PDA

View Full Version : Coolest character.

Icewalker
2007-04-27, 01:57 AM
I'm sure there are others. But I don't see any taking any particularly noticable location, so I decided to make my own, mainly because I started playing Diablo II again recently, leading to my first person for my list:

The Archangel Tyrael (Diablo II). So damn cool.

Good 'ol Sephiroth, as I'm sure many people will argue for and against.

Uther from Warcraft III

The Bentusi from Homeworld, more so in the first one than in Homeworld II.

Fenix from Starcraft.

the original Zero from the megaman X games. Not the new guy. The one in the orange armor with a more standard green saber and a blonde ponytail. He was awesome.

As you may be able to tell, I play a lot of Blizzards games. They've got good stuff.

Dhavaer
2007-04-27, 02:43 AM
J.C. Denton.

"There are many still in darkness who must be shown the light. For it is the dawning of a new day."

Beleriphon
2007-04-27, 02:49 AM
The Master Chief. It takes a special kind of cyborg to be funny.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-27, 03:29 AM
Raziel.

Having two souls, being a soul eating sword, all the while being a walking paradox that eats souls. What's not to love?

Setra
2007-04-27, 04:07 AM
Yuri Hyuga

What's not cool about being a badass with demonic shapeshifting powers, who commits deicide?

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-04-27, 05:39 AM
Bentusi are nice, but the seem to be hippies...

J.C. Freakin' DENTON!

Like Neo, only more badass because he actually thinks for himself.

Not to mention causing the collapse of known civilization and merging with an AI.

Frosty Flake
2007-04-27, 11:50 AM
The dog in Arcanum, paws down.

Om
2007-04-27, 12:00 PM
The dog in Arcanum, paws down.No where near as cool as Dogmeat from Fallout

Woot Spitum
2007-04-27, 01:20 PM
The Hero from The Secret of Evermore. So many great lines.

Jensik
2007-04-27, 01:30 PM
Oh so many to choose from! Well might as well get started:

Minsc of Baldur's Gate (for obvious reasons)
Baltheir (sp?) of Final Fantasy XII
Seifer of FFVIII (I just love Gunblades)
Victor of Suikoden 1 & 2 (that loveable hug-a-bear)
Reno & Rude of FFVII (I play a lot of FF, get over it:smalltongue:)
Ko from The Bouncer
Koume & Kotake; The witch twins from Ocarina of Time

er... crud. I know there are more. Maybe later.

Setra
2007-04-27, 01:33 PM
Seifer never struck me as cool.

Anyone who uses "Chickenwuss" as an insult, simply cannot be cool in my books.

Also, technically I think Shiva, from Final Fantasy is the "Coolest", or at least the "Coldest".

Poison_Fish
2007-04-27, 01:46 PM
Etna and Laharl from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. Not only are they named after volcano's, but being a demon prince/overlord? What's not to like?

To follow up from Nippon Ichi games, Lord Zetta from Makai Kingdom, who holds the title for "most badass freaking overlord in the entire netherverse" or something to that effect.

I happen to like Durandal's crazy ranting from the Marathon series of games.

I can think of a ton of others, but those are the first to really come.

Rob Knotts
2007-04-27, 02:30 PM
Raziel.

Having two souls, being a soul eating sword, all the while being a walking paradox that eats souls. What's not to love?Have to go with Kain, myself, creator of a whole world of vampires and too proud and too powerful to bow down to things like gods or fate.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-27, 02:34 PM
Sam 'Serious' Stone.

Because who else would say "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaayourself!" after shooting a beheaded alien thats only method of attack is to charge at you emitting an endless scream with a pair of bombs in its hands?

blackout
2007-04-27, 02:45 PM
The Master Chief. Badassness in a can.
Cortana. Adds to the aforementioned badassness in a can's humor.
Nathan Zachary from Crimson Skies. Takes a REAL gentleman to maintain his code of honor while being an air pirate.

lumberofdabeast
2007-04-27, 03:04 PM
Hmm...

I nominate Kratos.

For the silver, Sylvanas Windrunner pre-zombification.

Bronze goes to Windrunner post-zombification.

Gungnir
2007-04-27, 03:14 PM
I second the Kratos nomination.

Also, while John IS cool, I feel that Kelly or Linda are better representatives of the Halo universe. Read First Strike for why Linda is up there, and Kelly, well, she kept going with massive internal bleeding, a collapsed lung, broken bones (which, according to the specs on her augmentations, are nigh-unbreakable), and several ruptured/failing organs whose specific identities I cannot recall without looking it up.

sun_tzu
2007-04-27, 03:58 PM
Tex Murphy. Easilly.

The Orange Zergling
2007-04-27, 04:02 PM
Raziel.

Having two souls, being a soul eating sword, all the while being a walking paradox that eats souls. What's not to love?

Seconded.

And also Kane from Command and Conquer. You know you want to aid the spread of the Gospel of the Green Crystal.

Dhavaer
2007-04-27, 06:58 PM
And also Kane from Command and Conquer. You know you want to aid the spread of the Gospel of the Green Crystal.

"Rule of thumb, Hassan. You can't kill the Messiah."

Morrandir
2007-04-27, 08:07 PM
The unnamed dropship pilot from Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

"Look at the bright side, kid. You get to keep all the money."

Wolfgang
2007-04-27, 10:21 PM
Kratos. It takes a special sort of cool to slam someone into the ground and have them break into four pieces just from the impact.

Not to mention that, as of the second game, he has brutally murdered a large portion of Greek mythology, including Icarus, Theseus, Ares (!), and the Fates (!!!). Hopefully more are yet to come.

I'm seeing some good runners-up in this thread though.

Icewalker
2007-04-27, 10:37 PM
I gotta throw in Virgil from Devil May Cry 3. The over the top combat cutscenes are great in that game, and he's got a katana! woo!

Dante as well, but on a lesser level. I'd say he is slightly less cool.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-04-27, 11:27 PM
Strider Hiryu. He exudes cool.

averagejoe
2007-04-28, 12:44 AM
Reno and Rude seconded! Anyone can be cool by doing something physically impressive, like destroying a world or tackling ginormous gods or killing elites even after catastrophic organ failure. Likewise, it's easy to be cool by being dark/brooding/tortured/all that good stuff. True cool, however, is a state of mind and requires no gimmicks.

