many people have been at this for so long, it can seem like a really steep learning curve. You'll probably get a whole lot of advice that assumes a much higher level of rules familiarity than your group actually has. (For instance, if someone starts talking about Divine Metamagic, or Wizards with private demiplanes, you're probably going to feel out of your depth, even though those are pretty "standard" optimization tricks). I would ignore most of this advice, since it really isn't very helpful for someone completely new to the game.

One thing that 3.5 is really good at, is that it's extraordinarily customizable. You can build almost any character concept, if you look through enough splatbooks. But I would strongly advise going "Core only" for the first time out - that is, using only materials from the Players' Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide. ("Core" can also refer to the Unearthed Arcana material in the SRD, but that might be a bit more complicated than you need to get). Branching out more than that can really overwhelm a new player with too many options. Core-only will really give you the full 3.5 experience, including discovering that you've selected a "trap" option, and finding out all the horrible optimization tricks after you figure out the basic rules.

There really are a few classes that are much better than others (Druid, Cleric, Wizard, Sorcerer) and a few that are a lot worse (Monk, Paladin). That goes double for some of the feats you can pick. It probably won't show up as much at first, especially if everybody's at a very beginning level of gameplay - and that's the part where ignoring the optimization advice comes in. But you'll start to see why the power difference happens as you play more and more. So get your feet wet, see how it goes for a few sessions. Then when you're ready to crank up the power, start listening to the build advice on the boards.

Venger
2015-06-22, 11:25 PM
3.5, as others have mentioned, is pretty glitchy. While the system imbalance was apparent even shortly after it was released, the posters on the forums (here and elsewhere) have had more than a decade to see what poorly-worded rules and unexpected combinations can completely break the system. They've been able to show how certain classes and builds can make the game-world's reality cry at least six times before breakfast, without really breaking that much of a sweat. Basically, the level of optimization can be pretty stratospheric.

Because so many people have been at this for so long, it can seem like a really steep learning curve. You'll probably get a whole lot of advice that assumes a much higher level of rules familiarity than your group actually has. (For instance, if someone starts talking about Divine Metamagic, or Wizards with private demiplanes, you're probably going to feel out of your depth, even though those are pretty "standard" optimization tricks). I would ignore most of this advice, since it really isn't very helpful for someone completely new to the game.

One thing that 3.5 is really good at, is that it's extraordinarily customizable. You can build almost any character concept, if you look through enough splatbooks. But I would strongly advise going "Core only" for the first time out - that is, using only materials from the Players' Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide. ("Core" can also refer to the Unearthed Arcana material in the SRD, but that might be a bit more complicated than you need to get). Branching out more than that can really overwhelm a new player with too many options. Core-only will really give you the full 3.5 experience, including discovering that you've selected a "trap" option, and finding out all the horrible optimization tricks after you figure out the basic rules.

There really are a few classes that are much better than others (Druid, Cleric, Wizard, Sorcerer) and a few that are a lot worse (Monk, Paladin). That goes double for some of the feats you can pick. It probably won't show up as much at first, especially if everybody's at a very beginning level of gameplay - and that's the part where ignoring the optimization advice comes in. But you'll start to see why the power difference happens as you play more and more. So get your feet wet, see how it goes for a few sessions. Then when you're ready to crank up the power, start listening to the build advice on the boards.

agree with the basic spirit of your advice, but strongly disagree in starting out in a core-only game. balance and disparity is the worst in core with few mid-tier options for a new player. depending on his playstyle, a base class from elsewhere may be easier and more fun to play so he doesn't get soured on the experience by trying to make a core-only monk or fighter do anything.

Telonius
2015-06-22, 11:52 PM
agree with the basic spirit of your advice, but strongly disagree in starting out in a core-only game. balance and disparity is the worst in core with few mid-tier options for a new player. depending on his playstyle, a base class from elsewhere may be easier and more fun to play so he doesn't get soured on the experience by trying to make a core-only monk or fighter do anything.

Yeah, that's probably an area where I just generally disagree with a lot of people around here - I think that hilarious failure can be a great part of the game, and that a lot of people really over-estimate how easy it is to scare off beginning players, as well as how much the power difference shows up in the first few sessions. If nobody knows what they're doing, it can be a real party-forging experience. An inexperienced Wizard is going to have as tough of a time at first as an inexperienced Monk, and maybe even worse than a Barbarian; and the Cleric isn't going to realize that he's more than a walking band-aid box.

bean illus
2015-06-23, 01:46 AM
I would be willing to play with the OP. I have played for years, and know what Charop is, but appreciate an e6 skill monkey more than gestalt triple 9s. PM me.

