PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Suggestions for my Bard.

Nibbens
2015-06-22, 02:48 PM
Where should I go with this class/build? Third Party stuff is a no-go.

I'm currently a 3rd Level Dwarf Sound Striker (Bard) specializing in Comedy - fluffed as being a professional insulter. Have points in Craft Alchemy and have been tossing the grenades around as well.

Stats:
str 10
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 9
Cha 16

Feats:
Weapon Focus - Longspear
Dazzling Display

Geddy2112
2015-06-22, 03:08 PM
It's a shame you went the dazzling display route, when you will get blistering invective at level 4. Its a spell that does the same thing as dazzling display, but as a standard action and it causes 1d10 fire damage, plus it can cause enemies to catch on fire for further rounds. Since I assume you have max ranks in intimidate(comedy) it is a solid debuff. You can keep dazzling display for a little while, but eventually you will want to retrain the feat as you will have enough blistering invective/day to do the job, and enemies immune to fear will become common.

I would pick up steel soul to increase your saves against spells, and since it appears you are going for a knowledge heavy bard, breadth of experience gives you an additional +2 to every knowledge skill.

For both theme and mechanics, pick up oratory as your next versatile performance. You will also get weird words at this level further increasing your ranged combat ability. If your going to stick with the longspear might pick up combat reflexes to stand behind your allies and threat AoO's. Grab various close range buff and debuff spells and just stand in the back, using your spear to fight as a last resort.

What are your skills, rest of the party, other gear etc?

Nibbens
2015-06-22, 04:11 PM
It's a shame you went the dazzling display route, when you will get blistering invective at level 4. Its a spell that does the same thing as dazzling display, but as a standard action and it causes 1d10 fire damage, plus it can cause enemies to catch on fire for further rounds. Since I assume you have max ranks in intimidate(comedy) it is a solid debuff. You can keep dazzling display for a little while, but eventually you will want to retrain the feat as you will have enough blistering invective/day to do the job, and enemies immune to fear will become common.

Good to know! I will be retraining then. lol.

I would pick up steel soul to increase your saves against spells, and since it appears you are going for a knowledge heavy bard, breadth of experience gives you an additional +2 to every knowledge skill.

Breadth of knowledge is certainly a grab for me. And I went with Magic Resistant which replaces hardy. Should I not have done that?

For both theme and mechanics, pick up oratory as your next versatile performance.

Theme, I get. Mechanics however... How does oratory help mechanically?

What are your skills, rest of the party, other gear etc?

My skills:
Appraise +8
Bluff +7
Craft Alchemy +6
Diplomacy +7
Knowledge All +7
Perform +9
Sense Motive +3
Spellcraft +8
Use Magic Device +9

Equipment:
Cold Iron Long Spear (with flag) **For use with flagbearer feat and Banner of the Ancient Kings**
+1 Chain Shirt
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Buncha' potions of Cure light and shield
Thunderstones
Pellet Grenades
Sunrods
Other sundry/survival stuff

Other members of the Party:
3rd Level Dwarf Brawler
3rd Level Vitalist Soulthief (yeah, it's 3rd party. My decision to stay with non-third-party material is just prejudice on my part. lol)

Geddy2112
2015-06-22, 05:57 PM
Breadth of knowledge is certainly a grab for me. And I went with Magic Resistant which replaces hardy. Should I not have done that?
Eh, the spell resistance is good, particularly cause you don't have a lot of buffers in the party casting friendly spells. It can be a pain if your allies cast on you. The dwarf SR is not great, but SR is good even when its weak. I think steel soul is better, but its more of a personal choice.

Theme, I get. Mechanics however... How does oratory help mechanically?
It gives you a 2 for 1 deal in sense motive and diplomacy. And since sense motive is wisdom based, you can make it a CHA based skill. Much like your comedy does for bluff and intimidate. The other option would be dance to get acrobatics based on CHA(you probably wont need fly except a couple times)

My skills:
Appraise +8
Bluff +7
Craft Alchemy +6
Diplomacy +7
Knowledge All +7
Perform +9
Sense Motive +3
Spellcraft +8
Use Magic Device +9
Solid skill list. Eventually stop training sense motive and diplomacy for oratory to replace(or just retrain the ranks). You can retrain the ranks from bluff into something else as comedy will cover it.

Equipment:
Cold Iron Long Spear (with flag) **For use with flagbearer feat and Banner of the Ancient Kings**
+1 Chain Shirt
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Buncha' potions of Cure light and shield
Thunderstones
Pellet Grenades
Sunrods
Other sundry/survival stuff

You have a banner of ancient kings at level 3? Or is that just the plan for later? Flagbearer is more important later on when you are not using inspire courage as your default buff because morale bonuses don't stack. You could wait till level seven perhaps to grab it as your feat, maybe even nine. Either way you are pretty stacked on equipment and setup to be a fine buffer/healer. And since the rest of your party is more on the frontlines, they need you for magic and support. I would keep on in this role,

Nibbens
2015-06-22, 07:05 PM
It gives you a 2 for 1 deal in sense motive and diplomacy. And since sense motive is wisdom based, you can make it a CHA based skill. Much like your comedy does for bluff and intimidate. The other option would be dance to get acrobatics based on CHA(you probably wont need fly except a couple times)

Ah, okay. I get what you mean now.

You have a banner of ancient kings at level 3? Or is that just the plan for later? Flagbearer is more important later on when you are not using inspire courage as your default buff because morale bonuses don't stack. You could wait till level seven perhaps to grab it as your feat, maybe even nine. Either way you are pretty stacked on equipment and setup to be a fine buffer/healer. And since the rest of your party is more on the frontlines, they need you for magic and support. I would keep on in this role,

Oh nononono! lol. It's a plan for me to grab the banner later - sorry for the confusion. lol.

Geddy2112
2015-06-22, 09:50 PM
Sounds like you are on the right path! Make sure you keep increasing your charisma and dexterity with magic items and stat boosts, keep up your social skills and pick up handy buff spells like haste. You and your party should be kicking major butt in no time.