Along the same lines I'd like to add most of the cast of Giant Citizen Kabuto. Especially the mercs.

Icewalker
2007-04-28, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that game, my friend had it. hehehehehehe.
Timmy...

Yeah, the mercs being the english dudes, right?
stabs the bird with the flag...heh.

averagejoe
2007-04-28, 12:51 AM
I thought the bird carried the flag off when he planted it.

Icewalker
2007-04-28, 12:54 AM
Yeah, that's what happens the first time. Then, a level or two later, he shoots down the bird, grabs the flag back, and plants it by stabbing it through the bird into the ground angrily. Hehehe yeah...

also:
Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank. He's developed a really interesting personality over the four games.

averagejoe
2007-04-28, 01:15 AM
Oooohhh, right. Haha. (It's been awhile)

Beleriphon
2007-04-28, 01:51 AM
I completely forgot Morte from Torment. He's a freaking floating head with a sharp tongue. Well it would be if he had a tongue.

He has a carry capacity, and the game asks you not to ask questions about this. He gets angry when you try to take his teeth, and his character sheet has Fists (!?) as his weapon specialization. Coolest character ever.

belul_kegbreaker
2007-04-28, 01:55 AM
I nominate Zegram from Rogue Galaxy. he just has the stereotypical bad boy with a big sword syndrome.

Ratchet was cool but Clank was way cooler.

Pronounceable
2007-04-28, 07:45 AM
Morte has a tongue. And eyeballs.

I could submit the entire cast of Torment to the coolness list. Well, yes: the entire cast of Torment.

There lots and lots of cool guys/gals:

Kyle Katarn, the Prince of Persia, the Vizier (from SoT), the Dark Prince (from TT), Solid Snake, Revolver Ocelot (MGS), HK 47, Kreia, Canderous Ordo, Jolee Bindo (KotoR), Sarevok, Edwin, Viconia, Yoshimo (BG2), Dogmeat, Goris, Marcus (Fallout), Commander Gabriel Angelos, Sindri (DoW), John Cooper (Desperados), the Sniper (Commandos), Misery, Balrog (Cave Story), Akuma, Sagat, Vega (Street Fighter), Scorpion, Goro, Shang Tsung, Quan Chi (MK), X, Erika, Garzahd (Exile), Enric (Die by the Sword), Lazarus, Tyrael, Baal (Diablo), Hecubah (Nox), Feng, Eddy, Bryan, Kazuya (Tekken),...

Tengu
2007-04-28, 01:37 PM
I never understood what's cool about Viconia. She's the stereotypical Evil Drow Priestess Female Dog.

king korath
2007-04-28, 01:50 PM
Kane from command and conquer. Prince of Persia, the dark prince (two thrones). Samus from metroid.

averagejoe
2007-04-28, 01:53 PM
It's all about Minsc. "Despair not! I shall inspire you by charging blindly on!"

Diakos
2007-04-28, 02:28 PM
Morte has a tongue. And eyeballs.

I could submit the entire cast of Torment to the coolness list. Well, yes: the entire cast of Torment.

There lots and lots of cool guys/gals:

I second that, only ones i didnt quite like was Fall-from-Grace and Ignus
Dak'kon was just... brilliant "Endure, in enduring grow strong..."

lumberofdabeast
2007-04-28, 03:02 PM
I gotta throw in Virgil from Devil May Cry 3. The over the top combat cutscenes are great in that game, and he's got a katana! woo!

Dante as well, but on a lesser level. I'd say he is slightly less cool.

Dante rode a missile around like it was a surfboard.

Nothing tops that.

Drascin
2007-04-28, 03:26 PM
Etna and Laharl from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. Not only are they named after volcano's, but being a demon prince/overlord? What's not to like?

To follow up from Nippon Ichi games, Lord Zetta from Makai Kingdom, who holds the title for "most badass freaking overlord in the entire netherverse" or something to that effect.

I happen to like Durandal's crazy ranting from the Marathon series of games.

I can think of a ton of others, but those are the first to really come.

I'm finding I agree with you in a lot of points, Fish. Laharl, Etna and Flonne are simply the Trio of Awesome. The laughs you get from those three... heh. Also, they get some very cool moments in Disgaea 2 (the little anime sketch is just killer). Talking about Disgaea 2, while the chars have nowhere as much charm as the original game's, I find that Rozalin is growing up on me a lot. Being able to replicate the Second Impact and some other Evangelion imaginery also adds points :smallcool:. And Zetta is also pretty... how shall I put it... "interesting". (Also, little off topic, but as a fellow Haruhist I heartily approve of your avatar and signature choice :smallwink:)

I'd want to nominate Zero, from the Megaman saga, too. I dunno why, but I always liked him, despite the girlish ponytail (seriously, Wily. You create a badass uber-android of mass-pwnage, and you give him a blond ponytail? :smallconfused:. But then, it might have to do with the poor doc being bald. Overcompensation and all that :smalltongue:) and in every game he's been playable I've picked him over X without even thinking.

And, in the bad guy department (well, ok, you could make a serious case for Laharl & co to be bad guys, but eh, whatever), I'm probably going for some KH baddies. Xenahort's heartless had some neat one-liners, and, while not original from the game, I keep saying Maleficent's role in KH is one of the best villains in years.

And I really should go to bed now and come back when I have working neurons, to remember some more.

Dr._Weird
2007-04-28, 07:32 PM
Tassadar. im in ur carrier, klln ur ovrmind

Fenix.

Arthas. (Blizzard is fun!)

Seargent Johnson. (The one from Halo)

Sephiroth.

Uh... I'll think of more later.

Warpfire
2007-04-28, 08:45 PM
It's all about Kratos. That guy is equal parts badass and hardcore.

Mr._Blinky
2007-04-28, 09:09 PM
Master Chief. As people have said, he's badass "in a can".

Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden. Unlike MC, he's not badass "in a can". You know why? Because he cut through the can. You know why? Because Ryu cannot be contained.

Sev, the sniper from Star Wars: Republic Commando. Hell, actually your whole squad in there. The multi-player in that game sucked big time, but the single-player campaign was amazing, short as it was.

Elliot Kane
2007-04-29, 12:50 AM
Fall-From-Grace from Torment. Probably the most female female character I've ever seen in a computer game.

Seraph
2007-04-29, 01:02 AM
HK-47. easily the best robot ever.

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aratech_Repulsor_Company) sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds."

Jerthanis
2007-04-29, 03:34 AM
Yuri Hyuga

What's not cool about being a badass with demonic shapeshifting powers, who commits deicide?

Yup, Yuri is the coolest guy ever. It's been proven... in a lab. Roger Bacon did it when you weren't looking. When he was told the results of the "are you the most badass guy ever?" test he just nodded, saying, "Yeah, tell me something I don't know."

He has surprising depth, and is angsty, but for good reason. He suffers a more than mortal, inescapable curse, and finds out how to escape it, and live his life how he wants.

The only problem was how far his costume degraded from the original to the sequel. He went from a badass in a brown leather trenchcoat to a badass in a suit covered in crosses, wearing a phanny-pack with bells on it. (which, somehow, he makes cool)

Saint George
2007-04-29, 04:24 AM
I would have to vote for Kain as one of the coolest characters.

"Vae Victus"

Edit:
Oh, I would put Dogmeat on the list too. I used more stimpacks on him than any other character. He will be with me to the end.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-29, 04:30 AM
As cool as Kain is, I still prefer Raziel.

Saint George
2007-04-29, 04:47 AM
Raziel was quite cool, but Kain had something else. A slightly more evil spark maybe? Or maybe just the fact that Raziel is being used by just about everyone in their mother. Kain was only used by a couple people and he usually killed whoever did it.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-29, 09:24 AM
I second a vote for Kratos, he's got the evil attitude, but the gore-ripping skill to carry it off without looking like an idiot.

I also go for Wanda from SotC. He kills 16 titanic revered beasts for entirely selfish (evil) reasons. He also eats lizards, so he's clearly cool.

Dr._Weird
2007-04-29, 02:22 PM
Argh, how could I forget Auron?

Uh... let's see. More...

G-Man

Zeratul (Pretty much all of the Protoss are badasses. Excepting like, two.)

The Prince of Persia

Altair (Yeah, already.)

Edgar Figaro (Oddly, I don't find Kefka all that cool)

PlatinumJester
2007-04-29, 02:54 PM
Link from LOZ is pretty call but ada wong from resi takes is the coolest
character ever

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-29, 04:41 PM
Darn it, I somehow forgot Auron too, despite the fact that he's in my sig...

I'd also have to say Gordon Freeman, as "trouble does seem to follow in his wake", and that's always the sign of a cool character.

ChomZ
2007-04-30, 12:21 PM
Yo,
Max from MDK two, who could argue with four uxis, a jet pack and a cigar??

DeathQuaker
2007-04-30, 12:37 PM
Annah from Planescape: Torment. Streetwise, awesome accent, dragon tattoo curling around her thigh, demon blood, spiky red hair, and in a world of ridiculous axes made of intestines and giant hammers and modron crossbows, she kicked ass with streetfighting-blades welded to a pair of brass knuckles. You cannot be cooler than that.

"If I were you, I'd be prepared to pick up your teeth."

Awesome.

----
Honorable mentions:
Kika the Pirate Queen from Suikoden IV. The game was probably the weakest of all the Suikodens, but Kika? Come on, fast-talking, sultry-voiced, Wind-wielding, master of dual-wielded pokey death Kika? I mean, she's a freaking pirate queen. She had all the cool going on.

Geddoe from Suikoden III. Eyepatch, dark without being emo, leather, and lots of zappy zappy power.

Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate II. Best villain ever (bite me, Sephiroth).

I have other favorite characters, but these are the ones off the top of my head that I would call the coolest.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-30, 12:41 PM
Just thought of another.
Joseph "Sarge" Conrad, as found in the game Alien Swarm.
In and of himself, he's nothing terribly special, but he has the most badass person-specific gear ever (http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/131/sargevr7.jpg).

averagejoe
2007-04-30, 12:43 PM
That guy from Mortal Kombat II who could throw his hat. Kung Lao, or something like that. I don't really know anything else about him, but come on, his hat-throwing attack was super-awsome.

Woot Spitum
2007-04-30, 04:44 PM
I'd also have to say Gordon Freeman, as "trouble does seem to follow in his wake", and that's always the sign of a cool character.

Link, Chrono, and Gordon Freeman, absolute proof that being a man of no words equals WIN.

Setra
2007-04-30, 06:47 PM
Link, Chrono, and Gordon Freeman, absolute proof that being a man of no words equals WIN.
Only technically, some times.. words would be helpful.

For example, Serge from Chrono Cross wasn't even close to the cool of the previous three. There are a few others but I can't think of them now.

ChomZ
2007-05-01, 11:09 PM
what about that zealot in the starcraft cut scene who's beam swordy things (sorry I don't know what they're called) died and he got eaten by zerg.. I always thought that guy was pretty awsome.. sorta dead.. but very awsome.. yea

blackout
2007-05-01, 11:17 PM
Sev, the sniper from Star Wars: Republic Commando. Hell, actually your whole squad in there. The multi-player in that game sucked big time, but the single-player campaign was amazing, short as it was.

Ah, Sev, Scorch and Fixer. Los Tres Hombres! Three amigos! Trained killers who like to blow **** up! :)

averagejoe
2007-05-01, 11:18 PM
That's Praetor Fenix. Yeah, he was pretty cool.

"I may be a ripe 397 years old, but I can still... how do you Terrans say it? Throw down with the best of them."

blackout
2007-05-01, 11:21 PM
"I stand corrected."

:) Ah, Jim Raynor, your lines ring true.