Mystral
2015-06-23, 02:05 AM
It kind of looks like OP has abandoned this thread and found someone to teach him on skype.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415914-Looking-for-a-DM-who-doesn-t-mind-working-with-DnD-noobs

Uncle Pine
2015-06-23, 02:42 AM
It kind of looks like OP has abandoned this thread and found someone to teach him on skype.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415914-Looking-for-a-DM-who-doesn-t-mind-working-with-DnD-noobs

I guess we'll never know if OP wanted to play a ninja Hulk or a robot Hawkeye, then.

duskskully
2015-06-23, 03:43 AM
I nap, leave my house to go get food, join a dnd game durning this, haven't refresh in awhile, i do so, and i see all you lovely people trying to help me[tears up] this is a community.....this is a dream...the greatest dream...
Ahem, but yeah I have no real life groups to choose from....so online is my option, but yeah now i have all this to respond to, this is lovely, also I'm ok with been called a noob since i'm still learning, as long as I know it's not in a rude manner, futhermore the group i joined is megaman x, i thank you all for your offers and help, if I need help with anything, i will contact anyone of you, again thank you all for your help~! HUGS

duskskully
2015-06-23, 03:50 AM

none of them have replied or added me on skype yet soooooo yeah, also what does umm OP mean?

Mystral
2015-06-23, 03:55 AM
I nap, leave my house to go get food, join a dnd game durning this, haven't refresh in awhile, i do so, and i see all you lovely people trying to help me[tears up] this is a community.....this is a dream...the greatest dream...
Ahem, but yeah I have no real life groups to choose from....so online is my option

Alright then.

Pathfinder, or D&D, are actually really simple role playing games to play. For any check, no matter if you want to convince a guard, bust open a door, climb a tree, hit someone with a club, dodge a trap or fight poison, it's always the same thing. You roll a d20 and add the appropriate bonus. Your DM will tell you which bonus to add, and you will pick up on the relevant ones for your character soon enough.

There are some rules you should learn. Which ones you should learn first depends greatly on the kind of character you want to play. If you want to play a fighty dude, you'll need to learn about the different attack maneuvers, if you want to play a spellcaster, you need to learn about the rules of magic, and so on.

So.. what is it that you want to play?

Mystral
2015-06-23, 03:56 AM
none of them have replied or added me on skype yet soooooo yeah, also what does umm OP mean?

It means "original poster", as in, the guy who started the thread.

duskskully
2015-06-23, 04:03 AM
So.. what is it that you want to play?

mmm that's a good question.... I guess for I'm gonna stay with the group I'm in, but if I had to say, I wanna play dnd where i can make friends and have some good times and laugh

Mystral
2015-06-23, 04:08 AM
The question meant: What kind of character do you want to play?

If you make up your mind towards that, people here can help you with making that character in D&D, which is the hardest part.

Also, don't let people get too crazy with optimisation, a few people on this board feel the need to make really powerfull characters. Those might not fit into your game.

duskskully
2015-06-23, 04:29 AM
The question meant: What kind of character do you want to play?

If you make up your mind towards that, people here can help you with making that character in D&D, which is the hardest part.

Also, don't let people get too crazy with optimisation, a few people on this board feel the need to make really powerfull characters. Those might not fit into your game.

Mainly like supportive, so bard, mages, maybe cleric, just a support

Mystral
2015-06-23, 04:34 AM
Support, hmm?

Yeah, a bard, cleric or wizard would be best.

Bards support with their bardic music and a small selection of spells (far less than clerics and wizards), as well as a high number of skills and some fighting abilities. They are more or less the jack of all trades, so they can be a good way to explore many different aspects of D&D.

Clerics might be better than wizards for you because they are just as good in the supporting kind of magic, but they are sturdier and don't require as much thinking to let them survive. Just give them a good armor and shield and whack people with a morning star, as well as cast some spells to support yourself and others in your group, and you'll be fine in the early levels.

In the higher levels, or at higher optimisation, wizards are more powerfull than clerics, but they are squishy and need carefull planning.

If you play a cleric or bard, don't think that it is your main job to heal people. Healing people is often a bad choice and best reserved for the time between battles.

noob
2015-06-23, 07:38 AM
Clerics have pretty fast powerful damage spells like flame-strike or blade barrier.
If I remember well if you want an epic progression with only the base manuals cleric is one of the best classes.
(high level worries)Miracle does not wants to destroy your soul while wish have with plenty of game master the effect: the caster loose the game, his character is definitively banished into ultra hell and all the thinking being of the universe are put into stasis definitively except for the evil ones.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-23, 10:55 AM
GitP is a really great community. Always feel free to PM people with questions if you need something. I believe most of us are OK with that? Or you can just make a thread like this one!

futhermore the group i joined is megaman x,
This sounds awesome. Does it have a player's handbook?

what does umm OP mean?
Original Poster.

I wanna play dnd where i can make friends and have some good times and laugh
This is the correct game! Haha.

Mainly like supportive, so bard, mages, maybe cleric, just a support
Bard is one of the more enjoyable support roles. Clerics can do pretty much anything. As far as mages go, I am partial to sorcerer. But that could just be me being partial to charisma.

bean illus
2015-06-23, 01:29 PM
Depending on the table, and the resource/books available, Bard is a great choice for learning the game.

Bard is a one of the most flexible and versatile classes i core (i think). It partakes in melee, skill monkey, and spells (and the spell list is smallish, and spontaneous, so it's easier than some classes).

Great class to learn from. And if you learn enough about the game in a few levels, bard can prc into some fun things.