PDA

View Full Version : Druids and extra attacks and? multiattack

djreynolds
2015-06-22, 09:04 PM
Hello everyone. Got a new question for the experts.

Can a druid in animal form use the extra attack from multi classing with a martial class, excluding rage or monk?

So is a druid 8/ fighter 12, worth it in the optimizers eye? Does he get three multiattacks?

And druid barbarian, how are the extra attacks gained? From raging?

A dip in monk is for the wisdom AC bonus and not unarmed strikes?

Can the animal form use superiority die?

Thanks for your time.

DethBySquirl
2015-06-22, 09:45 PM
A druid with the Extra Attack feature would NOT get multiple multiattacks. He would, however, get multiple attacks. Multiattack is an action in itself that is different than the attack action, and so Extra Attack has no effect on it.

A druid/fighter would be able to take advantage of forms with a single strong attack that they could use multiple times. A rhinoceros comes to mind. Note that diluting druid levels, though, impacts spellcasting progression and which forms you have access to, so it's not a trade without consequence.

Personally, I'm a fan of Druid/Paladin, because you still get most of your spell progression, you can get Extra Attack, a boost to your saves, and you can burn spell slots for either smites or self-healing.

Druid/Barbarian can be interesting for a dip. Barbarian 3 would get you Bear Totem, letting you take half-damage from almost everything while raging, which can make your temp HP from Wild Shape last twice as long. It might also be an AC boost if you happen to have a form with low natural armor and a high Con. Barbarian 5 of course gets Extra Attack.

Note that for monk or barbarian dips, you don't just get to blanket add your Con or Wis to your AC. Unarmored Defense gives you a different formula for your AC that you can use, which may or may not be better than a given forms natural AC.

djreynolds
2015-06-22, 11:10 PM
Excellent

Now casting spells in animal form is level 18? I'm unsure if I'll live to see that. What other multiclass options do you like? And I miss the shapechanger from NWN. Like Beorn.

Giant2005
2015-06-22, 11:43 PM
In theory, extra attack and multi-attack should stack just as well as a Ranger's and Paladin's Extra Attack abilities. That is, they don't stack at all.
Having said that, I'd be tempted to allow it.
Multi-attack has already been taken into consideration within that creature's CR, so denying them that with their multi-attack does little more than cut out a range of possible Wildhsape options for the mutlclassed druid and it isn't really like it is as OP as it sounds. For example, a Giant Scorpion's 3 attacks total 19 damage on average if all three hit and an Ankylosaurus (Equal in CR to the Scorpion) inflicts an average of 18 damage on its single attack. The game is more balanced by allowing the former to have all of its damage repeated via extra attack, just like you would with the latter.

numerek
2015-06-23, 01:58 AM
Giant Elk Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420494-Giant-Elk-Barbarian) is a multi class druid barbarian build I came up with to take advantage of Giant Elk's attacks. I only take it up to character level 11 and then talk about options you have after that. The barbarian is for the damage resistance(bear totem spirit) and when appropriate the reckless attacking. Because the Giant Elk is a bit of a glass cannon. There are definitely ways to have the build do more damage as long as it can stay in Giant Elk form.

TheOOB
2015-06-23, 03:38 AM
By my reading, you do keep that extra attack ability, but cannot multiattack twice, and I could see an argument that you couldn't use your natural weapons for extra attack, but I don't agree with that.

Extra attack triggers when you take the attack action. Multiattack is not the attack action. That seems to settle that. Ignoring how weak a wildshaping druid with 5 levels of fighter is likely going to be, the system is not balanced assuming multiattack can be used multiple times each turn.

Like I said, in theory that attack action in your human form it for weapons and unarmed attacks, and natural weapons are their own actions in wild shape form and thus not compatible with extra attack, but I think letting you use a single of your natural attacks twice with extra attack is the correct ruling.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-23, 08:13 AM
Hello everyone. Got a new question for the experts.

Can a druid in animal form use the extra attack from multi classing with a martial class, excluding rage or monk?

So is a druid 8/ fighter 12, worth it in the optimizers eye? Does he get three multiattacks?

And druid barbarian, how are the extra attacks gained? From raging?

A dip in monk is for the wisdom AC bonus and not unarmed strikes?

Can the animal form use superiority die?

Thanks for your time.
The AC goes up, you can use your superiority die, you don't have multiple attacks. I'm not sure about the raging extra attack but I think you can use that.

Mara
2015-06-23, 10:02 AM
I would rule that extra attack is a rider to the attack action much like multi attack. They do stack, but not to multi-attack twice. You would do your multi attack and then another attack.