Dancing_Zephyr
2007-05-02, 12:02 PM
Caim from Drakengard

Also Reno and Rude

Lolzords
2007-05-02, 12:23 PM
Sarevok Anchev from the Baldur's Gate series, sooooo kickass.

(upon death) No! I...I REFUSE!

Heh heh.

Creeps
2007-05-03, 01:56 AM
I always liked the entire cast of Planescape:Torment, really.

Icewalker
2007-05-03, 01:59 AM
The prince in the Prince of Persia games.

Torin and his little purple shape-shifty pet dude Boogle from the little-known game Torin's Passage.

JellyPooga
2007-05-03, 07:56 AM
The Nameless One from PS:T tops my list.

[any given disbeliever]: (words to the effect of)"What do you mean you can't die?"
TNO: "Here, let me show you"

That's just bad-a.

My favourite incident of this reoccurring scene (in it's many guises) was against the Upper Class thug in the Clerks Ward who has that dudes head in a box. If you choose the right conversation options, you make a bet with him to the effect of; he gets to hit you with his axe as hard as he likes and if you don't die, you get the head...guess what happens. I can't remember the exact quotes, but the dialogue is hilarious (P.S. you can't have Annah in your party to do this I think)

Some Honouable Mentions:
[B]Marcus (Fallout 2) - voiced by Worf!
Dogmeat (Fallout/Fallout 2) - Not only is he mans best friend, but he has an extraordinary number of AP's...
Various MechWarriors from MW2:Mercs - Though some (Jake 'Killer' Ives) are annoying, some of the MW's you can hire are just cool. Special mention goes to Sergeant Unther for some really cool lines in the first mission ("Shoot me even once and I'll tear that beer can you call a 'Mech, into scrap")
The Marine (Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom) - Just for being the only man capable of fighting his way through hell 3 times in one lifetime...and all because they killed his bunny rabbit.
Practically the entire cast of Jagged Alliance 2 (except Ira)- Special mention to Bull and Grizzly ("Bull. Whatta guy"), Mad Dog ("Yep. I'm here and I ate every bug on the way"), Shadow (do I have to say why?) and all the nutters. Oh yeah, not technically a character, but you just had to love those Automags.

Hunter Noventa
2007-05-03, 11:38 AM
Georg Prime of Suikoden V. Why is Georg Prime Cool? He wears an eyepatch not because he lost his eye, but because he's so badass he doesn't need any fancy depth perceptio to be one of the greatest swords men ever. The guy does iajutsu with a broadsword.

Citan Uzuki of Xenogears. He's a master of exposition, unarmed combat, swordsmanship and machinery. And he does it all while wearing green and glasses. He never leaves my party if I can help it.

Emeralda of Xenogears, is made of nanomachines. She reshapes various parts of her body to attack people. Like turning her hair into a spiked ball. Or her lgs into a giant drill. And that's before setting them all on fire.

Archonic Energy
2007-05-03, 11:50 AM
Tassadar. im in ur carrier, klln ur ovrmind

sigged.

extre letters to make the 10 character limit...

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-04, 10:48 AM
I have a certain degree of respect for characters who possess no special talents or enhancements dumped into scenarios surrounded by near-gods (Gordon Freeman, Han Solo, Jim Raynor...). Anybody who thrives on their own skill in situations like that qualify in my mind as 'coolest character'. You can't point at any one reason why they're so good at what they do--they don't have mutant powers, they don't have magical abilities--they're just really resourceful.

Fri
2007-05-05, 10:36 AM
Agree with maldraugedhen. I also like characters without any superpower, that somehow survived against all odds. Sadly I can't think about any example now. Maybe.... Guybrush Threepwood? C'mon, his only talent is he can hold his breath for 10 minutes.

Oh, and I also have certain fetish for goggles, so I always thought that anyone wearing goggles are somewhat cool. Kinda having +1 coolness modifier.

Sadly I have really pathetic memory, so I can't remember any cool character now. Maybe I'll remember later.

PS: On second thought, that whole goggles paragraph is kinda... wrong....

and I also like a lot of character that isn't cool in my opinion. Like that mage from BG, Xan. Really love his pessimistic and bleak dialogue.

Snipers_Promise
2007-05-05, 01:44 PM
The Arbiter from Halo 2. How can you say no to a backstory like that?

Setra
2007-05-05, 01:50 PM
The Arbiter from Halo 2. How can you say no to a backstory like that?
With a lot of practice.. watch!

"No" :smalltongue:

Sephiroth
2007-05-05, 02:50 PM
NO GODAMMIT he is not cool MC is cool bad man bad (lol) don't take that as i " rule i am always right" comment ok anyway i find to be cool is the black mage off FF1 and i show you in a min

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010320
here come on you must amit you LOVE to do that

Shinfai
2007-05-05, 03:07 PM
Lets see:

Master Chief, Courtana, Sgt Johnson, the Arbiter, Gordon Freeman, Ryu Hyabusa and Sam Fisher, ( I am surprised he has not had a mention yet.)

Cubey
2007-05-05, 03:09 PM
NO GODAMMIT he is not cool MC is cool bad man bad (lol) don't take that as i " rule i am always right" comment ok anyway i find to be cool is the black mage off FF1 and i show you in a min

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010320
here come on you must amit you LOVE to do that

Black Mage is plump and weak. The perfect prey.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=070227

Sephiroth
2007-05-05, 04:46 PM
sire you just show that BM will stab anyone so he is cool for 7 things
1 he is and mlack mage
2 he is evil
3 he like stabbing i like stabbing
4 he got hadoken
5 errrrr .......... he kill old people
6 he kill for no reson
7 he smart ^^

also he kill for fun yay he is my role model ^^ and if BM see you he will stab you until you face is red and you can't see anything then blow you up ^^

AmberVael
2007-05-05, 05:12 PM
Have to go with Kain, myself, creator of a whole world of vampires and too proud and too powerful to bow down to things like gods or fate.

