View Full Version : Permanent magic removal

Luna_Mayflower
2015-06-22, 02:03 PM
In 5th Edition, what spells and/or items can permanently remove a magic item's magical properties?

Thanks.

Azreal
2015-06-22, 04:39 PM
Dispel Magic.

da_chicken
2015-06-22, 07:29 PM
There are no spells that I'm aware of that affect magic items directly. Dispel Magic only removes spell effects, so it does not work on magic items. Even Disintegrate explicitly does not damage magic items. Rod of Negation does not exist.

It's left as an exercise for the DM, as far as I can tell.

SharkForce
2015-06-22, 08:58 PM
generally speaking, the (repeated) application of a mundane large, heavy, solid, hard object is sufficient to remove the enchantment from most enchanted objects. heat, cold, or other conditions may be useful to improve the effectiveness of this technique.

in the event that you wanted the object in one piece after removing the enchantment, i recommend the mending cantrip.

Kane0
2015-06-23, 08:31 AM
Throwing said item into a volcano will usually do it.

XmonkTad
2015-06-23, 09:20 PM
Antimagic field can turn a magic item off for long enough for a regular acid bath. That should do the trick. But there is no single spell to do it. Dispel magic doesn't work, disintegrate doesn't, but that's just by RAW. Ask your DM.

Gurka
2015-06-23, 09:23 PM
Did you try Oxyclean? That stuff gets everything out.

Inevitability
2015-06-24, 01:24 PM
Well, magical items (apart from artifacts) only have resistance to damage, so theoretically your average town guard could punch one to tiny bits if given enough time.

Failing that, try a Sphere of Annihilation. Also, the Talons card from the DoMT can destroy all magical items the drawer has. Putting things in a bag of holding, then destroying said bag would also work. And for those who like to make extradimensional parasites very happy, try a bag of devouring!

lytokk
2015-06-24, 01:48 PM
Is disjunction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm) not a thing anymore in 5e?

rollingForInit
2015-06-24, 02:55 PM
Is disjunction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm) not a thing anymore in 5e?

Not yet, anyway.

kaoskonfety
2015-06-25, 01:45 PM

Having used and been subjected to it on high level characters in 3rd I can see why they left it out (yes... for now...)
- its a no-brainer spell for any encounters with heavilyequipped characters
- being hit by it is not interesting or fun, you just roll ALOT of dice and see what you have left
- it stops a play session for several minutes while MATH happens (all those stats and hit and damage bonuses, now anything derived from those, now a double check)

They want magic to be special and unique, a spell that blasts special and unique off you is just kinda crappy from nearly all role-play, most narrative and many game perspectives.

The fact that there is 'no way' to do it now seems a bit odd, but 9th level Disjunction being absent feels fine to me. Maybe take a page from Teleport Circle and - lower the level, make it single target or fixed area and require a prepared "disenchanting table".

Hit it with a rock till it breaks seems fair nuf for "in the field" disenchanting.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-28, 12:56 PM
In 5th Edition, what spells and/or items can permanently remove a magic item's magical properties?

Thanks.

Well, a Wish I'd say.

Naanomi
2015-06-28, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a good Hermit's Secret; Knows the secret ritual technique from permenantly removing magic from an item, location... Or person...

Inevitability
2015-06-28, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a good Hermit's Secret; Knows the secret ritual technique from permenantly removing magic from an item, location... Or person...

I'm not sure about giving people rigid mechanical options from their backgrounds.

Naanomi
2015-06-28, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure about giving people rigid mechanical options from their backgrounds.
Outlander and Urchin do already.

Make the process slow, ritualistic, and DM dependent (need right alignment of planets, rare componants, etc) and it is a plot device like it usually is anyways

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-28, 05:02 PM
Outlander and Urchin do already.

Make the process slow, ritualistic, and DM dependent (need right alignment of planets, rare componants, etc) and it is a plot device like it usually is anyways

When I first read the Hermit background, my inner DM thought: "that's a cool idea, but can I reliably come up with discoveries or secrets that can be worked organically into a campaign? Sounds tricky..."

But I really like your proposal. It has helped me contextualise the 'feature' and set a benchmark for what a Hermit's secret could be. Thank you!

To the OP, there is no RAW method for destroying magic - Mage's Disjunction is not in any official WotC product yet released. The best you can do is a Wish, or a 'manual' destruction of the person or object holding the offending magicks. *shrug*

rollingForInit
2015-06-29, 12:01 AM
Having used and been subjected to it on high level characters in 3rd I can see why they left it out (yes... for now...)
- its a no-brainer spell for any encounters with heavilyequipped characters
- being hit by it is not interesting or fun, you just roll ALOT of dice and see what you have left
- it stops a play session for several minutes while MATH happens (all those stats and hit and damage bonuses, now anything derived from those, now a double check)

They want magic to be special and unique, a spell that blasts special and unique off you is just kinda crappy from nearly all role-play, most narrative and many game perspectives.

The fact that there is 'no way' to do it now seems a bit odd, but 9th level Disjunction being absent feels fine to me. Maybe take a page from Teleport Circle and - lower the level, make it single target or fixed area and require a prepared "disenchanting table".

Hit it with a rock till it breaks seems fair nuf for "in the field" disenchanting.

It could also work nicely as a ritual. Give it the feeling of being so powerful that it takes several minutes - or more - to even attempt this supreme dispellation.