PDA

View Full Version : Familiar feats

Bad Wolf
2015-06-22, 01:50 AM
So in the April Fools article on cats, there's a suggested variant rule that gives cat familiars feats starting at third level, following the normal feat progression.

So what feats should be slapped onto a cat familiar with the Dark template?

frogglesmash
2015-06-22, 03:01 AM
You could always slap darkstalker onto it if you plan on having it do a lot of scouting.

noob
2015-06-22, 04:36 AM
I did just read again the player manual article about familiars and nothing forbids them from gaining levels after becoming a familiar(the sentence the nearest to that simply says the familiar grows in power with his master which with logic does not prevents it to grow in power without its master) so I think your familiar could also have classes if you convince your gm that it can gain levels and that he participate in the adventure.

Bronk
2015-06-22, 06:44 AM
I did just read again the player manual article about familiars and nothing forbids them from gaining levels after becoming a familiar(the sentence the nearest to that simply says the familiar grows in power with his master which with logic does not prevents it to grow in power without its master) so I think your familiar could also have classes if you convince your gm that it can gain levels and that he participate in the adventure.

This is the part that forbids it:

"It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was"

noob
2015-06-22, 07:08 AM
Yes but it does says that just after the description of the way you create a familiar and so it is clear that it guard this only when created because else he would not have the bba of his master and the base saves of his master since it would mean that he is not the same than before.
Also with your logic it means that you can not cast some particular boost spells on him(Well I think that it would not be a problem if they did not spoke specifically about having boost spells applied to your familiar for free when you cast it on yourself).

Urpriest
2015-06-22, 09:13 AM
Yes but it does says that just after the description of the way you create a familiar and so it is clear that it guard this only when created because else he would not have the bba of his master and the base saves of his master since it would mean that he is not the same than before.
Also with your logic it means that you can not cast some particular boost spells on him(Well I think that it would not be a problem if they did not spoke specifically about having boost spells applied to your familiar for free when you cast it on yourself).

The actual restriction is that most familiars are LA --, and thus cannot gain XP through combat. Even the ones that qualify aren't party members, they're class features, so any XP they would gain is accrued by the player who controls them instead.