Raziel was quite cool, but Kain had something else. A slightly more evil spark maybe? Or maybe just the fact that Raziel is being used by just about everyone in their mother. Kain was only used by a couple people and he usually killed whoever did it.
Hear hear!
Kain is awesome. He has power, really interesting philosophy, and kickass lines.
Seriously.
Though I have to admit, Raziel hit it on the head when he said:
"Every time you show up something monumental and terrible happens... I'm not sure I have the stomach for it."

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-06, 11:54 PM
BM is not smart. RM outsmarts him from time to time. Thief outsmarts him repeatedly, often in the same way as he has in the past. Hell, even FIGHTER manages to pull the wool over his eyes once or twice. If he is dependably fooled by the rest of the party--a group of obvious buffoons, with the possible exception of the simply predictable thief--he needs his head checked. Just about the only subjects BM has down are anatomy (for the stabbage) and breaking the laws of physics.

What I know of the arbiter's backstory makes him a somewhat refreshing character. Too few are the times when we get to play as the screwups, the washouts, and turn them all the way around. Playing the first couple arbiter missions on a friend's X-Box, I got a serious Last Chancers vibe from him, which was awesome.

Also: bonus points for fry for bothering to spell the whole thing out. Although I don't think 'fetish' is the word you were looking for there.

BanjoTheClown
2007-05-16, 09:14 PM
Zidane From FFIX(He has a Tail.)
Vincent From FFVII because i like Guns and Guns Kick ***.

And Last But not Least Mario. Mainly because he stomps on people and has a red hat.:smallsmile:

hanzo66
2007-05-17, 12:17 AM
BM is not smart. RM outsmarts him from time to time. Thief outsmarts him repeatedly, often in the same way as he has in the past. Hell, even FIGHTER manages to pull the wool over his eyes once or twice. If he is dependably fooled by the rest of the party--a group of obvious buffoons, with the possible exception of the simply predictable thief--he needs his head checked. Just about the only subjects BM has down are anatomy (for the stabbage) and breaking the laws of physics.

Well, his "Smrts" definitely varies at times. Most of the time he is immensely foolish and utterly reckless but there are occasions that he is one of the only ones to see what's wrong with a situation (he has pointed out Akbar's scams and was the only one who bothered to see through the Dark Warriors' pirate disguise). It really depends on which would result in him getting hurt the most though.

Icewalker
2007-05-30, 01:20 AM
Started playing Starcraft again, and decided I had to bump the thread to throw in Raynor. What a boss.

2007-05-30, 07:35 PM
The regular zealots from SC are friggen awesome:

"My LIFE for Aiur!"

"I HUNGER for battle!"

"I fear no enemy!"

"For the Kala is my strength!"

"I fear not death, for our strength is eternal!"

Anytime I play a paladin in D&D, its really just a protoss zealot.

Icewalker
2007-05-30, 07:42 PM
Yeah. Zealots rule. The protoss in general are just hellof cool.

Particularly zealots and dragoons. Can't wait for SCII. You just know there'll be an immortal hero.

Setra
2007-05-30, 10:49 PM
Sub-Zero

It's hard to be cooler than him.

Zangor
2007-05-30, 11:18 PM
Tassadar
Fenix
Zeratul
Artanis
Raynor
Thrall
Grom Hellscream
Illidan
Uther

(yes, I love my Blizzard games)

Dante
The Prince of Persia
Gan Ning
Zhao Yun
Liu Bei
Zhang Fei
Guan Yu
various other Chinese generals, in their Dynasty Warriors potrayals
Auron
Marcus Fenix
Dominic Santiago
Augustus Cole
Victor Hoffman
Damon Baird (to a lesser extent, though)

I know I'm forgetting some, but oh well..

Demented
2007-05-31, 01:18 AM
SHODAN
"Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?"

Mmmhmm. Between System Shock (2) and Marathon, I now have a soft spot for malevolent AIs.

Of course, there's also Charnel, from Sacrifice....
(In response to being told that death is not the answer to everything.)
Charnel: "Yes... Torture also has its merits."
But there are some characters in this thread with more, shall we say, charisma than him.

Representing the Blizzard games, there's always Archimonde...

Icewalker
2007-05-31, 11:42 PM
Tassadar
Fenix
Zeratul
Artanis
Raynor
Thrall
Grom Hellscream
Illidan
Uther

(yes, I love my Blizzard games)

Dante
The Prince of Persia
Gan Ning
Zhao Yun
Liu Bei
Zhang Fei
Guan Yu
various other Chinese generals, in their Dynasty Warriors potrayals

I like how I know all these characters. Although all of the Dynasty warrior characters as "that other dynasty warriors guy"

Prince of Persia rules.
Devil May Cry rules (least the 3rd one does, heard the second one sucks, but haven't played it)
HOORAH BLIZZARD. I've been playing Starcraft since I heard about SCII, and also because I never actually beat the campaign, but my brother did. Zeeerg...cept the Zerg don't have cool heroes. The protoss have kickass heroes. Fenix, Tassadar, and Zeratul...
Raynor is pretty awesome though. One of the reasons I really like him is because of his background: he's some sheriff on some backwater planet attacked by Zerg. With a vulture. Then he teams up with Arcturus, overthrows the confederacy, and teams up with the Protoss. woo!
Artanis is the scout hero right?

Illidan. Essence of badass. I like how you can now fight him as a 25-man raid boss in World of Warcraft, except you don't...win...so much. The developers have been quoted as saying "You don't so much kill Illidan as...get in his way."

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-06-01, 05:48 AM
JC Denton is great. Really cool character, he combines the badass movie attitude with a more realistic, human aspect.

DreadArchon
2007-06-01, 03:01 PM
JC Denton is great. Really cool character, he combines the badass movie attitude with a more realistic, human aspect.
And what quips he makes usually caught me completely by surprise, making them all the funnier. ("A bomb is a bad choice for a melee weapon.")

Totally Guy
2007-06-01, 03:35 PM
Torin and his little purple shape-shifty pet dude Boogle from the little-known game Torin's Passage.

I remember that. The best bit is... you spend the entire game tracking down the evil Witch Lycentia and eventually you find her, her back is turned to you and using Torin's spellbook is clearly by far the best choice the situation. Maybe! I played the bagpipes loudly and got a secret ending!

