PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Some good rules to take from Pathfinder, and homebrew into 3.5 for more enjoyment

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-22, 11:23 AM
So, on the precipice of starting my 3.5 campaign, I have recently started reading about pathfinder online, and while I still prefer 3.5, they have some really really nice optimizations, and I was wondering if the very kind and helpful people of the forum could perhaps give me a short list, of a few things that would be relatively easy to integrate into 3.5, from pathfinder. Some of the things like the no xp cost for spells and item creation, and other things like the feats every odd level, eliminating dead levels etc, are things that sound cool right off the bat for me, though I'll admit, I'm still very green behind the GILLS :smallwink: with pathfinder. So any help you ladies and gents could add would be much appreciated. Thanks as always guys.

Xerlith
2015-06-22, 11:29 AM
Well, skill points are a lot saner. The Paladin class. The Magus. Arcane Archer. Dragon Disciple (a bit better than before, it really is). The Archetypes if treated as bunch of ACFs...

Overall, if you like 3.5 but want to apply the PF solutions to your game, you may actually enjoy doing it the other way round - Playing Pathfinder (with all the mechanics streamlining) BUT approving of using all the 3.5 books + forward-porting some rules (Sneak Attack comes to mind) from 3.5 when needed. That's how I and my group play. Never been happier.

As a sidenote, we mostly handwave the archetypes' "Can't replace the same feature" restriction and treat these as "feature slots", where any of the replacers can fit, but only one.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-22, 11:31 AM
The favoured class rules, they are so much better than multiclass penalties.

Doc_Maynot
2015-06-22, 11:31 AM
The ability of using Craft Construct to make permanent animated objects comes to mind.

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-22, 11:45 AM
Well, skill points are a lot saner. The Paladin class. The Magus. Arcane Archer. Dragon Disciple (a bit better than before, it really is). The Archetypes if treated as bunch of ACFs...

Overall, if you like 3.5 but want to apply the PF solutions to your game, you may actually enjoy doing it the other way round - Playing Pathfinder (with all the mechanics streamlining) BUT approving of using all the 3.5 books + forward-porting some rules (Sneak Attack comes to mind) from 3.5 when needed. That's how I and my group play. Never been happier.

As a sidenote, we mostly handwave the archetypes' "Can't replace the same feature" restriction and treat these as "feature slots", where any of the replacers can fit, but only one.'

I'd love to but, me and my DM do not own the books for pathfinder nor do we have time to go through the entirety of pathfinder, figure out all that is different, and then add 3.5 to it. So, adding a few things from pathfinder is as good as it gets for us.

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-22, 11:47 AM
The ability of using Craft Construct to make permanent animated objects comes to mind.

That sounds very interesting, I never looked at the item creation stuff before so I will take a look.

Will certainly need to look at that too. I heard about it but didn't go into the deep details of it yet.

thethird
2015-06-22, 11:49 AM
I personally no longer DM without The Color Wheel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?157001-Alignment-Replacement-The-Color-Wheel-3-5-PEACH)

Xerlith
2015-06-22, 11:50 AM
'

I'd love to but, me and my DM do not own the books for pathfinder nor do we have time to go through the entirety of pathfinder, figure out all that is different, and then add 3.5 to it. So, adding a few things from pathfinder is as good as it gets for us.

What books? (d20pfsrd.com) There are even online guides (one free from Paizo) that guide you through the transition step-by-step.

DrMartin
2015-06-22, 02:03 PM

+1 to this!

also, removal of xp cost from spells and crafting.

and finally combat maneuvers only taking one roll instead of the whole dancing routine of touch attacks and opposed rolls.

Doc_Maynot
2015-06-22, 02:25 PM
That sounds very interesting, I never looked at the item creation stuff before so I will take a look.

Yeah, they are pretty neat rules for that. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object) (Even better if make a large clockwork one with a cockpit of sorts and an item of marionette possession.) Gives it that Power Armour feel. Usually what I aim for to make with my characters.

Psyren
2015-06-22, 03:03 PM
- Master Craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final), so your fighter can be an accomplished blacksmith without going to Hogwarts.
- Alchemical Items (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances). Also, non-casters should be able to make those too.
- There are lots of spell fixes worth looking at. For instance, Arcane Lock should not be auto-lose to Rogues, and Wall of Iron should not be a source of capital.
- Use PF negative levels; true level loss serves no purpose in D&D except to overly penalize players who don't optimize, and to be exploited by the ones who do through tricks like Do The Wight Thing.
- Use PF light and darkness rules - it's absolutely ridiculous that a Darkness spell can raise the light level in a pitch-black room, but that's what it does.
- Unlimited cantrips.

Katana1515
2015-06-22, 05:57 PM
Most of the players in my group prefer 3.5 (bunch of hidebound 23 year old traditionalists that they are) but their are a number of things that we bring in from pathfinder now almost without question.

1. The skills system, SO much better.
2. XPless crafting/spells. less bookkeeping = more fun.
3. removing negative level penalties for raise dead and such.
4. 1 feat per 2 levels.
5. PF versions of many classes, Sorcerers and Paladins being the most popular.
6. Many of PF's non-core classes can be introduced to 3.5 pretty seamlessly and are a lot of fun. I love to use them for NPCs to keep players more familiar with 3.5 on their toes. Magus, Inquisitor, Oracle, Witch, Gunslinger(if it fits your setting) are all fun and add new life to the game. The newer Hybrid classes are something of a mixed bag, but thats just my opinion!
7. Oh I almost forgot, PF Wildshape/Polymorph Spells, yes its a nerf, but the spells are still plenty of fun and deadly potent and useful.
8. Does your group use Flaws from unearthed arcana? If you do look at PF traits as a possible alternative, they are somewhat smaller bonuses but seem to encourage more RP and backstory (YMMV).

9. my group doesn't do this, but I might push for it next time we play, try using exclusively PF's rules for Races, its a power-boost but also adds more character/interest to race selection.