PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Diamond as a special material??

animewatcha
2015-06-22, 10:44 PM
Friends said that diamond was a special material that ignores all hardness, yet was insanely expensive gp-wise. Something about it being in one of the WOTC psionic books. Could someone shed some light on this??

OldTrees1
2015-06-22, 10:48 PM
Might they have been thinking of adamantine[DMG] instead?

animewatcha
2015-06-22, 10:58 PM
No. They specifically said diamond.

OldTrees1
2015-06-22, 11:04 PM

Well it is not in XPH or CPsi (just checked) and those are the only 3.5 WotC psionic books. Maybe they dreamed it after playing Minecraft?

Rebel7284
2015-06-22, 11:06 PM
Deep Crystal is sort of like diamond.

Platymus Pus
2015-06-22, 11:30 PM
Diamond is probably one of the least special materials, Iron is more special.

Strigon
2015-06-23, 11:56 AM
Unless you're planning on playing a Minecraft TTRPG, I don't think you'll find diamond tools in a rulebook.

TheIronGolem
2015-06-23, 12:00 PM
The closest I have ever heard of diamond being treated as a special material in D&D is that it's a component for resurrection spells.

thethird
2015-06-23, 12:03 PM
Diamonds can be used in wands in order to increase the CL of healing spells. (Magic of Faerun)

Other than that diamonds can't be used as special material, at least in 3.5 1st party sources.

Necroticplague
2015-06-23, 12:38 PM
Friends said that diamond was a special material that ignores all hardness, yet was insanely expensive gp-wise. Something about it being in one of the WOTC psionic books. Could someone shed some light on this??

Yes, I can: your friend is full of it. Mundane crystal and deep crystal both exist. They aren't too horrifically expensive (cost to make masterwork and 1000 gp, respectively). Neither have any interaction whatsoever with hardness. Their main benefit is that they ignore things that rust objects or that specifically target metal (given that they aren't), and the latter can be 'charged' with psionic energy to give it a bit more power in an attack.

Urpriest
2015-06-23, 01:15 PM

The word adamantine is based on the word diamond. If they're a non-native English speaker, they might have thought the word would translate to diamond.

atemu1234
2015-06-24, 09:43 AM
The word adamantine is based on the word diamond. If they're a non-native English speaker, they might have thought the word would translate to diamond.

This is a useful point.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-24, 09:46 AM

I can attest this is not the case in Spanish, Adamantine is translated as "Adamantina" (though you are probably right on the root of the word, which I somehow missed).

Sian
2015-06-24, 09:52 AM

to be exact, it comes from the Latin word "Adamas" (which is directly translated into Diamond), or prehaps slightly more likely its from the derived (semi-rare) word "Adamanteus" which, depending on your sources, either means Steel or Unyielding