I like the Bard from the Bards Tale. He points out dumb RPG stuff as it is about to happen.

"Hello?! Skeleton in the big chair? We both know you're going to spring to life just as I try to take the key from your hand, so why not do it now?"
"Darn you! You spoil my fun. It's so long since I got to do that."

ufo
2007-06-01, 03:38 PM
Grobnar from Neverwinter Nights 2.

Pure win with awesome frosting! Wendersnaven!

Storm
2007-06-01, 03:50 PM
Barbossa. Rules.

HomerHT
2007-06-01, 03:59 PM
I'm going to toss up Kang the Mad from Jade Empire.

"Next time I hide something I'll hide it under a bomb shaped like a silver banana. Stops thieves, monkeys, and monkey thieves in one fell swoop, yes."

Dragor
2007-06-01, 04:56 PM
HK-47... only one mention? :smalleek:

Who possessed the most cool... well, Master Chief is up there, certainly. He's got the quips, the guts and the grenades- and Cortana, of course. A definite candidate.

Gordon Freeman. He gets a hot girl without speaking a word. How many heroes can lay claim to that? (Well, quite a few non-voice acted Nintendo ones, sure.)

I've never played the FF games, so I can't really comment. But what I've seen from Sephiroth, he does possess an aura of coolness.

Let's not forget JC Denton either. He's just made of awesome.

DreadArchon
2007-06-01, 05:13 PM
I almost forgot: Deekin from Neverwinter Nights. A Kobold Bard/Dragon Disciple, complete with wings, who sings the Invader Zim "Doom Song" as his Bardic Music and who is the most likely character in the game to tell off Mephistopheles (yes, the Lord of the Eighth)? Awesome.

Oh, and Dragoon Kain from Final Fantasy 4. He keeps getting mind controlled and forced to betray the party, but rather than get all emo about it, he just keeps coming back to try to make right, eventually succeeding. Also, he's just generally awesome.

ufo
2007-06-01, 05:20 PM
I almost forgot: Deekin from Neverwinter Nights. A Kobold Bard/Dragon Disciple, complete with wings, who sings the Invader Zim "Doom Song" as his Bardic Music and who is the most likely character in the game to tell off Mephistopheles (yes, the Lord of the Eighth)? Awesome.

Dammit! How could I forget Deekin!

Dragor
2007-06-01, 05:23 PM
Dammit! How could I forget Deekin!

I'm kicking myself right about....now.

*crunk*

Why....why did I forget?

(Don't forget Grovel the Goblin from HotU. "Mm, crunchy. Grovel save this one.")

ufo
2007-06-01, 05:25 PM
Wish I could remember some of Deekin's songs. I think I liked on particulary when you were going ot battle or summin'.

Raven T.
2007-06-01, 10:31 PM
Statement: The fact you have not mentioned HK-47 more just goes to show your meatbag inferiority.

All that aside, I liked most of the cast from both KotOR games.

Haruki-kun
2007-06-01, 10:36 PM
Sephiroth from FFVII is the COOLEST EVER.

Zero from Megaman X is pretty damn close.

But you know who else is freakin' awesome? Riku from Kingdom Hearts.

and Tidus from FFX, though not nearly close enough.

As for Cloud......... well, he has a really big sword.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-06-01, 10:44 PM
The Nameless One!

HK-47, while cool, doesn't have the honour of saying the coolest line ever. HK-50 does.

Setra
2007-06-01, 11:06 PM
Sephiroth from FFVII is the COOLEST EVER.

Zero from Megaman X is pretty damn close.

But you know who else is freakin' awesome? Riku from Kingdom Hearts.

As for Cloud......... well, he has a really big sword.
...I can see Sephiroth, sure, overrated and annoying, but I can see it.

Zero? Sure, why not.

Riku, compared to Sora, is awesome.

But TIDUS?! Tidus is like the anti-cool.

Sephiroth
2007-06-02, 04:23 AM
^ AGREED

well hk-47 and 50 ARE funny or the BEST robots EVER (after bender)
also gilgamesh in ff12 i mean COME on he have to be cool he funny he have a dog ....... have a fake Buster sword gunblade etc
and have 6 blades also can WTF own3d you

Tengu
2007-06-02, 06:19 AM
Locke
Celes
Edgar
Sabin
Setzer
Kefka

Yuffie
Vincent
Cid
Red XIII

Frog
Magus

All party members from Planescape: Torment apart from Vhailor and Ignus.

Minsc
Jan Jansen

Deekin

JC Denton

Gordon Freeman

Thrall
Uther

Jim Raynor
Tassadar
Zeratul
Fenix

Kain
Raziel

Captain van der Decken
2007-06-02, 06:38 AM
Minsc, Deekin, the Prince of Persia and the Master Chief spring to mind.

Jibar
2007-06-02, 06:47 AM

*Deep within the Sauce of the Cat-Muffin, some tiny little spark has just gone out. Further inspection reveals this spark to have been hope. Hope that there was still salvation for your squishy race. Alas, it would seem that he has finally lost it with the mention of Tidus being anything above a little &*"£%$* with daddy issues*

Bleargh. I cannot brain.

Archonic Energy
2007-06-02, 08:03 AM
Agent 47 has to rank quite highly too... i mean he gets to drop chandilieres on people for a living!

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-06-02, 08:10 AM
Zeratul-what is not to love in a voidblade-wielding alien with dark psionic powers?

Darth Traya-she is the best developed character in ANY star wars game up to now.

Raven T.
2007-06-02, 08:17 AM
Personally, I liked Kriea/Traya more for what she said. I didn't find her backstory particularly compelling.

That stated, she does have some of the best lines of them all. Ever.

DreadArchon
2007-06-02, 10:46 AM
Locke
Celes
Edgar
Sabin
Setzer
Kefka

Yuffie
Vincent
Cid
Red XIII

Frog
Magus
All that and no Dragoon Kain? :smallannoyed:

Tengu
2007-06-02, 12:31 PM
All that and no Dragoon Kain? :smallannoyed:

He's too generic and has too little personality (though I admit, he's the best character in FF4) - Cid, or even Freya, are much cooler dragoons.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-02, 12:46 PM
Gordon Freeman. He gets a hot girl without speaking a word. How many heroes can lay claim to that? (Well, quite a few non-voice acted Nintendo ones, sure.)

If you're a Mary Sue then you don't need to say anything. The creator just gives you a hot girl for free.

Garret from the Thief series is cool. He doesn't need decent lines, just anything he says sounds cool. I can't honestly remember a word he's said. It was just cool.

That and his awesome mechanical eye.

Querzis
2007-06-02, 01:22 PM
There would be hundred of cool characters but I'm gonna try to limit myself to three.

1. Thrall. You cant beat the Warchief of the Horde! Ever since I read Lord of the Clans he is my favorite character ever but he is not as cool in the game as he is in the book. Beside, hes an orc with a big hammer and he can shoot lightning! Those are some great lines from him:
«The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything.And I have prided myself on my ability to learn»
«Blackmoore gave me that name so I would never forget that I was something he owned, that I belonged to him. I never will. I will keep the name and one day, when I see him again, he will be the one who remembers what he did to me, and regret it with all his heart.»
«Victory or Death»

2. Wario, I cant believe its the first time someone mention him. Hes a greedy arrogant bastard, who doesnt like greedy arrogant bastard? But the best thing about him is that, in all the wario game, he is the narrator in the booklet and he is hilarious. These are some quote from the Wario World booklet: «All of you are gonna be so happy! Why? Because you get to control the super-powerfull action star that rules the world: me, Wario! I made the controls of the game pretty easy so knuckleheads like you can figure them out without blowing a circuit.»
«Since I'm such a popular guy, even my enemies tend to swarm around me. But just when it looks like they're coming to pester me for an autograph, They'll suddenly puch me in the head! When the punks try that, use the Piledriver to get rid of a group of monster all at once! Suckers!»
«Have a rotten day!»
Its not just the booklets, Wario also do his own publicity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_duHFzZxTJY

3. I cant chose there are so many cool characters...I guess its a draw between Master Chief (who doesnt like cyborg?), Prince Kael'thas (I usually dont like elf but he is so badass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Kael) and Eggman from Sonic the Hedgehog (hes a mad scientist who want to conquer the world).

Dragor
2007-06-02, 02:36 PM
Yet again, how did I forget...? This time, Wario. Man, I'm such a sell-out.

Wario rules.

Penguinizer
2007-06-02, 02:58 PM
Strelok from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. aka "The Marked One"

He takes down practically an entire army of elite troopers for petes sake.

Sephiroth
2007-06-02, 08:45 PM
metaknight from kirby funpack
and
sir meta knight from the cartoon
yes it sir meta knight not sir metaknight but you can have an - instead

hanzo66
2007-06-02, 11:36 PM
I'm just going to name some characters in general...

Thrall: I like the idea of a good-aligned Orc. Rather than that of a brutish savage Thrall is instead an intelligent and noble character capable of acts beyond just smashing things with a hammer. I like counterstereotypes (not so much of the Drow thing though) so Thrall makes the list, even though that guy sure has a LOT of mercy to spare (there are still Warlocks and the Forsaken and the Blood Elf aren't exactly the most trustworthy of allies).

Zeratul: Even though it's been quite a while since I've played Starcraft I still rather like Zeratul's character. For some reason my favorite line has got to be "Damn you, Kerrigan for making me do this..." since it's pretty fun to see a Protoss curse. Plus, Dark Templars are basically the equivalent of Ninjas. That's gotta be cool, right?

Dante: He's got two guns and a sword. That's awesome.

Kratos: I like his character due to his antiheroic personality. His opinion of civilians is "If I kill you now, I can get green orbs to restore my health..." or "This is your purpose. Die with honor!"

Aand... Can't think of too many right now... Maybe later...

PhallicWarrior
2007-06-08, 09:23 PM
Gotta be a three way tie between Roy Greenhilt (YOU...BROKE...MY...SWORD! *SMASH*), good ole MC (Boo.) and Vader (I am altering the bargain. Pray that I do not alter it further.)

Leshan
2007-06-09, 02:52 AM
There are a lot of choices I agree with, but I'd like to throw up a couple of characters that haven't been mentioned yet.

1) Kefka from FF 6. Don't really need to say much as there have been many threads already about him. Guess people just naturally love psychotic clowns who destroy and remake the world after becoming a god.

2) Luca Blight from Suikoden 2. This guy is just a complete badass, and the event when you finally take him down really shows that. It takes several volleys from your archery divisions and three parties of your companions just to weaken him enough so the main character has a chance of taking him down in a duel.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-09, 04:33 AM
HK-47 is made of win! :smallbiggrin:

Marcus Fenix from GOW, ok so he was the main char in the campaign, but he was still made of win!!

Sgt. Johnson (u kno from where!)
City-Swimmer (Oblivion)

Nathander
2007-06-10, 12:26 AM
Kefka Palooza (Final Fantasy VI) - One of the single most powerful and genuinely evil characters in a Squaresoft game. That, and you know...the whole thing about becoming a god and reshaping the world in your own nihilistic image is pretty damn impressive.

Jim Raynor (Starcraft) - While I'll admit I'm one of the five people who hasn't gotten to play Starcraft until recently, I think Raynor is one of the most intriguing characters in the story. He's intelligent, logical, witty, and, most importantly, truly human in his mindset and behaviors.

Yuri Hyuga and Albert Simon (Shadow Hearts) - Yuri, though only in a few mentions, has pretty much been explained. I'm not necessarily surprised Albert Simon hasn't gotten a mention, but I do think he was an exceptionally interesting and fairly cool character. I especially like the plot twist they throw in about him in Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Krelian (Xenogears) - Basically, someone who went from being a simple scientist in a small village to a shadow ruler of the planet's strongest military force/nation, perfecting the science of nanotechnology along the way to extend his own lifespan. Oh, yeah, almost forgot: he helps bring about the recreation of a computer system that basically functions as God.

Wilhelm (Xenosaga) - In many ways, a lot like Krelian, though to a much higher scale in who and what he is.

evisiron
2007-06-10, 04:32 PM
Dog (the giant robot) from Half Life 2. So much emotion in a robotic frame.

HK-47 from Star Wars: KOTOR. Hehe... 'meatbag'.

And finally... Earthworm Jim!

JabberwockySupafly
2007-06-11, 08:39 AM
I cannot believe noone has mentioned the two coolest people in Adventure Game History. Who, might you ask? Why, only that greatest sector of law enforcement in the known (Lucas Arts) World! I'm talking about none other than The Freelance Police, Sam & Max! Do NOT try to tell me they are not cool. From their original PC incarnations to their current episodic nature, they are indeed two of the coolest characters to grace a monitor for the past two decades. Plus, noone has better lines than them

"I can't think of anything more relaxing than being locked in a moving car with a delusional psychotic like yourself, little pal."

"That's sweet Sam, I may weep openly."

Other game characters that inspire coolness in my opinion would be...

Alucard from Akumaju Dracula: Sonata in the Moonlight (AKA Castlevania, Symphony of the Night) Half-human son of the lord of vampires, plus, he gets to wield Crissaegrim... 'Nuff Said.

The main character from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (European Countries may know it as Lucifer's Call): Half-demon with amazing powers he receives from ingesting demonic larva, can summon other demons, really cool glowing "tatoos" and let's not forget the whole fighting against, and later fighting alongside, Dante from Devil May Cry!

Mitsurugi from the Soul Calibur series: Give me a good reason why this badarse samurai should not be included?

Adol from the Ys series: Most of you probably don't know who he is, because most Ys games were never released in English speaking countries so just trust me, Adol is definitely in the top ten of Coolsville's Biggest & Brightest.

All I can think of in terms of ones left out, or at least ones I didn't see.

Cheers!
JS

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-06-11, 08:49 AM
Tie between Garrett and The Vault Dweller.

V I certainly am. How many other Garretts do you know?

Ink
2007-06-11, 08:55 AM
If you're referring to Garrett from the Thief series then I'd be inclined to agree.

Also definitely The Nameless One, and Sephiroth, and Auron is pretty neat too.

Thormag
2007-06-13, 12:33 PM
Max Payne (Max Payne series)
"I would have laughed, if I could have remembered how."

Jim Raynor (Starcraft series)
"Yeah, well... I'm a man of action. What can I say?"

Tassadar (Starcraft series)
"My friends, this is our final hour. Not all of us may survive the coming conflict. Yet, death may be a blessing should we fail here."

Arthas (Warcraft III)

Terenas: My son! What are you doing?
Arthas: Succeeding you... father.

Joshua (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
"Yeah, well... I just happened to be in the neighborhood is all." (not the best quote, but w/e)

Zero (Megaman series)
"I never cared about justice, and I don't ever recall calling myself a hero... I have always only fought for the people that I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears before me, I will destroy it!"

Kerrigan (Starcraft Series)
Fenix: The Khala awaits me, Kerrigan, and though I am prepared to face my destiny, you will not find me easy prey.
Kerrigan: Then that shall be your epitaph.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-14, 11:27 AM
Max Payne (Max Payne series)
"I would have laughed, if I could have remembered how."

Jim Raynor (Starcraft series)
"Yeah, well... I'm a man of action. What can I say?"

Tassadar (Starcraft series)
"My friends, this is our final hour. Not all of us may survive the coming conflict. Yet, death may be a blessing should we fail here."

Arthas (Warcraft III)

Terenas: My son! What are you doing?
Arthas: Succeeding you... father.

Joshua (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
"Yeah, well... I just happened to be in the neighborhood is all." (not the best quote, but w/e)

Zero (Megaman series)
"I never cared about justice, and I don't ever recall calling myself a hero... I have always only fought for the people that I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears before me, I will destroy it!"

Kerrigan (Starcraft Series)
Fenix: The Khala awaits me, Kerrigan, and though I am prepared to face my destiny, you will not find me easy prey.
Kerrigan: Then that shall be your epitaph.

Max Payne is hilarious because he talks to himself like so:

Payne: I ran down the corridor, I turned the corner, I dived behind a crate.
Goon 1 : Hey what was that noise?
Payne: I hid behind the crate.
Goon 2: Hey I think there is someone behind the crate?
Payne: For some reason, I thought they knew I was behind the crate. However they didn't know that I had no ammo left.
Goon 1: He has no ammo left! Kill him
Payne: Oh crBANGBANG...

Thormag
2007-06-15, 05:22 PM
From what I recall he doesn't speak like that out loud... but I might be wrong :smallconfused:

I just loved that game, the whole story is just like a noir film.

Speaking of films, I heard they are going to make Max Payne the film, is that true?

Jack_Banzai
2007-06-15, 06:01 PM
Oh, that's easy.

Snake. Metal Gear Solid III.

blackout
2007-06-15, 06:10 PM
Two words.

Master Chief.

Cortana: Just one question. What if you miss?

Chief: I won't. *jumps out of spaceship with Covenant bomb*

PlatinumJester
2007-06-17, 06:44 AM
Viewtiful Joe is cool (even if he does wear tight red spandex).

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-17, 07:10 AM
Illidan from Warcraft 3. He was the only good thing about the Night Elves :P

Shadow of the Sun
2007-06-17, 07:14 AM
Imprisoned for ten-thousand years. Banished from my own homelands. And you dare enter my realm? You...are not prepared.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!

I can do that quote in his exact voice.

It's tasty.

Tengu
2007-06-17, 07:18 AM
Hmm. Illidas was a bit too whiny-emo for my tastes (though I must admit, he had good reasons for being such), and too fanboyish. I like Arthas more, though Uther and Thrall ae still cooler.

Worst characters from Warcraft? Tyrande and Maiev, with no doubt. For some reason, Blizzard has trouble making cool female characters (I didn't like Kerrigan either).

nooblade
2007-06-17, 01:47 PM
Youtube Xiao Xiao for some awesomely cool karate stickfigure action. Just get the real ones and not the "I'm Xiaoing!!" ones.